Wheelchair in non-accessible cabin?

canwegonow

We will be on Horizon in mid-October. I am recovering from foot surgery, and although I can bear weight on it and walk for a short time while wearing a special shoe, I will likely still have trouble walking long distances by the time we sail.

I am considering renting a wheelchair at the port. Is it necessary for me to have an accessible cabin booked in order to take a wheelchair on board? I won't need the accessible features found in those cabins (which are in pitifully short supply, anyway), and we really want to keep the cabin we have booked. It will be no trouble to have the chair collapsed while we are in the cabin. Will we run into any difficulties with Carnival? Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Edited by canwegonow
typo

https://www.rentakneewalker.com/knee-scooter-rentals

The above would be your better bet since you could then keep the cabin you want and it'll be much cheaper and easier than the rental of a wheelchair.  First of all, it'll cost you about 200 for the week for the rental, the width of it probably will not fit through the cabin door and the rental scooters do not easily break down into pieces for storage.  Now, if you really need to rent one, then you'll have to get a HC cabin, but the rent a knee option should be your better bet.

Edited by SNJCruisers

To directly answer your question, no, you will be fine.  You can collapse the wheelchair and move it into the room (you cannot store it in the hallway).  It means you will have to maneuver around it, but there is nothing on the Carnival front that says that you cannot do that.  We cruise in a regular cabin with DH's mobility scooter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

To directly answer your question, no, you will be fine.  You can collapse the wheelchair and move it into the room (you cannot store it in the hallway).  It means you will have to maneuver around it, but there is nothing on the Carnival front that says that you cannot do that.  We cruise in a regular cabin with DH's mobility scooter.

10 hours ago, Snookie415 said:

Since you can stand & walk and the WC will fold, a regular cabin should be fine. The accessible cabins have the wider doors to allow room for non ambulatory passengers to get into the cabin. But I’d look into a knee scooter too!

Do either of you have experience with the rental wheelchairs from Scootaround? I don't believe that they will fold and collapse to make it feasible to store it in a standard cabin.

If I am wrong, I will be corrected,  but the knee walker rental will be easier as well as substantially cheaper. 

Thanks everyone. According to their website, Scootaround's wheelchairs do fold, so storage won't be difficult. And the quotes I got for the wheelchair and the knee walker were so close as to be virtually identical in cost.

Guess I have some thinking to do. Or maybe more healing, so I don't end up needing either one!!

2 hours ago, canwegonow said:

Thanks everyone. According to their website, Scootaround's wheelchairs do fold, so storage won't be difficult. And the quotes I got for the wheelchair and thHaving experie knee walker were so close as to be virtually identical in cost.

Guess I have some thinking to do. Or maybe more healing, so I don't end up needing either one!!

Having experience with both, the wheelchair will be safer in most ports.  Outside of the immediate Carnival created port area, the terrain is uneven and hazardous.  Few curbs have cuts.  Sidewalks are uneven and narrow.  You more likely to go "ass over tea kettle" using a knee roller than a wheelchair.  

• Like 1

Why don’t you go to a hospital supply store and try out a knee walker?  See how it works, maybe rent one for a few days.  Whatever you do, do t rent a transport chair, as you would always need someone to push you…some of them also fold.  EM

14 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Having experience with both, the wheelchair will be safer in most ports.  Outside of the immediate Carnival created port area, the terrain is uneven and hazardous.  Few curbs have cuts.  Sidewalks are uneven and narrow.  You more likely to go "ass over tea kettle" using a knee roller than a wheelchair.  

I'm not sure about that. Knee scooters take up much less room and easier to maneuver than a wheel chair. Especially if the person can walk a few steps here and there. Not sure how a wheel chair over a curb without a cutout or a narrow sidewalk would be better. To me, the bigger issue is strength. If you have the strength and balance. If you can pick the knee scooter up relatively easily to maneuver over obstacles, it's a good choice. If you don't, you probably wont get over those obstacles with either a knee scooter or a wheel chair so you are SOL anyway.

