Sailing with unvaccinated children ages 2-11, confused on pre-cruise testing protocols

Lane412000

We are booked to cruise on Freedom out of Miami for three days with six grandchildren (ages 2-11).  The RCCL Healthy Sail Center document indicates the children will need a PCR or Antigen test at least three days before sailing. 

• Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 3 days before boarding day. Kids’ pre-cruise test cannot be taken on boarding day, because that may affect the sample taken during the kids’ test at the terminal.

We received email from RCCL with the following wording:

• Unvaccinated children ages 2 to 11 must present a negative PCR test result taken no more than 3 days prior to sailing in order to board. (Antigen tests are not accepted.) There continues to be no testing required for guests under age 2

I am on hold with RCCL after calling earlier and not receiving any clarification if the grandchildren can board with an antigen test.  PCR testing in south Louisiana right now is taking 3-4 days for results to return.

Anyone has recently cruised with unvaccinated children ages 2-11 and can you tell me what protocol or pre-cruise testing was accepted?

TIA

No children but Follow the latest protocol. 
PCR only for kids. Thats what my pre cruise email stated this week also

maybe try to find out  most recent actual turnaround time before booking. Or book 2 appointments at different locations. Good luck

35 minutes ago, Lane412000 said:

We are booked to cruise on Freedom out of Miami for three days with six grandchildren (ages 2-11).  The RCCL Healthy Sail Center document indicates the children will need a PCR or Antigen test at least three days before sailing. 

• Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 3 days before boarding day. Kids’ pre-cruise test cannot be taken on boarding day, because that may affect the sample taken during the kids’ test at the terminal.

We received email from RCCL with the following wording:

• Unvaccinated children ages 2 to 11 must present a negative PCR test result taken no more than 3 days prior to sailing in order to board. (Antigen tests are not accepted.) There continues to be no testing required for guests under age 2

I am on hold with RCCL after calling earlier and not receiving any clarification if the grandchildren can board with an antigen test.  PCR testing in south Louisiana right now is taking 3-4 days for results to return.

Anyone has recently cruised with unvaccinated children ages 2-11 and can you tell me what protocol or pre-cruise testing was accepted?

TIA

Changed to 2 days from the original 3 days effective with sails beginning Sept. 12th (?).

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Changed to 2 days from the original 3 days effective with sails beginning Sept. 12th (?).

The 2 day rule is for vaccinated 12 and older.

The 3 day rule of pcr or antigen, which I heard rapid pcr is acceptable too, is for children 2 thru 11  then the kids also get tested at terminal before embarking and tested during the cruise if 5 nights or longer.

48 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The 2 day rule is for vaccinated 12 and older.

The 3 day rule of pcr or antigen, which I heard rapid pcr is acceptable too, is for children 2 thru 11  then the kids also get tested at terminal before embarking and tested during the cruise if 5 nights or longer.

Sorry, so confusing.

• Like 1

Looks like Royal changed its testing protocol again and will now accept Antigen test for the unvaccinated.

I don't understand the rationale of allowing unvaccinated cruisers a 3 day window of testing while only giving the vaccinated cruisers a 2 day window, but I am not complaining since this allows me to make full use of the 6 pack Abbot Antigen tests I purchased from E-Med.  Not having to do RT-PCR on my children saves me at least 330 bucks.

Edited by PCHENG

37 minutes ago, PCHENG said:

Looks like Royal changed its testing protocol again and will now accept Antigen test for the unvaccinated.

I don't understand the rationale of allowing unvaccinated cruisers a 3 day window of testing while only giving the vaccinated cruisers a 2 day window, but I am not complaining since this allows me to make full use of the 6 pack Abbot Antigen tests I purchased from E-Med.  Not having to do RT-PCR on my children saves me at least 330 bucks.

Don't use the emed tests on unvaccinated kids. Royal will not accept them. It is on royal's website.

Only vaccinated guests can use the monitored Abbott test kits that emed sells.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ughreally said:

Don't use the emed tests on unvaccinated kids. Royal will not accept them. It is on royal's website.

Only vaccinated guests can use the monitored Abbott test kits that emed sells.

Hopefully Royal will change its protocol.  It makes no sense for Royal to reject telehealth antigen test results for the unvaccinated, yet accepts in person antigen test results performed at my local pharmacies such as CVS or Walgreens, when both uses the same Abbott Antigen test kits. 

57 minutes ago, PCHENG said:

Hopefully Royal will change its protocol.  It makes no sense for Royal to reject telehealth antigen test results for the unvaccinated, yet accepts in person antigen test results performed at my local pharmacies such as CVS or Walgreens, when both uses the same Abbott Antigen test kits. 

Yeah, I agree. I don't understand the logic of why the Abbott antigen monitored at home is good enough for me but not my kids. We could all get covid, vaccinated or not. But that doesn't change what the rule is for right now and I don't want to be told I can't get on the ship.

3 hours ago, PCHENG said:

I assume the logic was because unvaccinated kids under 12 previously had to do get the pcr test 3 days prior so left time for the results to come back by day of cruise.  Remember the unvaxxed kids get tested at cruise terminal before boarding too.  While the vaxxed do not.  

Not sure if children can do the at home version, best double check their website before your cruise.