NYC Cruise Terminal Parking

alyssamma

Hi, I see the parking for the cruise port says first come first serve. Does anyone have experience with it actually filling up? If so, what did you do?

I know there is parking right across the street that is a little cheaper...is that a better alternative?

Thanks in advance.

13 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Hi, I see the parking for the cruise port says first come first serve. Does anyone have experience with it actually filling up? If so, what did you do?

I know there is parking right across the street that is a little cheaper...is that a better alternative?

Thanks in advance.

I've seen it fill up a couple of times in the height of cruise season in mid-summer when multiple cruise lines are using the port, but it's not that common. You haven't said when you're cruising, but at this time with a most a limited number of ships potentially operating and those ships likely to be running at reduced capacity it's extremely unlikely that the parking lots will fill. Even when the cruise terminal is busy you won't have a problem unless you arrive very late.

There are other local lots...not really "right across the street" but we've never used them. To me saving a couple of dollars doesn't outweigh the convenience of being able to jump into the car and leave within minutes of disembarking.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I've seen it fill up a couple of times in the height of cruise season in mid-summer when multiple cruise lines are using the port, but it's not that common. You haven't said when you're cruising, but at this time with a most a limited number of ships potentially operating and those ships likely to be running at reduced capacity it's extremely unlikely that the parking lots will fill. Even when the cruise terminal is busy you won't have a problem unless you arrive very late.

There are other local lots...not really "right across the street" but we've never used them. To me saving a couple of dollars doesn't outweigh the convenience of being able to jump into the car and leave within minutes of disembarking.

Thanks..and you're right. I should have said when I'm sailing 🙂

Taking the Getaway on 3/6/22.

I also prefer to pay a little extra for the convenience of parking there, but don't want it to turn into an inconvenience with a full lot 🙂

But based on what you said, it sounds like March will be fine.  

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

Thanks..and you're right. I should have said when I'm sailing 🙂

Taking the Getaway on 3/6/22.

I also prefer to pay a little extra for the convenience of parking there, but don't want it to turn into an inconvenience with a full lot 🙂

But based on what you said, it sounds like March will be fine.  

Definitely no problem in March when NCL is usually the only cruise line operating out of Manhattan.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 11:49 AM, alyssamma said:

Its actually the opposite-- at $40 a day you are paying less, in some cases significantly less, than most other midtown Manhattan lots. 

1 minute ago, princeton123211 said:

Its actually the opposite-- at $40 a day you are paying less, in some cases significantly less, than most other midtown Manhattan lots. 

LOL, true, but I meant specifically for cruise parking. All of the other lots I've seen are much cheaper than $40/day.

1 hour ago, dewb5359 said:

Following: We are cruising from Manhattan on Carnival Magic 6 July 2022. Driving from DC the day before planning on staying in hotel in NJ (somewhere) then drive in day of boarding hoping parking is available.

I wouldn’t worry too much. It happens so rarely nobody remembers if it actually happened in the past. But there are nearby garages to use as backup if you needed. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, alyssamma said:

https://parkwayparking.com/location/select/Manhattan-cruise-parking

$22/day and you can walk to the port.

I looked it up. If you use this place I would have the driver drop you off with the luggage and then go park the car. The location is a bit misleading it’s close to the terminal but more like five blocks of walking. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

I looked it up. If you use this place I would have the driver drop you off with the luggage and then go park the car. The location is a bit misleading it’s close to the terminal but more like five blocks of walking. 

Thanks, but I don't plan to use it 🙂

That was actually the point of my post...I'll pay a little extra to park in the "main" lot. Driving in NYC is hard enough as it is...don't want to add any stress to that.

• Like 4

The fine print I read on MTP Manhattan Cruise Terminal parking has the following - "Oversized vehicles can be accommodated for an extra $15 per day"  and that would bring the daily total of $37 instead.  I assume that city's sales tax/parking surcharges are included - as otherwise, it's another 19% (rounded up) on top - ouch !

Many, if not most, commercial parking garages in NYC consider minivans, 4WD, pickup truck as well as AWD vehicles as being oversized and/or non-standard, and will impose or charge that extra daily rate - call/ask & confirm that your vehicle is exempt or not considered oversized.  It used to be $5 extra daily, then $10 and now $15 extra - best not be surprised.  

