Booster jabs

fizzy1

46 minutes ago, canderson said:

@nocl

True enough, but I think what's being described here is what's happening in actual practice, not in EUA theory.  As was the case with the original vaccinations, States seem to be coming up with their own schedule for 'boosters' for their own list of defined vulnerable groups, and as before, I expect those for 'boosters' will shift around a lot with time irrespective of other guidance.  Colorado's age cut-off for otherwise healthy individuals for the original shots was a bit of a moving target in the beginning!  I recall it being that way elsewhere as well.

What I find odd is that Moderna is being supplied without any specific guidance from Moderna with regard to dosage - not even a hint regarding their findings as far as I've heard.  I don't know if Colorado outlets are giving full or half doses, or if there's any consistency in dosing to begin with.  As noted above, it's something I'll be looking into when I get some time.  Have a pretty full plate at the moment, it's going to take some research just to discover this for Colorado (much less other States and how they're handling it!), and don't have an immediate personal need to find out.

If anyone who gets a Moderna booster would inquire as to dosage, it would be interesting to know what you got, though we're so generic on the topic here that I would expect this thread to be bounced off the Celebrity thread list and moved somewhere else pretty soon anyway... so speak up quickly! 😄

Here’s an article that supports what you’re saying about the early rollout of the Moderna booster in Colorado.

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2021/09/15/colorado-covid-booster-shot-pfizer-moderna-faq-what-to-know/8319178002/

1 hour ago, canderson said:

@nocl

True enough, but I think what's being described here is what's happening in actual practice, not in EUA theory.  As was the case with the original vaccinations, States seem to be coming up with their own schedule for 'boosters' for their own list of defined vulnerable groups, and as before, I expect those for 'boosters' will shift around a lot with time irrespective of other guidance.  Colorado's age cut-off for otherwise healthy individuals for the original shots was a bit of a moving target in the beginning!  I recall it being that way elsewhere as well.

What I find odd is that Moderna is being supplied without any specific guidance from Moderna with regard to dosage - not even a hint regarding their findings as far as I've heard.  I don't know if Colorado outlets are giving full or half doses, or if there's any consistency in dosing to begin with.  As noted above, it's something I'll be looking into when I get some time.  Have a pretty full plate at the moment, it's going to take some research just to discover this for Colorado (much less other States and how they're handling it!), and don't have an immediate personal need to find out.

If anyone who gets a Moderna booster would inquire as to dosage, it would be interesting to know what you got, though we're so generic on the topic here that I would expect this thread to be bounced off the Celebrity thread list and moved somewhere else pretty soon anyway... so speak up quickly! 😄

Any boosters given outside of FDA approval or EUA, basically product label, would be considered to be off label use, which place substantially more risk for who ever administers it in terms of malpractice in case of any problems.

Also unlike most cases the vaccine product is purchased under contract of the federal government. Technically they control use and distribution. Off label use may result in that organization being removed from distribution 

Vaccinations made that are off label may run into problems of reimbursement, from insurance companies, and especially government  based programs.

Unlike state health care management, drug approval and labeling rests strictly with the federal government. Unlikely stated will deviate from the product label. Individual physicians can make the decision to administer an approved product as individuals. but in doing so they bear the potential malpractice risks as well as the potential loss of reimbursement.

22 hours ago, TeeRick said:
22 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

They covered ours! 

Good to know.  We are waiting for official approval  by FDA or NY state, and the  rec dosage...hopefully all will fall into place before we cruise.

10 hours ago, hcat said:

Approved in Fla?  Where did you go? 

Our original shots were at a hosp vaccination clinic in Desoto County..no longer operating. Hope to be back in Fl soon..hope to get the booster & hope Medicare will cover,

We went to Publix in Citrus County. We booked on line. There were a lot of appointments available.

