Covid Protocol changes

kevboy

8 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As P&O cancelled this, they should also be offering a refund. I would take the refund. . Better the money in my coffers than theirs! 

Hopefully John is given the choice.

Given the circumstances it would be nice if John and others in the same position were offered extra FCC or OBC for the inconvenience and upset they are having to endure.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Well the dreaded protocols have just caused us to be bumped off the 9th October Britannia cruise. So much for Moleys expectation that there would be a relaxation announcement shortly. This extract is from todays e-mail:---

Due to our framework of protocols to protect the health and wellbeing of all crew and guests we are currently operating at a reduced guest capacity and we need to take an approved number of cabins out of service. As a result we need to move some guests into an alternative cabin from the one initially confirmed.

Unfortunately there are no available accessible cabins remaining for this cruise, meaning the holiday you had booked will not be able to go ahead as planned. We are so sorry for the disappointment that this will cause.

Genuinely sorry to read that this happened.  Hopefully you will find something suitable to replace this cruise.

My TA has just received the following from P&O:

Testing prior to disembarkation and going ashore in some destinations

We organise testing which will be required to disembark the ship in Southampton, per UK government requirements, and testing that may also be required to go ashore in various destinations on your itinerary. These tests will be available to purchase on board. Currently, the majority of ports we visit this year do not require entry testing. However all guests disembarking in the UK are currently required to take a re-entry antigen test. All requirements are subject to change. During your customers’ holidays, destinations on their itineraries may have various documentation requirements. Your customers are responsible for meeting the entry requirements of each destination but we will be happy to guide them through all testing and documentation needs on board. P&O Cruises cannot accept responsibility if they are denied entry to a country because they do not meet its entry requirements.

Updated Shore Experiences Policy

From 25 September, guests will be able to go ashore independently but must adhere to the specific COVID-19 protocols in each destination. However, as restrictions in each destination are changeable, and some destinations may only allow cruise line organised experiences ashore, we highly recommend your customers purchase P&O Cruises shore experiences prior to travel to ensure they always have the option to explore each destination. We will arrange options for organised P&O Cruises shore experiences and health protocols such as social distancing, face masks and sanitising will be in place to protect the well-being of all guests and crew.

For your peace of mind, we will not visit a country on the UK government’s red list at the point of travel.

Guests need to organise a PCR test to be taken within 48 hours after returning to the UK

If your customers’ cruise holiday calls at ports outside of the UK, they must organise a PCR test to take within 48 hours after returning home. This is a requirement of the UK government and applies to all guests aged five and above who are staying in the UK after their holiday. It is essential that your customers book their day two PCR test in advance of their holiday as they need to provide the booking reference on the Passenger Locator Form (PLF). This is to be arranged independently by the guest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2021 at 8:05 AM, Josy1953 said:

It is good for those with children if P&O allow them to travel provided they have negative PCR and LFT tests but I wonder if the decision may come back and bite them.  If the press is to be believed these tests show a lot of false negatives.

We all know that being double vaccinated does not prevent you from being infected but my experience is that a lot of older people are still very worried about being near to non-vaccinated people and I wonder if allowing unvaccinated children on board will deter them from cruising with P&O.  It could be good news for other cruise lines where vaccination is a condition of boarding.

Thanks for posting that info. It would seem that the return test will be available from P&O direct then which would simplify things a lot. I also like the fact that independent shore trips will be allowed.  Perhaps I will get my coffee and cake in Germany this year!

13 minutes ago, Bgees said:

Thanks for posting that info. It would seem that the return test will be available from P&O direct then which would simplify things a lot. I also like the fact that independent shore trips will be allowed.  Perhaps I will get my coffee and cake in Germany this year!

If you mean the pre-arrival test, yes the test will have to be provided by P&O - no other option really, given that they have to be supervised. I wonder how much P&O will  charge!   But the Day 2 test has to be booked independently. 

Edited by wowzz

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

Thanks Graham . The weather has been kind and exploring a new ship is always interesting. Some good things like the greater selection of restaurants and entertainment. Some not so good. Beach house is now free, but TBO not much cop. Glass house food menu is not great, but the keel & cow and Olive grove are worth a go. We haven't used the MDR much but the quality is still ok. We prefer it for a quick lunch. On balance We prefer Britannia, but will no doubt sail on Iona again.