MTP parking garage is on W. 57th Street, which is a good 9 city blocks from the pedestrian or street entrance for MCT at Pier 88 - 12th Avenue at W. 48th Street w. the traffic lights - vehicle entrance to ALL the piers - #88, #90 and #92/94 (seldom used) are at W. 55th Street.  

Last but not least, indoor garages in NY sometimes meant underground & below grade parking - which can be prone or subject to urban flash flooding vs. MCT outdoor parking on the rooftop ... pro's & con's ... I haven't heard, read or come across any specific reports of flooded vehicles in parking garages from "Ida" last week, just a word of precaution.  

• 3 weeks later...

We have never seen the lot fill up.  It can be busy and congested and frustrating.  We starting parking at 470 43rd Street.  Can often find coupons.  A deal right now is $29 a night.   You drive to the garage, check in and they drive you back to the port.  If you do not have a lot of luggage you can get out across the street and avoid the traffic into the terminal.   You can pay extra and the pick you up at the end of the cruise.  One advantage is it is a covered garage if you cruise in winter.

https://www.manhattancruiseparking.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw49qKBhAoEiwAHQVTo8qAu9dYwQuWcwmrwtCzr_86xQL3ZzrTlBHRd15I1KoeOKq8Eo8iYRoC-WYQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 9:17 PM, Got2Cruise said:

I wouldn’t worry too much. It happens so rarely nobody remembers if it actually happened in the past. But there are nearby garages to use as backup if you needed. 

Just get there early and there should be spots available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cricket200 said:

Question - if we arrive in NYC on Saturday (we cruise sunday) can we park at the cruise terminal? Or would we have to find a lot for the Saturday night and then drive to the terminal to park on Sunday?

If there are no ships arriving or departing that day you will not be able to park at the terminal. Even in there is a ship or ships arriving/departing that day the parking deck(s) being used might not be the same as will be used for your ship, meaning that upon disembarkation you would have to trudge to the proper parking deck.

We are blessed to be able to park in a neighbors lot and take car service to the ship.

But one day we may be able to take advantage of the Parking at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

It is gated, security, locked and also High Intense Lights. Looks safe.

Price is around the 25 30's price each day.

20 hours ago, njhorseman said:

If there are no ships arriving or departing that day you will not be able to park at the terminal. Even in there is a ship or ships arriving/departing that day the parking deck(s) being used might not be the same as will be used for your ship, meaning that upon disembarkation you would have to trudge to the proper parking deck.

Thank you!

I’m cruising in a couple weeks.Driving from Exit 4 and looking for parking advice.

What is the present traffic flow for people parking at the port?

My memory is that you enter the port area somewhere north of pier 90.Then you go up the ramp and pay for parking at the pier 90 parking area. From there you drive down to 88, have the security check, drop your bags, park, and go down to check in. 

Now, the check in process and Covid testing takes place at pier 90. Once you clear that you may go to 88 for the rest of the check in. So that leads me to some questions. 

-can I drop my passenger off at the upper level of Pier 90 before I go to 88 to park?

-if so, are there porters there to take my luggage?

-is the elevator at Pier 90 operating?

-if there are not porters at Pier 90, where is a luggage drop?

Thanks for any information.

27 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

What is the present traffic flow for people parking at the port?

My memory is that you enter the port area somewhere north of pier 90.Then you go up the ramp and pay for parking at the pier 90 parking area. From there you drive down to 88, have the security check, drop your bags, park, and go down to check in. 

You enter the parking area at 12th Ave and 55th St. and drive up the ramp to the rooftop level. Last I was there the kiosk where you pay the parking fee was adjacent to Pier 92, but that could have changed  .

I can't comment on the logistics beyond that as they are unique to the current environment . Perhaps someone who has cruised in the last few weeks will see your question and be able to answer. It's also possible that the process may be different for the Crystal Symphony than for the Norwegian Breakaway given the vast difference in the number of passengers embarking, so it may be helpful to identify on which ship you're sailing.