Delayed Luggage aka Lost or Mishandled Luggage

Henery

Thats what the airlines like to call it these days. "Delayed Luggage" may make it sound like less of a problem for the traveler considering it will make it in on the next flight from where ever the screw up happened. Great if you're not going anywhere for the next couple of days but a major headache for someone boarding a cruise ship. The luggage has to catch up to the ship and although HAL  understands the dilemma there's not much they can do except ask you to wait until they get to a viable port??  

So, FYI, the carelessness happened with Lufthansa/Dolomiti in Munich for what its worth. 

Its the first time its happened to us in many many cruises. That being said, and being a pilot, I can't subscribe to the idea that "sh$t happens", but rather  a series of events leads to the screw up. So,  minimize the risk is all you can do.  Always use a carry-on with at least a days change of clothes. Divide half of your wardrobe between the two suitcases.

What else can you do except at dream of getting your hands around the neck of the careless baggage handler with the barcode scanner which he considers another technological extravaganza . 

• Like 6

One advantage of arriving a few days before the cruise is that the luggage has a chance to be reunited with you before you board 😉 

One of our roll call members was called over by the airline when we were picking up our luggage.  They knew her luggage had not gotten on the plane and promised delivery the next day.  Luggage was delivered to her hotel BUT if she had been sailing instead of staying a couple of days pre-cruise, it would not have been the same happy ending to her sailing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good advice to have a change of clothes in your carry on bag and to cross pack with your travel companion.  

A few years ago, my checked bag did not arrive with us at our destination, but fortunately, the cruise didn't leave for another day and my bag arrived in my hotel room in time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not only luggage.  After our TA we flew to London for a few days. One of our mobility scooters did not arrive.  Two days later we got it but it was grounded.  We learned later the pilot reported the plane was over weight and ordered some luggage removed.  On that removable apparently my scooter fell of the fork lift.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, kazu said:

One advantage of arriving a few days before the cruise is that the luggage has a chance to be reunited with you before you board 😉 

During these times with COVID testing required not more than 2 days before sailing, I'm guessing a number of people are changing their plans and flying in on the day of the cruise. I'm sure it will increase the (small) number who end up boarding the ship before their luggage catches up....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

During these times with COVID testing required not more than 2 days before sailing, I'm guessing a number of people are changing their plans and flying in on the day of the cruise. I'm sure it will increase the (small) number who end up boarding the ship before their luggage catches up....

I’m afraid you are right 😔. I think those going early are taking the tests you can do with medical supervision on line which seems like a good move to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Henery said:

Thats what the airlines like to call it these days. "Delayed Luggage" .

I guess technically most of the time it is more correct that "Lost Luggage". 😄 If it is on the next plane, or to be shipped soon, they know where it is, it is just not arriving the same time you are.

Edited by Boytjie
  • Thanks 1

We were on a 10 day Baltic cruise (on Princess) when I overheard a woman in the laundry room say her luggage had finally caught up to her. It was the IIRC the seventh day of the cruise. (We were in Helsinki at the time after 2 days in St. Petersburg.) I do remember her saying that Princess was very good at providing her clothes to wear.

• Thanks 1

It happens.   I can say that in 40 years of very frequent business and personal air travel it only happened twice.  When a friendly check in clerk persuaded me, against my better judgement, to check my suit bag instead of hanging it on board.  Secured the business even though I gave the pitch in my day old street clothes.

Some are better than others. Our bag missed a Lufthansa connection in Frankfurt.  We looked up on the screen, saw our names with a note that it was following on next flight into Rome in three hours.  Not a biggie.

We no longer have those concerns. We switched to carry on only when we retired.  The only time we check is at ground check when boarding a smaller aircraft such as a Dash.  Then it goes from the cage beside the plane steps directly into the hold.  We know it will be waiting for us when we deplane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back in July 2007 Alitalia "misplaced" one of our bags on a flight from Catania, Sicily to Rome. We received the bag in September. This was one of many problems I had with them over the years. SO glad they are finally going under.

• Thanks 1

I believe that the airlines and baggage folks, in general,  do an amazing job given the volume of luggage they handle and the sometimes tight time frames that they have to move it about.

Edited by iancal

And there’s always the joy of travelling with only the clothes on your back and trying to buy underwear in European sizes!  
or landing in Hawaii in your winter clothes and having to buy everything in the 15 minutes before Target closes.

But I always have all my difficult to replace items in my carryon and some spare clothes.  

• Like 2

Early in our cruising life - and on our first ever Mediterranean cruise, the airline lost both our suitcases.  Actually, we're pretty sure they were left on the tarmac in the rain during our transfer in Frankfurt.  We of course, arrived on the day of the cruise, so boarded with just our carry-ons (which were partially empty, because we only included a set of underwear each, and our magazines - hey, we were newbies, what did we know?!?).  Our luggage did not catch up with us until the 3rd day of the cruise (our first port) at Istanbul.  Thankfully, HAL gave us an amenities kit that included a t-shirt and toiletries, and I was able to borrow a curling iron from lost & found for my hair.  They also did our laundry every night and it was hanging on a hook outside our door when we got up in the morning.  We were finally reunited with the bedraggled looking luggage after our HAL tour where we saw it sitting on the dock waiting for us - I ran over and kissed each piece, then proceeded to take everything out to hang them up to dry.  Again, HAL stepped up and offered to launder every piece that was wet, which was more than they needed to do.  Our clothes never looked so good - they even ironed my little white socks!

Lessons learned - I always cross-pack, put every piece into zip-lock bags (it's amazing the sizes you can get now), and carry a complete change of clothing in our carry-ons.  I'm a quick study.  LOL

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1