Jump to content

Another reason I would always select my cabin


kalos
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

It won't be long before the specs are programmed in and they're being built by robots.😁

Avril

I suspect a fair percentage already is Avril - like cars...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

We love to walk the promenade deck Harry, not  jogging or speedwalking, just strolling(a touch of the Flanagan and Allen's there)😉 Out favourite time is in the evenings, especially when the moon is out.

Avril

On my most recent cruise aboard Aurora, doing walking laps of the Promenade was still very popular, especially on sea days. I always try to walk in the opposite direction to the majority and that way end up exchanging greetings, which often spark conversation at a later stage elsewhere on the ship. It is very sociable.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

We love to walk the promenade deck Harry, not  jogging or speedwalking, just strolling(a touch of the Flanagan and Allen's there)😉 Out favourite time is in the evenings, especially when the moon is out.

Avril

In that case Avril Iona's sunbeds should be empty, and maybe stored away, so you would be able to saunter all the way around it's Prom deck. But will you ever switch away from Aurora?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All of this begs the question why do P&O persist in calling this deck "Promenade Deck" when it is clear that this is not the intended function (refer to the dictionary definition of promenade as a verb). Can anyone suggest an updated name that better reflects the usage that P&O intend?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

In that case Avril Iona's sunbeds should be empty, and maybe stored away, so you would be able to saunter all the way around it's Prom deck. But will you ever switch away from Aurora?

Nope.😁

At the moment P&O give us a choice of 2 ships that we're comfortable on, when they go maybe we'll give Fred or Saga a try, who knows.

Avril

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Nope.😁

At the moment P&O give us a choice of 2 ships that we're comfortable on, when they go maybe we'll give Fred or Saga a try, who knows.

Avril

Let's just hope that they don't use Covid and Iona to change the on-board experience on Aurora and Arcadia too much Avril...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, PenrithRambler said:

All of this begs the question why do P&O persist in calling this deck "Promenade Deck" when it is clear that this is not the intended function (refer to the dictionary definition of promenade as a verb). Can anyone suggest an updated name that better reflects the usage that P&O intend?

I think gradually they will stop giving decks names and just use the numbers. On Iona, deck 6 is Gala, 7 is Parade and 16 is Lido, none of which particularly make sense. Even with Lido deck, neither of the pools is called the Lido Pool and there isn't an area called the Lido...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Britboys said:

Let's just hope that they don't use Covid and Iona to change the on-board experience on Aurora and Arcadia too much Avril...

I really do hope not Andrew. In this rapid march towards dragging  the style of cruising towards the more glamourous party loving set, Aurora and Arcadia are all that P&O have left now in the more quieter laid back cruising style. We are gradually becoming superfluous dinosaurs.

Avril

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I really do hope not Andrew. In this rapid march towards dragging  the style of cruising towards the more glamourous party loving set, Aurora and Arcadia are all that P&O have left now in the more quieter laid back cruising style. We are gradually becoming superfluous dinosaurs.

Avril

I think we are at a very interesting point in P&O's continuing development Avril. It is pretty obvious that Iona and Our Vera/Arvia are something of a sea-change in style for the company. What remains to be seen is how quickly P&O/Carnival are prepared to potentially alienate a percentage of more longstanding passengers who prefer that quieter, laid-back style of cruising. At what point will they decide to throw us "superfluous dinosaurs" overboard...?  When will the 'big bosses' at Carnival Corp tell P&O that Aurora and Arcadia are not profitable enough and have to go...? I am now looking at each of my future P&O cruises as potentially being my last with them.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

On my most recent cruise aboard Aurora, doing walking laps of the Promenade was still very popular, especially on sea days. I always try to walk in the opposite direction to the majority and that way end up exchanging greetings, which often spark conversation at a later stage elsewhere on the ship. It is very sociable.

