Jump to content

The Daily for Friday September 10, 2021


richwmn
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Hi all!  Back at home relaxing and just had my first liquid to swallow.  I was supposed to wait an hour and it's been almost 3 hours now.  Weird feeling at first.  They numb you with lidocaine-soaked gauze pads (small and thin pads) with a blue string attached to them.  He pushes them up your nostril so far it's rather uncomfortable.  Then the lidocaine drains down your throat.  Yuck!  Tasted terrible, felt awful so I'm sure glad that's over with!  And the string is to pull them back out.  The camera goes in and he looks your interior over carefully.  He urged me to look at the monitor so he could point out things.  Apparently I don't have adenoids so they must have been removed with my tonsils as a child.  Never knew about the adenoids.  The verdict - I am just fine.  Nothing bad in there at all.  He gave me a prescription for an expensive nasal spray for post nasal drip to see if that helps with the cough.  Other than that he could refer me to a pulmonologist.  I think I'd rather just learn to live with the cough.  

 

So I'm just fine, perfect in fact, but not a lot of answers unfortunately.  Thanks everyone for your concern.❤️

Great news!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

My Covid test (at my County Health Department) was a new experience.  It was a saliva PCR test and I was given a kit and told to go back to my car and fill a test tube with saliva.  It takes a lot of saliva to fill a test tube and I had to keep spitting away for a good 10 minutes.  Once done I dropped the test tube in a bin by the front door.

 

Another post rescued from CC Limbo.

 

Roy

That is different. 

I had to do that (fill a test tube with saliva) when I did a DNA test for genealogy.  I can attest to the fact it takes a long time to fill that tube!

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got the email from HAL this morning that my Thanksgiving cruise to Hawaii on the Zuiderdam was cancelled. The replacement voyage is aboard the Konigsdam beginning Jan.14. This is my 4th or 5th cruise that has been cancelled by HAL and to say that I am disappointed is an understatement. 

On a brighter note I also received a HAL casino offer for a free veranda  with several voyages to pick from.  Decisions, decisions.

Jane

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@kazuThanks for the heads up on the tv program "Race the Tide". It was amazing what the sculptors could do with sand in just a few hours. But sad to see all the hard work get washed away. 

My sewing machine has been getting a workout the last couple of years. My sewing group of 14 sent 400 comfort quilts to the U of Washington hospital last year. We're behind this year with almost 200. Fun group and feels good too!

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@kazuThanks for the heads up on the tv program "Race the Tide". It was amazing what the sculptors could do with sand in just a few hours. But sad to see all the hard work get washed away. 

 

 

Glad you were able to get it.  There are more episodes and hopefully there will be less fog so you can see the beauty of New River Beach.  The Bay of Fundy Tides are very powerful and come in very fast.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, dfish said:

Howdy, everyone!

 

we arrived safely in Seattle and our shuttle picked us right up.  Arrived at the hotel at 10:30 and to our surprise we were able to go right to our room.  Now just waiting on Carolyn @Cruising-along.  Have a great rest of your day!

Enjoy your evening in Seattle and have a wonderful cruise.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had a very productive class in building small scale buildings in plastic, and I’m really happy with mine. Still have to finish it. I learned a lot, was introduced to some special tools😱😯( some of which I ordered) and was yielded to the recruitment efforts for new members. So I’m test-driving the organization for 9 months. (Not sure what DH is going to say when he comes home and finds out I’m an introductory card carrying member.) As if I don’t have enough projects going. I still have not finished digitizing my sewing machine cover.😲🤪

 

Sharing a cool website DH found last night. https://www.windy.com/?33.907,-117.787,5
 

Take a look at what’s in Gulf of Alaska, and what’s heading to @kazu🤭

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

We had a very productive class in building small scale buildings in plastic, and I’m really happy with mine. Still have to finish it. I learned a lot, was introduced to some special tools😱😯( some of which I ordered) and was yielded to the recruitment efforts for new members. So I’m test-driving the organization for 9 months. (Not sure what DH is going to say when he comes home and finds out I’m an introductory card carrying member.) As if I don’t have enough projects going. I still have not finished digitizing my sewing machine cover.😲🤪

 

Congratulations (I think 😉).  Nothing wrong with lots of involvement as long as you don’t wear yourself out.

 

11 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

 

Sharing a cool website DH found last night. https://www.windy.com/?33.907,-117.787,5
 

Take a look at what’s in Gulf of Alaska, and what’s heading to @kazu🤭

 

Neat website, thanks.   We should only have the tail - at least I hope so.  Poor Newfoundland is going to be hit hard, full force.  Definite land fall and huge warnings for them.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Well... I kinda found out what's going on with our odd offer.  

