The Daily for Friday September 17, 2021

richwmn

8 minutes ago, bennybear said:

The jalapeños are gorgeous but no fruit just a few flowers on the black pearls,  I am seriously thinking maybe by Christmas?

Oh dear on your black pearls  😱. I still have some flowers coming on mine but there is fruit.  It just needs to get bigger 🤞 

Sounded like a great chili to get but no way does it mature at the timing the package claimed.  I doubt I will do them again next year.  It’s going to be a close call this year for my chilies.  Last year by now, I had so many that I gave some to a neighbour.  This year, I am picking them one by one 😔. But DH is so far getting a fresh chili every night.  It’s been a strange gardening year.  Garden fabulous - day lilies blooming over and over.  Cannas and callas re-blooming.  But the dahlias and chilies have not done anywhere near what they did in past years.  Weird.

• Like 16

Good morning, all! We are in the Okanagan and visiting an orchard later today, so I pick Apple Dumpling day to celebrate! The meal,sounds good, but we’re going out to a BBQ Rib place tonight. Even if cod is on the menu, it won’t be my choice. The wine sounds good. I like Semillon, and feel encouraged that the tasting notes don’t say anything related to being dragged through a gravel pit by a diesel with leaking exhaust pipes. If we still stop in Portugal next year, I'll look for it. I’ve been to San Diego several times, but any pictures are at home.

Yesterday we booked a Safari excursion for the 2023 GWV. The excursions were down after the ship change, probably due to the itinerary being changed as well. When they came back up, the popular ones disappeared like snow on a hot day. The good news is we have spots on what we wanted! Unfortunately, the poor mans computer kept crashing, and in the end our credit card was charged North of $2000 more than the cost of the excursion. After 2 1/2 hour on the phone to Seattle, we were told to send everything in to refund accounting in an email. Due to high volume, they will,be able to look at it in 7-10 business days. Sigh. But, we have spaces reserved on a completely unique excursion, which is the big thing!

Apologies for venting that on the Daily - this is not the place for that.

Meanwhile, I am on my sisters deck overlooking Lake Kalamalka. The forest fire smoke has cleared, and we’ve dodged the heavy rainfall warning at home on the coast. Life is good!

image.thumb.jpg.f7e8c603aeff531da3f4142ecadb67b9.jpg

Happy Friday, TGIF for those it still makes a difference to. Keep dreaming of those BHB’s!

2BD46406-FDE9-4D78-A630-4D2B6BAFC0EE.thumb.jpeg.53dac8f1619bf153153acca16004eb63.jpeg

• Like 21

11 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Hey, vent anytime.  We all need to do it sometimes and this is the safest place to do it.  I feel your pain.  Nothing worse than being overcharged 😔 

• Like 13

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I salute good citizens and the Constitution. Mmmm, apple dumplings.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the fish meal and drink, but the wine sound good.

I have been to San Diego on a land trip.

Lots of talk about shortages and supply chain issues due to the pandemic. Our state run liquor stores are now starting to ration! 😲 Fortunately it's a ration of 2 bottles of certain champagnes, cognac, tequila, whiskey. So I'm safe. Also a local news reporter developed an issue and was kept in the ER for 3 days due to lack of beds at one of our big hospitals (the one I use). Scary!

@rafinmd Enjoy the reunion.

@St. Louis Sal Sorry to hear about your friend's injury. 

@aliaschief Wow, that's a lot of rain. Is there flooding?

@StLouisCruisers I can empathize. I set my alarm in away mode at night, as there are no motion detectors upstairs. It is set up to beep if the phone line goes out, and it seems to happen occasionally. The trouble light will be on as well. It does wake you up quickly when it happens during the night.

@Cruising-along Glad the tests were ok. It's getting close to your departure; exciting!

@dfish I'm glad you're enjoying the cruise!

@Horizon chaser 1957 I'm jealous of the Safari excursion. That's a bucket list item for me.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

CC is giving me major grief today.

Logged in, logged out over and over.  Powered off and on, cleared cookies, checked other people’s posts.

