Crockett

Good News for Freedom sailing to Cozumel

I've found some good news regarding the Freedom of the Seas docking in Cozumel, this is a copy and paste from the Mayor of Cozumel.

February 10th, 2006 by Steve Bridger filed under News, Cruises, Cozumel

Cozumel mayor Gustavo Ortega Joaquín announced yesterday an investment of US$40m dollars to ready the island’s cruise ship piers for the next generation of even bigger vessels.

Ortega commented to journalists that the Punta Langosta pier in San Miguel de Cozumel would welcome the world’s largest cruise ship, the Freedom of the Seas, in June.

The 160,000-ton, 3,634-passenger vessel (pictured, right, at the Aker Yard in Finland) will be the largest cruise ship in the world when it debuts in May 2006.

Currently, cruise ships are mooring offshore and ferrying in passengers by tender.

Wow, that is good news. Does that mean that the pier will be ready in time for the Freedom when it starts the Western Caribbean run or is it just stating that (eventually) Freedom will dock there? Thanks for sharing the info!

Derek

That is great news as we will be in Cozumel in September on Rhapsody. If the one pier is open who gets it? If there are 4-5 ships in that day how would they decide who docks & who tenders?

I wonder if RCCL put a little bit of Heat under cozumel to do this???.... It would be a pain to tender all of those people, and I assume there is a little prestege in saying that the world's largest cruise ship comes here every week.

It would be awesome if the ship docked at Langosta since it is the downtown pier. And because tendering is harder on the bigger ships, due to the surplus of people, I am speculating they would take the 2 largest ships on the dock each day.