Did we make a mistake?

We are usually Carnival people but I booked a Alaskan cruise on the Ovation of the seas for June 2022.

It was half the price of Carnival and only sailed one ship on RC (Enchantment of the Seas)

I have been reading vlogs, watching videos on Youtube and reading messages on Facebook groups stating that the MDR/Windjammer food is horrible.

Has anyone sailed on this ship and if so, can you give me your opinions on the food options.

We are very excited to finally do an Alaskan cruise on RC.

Also, any newbie info you can share on this ship.

Thanks!

Edited by PC Cruisin

I would say the RCCL is a much better experience over Carnival.  While Carnival is referred to the "party" atmosphere, I think RCCL is a step above Carnival.  Just my opinion of course, there are folks who love Carnival - just not for me, I prefer RCCL and Celebrity.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, PC Cruisin said:

We are usually Carnival people but I booked a Alaskan cruise on the Ovation of the seas for June 2022.

It was half the price of Carnival and only sailed on ship on RC (Enchantment of the Seas)

I have been reading vlogs, watching videos on Youtube and reading messages on Facebook groups stating that the MDR/Windjammer food is horrible.

Has anyone sailed on this ship and if so, can you give me your opinions on the food options.

Thanks!

I just got off the ship this past Friday and it was the best cruise Ive ever taken by far.  I have 5 with RC and three with Carnival.  Now keep in mind, less than 50% capacity (which you wont likely have) swayed my opinion greatly BUT everything I ate in the Windjammer for breakfast was excellent.  I went to the MDR for dinner only once and it was fine.  I had the UDP and I would greatly suggest that, if you are a true foodie.  It was worth every penny but if you like Carnivals included food, Royals food will suffice fine.  Sorrentos pizza is now much better than I remember in the past and there is the doghouse, Cafe Two70 and Solarium bistro, all of which are included as well.    Ovation is an AMAZING ship and Alaska is an AMAZING cruise!     Im trying to work on a review but work and life at home keeps getting in the way

Edited by ryano
  • Like 3

I've sailed Ovation 3 times to Alaska, Hawaii and New Zealand.  The food is not horrible.  

Food preferences are personal and tastes vary.  Some may like a particular line for one favored entree or another but bad reviews are just that - bad.  

I just sailed Mardi Gras so I'm not saying this based on sort of loyalty to Royal.

Guys Burgers are better and free compared to the burger options on Ovation.  No disputing that.

Blue Iguana is okay but not something I'd declare as best in the industry.

Beyond that the options in the MDR and buffet are more similar than different between the two lines.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 4

Anyone that says the food is horrible on any cruise line should not be taken seriously. Disregard that review and read the more balanced ones . Im sure you will be fine with RC food. I Have no issues with their food in the past on any ship i have sailed.

• Like 3

I never listen to people when they make a broad statement like this about the food.  First off, food is always subjective.  Second, each ship is unique.  Even in their specialty restaurants among their own ships.  I've had great experiences in MDR and specialty restaurants, I've had bad experiences in MDR and specialty restaurants across different ships in the same line.  

Generally, I like both Carnival and Royal Caribbean and I find their product to be similar.  They market to the mainstream.  The difference i notice is that Carnival has better cruise directors overall.  They do a better job shaking the passengers up and connecting them and the result is a more livelier party atmosphere.  Its just fun.  Royal Caribbean depends on their innovation to provide the cruise experience.  As a result, Royal Caribbean is a little more sedate, but has more of an amusement park feel to it.  Passengers don't connect with one another as well as they do on Carnival, but there's always something innovative to do.  I believe Ovation has an escape room, it has bumper cars, maybe a trapeze lesson (there was one on Anthem and Ovation has the same setup). 

Did you make a mistake?  No.  I don't think you could make a mistake if you book any of the major cruise lines.  When you go, just keep an open mind and stop comparing it to what you know and just enjoy what Royal Caribbean has to offer.

• Like 5

I have only done 9 or 10 Carnival cruises, but only 1 in the last 5 years.  I always choose Royal over Carnival.  I think the food is better on Royal.  I am Diamond plus and I have lost count on Royal cruises.  

I have on a few occasions gotten a meal I did not like.  The waiters instantly notice you are not eating.  They have always asked me if I would like another choice.  On a few occasions I have said yes.  Other times it was just to full from the previous courses.  LOL.

I have cruised other lines too.  I did think Princess and Oceania had slightly better food overall but you get a good package at Royal.  The entertainment was much better on Royal.

I have also cruised Norwegian and I have only eaten at the pay or Haven restaurants and most of the food was about the same as Royal.  

I think you will be very happy with RCL.  The whole vacation is wonderful.  The food is good.  Speak up if you don't like a meal and they will bring you another choice.  Or order 2 dinners and eat them both.

I did actually have a cruise over 15 years ago where I walked around the ship hungry.  The food was so bad.  I kept trying to find edible food.  Shocking at how bad it was.  It was on the Carnival Destiny.  NO other cruise has ever come close. 

