Jump to content

Response I just got from Abbott about my BinaxNow home test.


Sgt. Jeff
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

 

This is not necessarily a mistake.

 

Remember, the expiration date is based upon the date the sterilization cycle was completed. The items will be held until the quality control testing is complete that shows that lot was effectively sterilized.

 

The product will then be released to the manufacturer's warehouse where orders for the product will be sent out by the release date of the lot (older product goes out first). 

 

There will be time involved in transit to the wholesaler's warehouse and then the time period before that stock is shipped out to the retail space (again can involve transit through other warehouses) or shipped to a customer's home.

 

So yes, you can receive a product that has an expiry date that is close to the time that you would purchase and be expected to use the product. 

 

Before anyone asks, I spent five years at the FDA reviewing and approving sterilization cycles and stability studies (which is what expiry dates are based on) for opthalmic  devices.

Not when I am purchasing 6 tests,  I obviously am not going to test all at once.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

You do realize Abbott does not have newer kits, right? When covid plummeted back in May/June timeframe they shut down manufacturing, let the staff go, and destroyed some odd 10M kits (these were expired or expiring soon). They can't ramp up manufacturing quickly because they have to hire all new staff, obtain supplies, and start the process over. It is difficult for any business to get workers right now. They have learned to live on a little less and not work at all. They will figure something out or even outsource it. But, the supply on hand is what they have. When it is gone, it is gone. 

Then DON"T sell 6 packs, OR tell the customer the expiration date ahead of time so they can make a decision on rather they want to purchase the 6 pack.  ROBBERY

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, lele100 said:

Then DON"T sell 6 packs, OR tell the customer the expiration date ahead of time so they can make a decision on rather they want to purchase the 6 pack.  ROBBERY

Don't buy directly from eMed. Buy it from Optum or go get tested somewhere else. 

 

How is it ROBBERY? Your insurance will reimburse you. Do a little research first.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I have better insurance if your company is failing to follow the covid acts. I got my $150 approved and a check will be on the way in a few days. I guess better insurance companies follow the laws.

 

Maybe, I won't argue with you that your insurance company paid for you , that's great, but do not argue with me that all insurance companies pay because they don't.  That's all   Have a nice day

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I received my self tests through the mail, there was a barcode on the outside of the box. I scanned it and found that the date for the self tests have been extended for 12 months. My dates for expiration was 10/2021. The FDA has granted and extension for all of the tests if kept at room temperature for an extra 12 months. Hopefully everyone has this on the outside of the mailing box not the test kits themselves.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, csm5986142 said:

 

Thank you for posting this!  My tests just arrive in the mail yesterday, and have an expiration of 09-21-2021.  That would be a very short timeframe if not for the extension.

Same! Arrived yesterday. My cruise is 9/23. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Sgt. Jeff said:

Not trying to worry anybody, but my test expires in 10/5/21.  It is my understanding that the expiration dates have been extended.   But, I just got this response from Abbott directly.   So now I'm confused.   I was on hold for 4 hours but I had to hang up.  What do yall think?   Not trying to worry anyone, just showing what I got.  Thanks.   

Screenshot_20210914-085330_Messenger.jpg

 

 

Please read. I just received my test and looked up the lot number.  My tests are good until Feb. 2022.

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, applequeen said:

Did you read my second paragraph? I realize it will work for us.

 

My point is that you can’t assume a 3 month extension will be enough. What if these were for a Dec or Jan cruise? Many on this thread are buying for cruises more than 3 months from now.

 

Optum didn’t know when my cruise was when I placed my order. We are fortunate it is totally fine for our situation. I am glad they were sent to us and not someone who needs them for a cruise 3 months and 9 days from now.

 

It is NOT unreasonable to expect to be sent tests with a reasonable shelf life. 

 

I realize you are trying to appear smarter than everyone else here. Don’t try it with me. I am entitled to my opinion and my opinion is that these tests should not have been sent to me merely days before their expiration. 

Oh look a person with some common sense.  Thank you.  My thoughts exactly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I almost ordered these a month ago for a cruise in Feb 2022, boy am I glad I waited, I just hope that more will be available by the time I need them. We have two cruises scheduled for 2022. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

But they didn't expire eight days from when you received them.

 

The supplier was aware that the kits had an expiration date from the FDA approved extension of three months from that which was on the label.

 

And apparently you are also aware that the expiration date was three months after the date stamped on the package.

 

I don't understand the hissy fit over tests that did NOT expire eight days after your receipt of the test.

EXACTLY!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm really glad we all have upcoming cruises to look forward to.  I hope we all bought cheers too.  Looks like we could all use a drink and a cruise.  I know I need both. 😳  COVID has sucked.  The world being turned upside down has sucked.  These loopholes we have to jump through suck.  I'm trying to keep my eye on the prize.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rlindholm said:

I'm really glad we all have upcoming cruises to look forward to.  I hope we all bought cheers too.  Looks like we could all use a drink and a cruise.  I know I need both. 😳  COVID has sucked.  The world being turned upside down has sucked.  These loopholes we have to jump through suck.  I'm trying to keep my eye on the prize.

First place post for the day of relying on mixed metaphors and clichés!!

Seriously, made me LOL and that's the levity needed right now. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2021 at 9:26 AM, Sgt. Jeff said:

Not trying to worry anybody, but my test expires in 10/5/21.  It is my understanding that the expiration dates have been extended.   But, I just got this response from Abbott directly.   So now I'm confused.   I was on hold for 4 hours but I had to hang up.  What do yall think?   Not trying to worry anyone, just showing what I got.  Thanks.   

Screenshot_20210914-085330_Messenger.jpg

ours is 10/5 too using on 10/1 wew that is crazy

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2021 at 4:53 PM, Ladybug5 said:

When I received my self tests through the mail, there was a barcode on the outside of the box. I scanned it and found that the date for the self tests have been extended for 12 months. My dates for expiration was 10/2021. The FDA has granted and extension for all of the tests if kept at room temperature for an extra 12 months. Hopefully everyone has this on the outside of the mailing box not the test kits themselves.

Ditto, with the extension for 12 months, however it is a QR code that you can download and a letter is provided. . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2021 at 4:05 PM, lele100 said:

Then DON"T sell 6 packs, OR tell the customer the expiration date ahead of time so they can make a decision on rather they want to purchase the 6 pack.  ROBBERY

How does the company know if they are selling to a solo individual or a family of 6, or anything in between?

 

Seller beware in this case, not necessarily the company's responsibility.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MrMarc said:

I finally got mine today, FEDEX had been messing up the delivery all week, and they expire on September 21st.  Luckily I needed it for today.

That had to have been stressful!  Glad you got it in time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I called emed (and spent 53 minutes on hold😒) before speaking to someone. I gave him the lot number on my test (141804) and told him that the expiration date printed on the box read 2021-10-05. I could hear him typing, and then he confirmed to me that this lot number’s expiration date had been extended to January 5, 2022.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Gin-soaked bar-room queen said:

I called emed (and spent 53 minutes on hold😒) before speaking to someone. I gave him the lot number on my test (141804) and told him that the expiration date printed on the box read 2021-10-05. I could hear him typing, and then he confirmed to me that this lot number’s expiration date had been extended to January 5, 2022.

I checked my lot number.  It's not on either list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2021 at 10:00 AM, Border Granny said:

I have them too, for a cruise this month and in December.  I read somewhere online that the FDA had extended the expiration date, I’m going to try to find that and print it out.

would you let us know   ours is oct 5th also

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...