 

Our original chosen cabin for the 1st 3 weeks 8090 (Rotterdam) is under going a configuration change and was not supposed to be in the inventory. Our 4th and 5th week is in cabin 8117.

 

The HAL supervisor told me they are going to try to put us in 1 cabin the whole 5 weeks and we may go from a vista to signature for no extra cost.

 

I don't understand why we can't just keep the cabin and wait til the room is done, but she said it's been pulled for now. 

Sounds like a great deal to me!  I’d love to have a Signature for the price of a Vista. Everyday Craig asks me how we can get a bigger cabin than the Vistas we have booked for October and December. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@rafinmd Your experience of having to fill the test tube reminds me of my nephew when he was about 2 or 3.   He was a spitter when he was mad or wanted to get back at us.   One night when I was babysitting I went through his normal routine of 15 minutes till jammies, 5 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute, jammies.   That is when he stood up, gave me the evil eye, and said, "I spit now."   My reply:   "You want to spit?   Hold on just a minute."   I went and got a sauce pan, set it in front of him, and told him to spit away.  Fill it up.   He said, "You don't care?"   I said, "No, you want to spit?   Spit!"   He said, "I won't spit now."  

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

So I'm just fine, perfect in fact, but not a lot of answers unfortunately.  Thanks everyone for your concern.❤️

So glad to hear the good news. My DM has a cough/clearing throat thing that her doctor attributes to post nasal drip. It’s caused by outdoor allergies. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good evening everyone!!  Thank you to Rich, Roy, Jacqui, the drink ladies and everyone who has posted today. 
 

I had a busy day taking DM to an appointment and of course we had to go to lunch afterward. It was a late celebration for her 92nd birthday last Saturday. Her favorite restaurant is Outback so that is where we went. She had a filet and proclaimed it the best ever, which she says each time. 😉 I had ribs which were really good. Along with our best friend, Kim Crawford, we had a lovely time. So good catching up with her after our cruise. 
 

Have a great evening!

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the daily contributions from everyone. 

 

We were scheduled to visit Norfolk Island during our last Maasdam cruise, Jan/Feb 2020, unfortunately the seas were to rough for us to venture ashore, especially after the Captain announced "Go ashore at your own risk" and watching a few hardy souls timing their jump from the ship to the Norfolk Island tender, two Norfolk Island crew would grasp each passenger  by the arms and pull them over to their craft. Sometimes took several minutes before the two vessels were close enough for the "Jump" 

HAL quickly refunded our planned excursions

The passengers on the  cruise before us were  unable to get ashore.

 

Best wishes to those on the care list.

@StLouisCruisersyou will be thankful that the test is completed and that you are fine.  Hope the nasal spray is effective.

@Sharon in AZ pleased that KIm Crawford remains a good friend!!

Stay safe, take care everyone.

 

 

 

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

So glad to hear the good news. My DM has a cough/clearing throat thing that her doctor attributes to post nasal drip. It’s caused by outdoor allergies. 

Same here. Go for an evening walk, cough and sputter along. As soon as I get inside, gone.

It’s required some explanation on more than one occasion now that Covid is so prevalent. (It raised a few eyebrows several months back when vacationing with an unvaccinated friend. Before Delta.)

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Hi all!  Back at home relaxing and just had my first liquid to swallow.  I was supposed to wait an hour and it's been almost 3 hours now.  Weird feeling at first.  They numb you with lidocaine-soaked gauze pads (small and thin pads) with a blue string attached to them.  He pushes them up your nostril so far it's rather uncomfortable.  Then the lidocaine drains down your throat.  Yuck!  Tasted terrible, felt awful so I'm sure glad that's over with!  And the string is to pull them back out.  The camera goes in and he looks your interior over carefully.  He urged me to look at the monitor so he could point out things.  Apparently I don't have adenoids so they must have been removed with my tonsils as a child.  Never knew about the adenoids.  The verdict - I am just fine.  Nothing bad in there at all.  He gave me a prescription for an expensive nasal spray for post nasal drip to see if that helps with the cough.  Other than that he could refer me to a pulmonologist.  I think I'd rather just learn to live with the cough.  

 

So I'm just fine, perfect in fact, but not a lot of answers unfortunately.  Thanks everyone for your concern.❤️

I'm really pleased to hear everything was clear and there was nothing suspicious that was causing your cough.

It sounds like an allergic reaction to something which by the process of elimination you might be able to identify.

Best wishes.

Graham.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2021
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Enjoy the Gift of Travel with Regent Seven Seas Cruises
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...