The Daily for Monday September 13, 2021

richwmn

Today is Defy Superstition Day, Fortune Cookie Day, and National Peanut Day

"A stockbroker urged me to buy a stock that would triple its value every year. I told him, 'At my age, I don't even buy green bananas.' - Claude Pepper"

Meal suggestion for today - Crustless Caprese Quiche

Drink of the Day - Jack and Coke

Wine of the day - Hecht & Bannier 2019 Rosé (Côtes de Provence) Provence

Destination of the Day - Devils Island French Guiana

Ships with Passengers

Juneau, AK
Nieuw Amsterdam 13:00 - 22:00

Zadar, Croatia
Eurodam 07:00 - 17:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 9/19
Zuiderdam Drifting

Augusta IT
Zaandam

Corfu GR
Volendam

Ensenada MX
Noordam Anchorage

Ijmuiden NL
Rotterdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

0913Alaska.thumb.png.93ceeaecc0ba45a171df35ef53dda51f.png

0913NAmerica.thumb.png.40f4c07939c47994f01b7cd4aae9d75d.png

0913Europe.thumb.png.5480327fafbc65ae96511a6831a72010.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7

Good Monday morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  I’m not really superstitious so that’s easy for me. Fortune cookies are fun.  Peanuts deserve a day, they’re delicious.  Today’s quote is a nice morning chuckle.  The quiche sounds delicious, by the way we had the Jamaican Jerk Pork Chops last evening and they were delicious as well.  Haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event. 

• Like 22

Good Monday morning.  I'm not superstitious, I love Fortune cookies, and Peanuts are good everyday.  Funny quote today.  Thank you Rich for your work.  We all love our Daily.  Look forward to today's recipe.  Have not been to today's port.  Prayers and toasts for our lists.

Everyone stay safe, continue to social distance, and please wear your mask.  We all want to meet again on a BHB.

Jack & Coke:

2 ounces Jack Daniels to 4 ounces cola =
1 part Jack to 2 parts cola

Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 7.05.07 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I try not to be superstitious but suspect most of us are a bit, anyway.  I love peanuts.  Not into Fortune Cookies but I guess they go well with superstition.  I'll pass on the Quiche.  I'm starting to sympathize with the Pepper Quote.

Devil's Island is a very interesting place but always take ample water ashore.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
dfish friend Donna recovering from hip surgery
Lady Hudson’s BIL awaiting rehab
Sam recovering from small stroke hospitalized until medication levels adjusted
From the rotation:
irishjim awaiting surgery for ear cancer September 14
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Dfish and Sue in Juneau
Successful hip replacement for Donna
Notseh2o visit with mom
Overhead Fred at the Cottage and negative
Getaway for segarsmoker
lindaler visiting Alabama son
SusieKislandGirl in Colorado with grandsons
First cruise from Baltimore (Carnival Pride)
JAM37 DH much improved
my negative test and coming high school reunion
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8

Good morning all, and thanks for the Daily Information.

Defy Superstition?  I think I'd be afraid of the bad karma (my most consistent superstition?  Every time I board an airplane, my right palm goes flat to the fuselage at the door...sends good vibes for a safe flight).  My family knows to save all the fortune cookies for me.  My favorite peanuts are wrapped in chocolate, a colorful hard shell coating and the letters "M&M" printed on the outside.

The recipe should be interesting...crustless quiche?  Curious on that one.  As for the drink of the day, it's my son-in-law's favorite, but after a bad turn with Jack almost 40 years ago, I haven't touched the stuff.

I really love all the photos people share of each port of the day.  Thank you to all who bring these wonderful places to me!!

Prayers to those in need, and a toast to all who are celebrating.  Hope all have a great day!!

• Like 25

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  Somehow, Defy Superstition and Fortune Cookie Day seem to conflict though 😉.  

