Confused about Check In & Covid Testing

We are on the Sept 25th Encore cruise.   Completed online checking, saw no place to register for Eurofins covid test.  Then we got our E Docs, still nothing about registering for test there, nor did we receive any emails.   The check in time I selected was 10:00-10:30, and I did not understand if we are to get the covid test IN that time frame, how to pre-register, etc.so I called NCL and spoke to an agent.  When I told her we hadn't received anything about registering for the covid test she told me that "NO, you don't need to do that--just "show up with your E Docs".   This did NOT seem right to me, because I have heard many mention pre-registrating for covid testing on this forum.  When I tried to question the agent on this she cut me off and told me she was transferring me to NCL Technical Support.   Tech Support agent told me that yes, I should get an email sometime today (Sept 7th).  THEN she went on to say "this is all "new", so if something goes wrong and you don't get an email where you can pre-register for the test, then yes, we SHOULD just "show up", and there will be paperwork to fill out before entering the testing site.

My questions to the forum are:  Is the time we selected that is printed on our EDocs the time we should arrive at the pier, or report for the test?   Also, has anyone else been told what I was told by the NCL agents?  If anyone has shown up for the covid test and had to fill out some sort of paperwork first, how much time should be allowed for that?

I feel nervous about "just showing up" without pre-registering for that test.  Any advise would be appreciated, THANKS!

I’m on the same sailing. I checked in 100% as of a Saturday, September 4th (exactly 21 days out) but I still have not received the Eurofins email to register for the Covid test. I also haven’t received my e-Docs, was that through email or the NCL website for you?  I’m getting a little worried…

We sailed 8/21/2021. Our email from Eurofins was in our junk mail. So make sure to check that. Once we got the emails, it was very easy to sign up. You can sign up at the testing site - by the time we sailed, there were two separate lines - one for those who had previously signed up and that one went fast. The other kind of slugged along - but there was a huge group of folks who appeared to be from outside the US and there was a lot confusion, and it probably took a long time to get them taken care of.

When we went on 8/21, they did not look at our boarding time, but we took the NCL transfer from the airport, and signed up for the earliest time I thought we would get there, and the testing was in full swing when we got there. I would also recommend doing the NCL transfer if you're flying in. We normally find our own way with a cab or whatever, but because i was worried about figuring out where to go for testing and had never been to the Seattle port, we opted for the NCL transfer. The driver put all our luggage (which we tagged at the airport with our cruise ship luggage tags) and took it to the port for us. the driver talked to us about the testing and dropped us off in front of the two testing sites. And when we got to the drop off, a person from NCL got on the bus and explained the process to us. So even though I read through lots of posts about the testing, this reassured me about what to do. We ended up testing at the Marriot, which was fine, and quick. But very crowded, even though they had two testing centers - I believe the other one that day was at the convention center. The testing itself, once we checked in, was less than 10 minutes from test to result. And we were on our way to check-in for the ship.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip!!! We loved the Encore and hope to sail her again.

I just did the online chat and they were able to release my e-docs. As for the Eurofins testing they said: “I’ve been told that those haven't been sent out for the 9-25-21 sail date yet. Please expect it will arrive today. If you don't receive by tomorrow, let us know.”.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NCLAlaska828 said:

I’m on the same sailing. I checked in 100% as of a Saturday, September 4th (exactly 21 days out) but I still have not received the Eurofins email to register for the Covid test. I also haven’t received my e-Docs, was that through email or the NCL website for you?  I’m getting a little worried…

We got our e-docs on the NCL website, 19 days prior to sail date.  Again, Tech Support told me that Covid testing registration for the Sept 25 cruise would be sent via email today (Sept 7th)  Still haven't gotten it (and I look in spam folder too.  I guess there is nothing to do except to keep on checking, and I will call again if we haven't gotten anything in a few days.

51 minutes ago, newtocruising56 said:

We got our e-docs on the NCL website, 19 days prior to sail date.  Again, Tech Support told me that Covid testing registration for the Sept 25 cruise would be sent via email today (Sept 7th)  Still haven't gotten it (and I look in spam folder too.  I guess there is nothing to do except to keep on checking, and I will call again if we haven't gotten anything in a few days.

No info for us yet either.

I had to call NCL to release my edocs on the 8/28 sailing. The Eurofins pre-registration just saves you a bit of time, so if you're unable to do it ahead of time it's not a big deal. The time you pick for check-in is the time you arrive for your covid testing.

