Celebrity vs. Royal Caribbean, Transatlantics from Barcelona and Southampton October 2022

4774Papa

3 minutes ago, cruzzzinma said:

I booked the Oct 2022 Apex TA several months ago. My travel agent offered me two rates - one with “all included” and one without perks. I chose the rate with perks because the price difference was not dramatic. 

We were offered both rates for the cruise prior. That price difference was dramatic and we booked it without perks.

our TA does a lot of business with Celebrity.

From time to time, our cruise friends have mentioned travel agents to us that offered great deals.   Some of these would be companies that had a warehouse where you could shop for food or other household items in bulk.  However, we have no such store near where we live.  Also, I routinely check the on-line travel agencies.   I found that we could save a modest amount booking with one, but the savings was never that fantastic.   So, we still routinely book direct and have control of our bookings, so when prices drop, we get the drop.  Some of our friends had quite a time when their TA went belly up and they lost their bookings and down payment.   Others have had trouble getting in touch with the TA to get the benefit of price drops.   I am not criticizing your use of a TA.  I am sure you get savings, glad that works for you.

Regarding the AI rate and NO AI rate, both seem too high, at least the few that I have seen.   Most of what I see and cruises that I look at (I book early), I don't usually see the NO AI rate.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

From time to time, our cruise friends have mentioned travel agents to us that offered great deals.   Some of these would be companies that had a warehouse where you could shop for food or other household items in bulk.  However, we have no such store near where we live.  Also, I routinely check the on-line travel agencies.   I found that we could save a modest amount booking with one, but the savings was never that fantastic.   So, we still routinely book direct and have control of our bookings, so when prices drop, we get the drop.  Some of our friends had quite a time when their TA went belly up and they lost their bookings and down payment.   Others have had trouble getting in touch with the TA to get the benefit of price drops.   I am not criticizing your use of a TA.  I am sure you get savings, glad that works for you.

Regarding the AI rate and NO AI rate, both seem too high, at least the few that I have seen.   Most of what I see and cruises that I look at (I book early), I don't usually see the NO AI rate.

No AI  (simply sail) rates are only available on a very few cruises (mainly caribbean) and only on guarantee cabins 

• Like 1

Just now, the penguins said:

No AI  (simply sail) rates are only available on a very few cruises (mainly caribbean) and only on guarantee cabins 

Sorry pressed to soon. Some Travel Agents used to have "net rates" that they used to package to give cheaper deals. All these net rates have been removed. One poster claimed that their agent still had this deal on all cruises but when pressed has failed to repost with the details.

5 hours ago, jagoffee said:

You are absolute incorrect when you say that Celebrity no longer has Simply Sail rates on any TA.  Here  is just one example: Apex TA, October 10, 2021.

You probably should have said you have noticed any Simply Sail rates on any TA that interests you.

of course there is obviously no way that any person is going to ever convince you that any increased pricing  that you see  on any future cruise is anyway impacted by any factor except the  AI program.  

Repeating that absurd comment over and over does not make it a fact.

Have just checked the Celebrity  site. No Simply Sail option on the cruise you quoted. Cabin 7158 = £3223 per person is available. Please post your Simply Sail for this cabin for comparison.

I am very sorry you don't like my figures but, as posted before they are Celebrity's figures not mine. I look forward to seeing your figures because if you are correct we will be delighted to start booking with Celebrity again.

13 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Have just checked the Celebrity  site. No Simply Sail option on the cruise you quoted. Cabin 7158 = £3223 per person is available. Please post your Simply Sail for this cabin for comparison.

I am very sorry you don't like my figures but, as posted before they are Celebrity's figures not mine. I look forward to seeing your figures because if you are correct we will be delighted to start booking with Celebrity again.

If you want a specific cruise/line just book it already.  What others are willing to pay is their decision.  Why do you care so much what others are paying?!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, the penguins said:

October 10, 2021.  Simply Sail Suite $6019.  Sky Suite $6999.  Since the AI includes so much, I would never book with the Simple Sail rate.

I was not questioning the difference in prices that you are seeing.  I was only questioning your assumption that any increased pricing is due to the AI program, since there are many other factors that impact pricing.

