Upgrade frenzy happening

mommysoncruiser

3 hours ago, jmoak said:

Please let us know your response. I'm in the same boat where I booked on Cheers package but the basic price has been reduced so I'm hoping I could get OBC or upgrade as well...THanks, jmoak

The response was...for an extra 200 each we could upgrade to balcony and keep cheers...which didn't really make sense since balconies now much less than the Oceanview we have. He didn't offer OBC. We declined the "offer" . Oh well...worth a try!

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

I don't gamble on cruise ships at all, but I got a reduced rate on the Legend because the price keeps dropping.

My response was not for you, it was for Encore 37.  Your situation I already congratulated on about 9 hours ago with post #57.

48 minutes ago, pinto18 said:

The response was...for an extra 200 each we could upgrade to balcony and keep cheers...which didn't really make sense since balconies now much less than the Oceanview we have. He didn't offer OBC. We declined the "offer" . Oh well...worth a try!

It made sense because the prices you were comparing did not include the Cheers package which was already factored in.  Your other option would have been to drop Cheers, take the balcony and the OBC which would have been the difference between what you paid and what the balconies are now going for.  You have Cheers at a reduced rate, enjoy!

15 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

My response was not for you, it was for Encore 37.  Your situation I already congratulated on about 9 hours ago with post #57.

Exactly, and that is what I was replying to. Here are your *exact* words from that post, bolding added...

9 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Congratulations to all of the gamblers that continue to get their fabulous rates all of the time.  And to all of you sailing on the 23 non Excel Class ships that are able to obtain price drops in these trying times because of the basic economic supply versus demand.

All of these ships are currently in my rear view mirror and my 4 current Mardi Gras and single Celebration bookings are currently not cheaper than when I booked.   It's worth it to me to pay a premium to sail on a ship that is comparable with the best of what the competition currently has afloat. 

So, to break it down for you since you didn't understand how my comment made sense...

1) I don't gamble...that's in reference to the first bolded section.

2) I happily take price drops of the Legend...that's the second bolded section.

3) I will also happily take it on the MG...this is in reference to the other sections. You said it is worth it to you to pay a premium...I'm happy to not pay a premium for the same product. In fact, I'm *never* happy when I have to pay a premium for *anything*. Will I pay it? Sure. Happily? Nope.

Hopefully you understand now how my comment fits in.

Have a nice day!

12 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Exactly, and that is what I was replying to. Here are your *exact* words from that post, bolding added...

So, to break it down for you since you didn't understand how my comment made sense...

1) I don't gamble...that's in reference to the first bolded section.

2) I happily take price drops of the Legend...that's the second bolded section.

3) I will also happily take it on the MG...this is in reference to the other sections. You said it is worth it to you to pay a premium...I'm happy to not pay a premium for the same product. In fact, I'm *never* happy when I have to pay a premium for *anything*. Will I pay it? Sure. Happily? Nope.

Hopefully you understand now how my comment fits in.

Have a nice day!

The difference is that I am paying a premium to cruise on the newest ship in the fleet and will do so on my next 5 Carnival bookings.  It's worth it to me because Carnival has finally decided to up their game with the Excel Class.  They have made a few mistakes like not giving the suite people the same type of perks that they get on other lines and they also dropped the ball regarding the Havana area when compared to the Vista Class ship's.

But they have upped their game with the new two tiered Tiki Bar as well as the upgraded Fortune Teller Bar and Brass Magnolia Bar, more areas to indulge in upgraded craft cocktails besides the Alchemy Bar.  These upgraded bars are where I will be enjoying my Cheers package.

The Mardi Gras is unlike anything else in the fleet, so I willl pay extra to sail on her.  Could not care less if gamblers get their cabins for practically free.

Edited by SNJCruisers

25 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

The difference is that I am paying a premium to cruise on the newest ship in the fleet and will do so on my next 5 Carnival bookings.  It's worth it to me because Carnival has finally decided to up their game with the Excel Class.  They have made a few mistakes like not giving the suite people the same type of perks that they get on other lines and they also dropped the ball regarding the Havana area when compared to the Vista Class ship's.

But they have upped their game with the new two tiered Tiki Bar as well as the upgraded Fortune Teller Bar and Brass Magnolia Bar, more areas to indulge in upgraded craft cocktails besides the Alchemy Bar.  These upgraded bars are where I will be enjoying my Cheers package.

The Mardi Gras is unlike anything else in the fleet, so I willl pay extra to sail on her.  Could not care less if gamblers get their cabins for practically free.

I think you didn't take the time to read my post. I'm sailing on the MG too...but not paying a premium and not a gambler. I just got a good deal.

37 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

I'm happy to not pay a premium for the same product. In fact, I'm *never* happy when I have to pay a premium for *anything*. Will I pay it? Sure. Happily? Nope.

Read that carefully...it applies to the MG.

So, bottom line, you are happy paying extra for the MG...great. Me (and others I suppose) would rather get that same product and *not* pay a premium.

But Carnival needs people like you who pay extra for the same things others pay less for. So thank you!

Have a nice day!

