Bringing liquor home from Nassau

ciabelle

First time traveler to Nassau. I've heard US Customs doesn't typically ask one to declare goods or do any searches of cruisers returning to Florida ports, you just scan your passport and go one your way..  Can anyone confirm that this is the case in most instances? 

If asked to declare, how much booze can one bring in duty free? The CBP website is rather vague on that point:

"Generally, one liter of alcohol per person may be entered into United States duty-free by travelers who are 21 years or older. Although travelers coming from the U.S. Virgin Islands or other Caribbean countries are entitled to more." (Emphasis added) 

How much more? 2 liters? 5 liters? As much as you can carry? 

On a related note, Any recommendations on rums which are 1) better than average  2) a decent value, and 3) not sold in the US? Even if I could save a couple bucks on Bacardi Silver in Nassau, it isn't going to be worth the added hassle, and any savings would be more than eliminated by having to check my carry-on due to TSA restrictions. 

Just came back on the Allure with a stop in Nassau.  Did purchase a couple bottles of rum from Watlings.  Obviously, RCL saved the bottles till the last day.  When coming back into Port Canaveral, it's now an eye/face scan, so you don't even need to get your passport out. Now, if you use a birth certificate, you have to go through a seperate line and talk to someone. 

If you travel to other islands, like  Jamaica, Caymans, BVI, then you can bring back two from each island.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/20/2021 at 2:51 PM, RocCruisers said:

Just came back on the Allure with a stop in Nassau.  Did purchase a couple bottles of rum from Watlings.  Obviously, RCL saved the bottles till the last day.  When coming back into Port Canaveral, it's now an eye/face scan, so you don't even need to get your passport out. Now, if you use a birth certificate, you have to go through a seperate line and talk to someone. 

If you travel to other islands, like  Jamaica, Caymans, BVI, then you can bring back two from each island.   

Years ago when i was pregnant (not visibly), I went on a Carnival cruise.  At one of our stops I purchased a good rum to enjoy when I was able to drink again. 
I had no intention of taking it to my room.  I ended up walking right through security with it.  Didn't realize I still had it until I got to the elevator.