The Daily for Sunday September 12, 2021

richwmn

Today is Chocolate Milk Shake Day, Grandparent's Day, and National Pet Memorial Day

The first step toward success is taken when you refuse to be a captive of the environment in which you first find yourself. --Mark Caine

Meal suggestion for today - Jamaican Jerk Pork Chops

Drink of the Day - Cojito

Wine of the day - Chateau Ste Michelle Chardonnay Ethos Reserve - Washington - White

Destination of the Day - Fuerte Amador Panama

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Juneau

Venice, Italy
Eurodam 07:00 - 17:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Ionian Sea
Zaandam Destination Augusta IT eta 9/13

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting

Corfu GR
Volendam

Ensenada MX
Noordam Anchorage

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam

Ijmuiden NL
Rotterdam

Puerto Vallarta MX
Westerdam

San Diego
Zuiderdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

0912World.thumb.png.fc417470f64d7605ef17ca2245886073.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I'd love a chocolate milkshake.  I miss my grandparents.  I miss my pets that have crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion.  Not sure about the drink or wine of the day,  looking forward to seeing descriptions of them.

A nice warm day here in Southern Ontario.  I'll take the dog for a walk shortly, it's still darkish outside.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful Sunday.  Stay safe.

• Like 26

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  Lots of sad and happy memories of lost pets.  My family has been slow to reproduce and I never knew my grandparents.  I'll pass on the Milk Shake but the Jerk Pork Chops sound nice.  I like the quote.  Been to Fuerte Amador several times, mostly on Crystal but also on the Elegant Explorer.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
Joy’s sudden pain outbreak
dfish friend Donna in hip surgery instead of cruising
Lady Hudson’s BIL awaiting rehab
Sam’s hospital visit
From the rotation:
HAL Sailor DH health issues
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Dfish and Sue on Nieuw Amsterdam
Successful hip replacement for Donna
Notseh2o visit with mom
Overhead Fred at the Cottage and negative
Getaway for segarsmoker
Cantor Charity Day–What a great idea
Good sleep by JAM37 DH
KB4863 negative test
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8

Good morning and thanks for the daily report.  Perfect day for a chocolate milkshake.  I have fond memories of all my grandparents except my paternal grandfather who died before I was born.  I miss all the pets that are no longer, they sort of stay with you.  Very good quote and so true.  The pork chops sound delicious.  Have not been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event.

• Like 24

Good morning. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

A chocolate milkshake sounds yummy. I wish I was celebrating Grandparents day with my grandchildren, might see one of them later this month. I definitely miss my grandparents and my pets that are no longer with us.

Not sure about the meal, so I'll wait to see the recipe.

DH continues to improve. @rafinmd I think we can take him off the Care list. Thank you for including him and to all of you for your concern and prayers.

We did take a ride through our community yesterday afternoon which was the first time DH left the house since August 11th. The plan is to try a small project this morning and if that goes well we will do one each morning this week and build up to the bigger projects still left in our home renovation. The original goal was to be done by our anniversary, 11/21. With this 5 week delay due to Covid that date will be pushed into 2022. It is what it is. 🙂

Wishing all of you a great Sunday.

Prayers and praises for those on our lists.

• Like 30

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Just a quick visit before heading to the gym. 

Stay well everyone!

Chateau Ste Michelle Chardonnay Ethos Reserve - Washington

This no-yeast Chardonnay sounds interesting. Excellent ratings and a fairly decent price makes me think I need to add this to my list. Several online distributors with prices starting at $34.00.
WINE ANALYSIS

Blend:
100% Chardonnay
Aging:
100% sur lie aged for 10 months in 100% French oak (59% new and 41% 1-year-old) to integrate the fruit and oak flavors and provide a rich mouthfeel.
Alcohol:
14.5%
TA:
0.54 g/100 mL
F:
The blend underwent natural fermentation for more interesting nuances and complexity.
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Sunday smile 😄 

Great combination of days!  While I never cared for chocolate milk shakes, most people I know love them so I’ll celebrate with them.  Grandparents day is only a memory I can celebrate.  Two were gone before I was born but my mother’s father and my father’s mother lived with us for many years so I have many memories of them ♥️ Many fond memories and tears over too many pets that have gone to the Rainbow Bridge.

A7473E9C-89B5-4496-B675-B7D00AE99179.jpeg.783f0c319b3b47eada944bc9df09f29a.jpeg

Love the quote by Caine.  So very true!  That Chardonnay sounds yummy.

A small victory on CC.  @dfishlet me know that my email in my signature was dead.  When I re-input the coding it didn’t work. 😱 I reached out to @0bnxshswho gave me the new way to do it and it works again. Thank you Rich ♥️  It seems now with the current format, everything has to be in the media link on your signature to get it to take.

Jamaican Jerk Pork Chops: 

Wow, over 1800 reviews and 5* - sounds like a good recipe.  Some might be put off by the habanero pepper in the recipe.  (I would be, DH would not).  I’m pretty sure it would still be good without it or a less hot pepper.