Edited by sunonfire

On 9/21/2021 at 11:25 AM, fizzy1 said:

Will be interesting to see what rules and regs will be introduced once COVID vaccine boosters start up . In the uk they begin this week . It appears that a different brand from your original 2 doses will  be given as it offers greater immunity.  For us that would be 2 proper dosses AZ followed by a booster of Pfizer . Hopefully this won’t be classed as mixed doses as the original jabs were same brand 

My wife and I both had the double doses of Pfizer, but we are going to wait a bit on the boosters.  We had no serious reaction to the doses, but we know some people that have had serious issues with vaccines.  

We will likely decide before next March, when we have a tour of Israel and Jordan.

17 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

When we passed through Germany on our way to Greece we were told our 2nd vaccination could be no older than six months.   There are loads of immunocompromised individuals on the cruise critic board and they have received their boosters.

Who told you 2nd vaccination could be no older than 6 months? We are flying from US to Greece via Frankfort connection and can not find anything about 6 months. Would you please point us to that regulation?

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

My wife and I both had the double doses of Pfizer, but we are going to wait a bit on the boosters.  We had no serious reaction to the doses, but we know some people that have had serious issues with vaccines.  

We will likely decide before next March, when we have a tour of Israel and Jordan.

If they mandate boosters then we will definitely cancel. I had heart issues after the 2nd Pfizer dose and will not risk it again.  Love to cruise but not at the expense of serious heart problems.  

Edited by cwayne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cwayne said:

I had heart issues after the 2nd Pfizer dose and will not risk it again.

Sorry to hear this.... were you able to document it so others may figure out what caused that reaction?

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here’s an article that supports what you’re saying about the early rollout of the Moderna booster in Colorado.

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2021/09/15/colorado-covid-booster-shot-pfizer-moderna-faq-what-to-know/8319178002/

Yes.  This bit confirms what I've been hearing 'on the street".  And again, they're creating their own groups and schedules for the rollout (e.g., all of the group "1A and 1B.1 vaccine phases" business again).

36 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

Sorry to hear this.... were you able to document it so others may figure out what caused that reaction?

Yes. It went on for weeks.  Times of heart racing, fluttering and at times pounding with bouts of extreme fatigue.  Scary to say the least. 

On 9/22/2021 at 9:42 AM, Kristal Blade said:

I have been called for my booster because I participated in the J&J trial. I know I got live vaccine, not placebo. I think my booster is going to be Pfizer, but they may advise me differently when I go along on Sunday. 
Looking forward to being even more Covid resistant!

If I might just clarify this so as to not have a confusion- you got the actual vaccine as opposed to the placebo  but NOT a live virus. J and J does not contain any live virus. 

3 hours ago, 5waldos said:

If I might just clarify this so as to not have a confusion- you got the actual vaccine as opposed to the placebo  but NOT a live virus. J and J does not contain any live virus. 

Yes, I got actual vaccine. Sorry for confusion, I was trying to simplify, not confuse!

5 hours ago, floridafolks said:

Who told you 2nd vaccination could be no older than 6 months? We are flying from US to Greece via Frankfort connection and can not find anything about 6 months. Would you please point us to that regulation?

When we traveled through Germany in early July, the six month rule was in place, however, we didn’t need a COVID test.   Now you need the COVID test even with the vaccine.

7 hours ago, 5waldos said:

hahahaha, are any viruses living? if so, at what point of modification do they no longer become living viruses?

If you said no living coronavirus it would definitely be accurate.

Edited by UnorigionalName

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Got ours today as well at CVS near Montgomery. Yay! 😎

I am getting mine next Saturday. DH however had Moderna so has to wait. We have no health issues but want to enjoy our ski season this year. Tourists everywhere today doing their leaf peeping.

• Like 1

I had my Moderna booster, when they first allowed it. I had a reaction, just like I did for #two.

I understand that now only the Pfizer folks can get the booster.

We'll wait patiently for them to allow the Moderna booster for DH to get his third jab.