20 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

I think you didn't take the time to read my post. I'm sailing on the MG too...but not paying a premium and not a gambler. I just got a good deal.

Read that carefully...it applies to the MG.

So, bottom line, you are happy paying extra for the MG...great. Me (and others I suppose) would rather get that same product and *not* pay a premium.

But Carnival needs people like you who pay extra for the same things others pay less for. So thank you!

Have a nice day!

So, time to lay your cards on the table.  What type of cabin are you sailing in on the MG, when is your sailing and how much did you pay? And be specific, I don't care about pre paid grats or insurance or taxes.  What was the rate you paid and then we'll compare as to whether you got a good deal or not.  When I said I was paying a premium that was comparing a cabin on the Mardi Gras to the older 23 ships in the fleet.

And trust me, I've been frugal probably for longer than you've been alive. 

3 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

So, time to lay your cards on the table.  What type of cabin are you sailing in on the MG, when is your sailing and how much did you pay? And be specific, I don't care about pre paid grats or insurance or taxes.  What was the rate you paid and then we'll compare as to whether you got a good deal or not.  When I said I was paying a premium that was comparing a cabin on the Mardi Gras to the older 23 ships in the fleet.

And trust me, I've been frugal probably for longer than you've been alive. 

LOL, I don't think you realize how old I am...but it really seems like being "better" is important to you.

So I'll let you think you're older than me. I'll let you think you got a better deal/are more frugal (even though I'm completely lost as to how someone could be frugal forever yet still happily pay premiums...to me those are opposites, but whatever).

So...you won. You are both frugal *and* you pay premiums for things...no way I can compete with that.

Have a nice day.

p.s., I have a 7C Balcony for $1758 for 2 people for a week. To me that's a good deal, but I'm sure you did better since you are frugal.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

LOL, I don't think you realize how old I am...but it really seems like being "better" is important to you.

So I'll let you think you're older than me. I'll let you think you got a better deal/are more frugal (even though I'm completely lost as to how someone could be frugal forever yet still happily pay premiums...to me those are opposites, but whatever).

So...you won. You are both frugal *and* you pay premiums for things...no way I can compete with that.

Have a nice day.

p.s., I have a 7C Balcony for $1758 for 2 people for a week. To me that's a good deal, but I'm sure you did better since you are frugal.

Great rate, but I would never sail on a balcony on Carnival.  I prefer inside cabins and use the price difference towards Cheers.  And on the subject of frugality, I pay for everything Carnival related with 10% discounted Carnival gift cards from Allstate, saving me 250 +.  Enjoy your MG cruise.  When is it?

5 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Great rate, but I would never sail on a balcony on Carnival.  I prefer inside cabins and use the price difference towards Cheers.  And on the subject of frugality, I pay for everything Carnival related with 10% discounted Carnival gift cards from Allstate, saving me 250 +.  Enjoy your MG cruise.  When is it?

I also use the 10% discount cards but from AARP (because I'm old 🙂 ). Both Legend and MG I paid 100% with gift cards, including Cheers and my deposit.

I sail Sept 2022

I guess I pay the premium for a balcony...I've done an inside (never on Carnival), and it just isn't for me. My wife doesn't like them either.

I also get Cheers as I'm an alcoholic when on vacation.

4 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

I also use the 10% discount cards but from AARP (because I'm old 🙂 ). Both Legend and MG I paid 100% with gift cards, including Cheers and my deposit.

I sail Sept 2022

I guess I pay the premium for a balcony...I've done an inside (never on Carnival), and it just isn't for me. My wife doesn't like them either.

I also get Cheers as I'm an alcoholic when on vacation.

AARP cards are great because you don't need points to buy them. I just joined and will be getting my cards from them since Allstate requires points to purchase. 

3 minutes ago, mommysoncruiser said:

AARP cards are great because you don't need points to buy them. I just joined and will be getting my cards from them since Allstate requires points to purchase. 

Yep...they just limit the # you can get each month...but between my wife, me and my sister in law we can get $7500/mo...so that is more than enough 🙂

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 12:04 PM, jsglow said:

Absolutely not.  It depends if the rate you booked has Price Protection.  You must submit the form that can be found on their web site.  Once approved, compensation will be in the form of OBC as you are already Paid in Full.

My travel agent just got back to me and he was able to get us almost $600 additional onboard credit!! Awesome 👍😁

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 9:01 PM, alyssamma said:

Yep...they just limit the # you can get each month...but between my wife, me and my sister in law we can get $7500/mo...so that is more than enough 🙂

Do you use a rewards card to purchase your gift cards, and have you had any trouble with the card issuer getting butthurt about it?  I gave up buying large quantities of gift cards for liquidation when the issuers started cracking down, and I think I've managed to scare myself away from even legitimate purchases!

19 minutes ago, Virga said:

Do you use a rewards card to purchase your gift cards, and have you had any trouble with the card issuer getting butthurt about it?  I gave up buying large quantities of gift cards for liquidation when the issuers started cracking down, and I think I've managed to scare myself away from even legitimate purchases!

Yes, I use a card that gives me 2% cash back to purchase...never had a problem.

• Thanks 1