QM balcony (sheltered)

Wake Watcher

8 minutes ago, Wake Watcher said:

Hi, has anyone more information on these cabins please?   We have cruised on Victoria, but not familiar with Queen Mary.   Any photos of balcony views would be helpful.   Thanks a lot!

Here is the link to a previous CC discussion.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2529354-qm2-sheltered-balconies/

Tried once, never again, like sitting in a tin can, dingy and depressing .  On can only get a good view when seated on the “balcony” by utilising the rooms cushions as a booster.  Plus the smell of smoking products will waft down the ship.

However, others find a sheltered balcony great.

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Plus the smell of smoking products will waft down the ship.

Smoking on balconies isn't allowed.

We like the sheltered balconies on the QM2 and always choose them (deck 5), and don't find them dingy or depressing. You're close to the sea with no lifeboats to obstruct your view.

2 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Smoking on balconies isn't allowed.

We like the sheltered balconies on the QM2 and always choose them (deck 5), and don't find them dingy or depressing. You're close to the sea with no lifeboats to obstruct your view.

Although smoking is not allowed, there are some who deliberately ignore this.  The unpleasant smell does drift.  A call to the desk received the question “what stateroom number”. 

Agree, no lifeboats, but there is metal (part of the ship) to obstruct when seated.  But happy you enjoy the accommodation.

I think it depends on your voyage.  We would always opt for a mid ship sheltered balcony on deck 5 on a transatlantic crossing - closer proximity to the sea and stability in all weathers. We would never choose a Britannia club balcony on QM2 due to their very poor cabin location on any voyage and other preference for us is a mid ship princess grill.

• Like 1

Have had a Deck 4 mid-ship sheltered balcony for a few days.   My first choice on QM2 is a single ocean view, but have to say I really liked the sheltered cabin.  Had absolutely no issues with it and was close proximity to everything including stairs and lifts.   If a similar situation arose of not being able to get a single, would happily book a sheltered balcony again.

We saw the 'sheltered' part on our 2017 westbound crossing - the ship encountered a tropical storm remnant, and force 11 winds [deck 7 access, the observation deck & the 'lookout' closed].

It was calm on our balcony - until you put your hand out the aperture.

As far as the smoke smell, both of the spaces where smoking is permitted [Churchill's and 'The Pig & Whistle'] are on the starboard side - perhaps the ventilation system dumps the effluent there.

We have just been offered a “free” upgrade to a sheltered balcony. We said no thanks. The outside cabins beside the sheltered balconies have extra inside space instead of balcony space. I would rather have a sofa indoors than an outdoor lounger. YMMV!
When we did our last TA in a December/January there was nobody out on their balconies!

12 minutes ago, Kristal Blade said:

We have just been offered a “free” upgrade to a sheltered balcony. We said no thanks. The outside cabins beside the sheltered balconies have extra inside space instead of balcony space. I would rather have a sofa indoors than an outdoor lounger. YMMV!
When we did our last TA in a December/January there was nobody out on their balconies!

No outside loungers with a sheltered.  Only two adjustable chairs, which when in the upright position, it is impossible to have a decent view without use of all the sofa cushions as boosters.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

2 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

I believe the cabin on the  sheltered balcony cabins and the cabin on the glass front cabins are the same size and configuration, only the balcony  is deeper on the sheltered cabins. We have sailed on both and this is my recollection but I did not actually measure. The Cunard website also indicates that they are the same size. 

Jack