Jump to content

Welcome to the Silhouette PH...Cruising again at last!


chemmo
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi, we too are on the cruise on silhouette at the moment, having a fantastic time, feels very safe and quiet too with only 800 guests onboard. 

Food in Luminae has been excellent and all staff are clearly happy to be back. 

Only negative I'd say is they are closing luminae and the main dining room for lunch on port days, that's 3 out of the 7. Is this normal for celebrity cruises? This is our first. 

Seems odd to push everyone into the buffet and we love our luminae lunches! 

Richard 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

How lovely to have a proper table on the veranda! I hope you’ll be able to enjoy some of your breakfasts al fresco. 


We are a bit dependent on the weather! The table is at the less protected part of the balcony. However, being British we are quite tough and I am sure before the week is over we will try some al fresco dining - even if we have to wrap ourselves in blankets to enjoy!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

That's odd.  We sailed in the PH on Equinox 2 years ago and there was plenty of drawer storage in the bathroom.

20191120_113836 - Copy.jpg


The Equinox only had a partial refit, your unit I think is original. Ours has no drawers just open areas...looks very nice but just not quite as functional.

 

 

8B0C630C-E695-42E9-950D-DA2D79C68A14.jpeg

Edited by chemmo
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dickuk said:

Hi, we too are on the cruise on silhouette at the moment, having a fantastic time, feels very safe and quiet too with only 800 guests onboard. 

Food in Luminae has been excellent and all staff are clearly happy to be back. 

Only negative I'd say is they are closing luminae and the main dining room for lunch on port days, that's 3 out of the 7. Is this normal for celebrity cruises? This is our first. 

Seems odd to push everyone into the buffet and we love our luminae lunches! 

Richard 


Richard, totally agree about how quiet and safe it feels.


So pleased you are enjoying Luminae. We have only had breakfast and lunch there but, as always, service and ambiance are excellent.

 

It is normal for Luminae and the MDR to close on port days... However, there are other options you may not have considered....

 

Firstly, look at your room service menu....Some really nice options. I love the chicken noodle soup and the fries with any of the sandwich options are always excellent. A great way to make the most of your balcony!

 

Secondly, look at which other venues are open. We have just been to The Porch today. It was one of our favourite lunchtime spots on Reflection a few years ago. Whilst it is at extra cost it is a great way to enjoy lunch al fresco even if it is raining! If it is open tomorrow I think we will be back.

 

Finally, we do love the lunchtime offerings in the buffet, do not dismiss it lightly. The choice is massive. On port days on a ‘normal’ cruise the buffet is usually quiet. Presently it will be really quiet. You will easily be able to get a table with a view and then just make a few choices, we love the Indian selections. One of the things I think suite guests can make a mistake of is not appreciating the venues open to all guests. At some point most cruises at lunchtime we will simply want to enjoy wandering around the buffet collecting a bit of salad, maybe some chicken or fish or just a really tasty sandwich. For us there is a limit to how many sit down three course meals a day you can enjoy...One of the reasons we continue to book Celebrity over other many more ‘exclusive’ lines is for that ship within a ship feel. You have the Retreat lounge and deck and Luminae with that ‘club’ feel but you also have a bigger ship to explore and enjoy...

 

Hope you continue to enjoy your cruise!

 

 

 

 

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I hadn't realized the redo on Silhouette extended to the bathroom. Form over function again.  One or 2 drawers would be nice but I'm sure we'll cope in March. 


I am sure you will! We have designated one of our walk in wardrobe drawers to bathroom overspill (things we do not use every day). Especially at present, knowing how hard the staff are working to clean, we really are trying to keep our surfaces uncluttered. So easy for them wipe over an empty surface, so hard if it is cluttered with bottles and jars!

 

Hope you have a fantastic cruise in March. We are back in the same room next Autumn so look after it for us!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you in the starboard or port side PH?  We had the starboard side one on the first sailing and it was AMAZING.  Didn't use the tub on the balcony much as not easy to stay upright as it's so deep and no grip.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, chemmo said:


Richard, totally agree about how quiet and safe it feels.


