The Daily for Tuesday September 14, 2021

richwmn

53 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

Buckhorn Locks (#31 on the Trent-Severn Waterway). Spent some time enjoying the sun and watching the boats lock through -

My old haunting grounds from University day.  So pretty 🙂 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good afternoon everyone. I am very late  today.DH had 2 medical appointments  today and we just got home.

We love crab in all of its forms and I make a decent  crab cake.I no longer eat donuts but will give them their day.I admire creativity but seem to lack that trait myself.

The pictures  of the port are fabulous. Thanks to all for posting. It was very pleasant  to look at while waiting  today.

The recipe will be tried later this week.I tend to use dried beans  and always pre soak overnight.

I leave you with a recent picture of Camilla

5358.jpeg

Awwww ♥️ 💜 ❤️ ♥️ 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

This image was originally created last year, but I saw in last night on one of the Quartzsite FB pages.  With the US border still closed to Canadians, and snowbird season beginning to pick up in Quartzsite, I thought some of the Dailyites would enjoy it.  

No photo description available.

Lenda

I'm with them!

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good afternoon everyone. I am very late  today.DH had 2 medical appointments  today and we just got home.

We love crab in all of its forms and I make a decent  crab cake.I no longer eat donuts but will give them their day.I admire creativity but seem to lack that trait myself.

The pictures  of the port are fabulous. Thanks to all for posting. It was very pleasant  to look at while waiting  today.

The recipe will be tried later this week.I tend to use dried beans  and always pre soak overnight.

I leave you with a recent picture of Camilla

5358.jpeg

I think every time we see her, she's asleep!  What colour are her eyes?😇  Very sweet baby.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning to all! I failed miserably yesterday on my goal of spending less time here on the boards! There could be more an addiction than I thought!

Love Alaskan crab legs but these days they can really put a dent in your wallet. Maryland blue crab I like once a year but a lot of work and then there is the mess!

Asked my doctor yesterday what causes my forearm to turn black and blue so easily if I bang into something? Doctor said “no problem as those are called Senior Tattooitis!” Than I asked him about a couple of brown spots on my face. “Well Bruce you know how whales have barnacles?” “Those are your barnacles!”

Have a great day, make someone smile and remember those in need.

Bruce, I want your doctor!!  Mine is just too serious.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon, all! I love crab, but DH doesn’t. I also love cream filled donuts, but can no longer eat them. I’ve finally learned that the pain after eating one is worse and lasts longer than the pain of passing one by. It’s close, though, very close!

We’ve never been to today’s port, and have been enjoying the pictures very much. I love how the theater has stayed in use over the centuries with seating updated from time to time within the ruins of the original. The thought of people enjoying shows in the same theater their distant ancestors did is wonderful!

We did an early local walk today before the rain set in. It looks like it’s here for some time. We had a Zoom meeting earlier today for the 2023 Grand World Voyage. Being the first, it was just introductions. It was exciting to see familiar faces from the 2020 GWV, and meet new ship mates to be. Hi @richwmn!

@smitty34877what an adorable picture of Miss Camilla! @Overhead FredI was wondering about those crab and cream filled donuts, too!

Happy Tuesday!  I wish my rain wet shoes were standing on one of these mats on a BHB!

FD08E4F4-9C06-422E-8A9A-606804F840B0.thumb.jpeg.bafc9a402547d17db0c2631dcaa807f0.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon and thank you for the Daily Rich.  Thanks to Roy for the Cares List, prayers to all.  @kplady so glad to hear you are recovering and hope your hospital stay is short.  @irishjim hope all went well today.

Only the crab is interesting for me today.  Love, love, love crab!

@ger_77and @Quartzsite Cruiser, yes to soaking the beans overnight.  The fast par cook method makes them too mushy, IMO.  I cook a lot of pinto beans in the crockpot and pre-planning the soaking makes a huge difference.   However, I'll pass on the meal suggestion,  I prefer Mexican chorizo. 

While we were on the NA in Alaska I wanted to book the Zaandam Holiday cruise for 2022 but it wasn't available for booking.  I think the World Cruise switch over to the Zuiderdam has frozen that cruise.  So, DH and I have been brainstorming and think we found something even better, a 21 day transatlantic med cruise on the NS.  However, I can't get real cabin info or prices, HAL's site is just a spinning wheel right now for me.  It really doesn't matter, we are going to book in October during our California Coastal.  It's just fun to look at cabins. If we do book that we will be canceling our October 2022 cruise.

Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 19

So far, no rain today, but it is cloudy and breezy.  The best part, is it has stayed in the low 80sF, which is cool for September,  It's usually at least the upper 80s to lower 90s this time of year.  Don't get me wrong, we are NOT compaining.  In fact, it was so nice, we decided to take a ride in the convertible, and it was really enjoyable.  We drove back roads over to a small town that has a Norse history, and then took different back roads home.

@smitty34877  It seems impossible, but Camilla gets cuter every time we see a new picture.

