Singinalot's SEMI Live Greece DIY Island Hopping

singinalot

Just got home from the bank. Two and three years ago I simply went with my cash and exchanged for euros there, but now they say that because of the C word, they don’t keep them in the bank anymore and I had to special order them. They’ll be here this week. I didn’t order a lot; just enough for our initial transfer Athens to the Hilton, souvenir purchase, etc. We plan to get more when there, but I don’t like arriving without currency.

089BB648-D3C7-46CC-AF32-400B046EB6E0.png

• Like 2

There is a bank in ATH that gives reasonably good rates.   

We keep our currency from one trip to another.  

We are fortunate...we have several FX stores in our city that provide much better FX rates that does our bank or auto club.  Plus...they tend  stock a much better selection of bill denominations.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

What do you do for phone service.  Do you unlock your phone and get a SIM card when you get there?

The last two times we haven’t had any issues with our phones as is (knock on wood) but we’ll do the SIM card thing if we need to.

14 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

Definitely following this thread....I plan to do some island hopping in the spring.

glad to have you along!

I finally pulled the new GoPro stick out of the box and tested it out with my GoPro attached. Everything fit great and I like that it has a strap on the end to wrap around my wrist.

95E925C9-DEF5-4338-B65F-FF0163B167CF.thumb.jpeg.3df51be784b7d2423c36ffea18f5cd64.jpeg

the white and blue vases that you can see on the side of the photo are from a store in Oia, Santorini. I use them as my centerpiece and always get comments on them.

currently charging up: 2 GoPro batteries, power bank, drone remote control.

My goal for today is to get the electronics organized and paired down…hahahaha 🤞🤞🤞

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, singinalot said:

I finally pulled the new GoPro stick out of the box and tested it out with my GoPro attached. Everything fit great and I like that it has a strap on the end to wrap around my wrist.

95E925C9-DEF5-4338-B65F-FF0163B167CF.thumb.jpeg.3df51be784b7d2423c36ffea18f5cd64.jpeg

the white and blue vases that you can see on the side of the photo are from a store in Oia, Santorini. I use them as my centerpiece and always get comments on them.

currently charging up: 2 GoPro batteries, power bank, drone remote control.

My goal for today is to get the electronics organized and paired down…hahahaha 🤞🤞🤞

I'm drooling at the thought of your future drone pics!

Norris

• Thanks 1

Thanks Norris! @Bimmer09

Ive been doing some test runs lately and have been feeling more confident. We’ll see how I hold up against the winds in Greece!

some unedited drone pictures from Moab over Labor Day weekend:

3ACD30E8-4B30-4059-BD07-FD745C606A0E.thumb.jpeg.4a504aeb4a08b2938c33f37913b560fa.jpeg

BD02C024-C9C3-4532-AAA7-86C39309A7AB.thumb.jpeg.5cba8c92e714fbf981262e76d36a94e0.jpeg

EC893A82-778D-40A8-ABC3-0F4A676995B5.thumb.jpeg.8f846c7f5b5a26abe5a59bd491e004b9.jpeg

F0849C0F-81FF-4FDB-A6F2-F71952F19B97.thumb.jpeg.a72ecdfe584583e147e9f01ca5fd7393.jpeg

28AC000C-B68C-43ED-B47F-BC76B50F7C2D.thumb.jpeg.0c2237b8d3efb87854688387653ea2cf.jpeg

A61D07FB-628A-4624-9044-84825FB48B7E.thumb.jpeg.825d9d047ece5a30879ff0a45bc299da.jpeg

6C3A3059-4698-4424-B236-40DEC2582262.thumb.jpeg.a9b8196f0145f5845a75041dcfd31270.jpeg

543F5A2B-7E07-4A03-BB64-EE24E63E7830.thumb.jpeg.c6699bda3bf0547aed74186825dc6da0.jpeg

Edited by singinalot
  • Like 2

I went into a 'travel shop' to look at shirts last year.  I could not believe the prices, let alone the patter that the clerk was giving me.