So pleased you are enjoying Luminae. We have only had breakfast and lunch there but, as always, service and ambiance are excellent.

 

It is normal for Luminae and the MDR to close on port days... However, there are other options you may not have considered....

 

Firstly, look at your room service menu....Some really nice options. I love the chicken noodle soup and the fries with any of the sandwich options are always excellent. A great way to make the most of your balcony!

 

Secondly, look at which other venues are open. We have just been to The Porch today. It was one of our favourite lunchtime spots on Reflection a few years ago. Whilst it is at extra cost it is a great way to enjoy lunch al fresco even if it is raining! If it is open tomorrow I think we will be back.

 

Finally, we do love the lunchtime offerings in the buffet, do not dismiss it lightly. The choice is massive. On port days on a ‘normal’ cruise the buffet is usually quiet. Presently it will be really quiet. You will easily be able to get a table with a view and then just make a few choices, we love the Indian selections. One of the things I think suite guests can make a mistake of is not appreciating the venues open to all guests. At some point most cruises at lunchtime we will simply want to enjoy wandering around the buffet collecting a bit of salad, maybe some chicken or fish or just a really tasty sandwich. For us there is a limit to how many sit down three course meals a day you can enjoy...One of the reasons we continue to book Celebrity over other many more ‘exclusive’ lines is for that ship within a ship feel. You have the Retreat lounge and deck and Luminae with that ‘club’ feel but you also have a bigger ship to explore and enjoy...

 

Hope you continue to enjoy your cruise!

 

 

 

 

Thanks for the detailed info. We are certainly not complaining about luminae being closed, and appreciate your info on all the options. I'll check out the porch too hadn't thought of that one!

 

Sun is shining now and sitting on the balcony, it's beautiful here☀️

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, missminnie said:

Are you in the starboard or port side PH?  We had the starboard side one on the first sailing and it was AMAZING.  Didn't use the tub on the balcony much as not easy to stay upright as it's so deep and no grip.  


Starboard, like yourself and the Klingons...

 

Thanks for your comment re the outdoor tub. Just as when visiting resorts and hotels you do have to make judgements about health and safety of tubs along with other things, especially if you have mobility issues or are small in stature..I will ensure when I give the tub a go my husband and son are in grabbing distance!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Dickuk said:

Thanks for the detailed info. We are certainly not complaining about luminae being closed, and appreciate your info on all the options. I'll check out the porch too hadn't thought of that one!

 

Sun is shining now and sitting on the balcony, it's beautiful here☀️

 

 


A true sign we are on a British cruise, total celebration of the sun coming out!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, chemmo said:


Starboard, like yourself and the Klingons...

 

Thanks for your comment re the outdoor tub. Just as when visiting resorts and hotels you do have to make judgements about health and safety of tubs along with other things, especially if you have mobility issues or are small in stature..I will ensure when I give the tub a go my husband and son are in grabbing distance!

Ha - such a shame about the tub on the balcony.  We would have used it more had it been more like a hot tub with seats etc.  But just felt uncomfortable most of the time and had to sit cross legged or kneeling to stay without sinking.

 

Is the Butler still Homer and room attendant John?  We're back on this coming Saturday - look after it for us 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

That's odd.  We sailed in the PH on Equinox 2 years ago and there was plenty of drawer storage in the bathroom.

20191120_113836 - Copy.jpg

After the Silhouette was revolutionised, they obviously did away with the drawers.   The under counter lights could not be turned off either - the butler couldn't find out how to either.  Absolutely adored the double shower though.  

IMG_20210814_133956.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Silkroad said:

How lovely to have a proper table on the veranda! I hope you’ll be able to enjoy some of your breakfasts al fresco. 