@Jazzzy  Sorry your back is acting up.

I saved the slow cooker version of the recipe for this winter.  Tonight, since it is crab fest day, we'll be having crab cakes, and whatever else I can find to go with them.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

While we were on the NA in Alaska I wanted to book the Zaandam Holiday cruise for 2022 but it wasn't available for booking.  I think the World Cruise switch over to the Zuiderdam has frozen that cruise. 

They more than froze it, they cancelled it. We were booked to stay on the Zaandam for that cruise between the Grand Africa and the Grand World. HAL cancelled it with no replacement option and refunded our money.😔

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kazu said:

Anyone ever hear that doctors make the worst patients?  It’s true.  DH has a muscle spasm & I am playing nurse.  OMG - Lord, give me strength.  I’d hate to hear the moaning and groaning if he had had my elbow surgery 😂 

Oh dear, I hope your DH's muscle spasm was short lasting; my DH had shoulder and neck problems a couple of weeks ago that required a few sessions with a chiropractor and masseuse to fix.  Please give him our best wishes, and maybe you'd better pour an extra glass of wine for his nurse.  😉

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 13

8 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Perhaps the problem with getting help with professional health care workers is that the money they earn from the job is unattractive to the equivalent of $12 per hour from unemployment.  Perhaps if they earned a bit more they would be more interested in working.

Roy

Or if they made enough to,pay for child care for their children.  In the vast majority of cases, they are not lazy oafs happy to live off the dole.  

• Like 16

Howdy everyone.  Just checking in to say we are having the best time.  This is our first time, and possibly only time unless there are future wonderful upsells, in a Neptune suite.  We love having breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill each morning. Service has been exemplary and the food good.  It feels like a home to us now.  The staff seems genuinely happy to have us onboard. Several times a day we tell each other how happy we are to be doing this.  We are truly fortunate to be able to cruise in good times, let alone in a pandemic.

• Like 23

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

They more than froze it, they cancelled it. We were booked to stay on the Zaandam for that cruise between the Grand Africa and the Grand World. HAL cancelled it with no replacement option and refunded our money.😔

Oh dear, I am so disappointed. I wonder what the Zuiderdam will be doing prior to the World Cruise.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Oh dear, I am so disappointed. I wonder what the Zuiderdam will be doing prior to the World Cruise.  

I hope you find out. For us, it filled the gap from the Zaandam ending the GA and it starting the GW without having to pack or travel over the holiday season. Staying on the Zaandam for her post GA cruise or boarding the Zuiderdam for her pre GW plans wouldn’t be the same.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Oh dear, I hope your DH's muscle spasm was short lasting; my DH had shoulder and neck problems a couple of weeks ago that required a few sessions with a chiropractor and masseuse to fix.  Please give him our best wishes, and maybe you'd better pour an extra glass of wine for his nurse.  😉

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thanks Gerry.  He’ll survive - I might not 😉 

An extra glass?  I think I need two 😉.  But he’s starting to move a bit.  He came downstairs and realized I had taken both the dogs for a walk and came hobbling out to catch up on our way back.

Now, to see if he will listen to the nurse and dose himself with Robaxacet pre-bed, etc.  

• Like 11

37 minutes ago, dfish said:

Howdy everyone.  Just checking in to say we are having the best time.  This is our first time, and possibly only time unless there are future wonderful upsells, in a Neptune suite.  We love having breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill each morning. Service has been exemplary and the food good.  It feels like a home to us now.  The staff seems genuinely happy to have us onboard. Several times a day we tell each other how happy we are to be doing this.  We are truly fortunate to be able to cruise in good times, let alone in a pandemic.

Wow, Debbie, so happy to hear that the PG is good service now after the previous reports. 

The PG is a nice way to start the day 👍 

Hope the great times continue!

• Like 12

8 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Sounds like what we’ve noticed. 
Our pound allows one to return a dog within so many weeks if it doesn’t work out. With our last 2 adoptions, we noticed a big behavior difference the day after the “warranty” expired. And we love them anyway.

Sorry if it sounded negative. This guy is so lovable I could never return him. He behaves like a puppy at times in a nine year old body! Actually he has a sad history. His original owner passed away last year. The family couldn't keep him so gave him up for adoption from a shelter. Someone adopted him but returned him after four months: "They didn't have time for him." He was returned undernourished, depressed, a kidney infection, and a case of diarrhea. Plus admitted he was kept in a crate up to 24 hours at times.

Chesapeake Area Alaskan Malamute Protection (CHAAMP) took ownership of him in June. But then was bounced between a paid kennel and two different fosters. They actually classified him as a hospice dog with his hip dysplasia and the amount of meds needed by him. CHAAMP was prepared to have him live the remainder of his life at a kennel figuring no one would adopt him at his age.  I had adopted my last rescue from CHAAMP ("My Sweetie Girl", Juno) that I had to put down this past June at 13 years of age.  Sam was online at their website then. I knew he was my next dog!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1