Equinox 9/17 LIVE BLOG; Aqua Class - 1st Time Celebrity! Let’s Cruise!

TravelBluebird

Had a lovely dinner at Indian Harbor. We literally dropped our luggage in our room at the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Harbor and immediately walked over for dinner (easy walking distance from hotel). We were SO hungry; we eat 2 meals a day, and had not had anything but a small snack on the plane.

Very good Indian food in a nice setting! We shared a Samosa Chaat (Samosas in a chick pea sauce), and for mains we shared a Goat Lal Maas (Russ likes to see how goat is prepared; we used to get goat from the County Fair) and a Lamb Rogan Josh.  

We then saw the Cold Stone Creamery, and although QUITE full, like 2 little kids needing a treat after a LONG day, did get the smallest ice creams we could find! No regrets.

D1231E5D-2082-42BA-A995-56801B21E6AD.jpeg

CD4E929C-84A0-48F2-9C29-754D78E46D25.jpeg

25C37EC9-9336-4D89-972F-732ED0C31837.jpeg

2168BB0E-59EA-4282-9190-E3562F517F60.jpeg

2DC97FD8-1F1A-4CC6-9358-2F361472DC17.jpeg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, TeaBag said:

I am so sorry this has happened to you. I'd have no nails left.

WNcruiser beat me to it!  I'm sure you'll be joining the "day ahead flyers" if you haven't already.

I hope you can phone Southwest now to get a seat on the later flight.  I imagine there will be  mad scramble for seats on that flight.  Can they fill the plane or do they have to observe distancing?

I will be watching you sail so make sure you wave!  I'll be at my desk which is where I sail from these days.  Drat.

I’m a hair twirler when stressed. Lets just say its frizzier than when I started out this morning!  I always come in one day ahead; do you fly in two days ahead? 

We did make the original flight (but JUST). Making it required parking in valet parking ($33 a day, but our niece picked the car up for us tonight; original plan was to park at her house 10 minutes from airport and take an UBER). And no potty stops along the way, though we both desperately needed one!

Flight was FULL; not 1 seat available.  So no distancing.

I will wave! Look for the short gal with the giant mop of hair!

9 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

Had a lovely dinner at Indian Harbor. We literally dropped our luggage in our room at the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Harbor and immediately walked over for dinner (easy walking distance from hotel). We were SO hungry; we eat 2 meals a day, and had not had anything but a small snack on the plane.

Very good Indian food in a nice setting! We shared a Samosa Chaat (Samosas in a chick pea sauce), and for mains we shared a Goat Lal Maas (Russ likes to see how goat is prepared; we used to get goat from the County Fair) and a Lamb Rogan Josh.  

We then saw the Cold Stone Creamery, and although QUITE full, like 2 little kids needing a treat after a LONG day, did get the smallest ice creams we could find! No regrets.

D1231E5D-2082-42BA-A995-56801B21E6AD.jpeg

CD4E929C-84A0-48F2-9C29-754D78E46D25.jpeg

25C37EC9-9336-4D89-972F-732ED0C31837.jpeg

2168BB0E-59EA-4282-9190-E3562F517F60.jpeg

2DC97FD8-1F1A-4CC6-9358-2F361472DC17.jpeg

Glad to see you made it safely to Ft Lauderdale and hopefully tomorrow's check-in will be smooth and uneventful. You two are going to have such a great time on your cruise!! 😎

• Like 1

Our pre-cruise hotel, as mentioned, is the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Marina. Very nice lobby; room is a little dated but comfortable bed and nice TV and desk;  We booked on Bonvoy points, and it was the same points for a regular or a corner room, so we picked the corner room. 

Front desk was super helpful on various questions this evening; bell man also wonderful. Doesn’t look very crowded; didn’t see another soul in the lobby. My only criticism is the room has a slightly musty odor (but the good AC helps)

Great location, can walk to restaurants and coffee houses, and near Port.  I hear there are iguanas by the pool! I’ll take some pictures in the morning.

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

Our pre-cruise hotel, as mentioned, is the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Marina. Very nice lobby; room is a little dated but comfortable bed and nice TV and desk;  We booked on Bonvoy points, and it was the same points for a regular or a corner room, so we picked the corner room. 

Front desk was super helpful on various questions this evening; bell man also wonderful. Doesn’t look very crowded; didn’t see another soul in the lobby. My only criticism is the room has a slightly musty odor (but the good AC helps)

Great location, can walk to restaurants and coffee houses, and near Port.  I hear there are iguanas by the pool! I’ll take some pictures in the morning.

We stayed there on 9/3 for our edge cruise.  Hadn’t stayed since 2/2020.  Pretty sad given how quiet it was.  Hope business picks up soon. We were the only two on the shuttle to the cruise.  

1 minute ago, maggieq said:

We stayed there on 9/3 for our edge cruise.  Hadn’t stayed since 2/2020.  Pretty sad given how quiet it was.  Hope business picks up soon. We were the only two on the shuttle to the cruise.  

Yes, the musty odor was evident and don’t remember experiencing it before.  