Edited by dasi11
  • Like 1

Royal is a luxury liner when compared to Carnival. The food in the buffet on Royal is like Golden Corral(Is Golden Corral luxury?) while the food on Carnival is like Cici's. Not just my opinion, but a well known fact. (In our household)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

The Food in the MDR was on par with the other lines I sail on Celebrity and Princess.  My only complaint is that the hamburgers which I like for lunch were terrible.  They were soggy and had more filler than meat. They weren't any better coming off of the BBQ at Labadee.  We only tried the buffet once for breakfast or to pick up some cheese to bring back to the room. Breakfast was better in the MDR than at the picked over buffet. Too much walking around and the line for the omelet station took too long.  This was the first time in 30 yrs that we have used the MDR for breakfast all week. 

• Like 1

I have been on multiple Royal Caribbean cruises of various classes of ships and 2 Carnival. Granted the carnival was the Sunshine out of Charleston so not one of their best by any means - we only chose it for convenience and to see if we would have a good option to cruise close to home. We much prefer Royal Caribbean all around - the food, atmosphere and crew.  My son (18 at the time) went on one of those cruises and was not impressed with the food & he'll eat anything, lol. I might be willing to give carnival another try on a newer, larger ship, but I'm not sure I can get the rest of the family back on carnival.

• Like 1

@PC Cruisin,we would never book or not book a cruise, cruise line, ship, cabin or itinerary based on someone's negative or positive opinions/experiences. Same when it comes to food likes, dislikes or opinions. Way to subjective. When you get back from your cruise then you can answer your own question. Enjoy your planning for your Alaskan cruise. 

• Like 1

Oddly enough I've seen several threads over on the carnival forum complaining about the buffet and over here tree skier said if anything he thinks its improved with lower capacity quality and freshness of food on rcl was better not worse.

I got off vista last sat but didnt eat hardly anything from the buffet, but it is slimmer. Never heard of anyone starving on a cruise who couldnt find something to eat. Who would pick a cruise based on some blogger who didnt like the buffet when there is so much other food. Havent been back on rcl to compare post covid, but seems like a odd yardstick to me. If you dont like the buffet eat pizza or at the cafe or deli on carnival. Lots of food choices.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PC Cruisin said:

It was half the price of Carnival and only sailed one ship on RC (Enchantment of the Seas)

Thanks!

I think Carnival has better comfort foods, especially at lunch time like the deli/grill in their buffets.  

The two lines have some differences but the food is fine on both.

• Like 1

We've sailed the big 3 (NCL, CCL, and Royal) and have found them more alike than different. We really liked our experience on Royal and can't wait to sail with them again. For us it's the price that matters and if we found a cruise on Royal that was half of what Carnival was asking we'd jump on it and if the price were close, with Royal being a little more than Carnival, we would very likely book Royal. We read reviews regarding all three lines as to how "horrible" the food is, but we've never been hungry and have always been able to find something to our liking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Oddly enough I've seen several threads over on the carnival forum complaining about the buffet and over here tree skier said if anything he thinks its improved with lower capacity quality and freshness of food on rcl was better not worse.

I got off vista last sat but didnt eat hardly anything from the buffet, but it is slimmer. Never heard of anyone starving on a cruise who couldnt find something to eat. Who would pick a cruise based on some blogger who didnt like the buffet when there is so much other food. Havent been back on rcl to compare post covid, but seems like a odd yardstick to me. If you dont like the buffet eat pizza or at the cafe or deli on carnival. Lots of food choices.

That's the way we look at it.

Haven't been on the Ovation but been on enough Royal and Carnival cruises to know there is good food and bad food between the both of them.........but ALWAYS something I can find that I like on any of their ships we've been on.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

My only complaint is that the hamburgers which I like for lunch were terrible.  They were soggy and had more filler than meat. They weren't any better coming off of the BBQ at Labadee.  

In my opinion, best burger goes to Princess Salty Dog pub.  And i'm talking about complimentary ones.  They cook it to order.  But Guy's is a good close second.  I gave it to guys until I sailed on Princess in 2019.  

• Like 1

I've only been on one Carnival cruise and only based on my one experience, although there are more similarities between the two than not, I enjoy RC more, and truthfully, unless we receive another deal like the one we got for that cruise, I probably would not go on Carnival again. [In my review of the cruise (see signature), I believe I wrote a comparison between RC and Carnival.]

As far as the buffet is specifically concerned, if I remember correctly, I would probably rate them about the same - however we usually only ate the buffet during lunch and usually the MDR for dinner.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

tree skier said if anything he thinks its improved with lower capacity quality and freshness of food on rcl was better not worse.

Was on Harmony out of Barcelona last week and definitely agree with Tree_skier

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PC Cruisin said:

Thanks!

I am sure you will be very happy with all the food choices at the MDR and WJ and other restaurants onboard.    I have sailed a couple different cruise lines over the years and haven't sailed anything but Royal for the last 10 years as we always enjoy the food and the nice menu selections at all their restaurants or the buffet.