15881599-1B6D-4530-B9F6-96D72AEB5351.png.cb4bf81229cb6511bdf7b735485db15c.png

OMG on today’s quote.  Too funny 🙂  

EB17F93E-8EB1-4479-BE20-E99F5909E8E0.png.69b935f85b62d0a343f03e6619f8072c.png

Never fear, thanks to the Daily we always have a meal recommendation and this one Crustless Caprese Quiche is quite good.  Lots of fresh tomatoes available here so it’s ideal 😉 

Here is the ‘standard’ receipt for the quiche - https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/crustless-caprese-quiche-recipe-2122376

97B9EB37-0507-4D74-A0EB-E0C993507CC8.jpeg.a2b1f3a71a417bf96e94e355f418bcb7.jpeg

I’d be tempted to adapt it to the low carb menu which has better reviews (5*)  https://freshaprilflours.com/crustless-caprese-quiche/

F1BEECE6-3922-46D0-B99F-FB1502A5E185.thumb.webp.e2b2bc54fb0b5bf8cbaa31f03ae2fea2.webp

Either way it’s a refreshing quiche.  I’m saving the recipe for another night as we had tomato pie last night and it won’t take any arm twisting to convince DH to have the leftovers tonight 😉 

Gardening Club Participants:  I’m happy to report that spraying my dahlia foliage with the mix of Epsom salts & water is helping to put the missing magnesium back.  My blooms may not be as stupendous as other years, but there are some coming again and the green is starting to look better in the leaves.  Recipe - 8 tablespoons of Epsom salts to 4 quarts of water.

If you have a lot of rain and see the leaves lightening, start applying every 2 weeks.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone!

39EF0D6E-3148-49D3-A974-1CD1F02EB31E.thumb.jpeg.01ee192a11eb0ab6d87e1c263a3548cc.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning everyone. Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report.

We had Chinese takeaway the other night. Should I be superstitious? My Fortune cookie - was missing a fortune!

Prayers for you Irishjim with your surgery tomorrow.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

I'm a little bit superstitious and I don't want to change things now.🤞 Not a big fan of fortune cookies, I read the fortune, then give the cookie to the dog.  Love peanuts, especially the chocolate covered ones.

Amusing quote.

The meal sounds good, thanks @kazu I'll save that recipe for another day.

I'll pass on the drink, hope the wine is good.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List, cheers for all the celebrations.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A great combo of days. Not very superstitious. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyite family. It is a glorious morning here. It certainly feels like Fall this morning.

@kplady prayers for a successful surgery today and a quick recovery. 
@irishjim praying that your surgery tomorrow also is successful & minimal with a quick recovery. 

Today’s meal sounds & looks delicious. PT day, PT homework, Bindi walks and leftovers for supper just about sums up my day.  

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Hecht & Bannier 2019 Rosé (Côtes de Provence)

All released vintages of this wine share the same excellent ratings, and very decent prices. Several online distributors with prices starting at $17.99. Note: the 2019 vintage is beyond the age that the reviewer suggests we should enjoy it. But they have been know to be wrong. 😉

Winemaker Notes

#84 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

A Provence rosé of immense charm and minerality redolent of fennel, anise and purple flowers. Grab a glass with some friends and taste with a fougasse, some anchovies and even some Salonenque olives.

WE90 Wine Enthusiast: A rich wine full of ripe raspberry flavors, this spicy blend includes Grenache and Cinsault along with a touch of white Vermentino. This full wine will develop over the next few months. Either drink now or wait until late 2020.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good lunchtime from Ireland,

I missed Saturday and Sunday's Daily as we were away at our eldest granddaughter's Confirmation.  Only parents, child and god parents (should that be a capital G?) permitted in the church, so we were only to the 'afters'.  It was a long night!

This was the first drive in our new car and we really enjoyed it as it was very comfortable.

We are now just waiting to drive to the clinic for DW's zolendronic acid infusion.  She is a bit apprehensive, but deep down knows it is for the best.

Take care everyone.

• Like 33

Today's alternate menu suggestion is once again from the "Crystal Classics" section of the Crystal Serenity menu.  On September 13. 2016 we visited Bar Harbor.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/menu0913.pdf

My alternate menu suggestion is Grilled New York Sirloin Steak, Gratinated Cauliflower, Pommes Dauphine, and Mint Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream.  Here's the steak:

sirloin0913.jpg

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I'm not superstitious, like fortune cookies and peanuts.

The quiche sounds good although I will have to read reviews to see how long it keeps or if anyone has tried freezing part of it as DH wouldn't touch it so I would have to eat it all.

The quote made me chuckle.

Never been to the port, but so enjoy the pictures posted here each day.

