Anyone want to lose 15 to 20 pounds?

Kudos2Fly

I joined a post for people wanting to lose weight by the end of December 2005. Some of us have hung in there past the date. So I decided to start a new thread.

Plus when I get back from my cruise I'll probably be back up to 135. My goal is to get down to 120 and be in shape. No goal dates on this one, only the one you set for your self.

I hope the people that were on the old thread join this on if you didn't make you goal.

Kim

Hi Kim!

I was going to suggest we start a new thread! Thanks for doing it!

I want to report I weighed in yesterday & lost 1.5 in 1 wk. Not sure what I really did differently this week that I hadn't been doing the weeks beofre - but maybe the muscle I've been building has finally started to rev my metabolism a little more!

Angela - to reply to your post on the other thread....

Sha--I don't use very many cardio machines at the gym. I take the aqua aerobis, weight training classes and kick boxing. I use to use the cardio equipment for months and noticed no changes. i began taking the classes and I began to lose inches not weight.:( My clothes fit better but the tummy flab just won't go away.

Is your "tummy flab" made of fat, or just loose skin? (Mine is both :rolleyes:). There's not much you can do about loose skin, except surgery :(. But if it's fat, then you might need to up the cardio a little. The only way to lose fat is to burn it off. You can build up your abs with crunches & other "core" exercises if your ab muscles need toning, but if it's fat, no amount of crunches or ab work will "spot reduce" you.

Kick boxing & water aerobics are both great cardio workouts, but like I said before, your body gets "used to" doing the same thing on a regular basis & doesn't burn as many calories if you're doing the same workouts over & over. Try this experiment - IN ADDITION to everything you already do, try adding 15-20 minutes 2x week on different machines for the next month. Or just take a brisk walk outdoors. Just try to make sure you break a sweat by the time you are done. If you don't have the time to add to your workout (who does!) ask your instructors in your classes to watch you & see if you are really working as hard as you can - or if there's a way to kick it up a notch.

Without changing anything else, that should rev up your metabolism & help you lose a few lbs - hopefully in the midsection!

Sha

Sha is right. I don't remember were I herd this. But Americans don't sweat enough. I walk for 1 hour but not a hard walk. After I get back I plan on starting to sweat more. Its starting to warm up here (FL), so I'll start a hard work out when I get back from our cruise.

I need to lose about 15 pounds. It seems like they all came on in the last few years. I know I need to exercise more, but it seems like it is so hard to find the time. I think my biggest problem area is my stomach. That's where my extra pounds have decided to gather and I don't think they're moving anytime soon.

Hi,

I have lost 25 lbs since Nov and my goal is to lose 20 lbs before our cruise on April 29th. That averages appox 2 lbs a week. This is doable!!! I keep telling myself that anyway. I am doing WW along with treadmill & crunches. Though I didnt make it to the gym this past week. :mad:

Welcome Kimberly & Brandy

Brandy - Congrats on your loss so far. :D While 2lbs per week IS doable - just work as hard as you can toward losing before you cruise, but don't get "stuck" on the number on the scale. If you are losing the right way (no starvation stuff - eating good food in the right quantities), plus exercising regularly, you will be much healthier & much slimmer, even if you don't reach the "magic number" by Apr 29.

Kimberly - While crunches & other core exercises can firm up the tummy area, only cardio-type exercise will get you to burn fat all over & help you reduce your tummy. As stated all over these boards here, the tummy seems to be the hardest area to lose from. :(

Good luck to you both!

Sha

Hi everyone!

Yes!!! I want to lose 15 lbs before I cruise this year. I have 11 weeks to meet the challenge. The DH and I recently joined Bally total fitness and we go on the weekends. It's great because they have a day care and our DS is 7. I don't know how much I weigh right now but I would guess close to 150. I know that a normal comfy weight for me is 135-138. One reason I have packed on the pounds is because I commute for 3 hours every day. It's really tough just sitting in the car. Not to mention I work in a cube farm.

I did Atkins 2 years ago and lost about 12 lbs and gained them all back within a year and then I tried South Beach and I was only able to drop 6 lbs before straying back to my old habits. I know you shouldn't "diet" it's supposed to be a lifestyle change...however it's really hard to do in my opinion.

So...I'm here to lose that stubborn 15 lbs and hopefully meet some great new people to help keep me motivated and share experiences and ideas with on the way to the "goal."

My plan is to cut out junk food (like "low fat" pringles and chocolate) and to exercise more while also increasing that good ol' H2O intake.