Interested to know why you prefer Britannia, we think it is far too bland for us and were hoping Iona would be a bit more glamorous.

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As P&O cancelled this, they should also be offering a refund. I would take the refund. . Better the money in my coffers than theirs! 

Yes we are taking the refund, the 125% FCC might be attractive if they allowed it to be set against existing bookings, but of no interest to is as we have cruises booked up to Feb 2023.

• Like 2

Hi Terrierjohn sorry to hear the news of losing booking .May I ask when you booked your cruise ? We booked late for iona in October this year think it was June and have wondered if they may do this although cabin next to us is still available to book but you never know 

52 minutes ago, daiB said:

In the new protocalls have we noticed you can get off independely after Sep 25.

Yes I was just about to say that.  However all these PCR tests are a flaming pain.  Still think I might transfer to 2023.  It also says you can eat with other people, not just your own bubble.

Edited by jeanlyon

2 hours ago, jonnoguy said:

My TA has just received the following from P&O:

Testing prior to disembarkation and going ashore in some destinations

We organise testing which will be required to disembark the ship in Southampton, per UK government requirements, and testing that may also be required to go ashore in various destinations on your itinerary. These tests will be available to purchase on board. Currently, the majority of ports we visit this year do not require entry testing. However all guests disembarking in the UK are currently required to take a re-entry antigen test. All requirements are subject to change. During your customers’ holidays, destinations on their itineraries may have various documentation requirements. Your customers are responsible for meeting the entry requirements of each destination but we will be happy to guide them through all testing and documentation needs on board. P&O Cruises cannot accept responsibility if they are denied entry to a country because they do not meet its entry requirements.

Updated Shore Experiences Policy

From 25 September, guests will be able to go ashore independently but must adhere to the specific COVID-19 protocols in each destination. However, as restrictions in each destination are changeable, and some destinations may only allow cruise line organised experiences ashore, we highly recommend your customers purchase P&O Cruises shore experiences prior to travel to ensure they always have the option to explore each destination. We will arrange options for organised P&O Cruises shore experiences and health protocols such as social distancing, face masks and sanitising will be in place to protect the well-being of all guests and crew.

For your peace of mind, we will not visit a country on the UK government’s red list at the point of travel.

Guests need to organise a PCR test to be taken within 48 hours after returning to the UK

If your customers’ cruise holiday calls at ports outside of the UK, they must organise a PCR test to take within 48 hours after returning home. This is a requirement of the UK government and applies to all guests aged five and above who are staying in the UK after their holiday. It is essential that your customers book their day two PCR test in advance of their holiday as they need to provide the booking reference on the Passenger Locator Form (PLF). This is to be arranged independently by the guest.

I’m not entirely sure that P&O are correct to to say that the majority of ports to be visited this year do not require pre entry testing. I’ve just searched a few typical Caribbean island destinations and they all seem to want a negative  PCR test up to 72 hours before arrival. Even if it’s possible to use a test more than once for different islands, on a typical 14 night Caribbean cruise, passengers would probably need at least 3 or 4 PCR tests each.  I note the tests will be sold on board, but this will add a lot to the holiday cost. I wonder if you can use OBC for buy the tests or whether they’ll attract a Peninsular Club discount 🤔

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Interested to know why you prefer Britannia, we think it is far too bland for us and were hoping Iona would be a bit more glamorous.

Iona is similar in many ways to Britannia in terms of  'Style '. If you believe Britannia is bland, then I would guess you will feel Iona is similar.There are some good points on Iona that puts it a bit above Britannia but the overriding impression to us is that it is too big. Not big enough to put us off in future, just a recognition that it is so blooming big.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

If you mean the pre-arrival test, yes the test will have to be provided by P&O - no other option really, given that they have to be supervised. I wonder how much P&O will  charge!   But the Day 2 test has to be booked independently. 

Pre arrival test doesn't need to be supervised. It can be a lateral flow test but you need to get the result certified and a certificate issued. 

17 hours ago, Malcolm142 said:

If you decide not to get off the ship when in a port, I presume you do not have to take a test?

When you go ashore can one test last two or three days. Normally Caribbean ports are consecutive days so you would not need a test every day.

