Live review from Seashore Western Med

marielco

CC Help Jenn
This post was recognized by CC Help Jenn!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic"

marielco was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

10th Sept 2021 Embarkation in Barcelona went well. Medical form rechecked a number of times as we went through.  Covid test quick, result through in 20 min allowed to board. Although it says cabins not available until 13.00 we checked ours about noon and bumped into our cabin steward.  He said cabin ready.  Our bags did not arrive until around 14.00 but that was fine as we were able to use cabin.

We are on deck 14 mid ship.  

Went down to our main restaurant Central Park, they do lunch from 12.00 to 13.00.  Nice silver and black decor with white flowers on tables.  Meal better than we had expected. I will post menus later if I can. 

Later went up to Marketplace buffet.  Wash basin before you enter - tried to use one but no water.  Then tried to use gel dispense at entrance - empty!  Disappointed in buffet.  Although it is big with many counters there is repetition of these and the actual choice less than on other lines I have been on. 

If you are worried about Covid and intending to sail on this ship soon be prepared for a lot of stairs.  The lifts have a sign outside saying MAX 4 and there are markings in each lift to show where the 4 should stand (in the corners). This rule is being totally ignored.  People just pile in. 

Quite a busy ship, not sure if they are running with full compliment of passengers but lots of people everywhere. 

Tried to book one of the performances in the theatre in the evening.  Both booked out.  This is probably due to the fact passengers board at every port so people on board already for a day or two had opportunity to book before new guests arrived today. 

Dinner in main dining room ok but portions small.  

Have not come across any other English speaking passengers as yet.

All staff so far very friendly and helpful. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for Review as well. 

Ive to go home tomorrow. 

Ship is full, about 6000pax. Starting wednesday its not only full

Its loud and crowded. Tons of people sneaking line s, press in elevators... 

Or try, if we (fam of 5) are in, I'll block the door

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, sidari said:

Looks like the lifts are a problem that MSC need to address or sooner than later there will be Covid cases onboard.

Maybe reprogram them somehow. Now they stop in many floors even when up to capacity. And the screen displaying which lift to take could perhaps ask how many would like go to that particular floor. And perhaps they could use the scale on each lift to guide passengers to different lifts if one of them over certain weight limit

Edited by Matkustaja
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matkustaja said:

Maybe reprogram them somehow. Now they stop in many floors even when up to capacity. And the screen displaying which lift to take could perhaps ask how many would like go to that particular floor. And perhaps they could use the scale on each lift to guide passengers to different lifts if one of them over certain weight limit

They could be re programmed to carry only 4 people, if more get in then the lift stays where it is until people get off and there are only 4 inside.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, FOXYDEBBY said:

Are you able to see how much the f1 simulator, vr rafting and bowling alley are? Don't know if its worth buying a fun card if we only want to try it once. Going on the ship in January.

Going to check them out tomorrow. 

Ending our first full day on Seashore.  Docked in Marseilles shortly after 7am. Had room service continental breakfast.  NB to self if you are ordering cereal remember to order the milk. Weather warm and sunny. Even though many excursion busses left the ship still very crowded pool deck. I do not know if the ship is at capacity but certainly a lot of people everywhere. 

Large flat screen TV in room with 50+ channels. A number are MSC information channels.  Of the rest only 2 are in English - CNN and Sky News international. 

Mask wearing is generally being respected.  You can remove when sitting in the sun, in the pool, eating or drinking. 

Took a look at the Pirates Cove area this morning.  Great amenity for children, lots of fun being had by all. 

Visited the Sports Bar this afternoon.  Good bar including separate booths each with its own screen showing different sports. Also on a huge screen they were showing a live soccer match. 

Technology being used all over. Each member of service staff has an  ipad which they use to scan your card. Your photo pops up for them as well as information on the packages you have. Sadly the MSC for Me app is hit and miss. Should be able to check account but message says “information not available”. Although all the menus are Q codes there is not a Q code reader built into the app, you need to download one separately on your phone. If you have the MSC for Me app on your phone before you board you will need to register again on board by going to www.mscwifi.com. 