.78E76ED3-ACF3-446F-B37A-D8148EA714C5.thumb.jpeg.4b8a40123a61675175398fb9b840a055.jpeg

Recipe link - https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/caribbean-jerk-pork-chops

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone!!!!!

9C198F82-CA07-429B-85E4-801CBD667CEC.thumb.jpeg.83dbf92aca65dde4db845b49d21e822a.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 5

Today's alternate menu suggestion is from either the "Crystal Classics" section of Crystal Serenity's September 12, 2016 or off menu,:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/menu0912.pdf

It's Selected Crunchy Field Greens, Veal Medallion, Creamy Morel Sauce, Roast Fingerling Potatoes, Baby Carrots,  and a special desert prepared tableside by our Head Waiter.

Here's the veal:

vealmedallion.jpg

and the desert:

desert.jpg

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Love chocolate milkshakes, only knew one of my grandparents.  We've loved and lost many pets so will celebrate their memories today.  Have not been to today's port, but have cruised the canal many times.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Cojito:

The Cojito is a sweet cocktail made with lime and mint, and typically rum and coconut. It is a variant of the mojito, but typically adds coconut flavor. This can be done by adding coconut milk or coconut-flavored liqueurs, or by using coconut-flavored rum such as Blue Chair Bay, Cruzan coconut, or Malibu.

Ingredients
1 bunch fresh mint, keep a few sprigs to the side for garnish
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons water
4 limes, juiced
3 cups coconut rum, like Blue Chair Bay
1 liter seltzer water
Ice
Lime wedges for garnish

Powered by Chicory
Instructions
In a large pitcher, combine the mint, sugar, and water, and muddle. Add the lime juice and rum, and stir to combine. Fill the pitcher with ice and add the seltzer.
Pour into ice-filled glasses and garnish with a sprig of mint and a lime wedge.

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 7.59.45 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone. Over 24/hours and I still have no results of the CT Sam had of his chest and an MRI of his brain. Doctors are making rounds and I have no information yet. So frustrating. The MRI was done late at night and we have no results on any of the tests.

Being a grandparent is the best part of life. I have five grandsons who Imadore.

Will be back later when I know something.

Carol

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7

2 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Over 24/hours and I still have no results of the CT Sam had of his chest and an MRI of his brain. Doctors are making rounds and I have no information yet. So frustrating. The MRI was done late at night and we have no results on any of the tests.

Being a grandparent is the best part of life. I have five grandsons who Imadore.

Carol

Oh dear, Carol 😔. I hope you hear soon and the news is good 🙏🏻 

• Like 12

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I remember all of my furry family members that have crossed the rainbow bridge.  They each have a place in my heart.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and @kazu pictures and recipe only confirmed that thought.  There is a spice shop on the cape and we tried their Jamaican spice and it is good.  I have an appointment to get my flu shot today.  A little earlier than usual but we are planning an October trip to PA to visit family.  I hope everyone has a nice day today.

• Like 26

18 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

I've been thinking about you this morning. Waiting for results is so frustrating. Hoping that as one of yesterday's "days" said, no news is good news.

• Like 16

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

I think most of us like chocolate milk shake.

Grandparents Day is a day to be thankful for.

Pet memorial Day is a day to remember our pets who are no longer with us.

Interesting quote.

I will pass on the food and drink and have not been to today's port so interested to see the photos anyone can post.

We have had Cumberland sausage and mash for lunch.

Prayers to everyone on the care list.

Take care.

Graham.

IMG_20210912_122756.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

🙏🤞Prayers for Sam's results being good.

• Like 13

Good morning  to all. I will give someone  my chocolate  milkshake but will try the recipe today.I will modify the peppers somewhat for myself and DH.

I was very fortunate to have 3 of my grandparents into  my twenties.I think of them so often.Our grandchildren  are 5 hours away but technology  helps these days.

Pets that have crossed the rainbow Bridge are well remembered  in this house.

20210912_083038.jpg

• Like 28

Good morning, all! I miss my pets that have passed over the Rainbow Bridge. Three of my grandparents were gone before I was born, and I didn’t know my mother’s mother well. Past pets are another story, though. I still miss them very much.

The meal sounds good, and so does the drink. A mojito made with coconut sounds very refreshing and tropical! I’ve never liked oaky Chardonnays. A good unoaked Chardonnay is wonderful. I’ve never understood the popularity of taking a good wine and making it taste like an ashtray was soaked in it. All pictures of today’s port are appreciated- we’ve never been there,

Yesterday was a good day. Our daily walks have started on the return part of the loop trail on the far side of the Vedder River. Today is raining, so we’ll just walk close to home today. We went out for dinner last night with very close friends who are unvaccinated. They are really the only unvaccinated people we see any more. Nothing we say can change their minds. It was our last meal out together for quite some time, as BC’s vaccine passport comes into effect tomorrow. While I’m completely in favor of it, I feel so sorry for the restaurants having to deal with people who show up and have to be turned away. I hope most of them hire a bouncer to check ID at the door, like night clubs do. This isn’t something the waitstaff should have to handle. 
Today seems like a great day to just take it easy with a coffee and watch the rain. @mamaofamiCarol, thinking of you and hoping for the best results possible.