We use the prom deck to get in our daily 5 mile walk, so we tend to walk at a faster rate than most. I fully understand why you want to go against the requested traffic flow, but after we have passed you 10 times or so,  we will have run out of things to say to you, and you will be fed up with seeing us!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We use the prom deck to get in our daily 5 mile walk, so we tend to walk at a faster rate than most. I fully understand why you want to go against the requested traffic flow, but after we have passed you 10 times or so,  we will have run out of things to say to you, and you will be fed up with seeing us!

Ah, but I don't feel the need to speak every time I pass you...😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We use the prom deck to get in our daily 5 mile walk, so we tend to walk at a faster rate than most. I fully understand why you want to go against the requested traffic flow, but after we have passed you 10 times or so,  we will have run out of things to say to you, and you will be fed up with seeing us!

11.25 times round Iona's prom deck then, approx, yes I measured it 🤓

Twice is enough for me because you walk miles aboard anyways

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

11.25 times round Iona's prom deck then, approx, yes I measured it 🤓

Twice is enough for me because you walk miles aboard anyways

I have to say that Mrs W gets really "wound up" by those peoole who deliberately walk against the flow. Hopefully she will never encounter Britboys!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I have to say that Mrs W gets really "wound up" by those peoole who deliberately walk against the flow. Hopefully she will never encounter Britboys!

She could never get angry at me when I flash my sweet smile...😇😇😇

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I have to say that Mrs W gets really "wound up" by those peoole who deliberately walk against the flow. Hopefully she will never encounter Britboys!

I have the same problem in supermarkets, everyone else walks the wrong way down the aisles

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

I have to say that Mrs W gets really "wound up" by those peoole who deliberately walk against the flow. Hopefully she will never encounter Britboys!

What on earth is she going to make of all the perspex windbreaks on Iona's prom deck, or are you definitely committed not to set foot on her or Arvia?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, terrierjohn said:

What on earth is she going to make of all the perspex windbreaks on Iona's prom deck, or are you definitely committed not to set foot on her or Arvia?

There is no way that we will be stting foot on either of them !

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, davecttr said:

I do my promenade deck walk after breakfast and clockwise or anti clockwise is dependent on wind direction and where the sun is

But surely if you are doing circular laps the effect is the same?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, wowzz said:

But surely if you are doing circular laps the effect is the same?

No, I like to walk with my back to the sun and the wind, unless the howling gale is from direct ahead there should be a less windy side of the ship so you walk forward on that side, or not, it can get complicated. 😵

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally we love all the cruise ships small, medium and large.

As we always have a balcony cabin the bigger ships are great because there are lots of balcony cabins at realistic prices.

We currently have bookings on Azura,Iona,Anthem X2 and Oasis of the seas.

Graham.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always select my own cabin as well as location is very important to me. I was really looking forward to my upcoming cruise on Ventura where I managed to secure one of the much sought after stern balcony cabins. Unfortunately, I received an email from P&O this morning which said…

 

Due to our framework of protocols to protect the health and wellbeing of all crew and guests we are currently operating at a reduced guest capacity and we need to take an approved number of cabins out of service.”

 

Yes you guessed, mine was one of those cabins 😭 Oh well… first world problems.

I hope they give me the option of a refund if the allocated new cabin isn’t acceptable to me.

Les.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

I always select my own cabin as well as location is very important to me. I was really looking forward to my upcoming cruise on Ventura where I managed to secure one of the much sought after stern balcony cabins. Unfortunately, I received an email from P&O this morning which said…

 

Due to our framework of protocols to protect the health and wellbeing of all crew and guests we are currently operating at a reduced guest capacity and we need to take an approved number of cabins out of service.”

 

Yes you guessed, mine was one of those cabins 😭 Oh well… first world problems.

I hope they give me the option of a refund if the allocated new cabin isn’t acceptable to me.

Les.

I wondered if that's what they were doing.  We're booked to go on Ventura in December and again in February.  I was thinking of upgrading to an aft balcony, having had one on Azura on a TA.  A few months ago, lots of availability, but when I re-checked a couple of weeks ago, all gone.  Yet lots of availability along the sides.  At least it means if we do decide to upgrade we can remain on an early saver fare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2021
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Free Charter Air & Hotels on Antarctica Cruises
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...