Esprit sold?

TER777

Apparently there is post on the Crystal Society FB page by someone saying their April cruise is cancelled due to Esprit being sold. Certainly all the Esprit itineraries to 2024 show ‘Call for Availability’. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't be surprised...  The economics of the ship won't work in the current climate and the foreseeable future, and her sister has been listed for a while.  Without incentive travel right now, that market is also causing drag. 

I talked about her function as the bridge to launch the yacht/expedition market in the past, so while I think Covid has certainly complicated this process and timeline, I don't think her overall function ever changed in that regard.

Vince

• Like 1

Unfortunately the report is true.... We were booked for the December 23, 2021 Seychelles cruise for Christmas and New Years and just received an e-mail confirming cancellation.  Very disappointing, but we'll figure out a new plan for our holiday. 

3 minutes ago, crickette said:

Another one of ER's expansion ideas for Crystal bites the dust.

In fairness to ER, Esprit's primary function was to bridge the launch of the eventual expedition brand and gauge the interest in certain small-ship features pre-newbuild, so we can't actually ding ER for that until they sell Endeavor...  Which may also eventually happen.

Vince

The two ocean ships are operating at about 25% capacity sailing from US ports. That works out to 16 guests on Esprit, and Esprit, for the most part, sails on "the other side of the world". Frankly, I am more concerned about what is going to happen to the staff, especially the "old hands" like Clarke, than I am about the sale of the ship! We did 14 nights on Esprit in 2018, and while we really enjoyed it, for us, given its limited itinerary options, it was mostly a "one and done", and I suspect we are not alone in that assessment.

14 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

In fairness to ER, Esprit's primary function was to bridge the launch of the eventual expedition brand and gauge the interest in certain small-ship features pre-newbuild, so we can't actually ding ER for that until they sell Endeavor...  Which may also eventually happen

It was a long bridging period - I guess exacerbated by the construction delays on Endeavor

I recall it was a “gift” from Genting - you know the kind you can hardly refuse…

Given Endeavor’s sailing with such low numbers now maybe they should have kept Esprit (yes yes I know it doesn’t have Zodiacs and isn’t polar class rated etc etc) 

Having said that I have to say I’ve never seen a negative review of the Esprit experience and everyone I’ve talked to who has sailed on her loved it 

We were booked for June 2022 Italy-Croatia cruise on the Esprit, which is the 3d rescheduling due to the pandemic.  We have never taken a cruise before and have no interest in large ships, so we have been excited about this trip.  So we are extremely disappointed to get the email today from Crystal announcing the sale.  Alternatives might be  Sea Dream Yacht Club or 2023 sailing on brand new 100-passenger Scenic Azzurra.  Or Windstar which I know is a different experience from Crystal.  Very bummed out!

5 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

It was a long bridging period - I guess exacerbated by the construction delays on Endeavor

I recall it was a “gift” from Genting - you know the kind you can hardly refuse…

Given Endeavor’s sailing with such low numbers now maybe they should have kept Esprit (yes yes I know it doesn’t have Zodiacs and isn’t polar class rated etc etc) 

Having said that I have to say I’ve never seen a negative review of the Esprit experience and everyone I’ve talked to who has sailed on her loved it 

It was actually a short bridge…. Usually you start with a hull that is in-house or you have access to immediately, you refit it with wireframe concepts you want to test (basic versions of concepts you envision, that allow for some evolution of feedback), and then you gauge feedback that can be used to build the much more expensive new builds that need to be more defined and specific.  You normally try to get 6-8 years out of that concept ship before you have to either sell or extensively reconnect that ship, but because it’s a pilot, that ship rarely stays for the long haul…. But it’s happened.  At the same time you learn, you also build the brand in that market or a pretty closely adjacent market (like here).

I was specifically expecting her to go if/when the second expedition ship launched, barring some huge expansion back into incentive stuff.  Of course Covid makes a ship like that impractical during Covid, since it requires density to break even.  Endeavor is much more spacious and allows for far more flexibility with its diverse interiors.

IIRC, Esprit did have zodiacs at one point — that was one the features they should have been studying, even if not used exactly the same.

Vince

IpswichChris.  I was totally anti cruising for years after many wonderful independent trips through Europe. In 2018 we took my inlays on a cruise to Alaska to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.  Even though we had a lot of issues with my FIL I was SHOCKED at how much I enjoyed it!  Took 2 more cruises in 2019 - another Alaska with my daughter on Crystal and a river cruise on AMA (that one I probably would not do again).