Happy Sunday, enjoy the day, especially those who just unpacked for a week aboard a BHB.

A61F02CC-D3AD-412C-BFC2-E24F3A706CDC.thumb.jpeg.0d8137b71b6f026d10124c2dfa4f393f.jpeg

• Like 27

Good morning!  Thank you to @richwmnand @rafinmd for the Daily and our Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers for all who are in need and cheers to all celebrating.  We have never had a furry pet but we did have a feathery one for 12 years.  Our albino parakeet lived with us in Michigan for 2 years, drove across country with us to our California home (4 years), then flew to our next home in Ohio (6 years), then drove with us to our next home in Virginia.  She passed away about 3 weeks after we got to Virginia, on our 20th wedding anniversary.  I buried her in the woods on our property there.  She is sadly missed!

I enjoy chocolate milk shakes.  My paternal grandfather passed away 5 years before I was born, but I knew the remaining three.  I wish I could see my 6 grandchildren on Grandparents Day but unfortunately cannot.

We have been through the Panama Canal but am positive we did not stop at Fuerto Amador in Panama.  I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like if anyone has any photos.  Also what do you do when the ship stops there?

Just a little sore from the new exercise routine at the gym.  We take Sundays off so hopefully we will back there tomorrow continuing to progress towards better fitness.  I've been coughing less but when I do I feel it in the abs due to that area being worked on the past couple days.  

Have a great Sunday!

• Like 25

@kazuI wonder if what you were saying about your email link not working in your signature has anything to do with the fact the "My Cruising Profile" doesn't work in mine either.  In the past you could click on it and see both a unique listing of the cruises we have taken along with an image of the ships involved.  You could also click on the ports of call tab and see a world map with flagging to the ports we'd seen.  It was amazing.  Only I can see it now when I log into cruise-ships.com which is where you get the ticker.  Now when you click on it here you see nothing.  It's been quite a while since the ticker stopped working.  I've tried everything I know of to fix it.  And there is no way to contact the website's IT department to see if someone there could help.  It seems to be unmonitored as well.

However, I'm glad your email link is working now because you must get a lot of inquiries and contacts from people here on CC.

• Like 20

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report.

I miss all of the pets that have brought joy to my life. Our latest rescue, Sam (named Samson  by the original owner) has been with us for just over a month now. Routines are settling in nicely and for being a senior dog, he is quite lively. I believe that he knows that he is in his furr-ever home now as I compare photos of him with his last foster and now, his eyes seem to sparkle!

1755758944_PlayingwithatoyJunoleftSam..jpg.0b4ebbb11de1451982305cf98ad29b98.jpg

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 27

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I haven't had a chocolate milkshake in ages - I think today is the day to break that spell.  I had my maternal grandparents until I was in my late teens, but never knew my paternal ones, as they had passed away before I came on the scene.  Happy Grandparents Day to all grandparents on these boards.  We remember all our furbabies who have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge.  They may be small, but they leave a large imprint on our hearts.

Yesterday was great fun, driving around various parts of the city to see what folks had put on their lawns for curbside recycling.  We saw everything imaginable from children's toys to the kitchen sink - literally!  When we returned home after breakfast and touring, our wicker garden furniture had been taken to a new home.  Unfortunately the ceiling fan and CD tower remained there throughout the day, so they'll be taken over to the Salvation Army next week.  A bonus was that there wasn't anything we saw that DH felt he absolutely had to bring home . . . yay!

Today we're heading to a little town about 1/2 hour's drive from here where there is a fall farmer's market on main street.  There's a young woman there who makes beautiful beaded malas - she focuses her energy into them and they turn out lovely, so will likely pick up a few more in different colours.  It will be nice to get out of the city again and see the changing colours in the countryside.

I like today's menu suggestion, but we had pork chops yesterday . . . I'm definitely keeping this recipe though, (leaving out the habanero peppers) and will be making them in the future.  We're going to be having air fried chicken tonight along with leftover baked potatoes made into pan fries with onions and peppers.  And wine.

Speaking of wine, @Horizon chaser 1957, I almost spat my coffee onto the keyboard when I read your description of making wine taste like it had had an ashtray soaked in it.  Love it!!

@mamaofami I hope you get results of Sam's tests soon, and that they are all good news - you've been through a lot and need some good stuff to happen soon!

@JAM37 I'm happy to hear your DH is on the mend, you can always delay the rest of the projects, you just want to get your regular hubby back.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be safe, wear your masks, stay well, wash your hands, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1