Finally posting is back without CC trying to copy the entire thread.

Really weird.

Thinking back it was on the Bon Voyage post yesterday and today that I had problems with. When I tried to post the entire page and other post were included.

• Like 8

Good Morning!

A cool day here, I had to look for a shirt with sleeves this morning, time to put the summer warm weather things away!

Love apple dumplings...............that and the cool weather have put me in the mood for making some dumplings!  I haven't done that in years.  So after Dave brings some apples home later this a, will get to making them!

Citizen ship day is a good day to celebrate.  I was my son in laws sponsor for his citizenship 3 years ago, a lot of study went into it.

Last night Dave and I discussed committing to a spring cruise and we decided we are going to talk with our friend the TA and get it scheduled!  We have been so wishy-washy on committing to a cruise between Covid and the cancellations and the folks' needs, figure we will go ahead and plan and hope for the best.  Worse come to worse we reschedule!

Have a good day!

Denise

• Like 15

26 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Thinking back it was on the Bon Voyage post yesterday and today that I had problems with. When I tried to post the entire page and other post were included.

Well, it’s been on my roll calls, this thread and several others.  Even the help thread.  It was all fixed and after 2 posts it was back again.  Now, I’m trying to use Chrome.  The only problem is the good stuff is on safari (like my word press for the Future Cruise Listing)., etc so it’s going to be a PITA.

There has to be a better way to use it on my IPad.  I had no problem setting it up on DH’s Mac for him.  Off to do some digging

• Like 8

Interesting topics here today. I was born in the United States and have lived here all my life however I doubt I could pass the citizenship test without a whole lot of study. Our constitution is wonderful but I sometimes wonder if our elected officials have ever bothered to read it. Some of their interpretations are totally contrary to what I see when I read the constitution and contrary to what I was taught in Civics classes.

Both of the Cod recipes look very good. I wonder if they can be done in the oven instead of on a grill.  (Remember I am definitely not a cook). The wine sounds lovely also.

I absolutely love San Diego. We used to spend a long weekend there about once a quarter whenever I needed some mental rest. And speaking of rest and San Diego I just booked the 10/10/21  coastal cruise;  going solo and I can't wait to get on the Kdam.

Jane

• Like 16

58 minutes ago, kazu said:

Hey, vent anytime.  We all need to do it sometimes and this is the safest place to do it.  I feel your pain.  Nothing worse than being overcharged 😔 

Thanks. This morning we got through to the gift card department. They actually knew what had happened! The gift cards totally covered the cost for one guest, and was charged that way. The cost of the second guest was partially covered with gift cards, with the rest on DH’s VISA card. The system will not accept split tendering between gift cards and another payment method. The people in the Shore Ex department do not know this. Neither do the people in accounting. Only the Gift Card department can see Gift Card balances.

The computer automatically put the balances back on the gift cards the agent entered into the system for the second guest and charged the full amount to the VISA card. We’re fine with that, and can use the gift cards for other things. It was nice to finally know what had happened, and that we weren’t double charged.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Both of the Cod recipes look very good. I wonder if they can be done in the oven instead of on a grill.  (Remember I am definitely not a cook). The wine sounds lovely also.

You can.  For the first one - follow the instructions and bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.  I often do fish in the oven and it turns out well.

I didn’t check the 2nd recipe but I’m pretty confident it can be done in the oven too.  🤙

• Like 8

San Diego is a favorite!  We not only have sailed from there but also went to college there and lived the first few months of married life there. 

These are from our December 2016 Mexican Riviera cruise on the Westerdam. 

We walked around the port area prior to embarkation. 
371F34FD-EF84-40C7-A3DD-60C3E38AEBE3.thumb.jpeg.484b1c49983c04c310d3f111d930dc8a.jpeg

690BAF43-3DAF-454E-9EC1-5841E0954D06.thumb.jpeg.57aa015bbd5913f77a02e5affbae440c.jpeg

From our hotel room:

F7C02CE6-45F4-472D-92F4-6A99D37BACF9.thumb.jpeg.d5850ac658949652ddaad03874c61ea1.jpeg

9E3D2D72-BE4F-40B9-91CB-00496D7BBF0D.thumb.jpeg.98fbf41884859935195b1f7e13b831e6.jpeg

I have more but CC is giving me fits trying to upload from my PC. I’ll try later. 