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I'm not sure about that. Knee scooters take up much less room and easier to maneuver than a wheel chair. Especially if the person can walk a few steps here and there. Not sure how a wheel chair over a curb without a cutout or a narrow sidewalk would be better. To me, the bigger issue is strength. If you have the strength and balance. If you can pick the knee scooter up relatively easily to maneuver over obstacles, it's a good choice. If you don't, you probably wont get over those obstacles with either a knee scooter or a wheel chair so you are SOL anyway.

Because the four wheels of a wheelchair provide more stability over uneven terrain, especially if you are looking around and not at the ground.  Wheelchairs also come with seatbelts so if you lurch forward. you aren't going fall out.  

• Like 1

I booked a accessible room for my dad and the accessible dept.  sent me a form to fill out for him. No scooter, wheelchair or cane for him, he just needs the grab bars in bathroom. She said he doesn't need the form then. I was telling the lady on phone that my husband (we are NOT  in accessible room) wants to bring a wheelchair for long distances (leg problems) and she made us fill out the form even though we are not in a accessible room. You may want to call them and talk to them about that. She said everyone who brings a scooter or wheelchair is supposed to fill the form out.

specialneeds@carnival.com/1-800-438-6744 ext. 70025

1 hour ago, lubedobedo said:

I booked a accessible room for my dad and the accessible dept.  sent me a form to fill out for him. No scooter, wheelchair or cane for him, he just needs the grab bars in bathroom. She said he doesn't need the form then. I was telling the lady on phone that my husband (we are NOT  in accessible room) wants to bring a wheelchair for long distances (leg problems) and she made us fill out the form even though we are not in a accessible room. You may want to call them and talk to them about that. She said everyone who brings a scooter or wheelchair is supposed to fill the form out.

specialneeds@carnival.com/1-800-438-6744 ext. 70025

Correct because the doors on a regular room are not wide enough for many EVCs or wheelchairs and there is more room in an accessible room to store them

8 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Because the four wheels of a wheelchair provide more stability over uneven terrain, especially if you are looking around and not at the ground.  Wheelchairs also come with seatbelts so if you lurch forward. you aren't going fall out.  

The rental wheelchairs from Scootaround are 3 wheels, and cost 200 bucks + delivery fee. And they do not fold up like others on the market. 

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

The rental wheelchairs from Scootaround are 3 wheels, and cost 200 bucks + delivery fee. And they do not fold up like others on the market. 

Are you sure you are not talking about a scooter?  I've never seen a three wheel wheelchair...EM

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Correct because the doors on a regular room are not wide enough for many EVCs or wheelchairs and there is more room in an accessible room to store them

The purpose for the form is so that Carnival can keep track of those who would require additional assistance in the case of an emergency.  Even though we don't get a handicapped room, Carnival is aware of my husband's disability and makes accommodations during muster drill (old times!) and is already aware of it prior to the cruise.

Yes, handicapped rooms have wider doorways, but there is no requirement to use a handicapped room if your equipment will fit through the door of a regular room.

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

The purpose for the form is so that Carnival can keep track of those who would require additional assistance in the case of an emergency.  Even though we don't get a handicapped room, Carnival is aware of my husband's disability and makes accommodations during muster drill (old times!) and is already aware of it prior to the cruise.

Yes, handicapped rooms have wider doorways, but there is no requirement to use a handicapped room if your equipment will fit through the door of a regular room.

The form is required for those who book an accessible statement so they will not be bumped in case someone else books who required that type of stateroom.  The form is helpful as you stated but that type of assistance can be added at Guest Services onboard.  

On 9/15/2021 at 8:33 PM, SNJCruisers said:

Do either of you have experience with the rental wheelchairs from Scootaround? I don't believe that they will fold and collapse to make it feasible to store it in a standard cabin.

If I am wrong, I will be corrected,  but the knee walker rental will be easier as well as substantially cheaper. 

No my only experience was with my daughter’s powerchair. 

16 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Are you sure you are not talking about a scooter?  I've never seen a three wheel wheelchair...EM

You're correct.  Don't know why someone would ever rent a wheelchair.   If someone is pushing you, a transport chair is lighter and easier and if not, then a scooter would be appropriate.