So...I'll be heading to the gym in the a.m. before work.

I'll be back!!!!

Ann

Well, I have given up my weight lose for the time being... I'm going to weigh my self on Saturday before we take off for the airport. That way I'll know how much weight I gained in a week.

After we get back I plan on getting on a schedule to exercise and whatch what I eat. Also add water in to my way of eating... My weigh in day will be on Tuesdays.

My goal is to get down to 120 and be in shape. I don't know how long that will take me. I do know that there will be times during family get togethers and holidays that whatching what I did will be hard. But I'll make my goal this time.

Kim

OK, I found a scale. I weighed in at 149.2 this morning. I exercised as promised and I feel pretty good about it...no pringles and no chocolate today!!! One day at a time right. 135 here I come!!! :p

Kudos2fly...Enjoy your cruise...mine doesn't leave for 11 weeks!!!

Do you fly a plane? :confused:

Well...I guess my weigh in days will be Wednesdays.

I already have my gym bag packed for tomorrow!!!

Ann

Is 135 your goal? If it is that's not to far off. You can make that in 11 months with out a problem...

Yes I do fly, I fly the plane behind my husband and I in the picture. He bought the Cherokee in 1999 I think and we have been flying her since then. I have been flying for 8 years now :D. Gee how time flies.....

Kim

:D I went out of town this weekend and came back with ahorrible cold. I have plenty of threads to read.

The skiing trip was a bust because it kept snowing and the roads were closed. Since I came back with a cold:o I haven't wanted much to eat. I guess that is one way to lose 15-20:D . I'll touch base a little later on in the day when all of the daycare kids are asleep.

Angela

:mad: I am determined to make weight of 135 before I cruise one year from April. I keep bouncing around 140. a pound or two either side. The sweet toothe appeared it's ugly head today. I broke down and made white chocolate chip cookies with dried cranberries in them. They were very tastey.

I know by saturday morning I will have kicked my cold and I will be back at the gym.:rolleyes:

Kim-enjoy your trip. Where are you cruising to?

Cobra- We'll both approach 135 at the same time. I will weigh-in on Saturday morning when I get to the gym. I do believe I am at 144:eek:

Welcome Ann!

Hi All!

My cruise leaves on Wednesday next week, but after tomorrow, I probably won't be online - too much to do! :D I weigh in today at my chiropractor's office, so I'll try to post tomorrow.

Kim - don't go too far off your WOE & WOEX on the cruise - I'm hoping to stay the same - by eating everything (or at least tasting) in moderation. Last year's cruise I gained only 1 lb - I walked like a fiend EVERYWHERE, never took the elevators, limited my alcohol intake to 1 beer a day & a couple of glasses of wine over the week. I stuck to the "lower cal" entrees at dinner, but tasted everyone else's that looked good too. (We cruised with a group of 7 last time - 14 this time!) When I go thru the buffets, I've realized that I don't have to PILE my plate - a taste of everything is really sufficient - and if I'm still hungry, I do go back for seconds, (but that doesn't happen as often these days!)

Sha

hi all,

20 pounds is the minimum weight that i am trying to lose before my hubby and i leave for our first cruise (for our 5th anniversary) at the end of may. i feel that this is totally do-able (well, i did at the beginning of the year) but it has seemed slow going as of late (i got a bad cold and haven't been able to go to the gym), but starting tomorrow i am right back on my WOE and WOEX. i have lost 10.5 lbs since january 1st - which is the most successful i have ever been at losing:)

so, good luck to you all in your weight loss - and i will plan to drop in every once in a while as motivation to help me on my way.

btw, my ideal loss before the cruise is 35 to 40 pounds - but i would be quite happy with 20!!!

jocey

Is 135 your goal? If it is that's not to far off. You can make that in 11 months with out a problem...

Yes I do fly, I fly the plane behind my husband and I in the picture. He bought the Cherokee in 1999 I think and we have been flying her since then. I have been flying for 8 years now :D. Gee how time flies.....

Kim

Oh...how I wish it was 11 months...no...11 weeks is what I'm actualy aiming for.

I couldn't imagine "driving" an airplane. How neat is that!!! I have a motorcycle...it doesn't lift off the ground thought!!! :D :D :D

Good luck on your goal of 120!!!

Ann

Well, I did it again!!! Made it to the gym before work this morning. I didn't do too well eating today though...I had icecream and a cupcake at lunch after my salad....:eek: Celebrating birthday's at work...I couldn't resist. No pringles and no chocolate though!!! I didn't even drink a soda today. I only drank coffee and water come to think of it...OK..well I did have that Cosmo at dinner. OMG....:eek: I'm not going to make any progress like this. MUST WORK HARDER at the diet. It know it takes both exercise and diet...I just need to stay focused and keep my eyes on the prize!!!!