We didn't do the project yesterday, but we did go downstairs and got the stapler and staples to do it with. Worked on the printer when we got back upstairs since the black isn't printing well and decided we will have to go into town to get a new one today. That was enough for DH. Other than that we watched A LOT of football Saturday and Sunday which we both love. The projects, big and small, will get done eventually. 🙂

So, we will go into town today for printer ink. (Not sure if DH will go inside.) We'll see how he feels after that. My guess is that we will come home, change the ink out and work on the forms we need to mail out this week and then rest.

@kplady@irishjim Prayers for successful surgeries and quick recovery for you both.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Roy, thank you for putting Sam on the care list and thank you to all for yesterday’s good wishes. They are so appreciated. Several weeks ago, Sam’s cardiologist said he wanted a CT of Sam’s brain so he could start him on a blood thinner. My daughter called the neurologist 4 times to have it done before Sam’s scheduled appointment several weeks ahead.Never a call back. So, on the day of his appointment, he had the scan and then it took a whole week to get it read. My daughter told the neurologist he would be responsible if her dad got another stroke because he hadn’t done his job and that’s when we got the all clear to start the new meds. He had only been on them for a week before this second stroke and his levels weren’t high enough. He really slipped through aa big hole in the medical care. Right now they are monitoring his levels and doing some tests and it looks like not too much damage was done. Hopefully he will be home tomorrow if he reaches the warfarin levels they want.

I am not a happy camper with this outcome, but I’m trying to adjust to this new normal as best Incan.

Before we moved to our new home where we were downsizing, we ate at a Chinese restaurant. My fortune said You can be just as happy in a small home as in a large one. We have been very happy in our home, here 8 years already and have made some wonderful friends.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

I have a very hectic day today.  Not having traveled for 18 months I need to prepare for my high school reunion in Upstate New York this weekend, plus I have rehab and meetings of both my church Finance team and Fire Department Directors.  If we don't have pictures of Devils Island today I'll try to get to them this evening.

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Roy, thank you for putting Sam on the care list and thank you to all for yesterday’s good wishes. They are so appreciated. Several weeks ago, Sam’s cardiologist said he wanted a CT of Sam’s brain so he could start him on a blood thinner. My daughter called the neurologist 4 times to have it done before Sam’s scheduled appointment several weeks ahead.Never a call back. So, on the day of his appointment, he had the scan and then it took a whole week to get it read. My daughter told the neurologist he would be responsible if her dad got another stroke because he hadn’t done his job and that’s when we got the all clear to start the new meds. He had only been on them for a week before this second stroke and his levels weren’t high enough. He really slipped through aa big hole in the medical care. Right now they are monitoring his levels and doing some tests and it looks like not too much damage was done. Hopefully he will be home tomorrow if he reaches the warfarin levels they want.

I am not a happy camper with this outcome, but I’m trying to adjust to this new normal as best Incan.

Before we moved to our new home where we were downsizing, we ate at a Chinese restaurant. My fortune said You can be just as happy in a small home as in a large one. We have been very happy in our home, here 8 years already and have made some wonderful friends.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

Carol...I cannot imagine the stress levels that you and your family are under.  Kudos to your daughter for speaking up - it is a fact of the times that we must be our loved ones' best advocate today.

I know a few years ago when my Dad had taken so ill and my brother and sister and I took turns being with him throughout the day, and having doctors/nurses in and out.  We kept a blank journal by his side, and any time a medical professional came in, whoever was with him at the time took detailed notes.  It not only kept us all equally informed, but gave us the chance to refer back to what some other medical professional had said any time a doctor or nurse came in afterwards with a question or comment that contradicted what had been said.  Made keeping track of details easier.  It's something I know I will use again should another family member be in a similar situation.

I hope that things move in a good trajectory for Sam and better days are ahead.

• Like 27

I’ve never considered myself very superstitious, but maybe I am.  

For example:  I was raised that you always leave a clean house when you are going away on vacation.  Why?  In case you are in an accident, you don’t want the folks entering your house in your absence to see that you are a bad housekeeper.  I’ve never been in an accident on a vacation.

I leave Thursday for a river cruise.  I spent yesterday cleaning my house.  

Am I superstitious?

• Like 21
  • Haha 11

Thank you Rich for your loyal Daily and to all our guest reporters. Tis my favorite day. A new week and a pile of laundry. 

Yes it is laundry day and I’m the sorter, washer and folder!

Doctors appointment this afternoon for a routine six month check. Labs looked great!