• Like 19

Sharon @Sharon in AZI graduated from San Diego State ages ago!🤓📚

We decided in 2016 that the kids and grandchildren needed to visit the fabulous San Diego Zoo and the beaches!  

I would recommend a visit to San Diego even if you aren't cruising out of the port. 

Katie

FB_IMG_1631905561767.jpg

• Like 11

Good afternoon everyone. It's been a long day and it's only 3pm. I was up early to go to the podiatrist where I did have to get a shot to numb my foot, but he was so good I hardly felt it.Then it was off to the pharmacy, order food delivery and pay the nursing bill for Sam.

Sam is in a rehab in PA about an hour away. He's doing OK and they are saying first it was a small stroke and now a TIA. There is a difference but I guess it doesn't really matter. They expect he will be there for two weeks. Sunday is our 62nd anniversary so I'm planning to visit that day. Visiting there is complicated because only one person can be in the room at a time. Not sure what difference it makes if two of us are there and we take turns in the room but that's their covid policy.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

This exact thing happens to me all the time!  I've clearing my browsing history more times in the past week than I did in the previous year.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good pictures Lenda.  Very cool, seeing the submarine in drydock.  

One of our old houses was bought and flipped after the people who bought it from us in 1989 really trashed the house.  They lived there at least 28 years.  The flippers of course renovated and cleaned up the interior, and on the outside they removed the redwood deck and filled in the pool.  I'm sure the deck hadn't been taken care of but with a good power washing, etc. it should not have been rotted wood.  And when the people bought the house from us, someone said they were going to use the inground pool for their two dogs' bathtub.  With the way the house looked I'm sure there was little maintenance done to the lovely 1 year old pool we left for them either!  

Every once in a while when sailing out of SD we'll see a submarine in drydock or just docked.

As the house DH's family owned, it was at least 50 years old and it was in need of an upgrade.  Five years later, the owners had fenced the front yard in and stored boats, trucks and junk in the yard.  Three years ago it looked better.

Sandi, we've had moths and other bugs get in the smoke alarms and set the off at all hours.

Lenda

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! We are in the Okanagan and visiting an orchard later today, so I pick Apple Dumpling day to celebrate! The meal,sounds good, but we’re going out to a BBQ Rib place tonight. Even if cod is on the menu, it won’t be my choice. The wine sounds good. I like Semillon, and feel encouraged that the tasting notes don’t say anything related to being dragged through a gravel pit by a diesel with leaking exhaust pipes. If we still stop in Portugal next year, I'll look for it. I’ve been to San Diego several times, but any pictures are at home.

Yesterday we booked a Safari excursion for the 2023 GWV. The excursions were down after the ship change, probably due to the itinerary being changed as well. When they came back up, the popular ones disappeared like snow on a hot day. The good news is we have spots on what we wanted! Unfortunately, the poor mans computer kept crashing, and in the end our credit card was charged North of $2000 more than the cost of the excursion. After 2 1/2 hour on the phone to Seattle, we were told to send everything in to refund accounting in an email. Due to high volume, they will,be able to look at it in 7-10 business days. Sigh. But, we have spaces reserved on a completely unique excursion, which is the big thing!

Meanwhile, I am on my sisters deck overlooking Lake Kalamalka. The forest fire smoke has cleared, and we’ve dodged the heavy rainfall warning at home on the coast. Life is good!

image.thumb.jpg.f7e8c603aeff531da3f4142ecadb67b9.jpg

Happy Friday, TGIF for those it still makes a difference to. Keep dreaming of those BHB’s!

