Changing sign and sail funding

rebric

If you are using a debit card be sure to check the "hold" restrictions for amount of hold and the length of time before drops off.  Many people have been caught short after the cruise because the funds hold didn't drop off right away.  Just a thought...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You can even combine them easily - I went to guest services and had them charge a couple hundred bucks to my 'slush fund' card.  They called it 'transferring' that amount to that card, and they left the original card to charge whatever the balance ended up being on the end.  

Fwiw, I agree with the post reminding you to watch out for debit card holds.  For reasons that I don't understand, authorizations sometimes 'stack' on debit cards when they wouldn't on credit cards.  Like, if you have a $100 hold to start, $700 a few days in, $1500 a few days later, and $2000 at the end - I've experienced the really infuriating outcome of having $4300 'held' on my debit card, even after the final charge finalizes!  Somehow that's never happened on my credit cards, where I wouldn't even care if the authorizations stacked!  Don't really understand why, but between that, fraud protection, and rewards, I don't use my debit card for anything.  

Debit card holds can be an issue. The last time I used one I made sure that we had more than enough on it for the final charges. We disembarked and stopped up the highway to get some gas. I tried to get money out of the ATM but, ooops, no money in the account. The cruise line had pre-authorized the onboard balance the night before disembarkation and then put through the final charges the next morning. I was envisioning feeding the kids Slim Jims and potato chips all the way home (Miami to Vermont) but by the next time we stopped for gas the pre-auth had dropped off and we had cash again. That was the last time that I used a debit card.

1 minute ago, 1025cruise said:

I believe Carnival has stopped accepting debit cards for the time being.

Since when? We used ours on our Vista cruise in late August with NO issues at all. 

A few weeks ago I was on the Breeze. They charged my credit card every $100 I spent. It was even being charged before all my OBC/Cruise Cash was used. I'm assuming they were keeping some credit back for gratuities that came later in the week. I typically check my account once or twice a day, and I can never get a full understanding of their reasoning.

The OBC credit doesn't load on your account as a negative balance.  They only credit your account once you charge the account.  There probably is a delay between the charges and the OBC which triggered the hold on your credit card.