Goal of the week is less time here on boards and a more beneficial use of my precious time. 🤔

• Like 20

Good morning from central Texas, where we hope to get some rain today and tomorrow.

I'm not really superstitious, but like @rafinmd Roy said, I think most people including me are a little superstitious about somethings.  When we eat at a Chinese restaurant, besides reading the fortune, I'll eat the cookie.  I like peanuts in most forms, but especially covered in chocolate.

An interesting quote today.

The quiche looks good, but I probably won't try to make it.  I've had Jack and coke, but prefer rum (Captain Morgans) in my coke.  I'll pass on the wine.

@irishjim  Sending good thoughts for a successful surgery tomorrow with as little damage to you ear as possible.

@kplady  Sending good thoughts for a successful outcome today and for a speedy recovery.

@mamaofami  Carol, thanks for the update, and glad there appears to be no too much damage.  Good your DD is holding the neurologist responsible.  Hope they get Sam's levels up and he can come home tomorrow.  I know the stress must be horrible, but please take time for yourself.

We've been to Devil's Island twice.  The first time was in 1999 on Noordam III and the second was in 2006 on the old Regal Princess.  The 1999 pictures are pre-digital, so these are from 2006.  You cannot actually visit Devil.s Island, the smallest of the three islands.  It was the isolation camp for a handful of political prisoners.  The main prison was on Salvation Island.  The third island is Isle Royal.

The island from the tenderIMG_0113.thumb.JPG.efb8d05c2951fdf77dadfec5c2bbfc17.JPG

Devil's Island

IMG_0118.thumb.JPG.ed1364dd377f6afe33e3af3c037a14b9.JPG

Some of the prison buildings

IMG_0131.thumb.JPG.9d508a5ef6ad72e22e647c39211c029b.JPG

IMG_0134.thumb.JPG.2107d3a54fc7b6a599939e2cc8769458.JPGIMG_0135.thumb.JPG.a829cb9ddac0f574a1b47123d8af1799.JPG

IMG_0136.thumb.JPG.3c23f6ea31d7ae598d404d852e57250e.JPG

IMG_0146.thumb.JPG.a81d3b2254d2e3cd18fcc26af159a0fb.JPG

The more modern or restored buildings.  

IMG_0116.thumb.JPG.dd8e61425d0f2c253f45ac554aa7a963.JPG

IMG_0126.thumb.JPG.5c3cbe651ba71aa3aa9bb33506284d9d.JPG

IMG_0127.thumb.JPG.9fedf0dab1d63ddf59b9010c222ffbcd.JPG

IMG_0132.thumb.JPG.3e5fc2c92372ab7d59dff3c0a3c1bc1e.JPG

A few natives

IMG_0147.thumb.JPG.56801a2b09201d23f69a17169fd775b1.JPG

The path to the tender dock and the harbor between the islands.

IMG_0151.thumb.JPG.1242e67bd6a9ed40d0db93260df0bb41.JPG

IMG_0157.thumb.JPG.485b80dd4b920e1edcd5f750214f463e.JPG

Lenda

IMG_0128.JPG

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 34

Good morning Dailyites. Thanks to Rich for the Daily and our contributors. 

Prayers going out to all on Roy's list. A special prayer for Roy as he goes to attend his reunion to be safe and have fun. Prayers for Sam and @irishjim. Ann, how is your friend who is having cancer treatments?

Today I woke up feeling pretty good. Antibiotics kicked in. Went to fill bird feeders and everything was on the ground again. Luckily the "dam" deer didn't break my last hummingbird feeder..

Looks like our rain has arrived. We were supposed to have rain all through the week,  but now just shows 2 days. Maybe Tropical Storm Nicholas will bring some more in a few days. We could use it..

That quiche sounds good Jacqui. I think we're going out for an early dinner after Allen's appointment this afternoon. Hoping for halibut and a big salad.

I am superstitious. I admit it. I get "the Willie's " if you know what I mean..

image.png.6ade1539adc33b8db16e5a4f47bbd41c.png

Fortune cookies were fun as a kid. Not so much now.

image.png.eb237148d1f275106f784ab407e7fbec.png

image.png.51e0b78ce25ff6e6a2afa493505bb5c8.png

Allen was raised on a farm in Georgia. One of their crops were peanuts. 

image.png.7c36840e1f41a453fc1356b80eb82cae.png

Prayers, Cheers and Blessings 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7