25 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’m not entirely sure that P&O are correct to to say that the majority of ports to be visited this year do not require pre entry testing. I’ve just searched a few typical Caribbean island destinations and they all seem to want a negative  PCR test up to 72 hours before arrival. Even if it’s possible to use a test more than once for different islands, on a typical 14 night Caribbean cruise, passengers would probably need at least 3 or 4 PCR tests each.  I note the tests will be sold on board, but this will add a lot to the holiday cost. I wonder if you can use OBC for buy the tests or whether they’ll attract a Peninsular Club discount 🤔

I researched these yesterday based on the 1 January itinerary and some of the islands are insisting on specific companies and tests.  One quote was for US$150 for the required test.  Nowhere do P&O quote a price for these Prenetics tests either.  I assume they might have a deal with the islands?

It was mentioned on here earlier that the American cruise lines visiting the islands are not having to test for entry.  Does anyone know if this is fact or just assumption?

34 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Pre arrival test doesn't need to be supervised. It can be a lateral flow test but you need to get the result certified and a certificate issued. 

Yes, I did not phrase my post correctly. Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes I was just about to say that.  However all these PCR tests are a flaming pain.  Still think I might transfer to 2023.  It also says you can eat with other people, not just your own bubble.

It is interesting that all those who were “ crying before they were hurt” as my grandmother used to say, are not saying that they were wrong and P&O are going to let people off. BTW i did mention a possible change 2/3 days ago. As one notable other did.

6 minutes ago, daiB said:

It is interesting that all those who were “ crying before they were hurt” as my grandmother used to say, are not saying that they were wrong and P&O are going to let people off. BTW i did mention a possible change 2/3 days ago. As one notable other did.

Give people a chance, the news has only just been released ! 

Anyway, everything is subject to change at any time, so it could end up being the case that, on some cruises at least, independent exploration isn’t allowed. So the ‘people that cried before they were hurt’ would end up being right.!

I think the key thing is to remember that nothing is set in stone and to expect change. 

• Like 2

So, a few thoughts from me:

These protocols have been weeks, months, in the planning and are accurate as of the point they were published. As we know only too well, things change and the protocols cannot predict everything.

P&O won't visit red list countries. That means short notice changes may happen. Equally if its a port where provisioning is happening, the ship may make a technical stop with no one allowed off. This is outside the hands of P&O and based on the UK Gov advice.

Onto Testing. Yes only a LFT needed for re-entry approval to the UK. Administered onboard by Prenetics staff and should be fairly cheap. I thought it was going to be free. I would say the press release is ambiguous as it may just be testing to go ashore that is chargeable. I'll try to find out.

As for Passenger Locator Forms, I believe that Wi-fi will be free for completing the PLF. There was even the suggestion of repurposing the Photogallery touch screen computers to allow PLF forms to be completed but not sure where that got to.

myholiday is getting better but not ideal. This is a mid-way step as the ultimate aim is for Ocean Medallion to be rolled out however there was not the time to do the physical procurement, installation and training ahead of restart. Medallion has proved very popular on the Princess Staycations.

Finally, P&O have great experience of getting all passengers through onboard immigration procedure as quickly as possible - think Barbados or the US. Things won't go smoothly the first time but they will get better.

This really is the next big step on returning to normal cruising and I know from talking to lots of crew that the are really pleased to see you back on board and are ready to help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Oh yes, as for going ashore on your own..... its been coming and was waiting the success of initial excursions on Britannia and Queen Elizabeth plus vaccine rates increasing around the ports of call.

If a Covid case does get on board from independent shore visits, it doesn't mean that the company has failed. Protocols are in place to deal with it and minimise any impact... something MSC didn't do very well last week!

Hi molcrochip I get confused by the minute easily done .from your comment you say only lft test needed for re_entry to UK will be administered on ship, but surely we need still to book day 2 pcr test ourselves ,or am I completely wrong ?

One more thing. If you re-entry test is positive you will need to isolate together with any close contacts. Depending upon cruise, you will either be disembarked at the next port or Southampton/Barbados.

Strict protocols are in place for disembarking a passenger with a positive test, and getting them home safely. You won't just be loaded on your pre-planned coach in Southampton.

In Barbados, you won't be allowed on to your flight. I've not yet got to the bottom of whether you will get a quarantine hotel on the Island or remain on the ship in isolation until you're quarantine is up.