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

Travel agent often have group rates. A good one will tell you but you sometimes es can ask.

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

If you want a specific cruise/line just book it already.  What others are willing to pay is their decision.  Why do you care so much what others are paying?!

This subject does focus on pricing.  

Also, regarding people posting their opinions here on this tread, I expect people will post their opinions, as well as facts known.   I don't resent opposing opinions.   I appreciate everyone's facts and opinions.

2 hours ago, cruzzzinma said:

Travel agent often have group rates. A good one will tell you but you sometimes es can ask.

I agree but Celebrity has confirmed that since the introduction of AI no travel now has a deal based on Simply Sail rates - if you know differently please please post as the agent would make a small fortune 

Since we talking about price I just looked at a small sky suite on the Apex 14 night crossing and the price was just over $14,000 with all the amenities (essentially an all inclusive rate).  We are soon cruising on a 14 day Seabourn cruise (Caribbean) in their normal suites (about the same size as the sky suites) for under $11,000!   This gets to the issue I have previously posted that in many cases X costs more then the ultra luxury lines that are completely all inclusive.  

That is why we think the savvy cruiser now looks at lots of different lines to seek out good value.   You can find all kinds of odd things like this especially when compared to the high prices charged on the Edge Class ships.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

October 10, 2021.  Simply Sail Suite $6019.  Sky Suite $6999.  Since the AI includes so much, I would never book with the Simple Sail rate.

I was not questioning the difference in prices that you are seeing.  I was only questioning your assumption that any increased pricing is due to the AI program, since there are many other factors that impact pricing.

It is Celebrity which publishes the breakdown not me - I just report it. When you book with AI it shows as one total but on the Celebrity invoice it gives you the actual breakdown under 5 headings:

Cruise

Grats 

Drinks

WiFi 

Fees and taxes

You can interpret this how you like but around 15% of the increase seems to be on the cruise element and the rest is down to AI.

I am not against packages, and clearly they are great value for some,,good value for others, terrible value for passengers who don't drink and worst value for solos who pay for 2 lots of tips, 2 internet packages and 2 drinks packages.

All I and many others are asking for is a choice.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, the penguins said:

It is Celebrity which publishes the breakdown not me - I just report it. When you book with AI it shows as one total but on the Celebrity invoice it gives you the actual breakdown under 5 headings:

Cruise

Grats 

Drinks

WiFi 

Fees and taxes

You can interpret this how you like but around 15% of the increase seems to be on the cruise element and the rest is down to AI.

I am not against packages, and clearly they are great value for some,,good value for others, terrible value for passengers who don't drink and worst value for solos who pay for 2 lots of tips, 2 internet packages and 2 drinks packages.

You nailed it:

16 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Agreed, thanks. I think we have cruised with you either on Silhouette November 2019 or around South America on Eclipse also 2019,

We did Eclipse in 2019 from Chile to San Diego and had members of our group that first met on the TA from Southampton to Miami in 2017.   I miss Celebrity, but won't pay what they are asking now.

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

We did Eclipse in 2019 from Chile to San Diego and had members of our group that first met on the TA from Southampton to Miami in 2017.   I miss Celebrity, but won't pay what they are asking now.

Thought so. We did the whole trip from Buenos Aires to celebrate our Golden Wedding. We have cancelled one Celebrity due to price. Booked another with Royal instead. Have one more TA booked on Celebrity for April 2022 to use up a large OBC and unless the AI pricing is dropped that will probably be our last. Geoff and the boss (Anita)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, the penguins said:

Cruise

Grats 

Drinks

WiFi 

Fees and taxes

Not sure hen your confirmation was issued but ours don’t v a breakdown.

Here is the Celebrity confimation hen we booked in April for a Oct 21 sailing.

The line m ALL INCLUDED shows 0.00.  All 4 bookings we have made since AI was introduced look the same.

673A6495-EA72-4FED-9B16-56307DD32560.thumb.jpeg.3409a111e90e59dd13fdff11419d4170.jpeg

58 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Not sure hen your confirmation was issued but ours don’t v a breakdown.