2BD46406-FDE9-4D78-A630-4D2B6BAFC0EE.thumb.jpeg.53dac8f1619bf153153acca16004eb63.jpeg

Laura this is the perfect place to vent and share one’s pain and joy! The past 18 months have tested all of us. 

• Like 10

This morning we decided to venture out in the convertiable again, even though it was predicted to be warmer.  We drove to Waco, and after driving through town for a few minutes, realized it was time to put the top up.  Our sun can be pretty inense at times.  

It had been several years since we drove by the Silos, so we headed there.  The previous time we drove by, the traffic was horendous and the line to get into the Silos was a block long or longer.  Today, you could walk right in if you wanted to, and there were people hauling stuff out of there.

@Horizon chaser 1957  Laura, like others have said, don't feel bad about venting.  That's what "family" is for.  Glad your got the gift card issue straightened out.  Enjoy your visit with your sister.  Glad you could book the excursions you wanted, especially the safari.  We did a half day safari years ago, and I would love to do a longer one.

@lazey1  Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm glad the visit to the podiatrist was not as bad as you thought it might be.  Glad Sam is finally in rehab, and hope he is home soon.  Enjoy your anniversary visit with him on Sunday.

I have enjoyed everyone's picture of San Diego.  It is always nice to see what others find to do in different ports.

On the way through town, we stopped and got our senior flu shots.

Lenda

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a sunny central Texas..

Will celebrate citizenship and constitution days, but will pass on the apple dumplings.

I like today's quote.  Even with progress and technology, simple is still possible and the best way.  Remember the KISS adage -- Keep It Simple Stupid!

We have been to San Diego many times, and DH lived there in the 1950s for a short time.  The town has really changed and grown since then.  When the DDs were little, we spent a couple of days there in our motorhome, and visited the zoo.  Since then, it has been a cruise port, a turnaround day or we embarked or disembarked.  I thought I had more pictures of the town, but they must be pre-digital.  

In 2009, we drove by the house DH lived in, and it was in the process of being flipped and enlarged.

We were able to wander through it, and they were doing a nice job.  Unfortunately, five years later, the new owners had really junked it up.

IMG_5033.thumb.JPG.dc0f90ba5e5cb539eb6cad66812e61a8.JPG

In 2016, we had a port day while on the Ruby Princess.  We walked down to the Midway and spent quite a bit of time exploring the ship.  Here are just two of the pictures, but it is worth a visit.

DSC04677.thumb.JPG.677b1c50c0d2cea55711a154eb7ef78c.JPG

DSC04686.thumb.JPG.edc419f8c9a6d927e5dd84218856cf4f.JPG

These are from our walk back to the ship.

DSC04688.thumb.JPG.3019c8c637d97744c2cdac6018177d0e.JPG

DSC04689.thumb.JPG.044e5af065b23b0f7bfc2469789e9a71.JPG

The remainder of the pictures are from various sailaways

DSC01797.thumb.JPG.50dc3d9cf713a64c16cae654fcbc4278.JPG

DSC01808.thumb.JPG.4d5d199599532aecd1550adcf640ff98.JPG

A submarine in drydock

DSC00909.thumb.JPG.b2adef02bbaa3b51676f3a5e32c4f671.JPG

Lighthouses and markers on Point Loma

DSC00913.thumb.JPG.73fcc610854a5c575f7e9245f602b794.JPG

DSC00915.thumb.JPG.7dd9ae3cb516acef36f43cfae55aa0b7.JPG

The Del Coronada Hotel, where Some Like It Hot was filmed, even though the moving was set in Florida.  It is pretty grainy as we were several miles off shore.  As we were headed to the Panama Canal, I'm not sure why we went north first.

DSC01813.thumb.JPG.649fa6405815abeb671feb45fae94b27.JPG

Lenda

Super pictures.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a sunny central Texas..

Will celebrate citizenship and constitution days, but will pass on the apple dumplings.

I like today's quote.  Even with progress and technology, simple is still possible and the best way.  Remember the KISS adage -- Keep It Simple Stupid!

