Passport check

Bin man

Just had 2 automated emails from T,A to check validity dates on passport . Ours is ok for awhile but its to do with how you renewed before brexit ie you were able to update them 6 months before expiry and that was added to new renewal date .So when we get further on we will have lost that 6 months for European travel .They asked you to check dates via link on gov site and not to go with dates on your passport .Yep it says 6 months earlier then the date on passport which is 10 years from original expiry on previous passport .so more things to think about if your cruising soon 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bin man said:

Just had 2 automated emails from T,A to check validity dates on passport . Ours is ok for awhile but its to do with how you renewed before brexit ie you were able to update them 6 months before expiry and that was added to new renewal date .So when we get further on we will have lost that 6 months for European travel .They asked you to check dates via link on gov site and not to go with dates on your passport .Yep it says 6 months earlier then the date on passport which is 10 years from original expiry on previous passport .so more things to think about if your cruising soon 

This will catch out a good few folk. I have needed to renew mine early as the expiry is not April as stated on the document, but in reality January, so it does not cover the required 6 months. Hopefully it will arrive in a decent time.🤔

On 9/11/2021 at 9:28 PM, zap99 said:

This will catch out a good few folk. I have needed to renew mine early as the expiry is not April as stated on the document, but in reality January, so it does not cover the required 6 months. Hopefully it will arrive in a decent time.🤔

I filled in the online application on Wednesday, 1st Sept and sent my old passport on the Friday which arrived there on the Monday and received my passport back Thursday, 9th Sept😲. The Gov website was saying allow five weeks so I was thinking more like ten!

Pity the DVLA aren't working the same way I applied to renew my licence last September and am still waiting!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, daiB said:

Of course this is not new it has been on the cards for 3/4 years and would have affected us with or without Brexit.

I thought that it was due to us leaving the EU and the old procedure would have still been OK  if we had remained in the EU? It has been known about for 3/4 years, but of course it was 2017 when the Brexit vote took place.

56 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought that it was due to us leaving the EU and the old procedure would have still been OK  if we had remained in the EU? It has been known about for 3/4 years, but of course it was 2017 when the Brexit vote took place.

Even I cannot blame Brexit for this. The UK system of "rolling over" unused months when renewing a passport was an anomaly, which was going to be stopped regardless of the Brexit vote.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Not as far as I know. The two events were not related even though happened at the same time. Was it not to bring us in line with the rest of the EU? Although if effects all countries not just us.

14 hours ago, purplesea said:

I filled in the online application on Wednesday, 1st Sept and sent my old passport on the Friday which arrived there on the Monday and received my passport back Thursday, 9th Sept😲. The Gov website was saying allow five weeks so I was thinking more like ten!

Pity the DVLA aren't working the same way I applied to renew my licence last September and am still waiting!!

I went to the post office and paid the 16 quid for them to do it. So easy. If mine arrives in 8 days I will be ecstatic. We had a short window after I realized the rules. We got our last staycation in, returning on 13th, so couldn't send it off before then and would like to get a trip to the Balearics in early October. Game on if mine comes back in 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Even I cannot blame Brexit for this. The UK system of "rolling over" unused months when renewing a passport was an anomaly, which was going to be stopped regardless of the Brexit vote.

I think we stopped ' rolling ' the time a good while ago as It wasn't supposed to happen. I think the 3 months required is due to us not now being EU members, which was misinterpreted by the UK as 6 months. First world problems.

6 hours ago, zap99 said:

I went to the post office and paid the 16 quid for them to do it. So easy. If mine arrives in 8 days I will be ecstatic. We had a short window after I realized the rules. We got our last staycation in, returning on 13th, so couldn't send it off before then and would like to get a trip to the Balearics in early October. Game on if mine comes back in 3 weeks.

Fingers crossed for you🤞that your's comes back a quickly

• Thanks 1

Just to add to the mix there is an article now on the website of the Independent which says that the government has got this all wrong and the EU are not insisting on this at all. Firms like TUI have changed their policy back to what it was as they have received  legal claims from passengers who have lost money. Simon Calder has contacted the EU and their interpretation of the rules is different from the governments. I cannot see a way of linking the article. You need to read it.

Someone has fouled up by the sounds of it.

10 hours ago, zap99 said:

I think we stopped ' rolling ' the time a good while ago as It wasn't supposed to happen. I think the 3 months required is due to us not now being EU members, which was misinterpreted by the UK as 6 months. First world problems.

Stopped on 10 September 2018, the change was uncovered by Martin Lewis who called it “an under the radar change”

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/09/passport-applicants-hit-out-after-being-given-shorter-than-expec/

20 minutes ago, daiB said:

Just to add to the mix there is an article now on the website of the Independent which says that the government has got this all wrong and the EU are not insisting on this at all. Firms like TUI have changed their policy back to what it was as they have received  legal claims from passengers who have lost money. Simon Calder has contacted the EU and their interpretation of the rules is different from the governments. I cannot see a way of linking the article. You need to read it.

Is the article you are referring to

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/travel-passport-eu-brexit-uk-b1909813.html

55 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Stopped on 10 September 2018, the change was uncovered by Martin Lewis who called it “an under the radar change”

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/09/passport-applicants-hit-out-after-being-given-shorter-than-expec/

I didn't realize until a couple of months ago. Nearly caught me out but I think a few will be in for a surprise when they present their passport at the cruise terminal, or airport.

18 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I didn't realize until a couple of months ago. Nearly caught me out but I think a few will be in for a surprise when they present their passport at the cruise terminal, or airport.

Renewed mine in June 2016, only 2 months added, expires in April 2026, so not an issue at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

No the one i am referring to was posted today on the independent. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/passport-uk-eu-denied-boarding-b1920380.html

Just managed to work out how to cut and paste on my new IPad 

36 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Renewed mine in June 2016, only 2 months added, expires in April 2026, so not an issue at the moment. 

I renewed mine in January 2012 and the unexpired months meant it now expired in April 2022. The extra 3 months is now disallowed, so the real expiry is January 2022. Taking the requirement to have 3 months remaining means I can't travel after October 2021. I don't consider myself a stupid person ( some do !!), but it nearly caught me out.🤔

23 hours ago, daiB said:

The airlines blame government advice but it was a complete misunderstanding of how the rules work.

Under the Schengen Visa Waiver Program, a UK citizen can enter the Schengen area and stay for a maximum of 90 days in the following 180 (rolling basis). Therefore three months is required on a passport, each and every time they enter. To be clear, this has nothing to do with no-longer rolling over additional months but is Brexit related and was a government misunderstanding.

Airlines denied boarding on the basis that six months was not left on passports however, without a specific visa, you can't stay that long so not necessary. Where airlines got it really wrong was that boarding was denied where people had return flights booked 7 or 14 days later. Unless there was suspicion that someone would not return, denying board was wrong as you only needed trip length + 3 months for most European countries.

Separately, the change regarding roll-over validity came into place. This is because an increasing number of countries were not allowing any roll-over validity to be used and capping the passport validity at the international standard of 10 years. (Some countries could carry over 9 years and 9 months creating a passport of 19 years, 9 months which was seen as a security risk). Europe and the UK wanted to no longer allow visitors to use the extra time so had to change their own issuing rules.