Here is the Celebrity confimation hen we booked in April for a Oct 21 sailing.

The line m ALL INCLUDED shows 0.00.  All 4 bookings we have made since AI was introduced look the same.

673A6495-EA72-4FED-9B16-56307DD32560.thumb.jpeg.3409a111e90e59dd13fdff11419d4170.jpeg

Fascinating, because as you can see from the post after yours their invoice is broken down exactly as ours is.

I don't claim to know but is it because you get a  special deal because you are /were military?

I understood that the military discount was a lot more than the $100 shown so is that Celebrity don't charge you for the AI part?

When you look at the other post that clearly shows the impact of AI pricing.

Perhaps other CC members have more knowledge on military discounts.

On 9/12/2021 at 3:30 PM, Jeremiah1212 said:

What are you looking for? TA's where Celebrity is comparable to Royal or other lines in general? 

When comparing 14 night TA's on both HAL and Princess, Celebrity is within a few hundred $$ on both. Princess's no inclusion fare is around $3,100 for the Sky Princess 10/29/22 cruise. At minimum you need to add $378 in gratuities to that price.

It's too early to look for guarantee fares on Celebrity a year+ in advance. If you want the lowest possible base price with nothing included, RCCL is the way to go. But if you're someone who wants drinks/grats and WiFi, on a 14 night TA that's of course going to cost you an $2k extra on Royal Caribbean.

If you're just picking outliers where Celebrity is more expensive, I can you show you a quote on similar Med cruises where a Vision of the Seas base fare is nearly $4,200 more than Celebrity for comparable cabins. 

Agree. We used to cruise on RCI exclusively but we now enjoy Celebrity much more. Over the last couple of years we have found Celebrity to be less than RCI. To be transparent we book some type suite so when I price a Retreat suite and then price out a similar size suite on RCI and add gratuities, internet and the Premium drink package RCI was always more. Add to that the OBC on X. If someone feels that RCI is less then book it. Simple as that. 🙂

46 minutes ago, canderson said:

Ours was very clearly broken out, and always is.  You can see the + and - for gratuities, beverage and internet packages, along with the Retreat discount.

966035346_BrokenOut.JPG.0fc734af6592c6c7de8ee30f6133eb75.JPG

We have bookings  made in 2020 and those confirmations looks just like yours.  I think that may have been before AI.  Every booking we have since AI looks just like the one I posted no breakouit.

16 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We have bookings  made in 2020 and those confirmations looks just like yours.  I think that may have been before AI.  Every booking we have since AI looks just like the one I posted no breakouit.

No, this is from late June 2021.

On 9/13/2021 at 4:52 PM, the penguins said:

I agree but Celebrity has confirmed that since the introduction of AI no travel now has a deal based on Simply Sail rates - if you know differently please please post as the agent would make a small fortune 

I guess I don’t know what to tell you. I have told you the facts about our upcoming cruises. We are not allowed to post information on specific travel agents. My agent is with a big online TA but not the big box store or the agency everyone is so aggravated with. You need to do some homework to find someone who can give you what you need.

10 hours ago, jelayne said:

Our most recent booking was August 2021 and it has the full breakdown. Surely it must be connected to your military discount.

6 hours ago, cruzzzinma said:

I guess I don’t know what to tell you. I have told you the facts about our upcoming cruises. We are not allowed to post information on specific travel agents. My agent is with a big online TA but not the big box store or the agency everyone is so aggravated with. You need to do some homework to find someone who can give you what you need.

You can't post your agent but you could at least:

1) post your agents prices for a specific standard balcony on a transatlantic cruise with and without AI .

2) confirm that your agent can give the Simply Sail price on that specific cabin not just on  a guarantee cabin.

Celebrity say it's impossible if it isn't we will have to do more research.

On 9/13/2021 at 4:49 PM, jagoffee said:

By the way, the October 10, 2021 Apex TA just keeps on giving...

Be prepared for it to give a little more yet, strong rumors that both Apex and Silhouette will make the crossing without passengers this time after an Agent briefing yesterday...

Not confirmed but news expected today it seems...