Went to the theatre this evening. Show very high energy singing and dancing. Maybe I’m getting too old but the decibel level was high you could feel the sound vibrate through the seats.  Every second seat kept empty, two people or families cannot sit together, masks must be worn all through the show and they keep watching to ensure this.  Audience leaves the theatre row by row at end of show. 

• Like 3

Looking forward to your 'blow by blow' account of the Seashore. Recall a couple of years ago the 'new' Seaside had to work out some problems and had numerous poor reviews. After a couple of months  sailing the staff 'jelled' and the YC in particular became our most favorite go to cruise ship. Hoping the same happens with the Seashore when it moves to the Port of Miami. Your details are very enlightening. Thank you for taking time to post on your vacation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happygcruiser said:

Max capacity would 5632...

Spoken to hotel directory, because of some other issues. 

Capacity is calculated by 2 pax per stateroom 

Current cruise most of the stateroom has 3 or 4 Pax. 

She said, Max all in all is about 8000

Edited by MarkusToe

MarkusToe

8000 is capacity with the crew! 
At the Moment MSC is sailing with max 60 % of capacity and there is no more holidaysaison in italy or europe.

Why are you cruising with MSC when you d‘ont like ist? That is the Italian way of cruising not the german way.

While I would love to be able to sail as a yacht club guest my budget does not stretch that far. It is noticeable how much of the ship area is being used by YC. It seems to be a great deal of the bow end of the ship.  If you walk forward on the promenade deck (8) or the upper deck (18) you can only get so far before meeting the no entry YC signs. I think everything in deck 19 is YC.   Haven’t yet found any way to get to the “front end” I love to spend time there particularly when entering harbours etc… 

BTW there is a deck 13 but no deck 17.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, marielco said:

While I would love to be able to sail as a yacht club guest my budget does not stretch that far. It is noticeable how much of the ship area is being used by YC. It seems to be a great deal of the bow end of the ship.  If you walk forward on the promenade deck (8) or the upper deck (18) you can only get so far before meeting the no entry YC signs. I think everything in deck 19 is YC.   Haven’t yet found any way to get to the “front end” I love to spend time there particularly when entering harbours etc… 

BTW there is a deck 13 but no deck 17.  

I should have said almost all of deck 19 and all of deck 20 is YC. 

Had dinner last evening in Butchers Cut. We bought a 2 Speciality restaurant bundle when we got on board. €65+15% service charge (€74 total) for Butchers Cut and Tappanyyaki.  Their full price for the set menu is €39 each +15% service charge which would amount to €89 so a €15 saving. 

You can eat out on deck (weather permitting) or in the restaurant.  I had the NY sirloin steak which was a disappointment. Very fatty and chewy not what I had expected.  It came with a choice of sauces - bernaise, mushroom, peppercorn and chimi churi. The atmosphere was nice, the service good and the staff friendly. The starters and desserts were fine. But  I don’t think I would want to book again. 

We came into Genoa this morning, lots of people ending their cruise here and new guests embarking. We are berthed alongside MSC Musica which is dwarfed by Seashore. 

Weather is still lovely, sunny and clear 26c. We wanted to do some sunbathing but the pool deck was very crowded.  Found some lovely 

comfty cushioned chairs outside the Sports Bar on deck 8 to relax in, enjoy a soft drink and soak up the sun. 

Had lunch in the Marketplace buffet. A great number of pasta dishes on offer, not surprising as big percentage of Italian passengers.  The piazza is delicious!   Asked for orange at beverage station. Told it is  only for breakfast so made do with water. Couldn’t find a seat inside but not so crowded on the outside deck area. 

One difficulty at the buffet is the minuscule writing on the item descriptor signs. I know they have to write in the various languages but it is almost impossible to make them out the text is so small.

Departing early today (4.15pm) for Naples.  My husband is in the Sports Bar as I write watching the F1 Grand Prix. The mustered drill alarm just went off. It is disconcerting to have the safety drills called each day (though only for new passengers of course).  

I have found it difficult to find a quiet place on the ship at times as there is music everywhere, usually a little loud for my taste, but the Brooklyn Cafe is one such quiet place if you are looking for a nice relaxing spot. 

Edited by marielco
Error
  • Like 4