I was so impressed with my crystal experience that I'm using some inherited money to take myself and my husband on the Symphony over the holidays for our 30th.

If you had asked me 4 years ago I would say I would never have an interest in cruising:)

• Like 2

I just checked Crystal's media center.  There is no announcement of the Esprit sale.   You would have thought that Crystal would have announced this officially via their web site rather than all of us finding out about the sale from the trade press and Crystal Society facebook entries.   Just another example where Crystal needs to improve their communications.

28 minutes ago, newcruiser58 said:

IpswichChris.  I was totally anti cruising for years after many wonderful independent trips through Europe. In 2018 we took my inlays on a cruise to Alaska to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.  Even though we had a lot of issues with my FIL I was SHOCKED at how much I enjoyed it!  Took 2 more cruises in 2019 - another Alaska with my daughter on Crystal and a river cruise on AMA (that one I probably would not do again).

I was so impressed with my crystal experience that I'm using some inherited money to take myself and my husband on the Symphony over the holidays for our 30th.

If you had asked me 4 years ago I would say I would never have an interest in cruising:)

Thanks...it's interesting to hear that we might be converted to enjoying a larger ship.  Will definitely keep your opinions in mind!  That being said, the idea of sitting on the Esprit  with no crowds whatsoever,  along with the level of service and access to smaller ports was really appealing😗

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

The ship looked fine from the front.  Once you saw a side view or from the rear, it was just a visual mess.

Official Announcement from Crystal re Esprit sale

CRYSTAL ESPRIT ANNOUNCEMENT
Crystal Announces the Sale of Crystal Esprit

Issued: Tuesday, September 7, 2021 6pm EST 

Today, Crystal announced that it has sold Crystal Esprit.

Crystal Esprit has been a wonderful part of the Crystal fleet offering a boutique yachting experience unmatched in the industry, earning the devotion of discerning travelers and winning awards since her debut in 2015.  

However, as we have been evaluating our focus post pandemic, the single, small yacht concept does not fit into future plans for the company as we continue to concentrate on the successful deployment of our Crystal Ocean, River and Expedition fleets, as well as exploring new builds for expansion.

We extend our heartfelt gratitude to the officers and crew who worked passionately to make Crystal Esprit a unique vacation and look forward to welcoming them aboard the other vessels in our award-winning fleet.   

We are contacting all affected guests, and their travel advisers, with details of this cancellation along with their compensation and rebooking options. We encourage all affected guests to contact their travel advisor to assist them in selecting the future voyage/s of their choice, and invite them to visit crystalcruises.com to review the voyage collections for each Crystal experiences

https://www.crystalcruises.com/advisory-alerts 

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, miklinga said:

Unfortunately the report is true.... We were booked for the December 23, 2021 Seychelles cruise for Christmas and New Years and just received an e-mail confirming cancellation.  Very disappointing, but we'll figure out a new plan for our holiday. 

feeling sorry for you as well -  i was booked on the esprit for the same cruise 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

there were some negative reviews in some Belgian - dutch language - blogs concerning the noises of the airco and engines and the fact on a Dubai Dubai cruise late November it was not possible to use the "sports"  items 

I only did one cruise on her -  2 were cancelled by covid and now no Seychelles during holidays because she is sold 

and yes she was sensible to waves ...😄 another cruise memory

• Like 1

20 hours ago, IpswichChris said:

Thanks...it's interesting to hear that we might be converted to enjoying a larger ship.  Will definitely keep your opinions in mind!  That being said, the idea of sitting on the Esprit  with no crowds whatsoever,  along with the level of service and access to smaller ports was really appealing😗

Have you ruled out Endeavor? That doesn’t sound like it’ll have crowds!

Actually, I can’t recall thinking I’m in a crowd on Symphony or Serenity, either.

• Like 1

We had a really fabulous Seychelles cruise on the Esprit a few years ago. The only downside (to me) was that there are no balconies and I would have really enjoyed having one on such a hot destination. We really enjoyed the ship and wanted to do a Venice to Dubrovnik itinerary one day 😞

37 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

Hopefully this will allow Crystal to pay off the travel agents and passengers who are stilled owed cancellation money.

Flog it one more time, just in case it took a breath when you weren't looking.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Flog it one more time, just in case it took a breath when you weren't looking.

+1

Yes you’ve got to love the passion if not the actual knowledge 

If the reported comments from the TA are true then it looks like that consortium is in for a long battle with Crystal - interesting given the previous close relationship both claimed