We have been to San Diego many times, and DH lived there in the 1950s for a short time.  The town has really changed and grown since then.  When the DDs were little, we spent a couple of days there in our motorhome, and visited the zoo.  Since then, it has been a cruise port, a turnaround day or we embarked or disembarked.  I thought I had more pictures of the town, but they must be pre-digital.  

In 2009, we drove by the house DH lived in, and it was in the process of being flipped and enlarged.

We were able to wander through it, and they were doing a nice job.  Unfortunately, five years later, the new owners had really junked it up.

IMG_5033.thumb.JPG.dc0f90ba5e5cb539eb6cad66812e61a8.JPG

In 2016, we had a port day while on the Ruby Princess.  We walked down to the Midway and spent quite a bit of time exploring the ship.  Here are just two of the pictures, but it is worth a visit.

DSC04677.thumb.JPG.677b1c50c0d2cea55711a154eb7ef78c.JPG

DSC04686.thumb.JPG.edc419f8c9a6d927e5dd84218856cf4f.JPG

These are from our walk back to the ship.

DSC04688.thumb.JPG.3019c8c637d97744c2cdac6018177d0e.JPG

DSC04689.thumb.JPG.044e5af065b23b0f7bfc2469789e9a71.JPG

The remainder of the pictures are from various sailaways

DSC01797.thumb.JPG.50dc3d9cf713a64c16cae654fcbc4278.JPG

DSC01808.thumb.JPG.4d5d199599532aecd1550adcf640ff98.JPG

A submarine in drydock

DSC00909.thumb.JPG.b2adef02bbaa3b51676f3a5e32c4f671.JPG

Lighthouses and markers on Point Loma

DSC00913.thumb.JPG.73fcc610854a5c575f7e9245f602b794.JPG

DSC00915.thumb.JPG.7dd9ae3cb516acef36f43cfae55aa0b7.JPG

The Del Coronada Hotel, where Some Like It Hot was filmed, even though the moving was set in Florida.  It is pretty grainy as we were several miles off shore.  As we were headed to the Panama Canal, I'm not sure why we went north first.

DSC01813.thumb.JPG.649fa6405815abeb671feb45fae94b27.JPG

Lenda

Super pictures.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Every once in a while when sailing out of SD we'll see a submarine in drydock or just docked.

As the house DH's family owned, it was at least 50 years old and it was in need of an upgrade.  Five years later, the owners had fenced the front yard in and stored boats, trucks and junk in the yard.  Three years ago it looked better.

Sandi, we've had moths and other bugs get in the smoke alarms and set the off at all hours.

Lenda

OMG Lenda, the front yard used as a junk yard is horrific for the neighborhood!  I'm glad it looked better 3 years ago.

After we moved from that house in 1989 our friends in the neighborhood reported to us that one day the new owner's two dogs were found running through the neighborhood.  One kind dog lover captured them and took them back to the house where they found the front door wide open.  They couldn't get anyone there to come to the door (not home) so the police were called.  When the police went inside to check on the home, they said the place was completely a disaster.  It looked like a burglary had occurred with everything strewn all over the place.  How mortifying!  I honestly believe they were hoarders!  I remember when we closed and moved out, how particular I was with cleanliness when we left.  Even the floor under the refrigerator was spic and span!  I felt so badly for the neighbors who had to look at that trashy house and yard for 30 years. 😲

• Like 10

7 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning from a very wet and sodden Florida. If it continues to rain we may have to get out the plans and start building an ark! Per my rain gauge we have had over 14 inches of rain so far! I guess if I’m going to get my walk in I’ll have to do it in my bathing suit or wear a rain jacket!

Thanks for the Daily and all contributors.

We’ll soon will be enjoying a day visit to San Diego as it will be one of the ports of call on our upcoming Nieuw Amsterdam cruise from Seattle to Port Everglades!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Wow, 14 inches since when?   Where in Florida are you?

Here in St Petersburg, we have had about 6" this month.  Wish we could share some of it with those out west who need it.

• Like 5