If we werent sailing around Britain in August, we would have enjoyed a wonderful balcony breakfast, but it was a little chilly.   We spent more time on the area outside the bedroom. (where the jacuzzi and loungers were) as it was more protected from the wind. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

See you in Luminae. Excellent cruise so far, weather could have been better but we are back at sea, feeling totally safe and enjoying all the retreat has to offer. We can cope with a little rain. 
 

dolphins currently jumping through the wake, lovely site to see.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Lynnewob said:

If we werent sailing around Britain in August, we would have enjoyed a wonderful balcony breakfast, but it was a little chilly.   We spent more time on the area outside the bedroom. (where the jacuzzi and loungers were) as it was more protected from the wind. 

I understand completely. We’ve enjoyed gorgeous weather in London, Cornwall, and N. Yorkshire in September, but I should have considered the weather at sea. Yes the protected jacuzzi and loungers are very enticing. Hmmmm I wonder if my DH would consider a move up bid on a PH suite for our December cruise on Equinox😁 We have a corner aft SS, so he’ll probably say, “mustn’t be greedy”😂

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, missminnie said:

Ha - such a shame about the tub on the balcony.  We would have used it more had it been more like a hot tub with seats etc.  But just felt uncomfortable most of the time and had to sit cross legged or kneeling to stay without sinking.

 

Is the Butler still Homer and room attendant John?  We're back on this coming Saturday - look after it for us 🙂

We have Hommer as our butler, really helpful and can't do enough for you 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, chemmo said:


The Equinox only had a partial refit, your unit I think is original. Ours has no drawers just open areas...looks very nice but just not quite as functional.

 

 

8B0C630C-E695-42E9-950D-DA2D79C68A14.jpeg

Seems  ultra modern...very shiny/metallic/ glaring light?,    and not much storage.  Splashy sinks..can u rinse out swimsuits them?

 

  Hope  reg bathrooms on Reflection  remain unchanged!

 

Enjoy your cruise!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, hcat said:

Seems  ultra modern...very shiny/metallic/ glaring light?,    and not much storage.  Splashy sinks..can u rinse out swimsuits them?

 

  Hope  reg bathrooms on Reflection  remain unchanged!

 

Enjoy your cruise!

 

It actually looks very nice...Sinks are fine...Just no drawers. There is a decent shelf unit to put items on, really not a big deal...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

See you in Luminae. Excellent cruise so far, weather could have been better but we are back at sea, feeling totally safe and enjoying all the retreat has to offer. We can cope with a little rain. 
 

dolphins currently jumping through the wake, lovely site to see.

We have loved watching the dolphins too...We saw two separate pods off Lands End. Like you we are not letting a bit of rain get us down. 
 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, missminnie said:

Ha - such a shame about the tub on the balcony.  We would have used it more had it been more like a hot tub with seats etc.  But just felt uncomfortable most of the time and had to sit cross legged or kneeling to stay without sinking.

 

Is the Butler still Homer and room attendant John?  We're back on this coming Saturday - look after it for us 🙂


We have the wonderful John...Our room is being kept spotless.

 

Our personal retreat host is Youness, very caring and helpful. He has met all our requests and keeps asking if there is anything else we need. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Silkroad said:

I understand completely. We’ve enjoyed gorgeous weather in London, Cornwall, and N. Yorkshire in September, but I should have considered the weather at sea. Yes the protected jacuzzi and loungers are very enticing. Hmmmm I wonder if my DH would consider a move up bid on a PH suite for our December cruise on Equinox😁 We have a corner aft SS, so he’ll probably say, “mustn’t be greedy”😂


One positive thing I think the last changing year has made many people do is to not put off things in life you really want to do...Give a RS or a PH a go! We do love the additional perks that go with these suites, especially the unlimited specialty dining and in suite bar set up. Silhouette with its additional restaurants is a great ship to have these perks on. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

 

It actually looks very nice...Sinks are fine...Just no drawers. There is a decent shelf unit to put items on, really not a big deal...

I like your idea about keeping counters and other surfaces clear to make cleaning easier!  Good advice..Less clutter is aways a plus.

Edited by hcat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...