Talk to you all soon.

Gym again tomorrow!!

Ann

jocey - congrats on your loss so far. You're right to look at this in smaller goals = 10, then 20, and so on. If I had looked at the "big picture" when I started, I would have never started! Focus on inches lost & learning healthy eating & exercise habits - that way you will be able to maintain everything you lose!

ann - although I HATE keeping a food journal - I do it every now & then so I can be mindful of portions & "junk" that creeps back in. Try a journal for a couple of weeks - be diligent about writing down everything as you put it in your mouth, portion size & what time. (Don't wait til theend of the day, you'll forget some stuff if you don't write it as you do it.) Don't worry so much about jotting down the calories right away, unless they're right there in fornt of you. Every couple days, total up the calories. Then you can figure out what your weaknesses are & when you tend to eat the "bad stuff", so you can make sure you have GOOD stuff handy, instead!

I want to report my losss from yesterday - 1.25 lbs - woohoo! I had gained 5 lbs in January, & have not lost all 5 yet, but I also know over the last 2 months I've increased my wt training, so hopefully a little bit of my gain is muscle! I'm down 59.5 since Sept 2004. I hope over the next couple weeks while I am in Fla & cruising, I don't do too much damage! :p I haven't gained more than a lb on my last 2 cruises, so I should be OK! Probably won't have a chance to post again until after the 10th - so bye bye til then!

Sha

Hi, Kim and Sha - its Dan from the old board (posting under a new ID that doesn't include my real name). Makes me look like more of a novice poster than I really am, but that doesn't make much difference to me.

Well, I've strayed the past several weeks but am getting back on track in terms of the exercise and dieting.

I've got a lot to lose - but we'll get there!:rolleyes:

Well at least for a week or so. I just weighed my self 135 right now.

Sha, I don't plan on going crazy on the cruise. I do have wine that I plan on drinking. But mainly at night and probably only about 1 or 2 glasses. We aren't big drinkers by any means. I'm sure I"ll get plenty of walking in. I'll see what my weight is like when I get back.

DayCare, well you still can get the weight down in 11 weeks ;). As long as you stick to your work out plan and way of eating.

Well see everyone in a week or so and Sha have fun on your cruise.

Sha, I think I will have to try the food journal. It's been easy to get to they gym, but hard to be disciplined about what goes in my mouth.

I didn't work out yesterday because we had a birthday party for my son...I did however stay away from the cake!!!

I was able to work out for 1.5 hours today at Bally's though. That was great!!! I love it that they have daycare.

I will weigh myself in the a.m.

Kudos...when we grow up...we want to get cruisers...most likely will be Harley's. :D

I'll be back at they gym in the morning!!! Must tone, must sweat...must burn calories!!! :D :D :p

Kudos to fly: Luckily my trip isn't until April of 2007.

Cobra: I do the journal entries and it is helping a lot. I don't exactly write down the portions just what it is that I have eaten. That alone is scary enough.

My diet actually really does suck. I can't stay away from Sugar:eek: . I love to bake with my daycare kids reguarly. If I didn't bake I wouldn't have a problem.

For the last week and half I have been very sick. I am finally getting the energy to move about. I am going to the gym tonight for the first time in 2 weeks.

Daycare..good for you...heading back to they gym!! I know EXACTLY what you mean about sweets!!!

I'm headed off for a few days but I should be back on the boards by Friday. I have to go out to St. Louis, MO for work.

No gym today... :( but I am doing laundry!

cobra...laundry always counts as exercise in my house!:)

i'm getting over a cold that has kept me out of the gym for the last week or so, so of course my weight will be going up, up, up since i'm not working out ... anyone have any suggestions about lighter exercises that i can do at home while i am recovering, so that i can get back to the gym with a reasonable routine instead of ramping everything down basically to the beginning? i just hate it that i was making real progress and then got sick:(

as of last week i made my first goal of 10lbs lost - time to get rid of the next 10!:D

jocey

Jocey-Take your time and recover. You don't want to have a relapse of your cold. That is exactly what happend to me. After three weeks I am finally starting to get back into the swing of things.

Cobra- have fun in St. Louis. Becareful of the weather that is coming your way. instead of taking the elevator take the stairs. Pretend that you are on a cruise ship climbing deck to deck.:o

Archived