Laundry (American Queen)

adstz

We leave in about 4 weeks for our trip from Memphis to New Orleans. We will be traveling for 14 days total.

I'm curious about laundry onboard the American Queen. Can I do my own (if need be)? Is their service good and reliable? Is it expensive?

I hope to do some wash at our AirBNB before boarding but will still need something done to get us all the way home wearing clean clothes.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Not really mentioned anywhere. When we were checking in on the American Duchess (2 week Mighty Mississippi) last month, I asked the Hotel Manager. He said just ask your cabin attendant for a laundry bag.

Sure enough, upon asking, our room attendant provided a bag and laundry form. $20 per bag, back the next day. We did that a couple of times. 

We were prepared to do our own laundry in the bathroom and, as it turned out, didn't have too!

Perhaps similar on the Queen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, we just booked that same cruise this afternoon. Laundry is up on 4 midship. They have had soap available in the past but we always bring a couple of "pods" just in case. Pretty informal and not often crowded.

Looking forward to getting back on the Queen after this whole Covid thing. Sailed on Empress earlier this summer and their Vaccine Policy gave us a sense of safety.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 9:59 PM, willift said:

Hi, we just booked that same cruise this afternoon. Laundry is up on 4 midship. They have had soap available in the past but we always bring a couple of "pods" just in case. Pretty informal and not often crowded.

Looking forward to getting back on the Queen after this whole Covid thing. Sailed on Empress earlier this summer and their Vaccine Policy gave us a sense of safety.

We just booked the NOLA to Memphis, cruising on Nov 15. Riverboat cruising is totally new Toni’s and we’re looking forward to it.  
My booking agent said the food is wonderful. I’m going to see if I can find any type of menus.

Edited by midwestchick

6 hours ago, midwestchick said:

We just booked the NOLA to Memphis, cruising on Nov 15. Riverboat cruising is totally new Toni’s and we’re looking forward to it.  
My booking agent said the food is wonderful. I’m going to see if I can find any type of menus.

I'll try to remember and take some camera shots of the menu.

If your interested in history & museums, NOLA has a great WWII Museum and Memphis has the National Civil Rights Museum, both worth a side trip if you're into that kind of thing

29 minutes ago, willift said:

I'll try to remember and take some camera shots of the menu.

If your interested in history & museums, NOLA has a great WWII Museum and Memphis has the National Civil Rights Museum, both worth a side trip if you're into that kind of thing

Hubby has never been to NO so he may want to see the Crench quarter, Bourbon St., etc.  Neither of us have been to Memphis so we may just do Beale St. Deciding now if we should stay extra days 

Pics of the menu would be great 

13 hours ago, midwestchick said:

Hubby has never been to NO so he may want to see the Crench quarter, Bourbon St., etc.  Neither of us have been to Memphis so we may just do Beale St. Deciding now if we should stay extra days 

Pics of the menu would be great 

Frankly I think Beale St. is over hyped.  IMHO the Civil Rights Museum is not to be missed.  Sun Records is also a great short tour.  Both are an easy hop on the trolley (as well as Beale St. for that matter).  Some great BBQ places but they're not really on Beale St.

28 minutes ago, ericosmith said:

Frankly I think Beale St. is over hyped.  IMHO the Civil Rights Museum is not to be missed.  Sun Records is also a great short tour.  Both are an easy hop on the trolley (as well as Beale St. for that matter).  Some great BBQ places but they're not really on Beale St.

Thanks.  We will have time to squeeze both of those in.  They are on the agenda. I’m reading about the many restaurants. 
I have a friend and former high school classmate who is very familiar with Memphis. He was guitarist for Eddy Rabbit and was part of a local band here in high school. I’ll ask him if he wants to do lunch and get his recommendations as well. 

• 1 month later...

For those who may be interested.  We got off the Queen a week ago. The cost is $20 per bag as previously stated.  We each got 5 days clothes into a bag.

The tag on it said "in by 9 out by 5". Purser said that was incorrect. 24 hour return.

We gave them our clothes at 8 am on a Tuesday.  They were back in our room around 3 pm on Thursday. They were clean but unwearable because they were so wrinkled. I had to go to the 4th floor laundromat and throw them through the dryer with a wet towel to get the wrinkles out.  Needless to say we didn't pay for the poor service.