So happy you made your flight.  Even if the seats were not the greatest......you were on the plane!  Don't you love Bonvoy points.

I'm sure you'll sleep well tonight after DH's Mario Andretti driving skills and all that worry about making the plane on time.  Then you'll be fresh as a daisy tomorrow to board Equinox.  Have a wonderful cruise.

Thank you, everyone! I’m usually a bit of a night owl, but going to hit the pillow early tonight (in a few minutes!)

I’ll definitely report on the port experience tomorrow! Thanks for following along. 

A little aside; I didn’t know they had an improv show on the ship; late show, 10:15. I was in an improv troupe for a number of years; so I’m looking forward to that! 

And; I’m a little confused on when the Evening Chic nights are; can anyone help me sort that out? Looks like second sea day for the first one, and then is it 3rd or 4th full sea day at end of cruise? I booked at least 1 of my specialty restaurants on an Elegant Chic night and I want to make sure I didn’t book both on them; if so, I will try to move at least one of the reservations.

Happily sipping a delicious Cuban Cortadito (little Cortado with sweetened esspresso) from the coffee / quick breakfast booth at the hotel. Very good quick espresso here which I always appreciate (husband takes an early morning walk;  then brings me coffee, since I’m useless without that first cup!)

We are going to try Press and Grind Cafe for Acai Bowls for breakfast next!

It’s cruise morning! Definitely a Christmas morning feeling!

• Like 8

I've just caught up with your stressful adventure getting to the airport yesterday and am so happy that everything turned out ok.  We're waiting at our hotel until it's time to call an Uber.  Last night we met a couple of band members who are getting on to do just one show (a tribute to the 50's) on the third night.  I'm so ready for the welcome on board glass of bubbly!!!  See you at the Sunset Bar.

7 minutes ago, MartinsCruise said:

I've just caught up with your stressful adventure getting to the airport yesterday and am so happy that everything turned out ok.  We're waiting at our hotel until it's time to call an Uber.  Last night we met a couple of band members who are getting on to do just one show (a tribute to the 50's) on the third night.  I'm so ready for the welcome on board glass of bubbly!!!  See you at the Sunset Bar.

We are back from a light breakfast and walk and also waiting for boarding time! Our hotel runs a shuttle for $7 a person; looked like we might be the only ones booked for the 1PM. Tribute to the 50s sounds fun! Enjoy that bubbly and see you on board!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TravelBluebird said:

Happily sipping a delicious Cuban Cortadito (little Cortado with sweetened esspresso) from the coffee / quick breakfast booth at the hotel. Very good quick espresso here which I always appreciate (husband takes an early morning walk;  then brings me coffee, since I’m useless without that first cup!)

We are going to try Press and Grind Cafe for Acai Bowls for breakfast next!

It’s cruise morning! Definitely a Christmas morning feeling!

My wife smiled when she read that your husband brings your coffee...I have been bringing her her first cup of coffee( in bed) in the morning for 37 years...

We are at Fort Lauderdale  airport, right now, after an uneventful flight. It is too early to go to the ship, since our checkin time is at noon...and there are NO restaurants here!! I can't believe that. WE have nothing to do for another 90 minutes except stare at blank walls and grouchy airport people...BUT all is good! 🙂

See everyone soon!

• Like 2

For breakfast (after our delightful espresso coffees at the Renaissance hotel) we picked the Press and Grind Juicery & Coffee Bar. It was a bit of a walk (which we wanted) so about 1.5 miles round trip; if you stay at the hotel and don’t want to walk far for breakfast, the hotel has a la carte breakfast and there are Starbucks and Einstein’s Bagels closer.  Also continental breakfast items at the hotel espresso bar. And for any last minute items, there is a  is a Walgreens across the street (or last minute COVID tests?).

I had a really good Classic Acai  Bowl with fresh banana, blueberries, coconut flakes and granola; Russ had the Berry Blast Smoothies. Besides the bowls, smoothies, and fresh pressed juices and espresso, I saw a very nice looking avocado toast.

40B24C8F-8C38-4EFD-B207-946BAC1671E6.jpeg

4AEBBAF5-E45F-4E10-9FC3-000B002FCD2F.jpeg

EE013BA3-CD9D-4EE6-BCA6-D8E52FE7899F.jpeg

60AA8CB1-C3F4-4CFF-8AE1-5A6C759DD45C.jpeg

41E44CE6-6670-4AC1-B35D-5EBC6BF48E88.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for update on the Renaissance.  We are also staying there pre-cruise for two nights prior to our November 28 Equinox cruise.  There are few reviews and I’ve been afraid they were closed!  Glad to know about the shuttle as I haven’t seen mention of it.

Just now, Jillds10 said:

Thanks for update on the Renaissance.  We are also staying there pre-cruise for two nights prior to our November 28 Equinox cruise.  There are few reviews and I’ve been afraid they were closed!  Glad to know about the shuttle as I haven’t seen mention of it.

There are a few more people around at the hotel this morning; still very empty. you book the shuttle with the bell man; it leaves every 1/2 hour.  The staff has been wonderful; we were able to extend our late check out right until our shuttle time at 1pm.

• Like 2