Two of my best ever travel shirts for the last five years we picked up at Costco for $12 or so each.  Easy care, fast dry, no iron, no crease.  Lots of hand washing.  They are still like new.  

The clerk at the travel store was telling me that since I go with carry on only his easy care $45. shirts were what I really needed for a successful trip.

Yah, right.  OTOH, I am more that willing to pay a premium price for a pair of Teva sandals that fit me like a glove, are as light as a feather, and can withstand salt water without falling apart.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, iancal said:

I went into a 'travel shop' to look at shirts last year.  I could not believe the prices, let alone the patter that the clerk was giving me.

Two of my best ever travel shirts for the last five years we picked up at Costco for $12 or so each.  Easy care, fast dry, no iron, no crease.  Lots of hand washing.  They are still like new.  

The clerk at the travel store was telling me that since I go with carry on only his easy care $45. shirts were what I really needed for a successful trip.

Yah, right.  OTOH, I am more that willing to pay a premium price for a pair of Teva sandals that fit me like a glove, are as light as a feather, and can withstand salt water without falling apart.

good to hear the review on teva. I’ve been considering them for a couple of years and even ordered a pair from Amazon, but I just couldn’t bring myself to commit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, singinalot said:

good to hear the review on teva. I’ve been considering them for a couple of years and even ordered a pair from Amazon, but I just couldn’t bring myself to commit.

I get the very basic, lightest  pair. On my second pair now even though the first is fine.  Sometime they are all that I wear for weeks.

We have seen people who like to get all 'kitted' up as if they were going up the Amazon when in reality it is a cruise with a post cruise in FLL.

Edited by iancal

Brought up my suitcase last night and started setting aside the stuff to easily toss in: water shoes, motion sickness pills, swimsuits.

I mean, what more do I need? 🤣 

meanwhile it’s 55 degrees here in Colorado Springs

Edited by singinalot

On 9/20/2021 at 9:01 AM, singinalot said:

Ive been doing some test runs lately and have been feeling more confident. We’ll see how I hold up against the winds in Greece!

Glad that you get to fly your drone in Greece. What kind of regulations do they have? Looking forward to your trip. It's going to be great. Oh btw, eat some Moussaka and some Pastitsio for me. Two of my favorite Greek dishes.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Glad that you get to fly your drone in Greece. What kind of regulations do they have? Looking forward to your trip. It's going to be great. Oh btw, eat some Moussaka and some Pastitsio for me. Two of my favorite Greek dishes.

it’s surprisingly decent! Since I have a mavic mini 2 and it weighs less than 250g, I’ll have a lot of freedom.

https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws-in-greece/

17 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

May I add some Loukoumades too ? [Greek donuts 😉]

I can not wait for all of the food! I’m craving Greek so badly that I’m heading to a Greek diner down the street from my hospital for lunch today!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I looked at the rules and agree. You are going to get some amazing views.

hoping the wind cooperates 🙂 especially at our bnb on Milos. The north side of the island can often get a lot of wind, but we’re a little central on the west coast.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 10:45 AM, Sea Dog said:

Many NY/NJ's diners are Greek owned.  Always had Moussaka, pastitsio on their menus. Tzaziki sauce, gyros, baklava (which I found too icky sweet) as well.

Crystal, you must be going crazy with anticipation counting the days now.  Your drone pictures always brings a wonderful in-depth element to your travel logs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Many NY/NJ's diners are Greek owned.  Always had Moussaka, pastitsio on their menus. Tzaziki sauce, gyros, baklava (which I found too icky sweet) as well.

Crystal, you must be going crazy with anticipation counting the days now.  Your drone pictures always brings a wonderful in-depth element to your travel logs.

thank you so much!

yes I am going insane 🤣 I think I check the weather and the virus restrictions websites about 10 times a day! 
I ate at a Greek place by work yesterday and it didn’t compare even in the slightest 😭

• Haha 1