42 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

I had to call NCL to release my edocs on the 8/28 sailing. The Eurofins pre-registration just saves you a bit of time, so if you're unable to do it ahead of time it's not a big deal. The time you pick for check-in is the time you arrive for your covid testing.

TY!

5 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

If I pick the earliest arrival time, can I just show up at any time?

I would certainly try to be somewhat close to when you think you'll get there. If everyone picked 10am but only 10 people showed up, and the rest came at 1pm - that'd be an issue for logistics. If you're flying in day-of with a 10am arrival, most of those folks didn't get down to the pier until around noon-ish. So an 11 or 11:30 time would have been fine for erring on the side of optimism, without hogging earlier times unnecessarily. 

If you're flying in the day before, pick the 9:30 time slot, get it done and out of the way, then go back to actually get on the ship whenever you want. Once you've got your key card you skip all the lines essentially except security and show the key card with your passport (photo ID) and get on the ship whenever you want.

We are sailing on the Breakaway out of NYC on the 26th. Completed the online check in first thing Sunday morning. We have also not received any information about registering for testing at the pier. Just chose 9:30-10:00 as our arrival time.

Just received the Eurofins email, finally! However I was under the impression we would choose a testing time but I don’t see anything about choosing a time? You just register your info with them to get a barcode and that’s about it. 

30 minutes ago, NCLAlaska828 said:

Just received the Eurofins email, finally! However I was under the impression we would choose a testing time but I don’t see anything about choosing a time? You just register your info with them to get a barcode and that’s about it. 

Your testing time is your check in time. We were scheduled for check in from 10:30-11:00. We got to the port at 10:00, went directly to testing, they took us in right away, no lines.   We were done  with that, as well as checking in with NCL, and onboard before 11:00 am.   

Edited by LNielsen
Typo
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, NCLAlaska828 said:

I received my email this morning too. Yay!

1 minute ago, LNielsen said:

Your testing time is your check in time. We were scheduled for check in from 10:30-11:00. We got to the port at 10:00, went directly to testing, they took us in right away, no lines.   We were done  with that, as well as checking in with NCL, and onboard before 11:00 am.   

Perfect! 

10 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Still nothing for me or any of my family members on the 9/26 Breakaway sailing.

We're on the 9/25 Encore. Maybe your email will arrive tomorrow. It will be from ncl.

We are on the 9/25 Encore.  The first message in my email this morning was from NCL Tech Support saying that there is no longer a place to register for Covid testing on their check-in site, that I should get an email from Surofins "soon", and if I don't, to contact Eurofins, NOT NCL.

Not long after reading this I DID get an email from Eurofins, so we were able to register for the test.

Very glad we were able to get that sorted out.  Thanks to everyone who has answered questions and offered insight about the test registration process.

14 minutes ago, knitlady037 said:

About how long is the turn around time to get results back? Wondering if I should let the person bringing us to port should wait before returning home.

15-20 mins. I got a text the result was ready before my number was up on the board. Wasn't too long.

14 minutes ago, notworkste said:

15-20 mins. I got a text the result was ready before my number was up on the board. Wasn't too long.

Thanks. I am getting all my ducks in a row, but plan on getting a rapid test the day before also. I'll let them make the decision about waiting. I am getting test crazy. Have had to get tested so much in the past few months for different procedures it's like second nature now. 

1 hour ago, knitlady037 said:

Thanks. I am getting all my ducks in a row, but plan on getting a rapid test the day before also. I'll let them make the decision about waiting. I am getting test crazy. Have had to get tested so much in the past few months for different procedures it's like second nature now. 

When you're getting the results, do not look down at the screen of the person giving it to you. There is a big red band across it that says something like Test Results, or Candidate Test Results. It's just a banner on the application they are using, but when I glanced down, a big red band is usually a warning, and I thought for a second my results had come back positive!

• Haha 1

On 9/8/2021 at 3:11 AM, Sailing12Away said:

I would certainly try to be somewhat close to when you think you'll get there. If everyone picked 10am but only 10 people showed up, and the rest came at 1pm - that'd be an issue for logistics.

It was a rhetorical question.  IIRC, NCL limits people for each time slot, so everyone could not pick 10am.  First come, first served.  We're flying in the day before, will pick the earliest slot available, and try to get there no later than that.  Last time, the hotel shuttle to the pier had a flat tire, so stuff happens.....