The Daily for Friday September 24, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Cherries Jubilee Day, Native American Day, and Save the Koala Day

"For the happiest life, days should be rigorously planned, nights left open to chance. - Mignon McLaughlin"

Meal suggestion for today - Chicken Parmesan

Drink of the Day - Macuá

Wine of the day - Joseph Drouhin Vosne Romanee - France - Red

Destination of the Day - Santa Barbara California US

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Seattle

Piraeus, Athens, Greece
Eurodam 00:00 - 17:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Noordam Destination Long Beach eta today
Westerdam Destination Ensenada MX eta 9/26
Zuiderdam Destination Ensenada eta today

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage
Rotterdam Anchorage

0924NAmerica.thumb.png.a546fbd603b61ba5aec0042cf3eb0cb0.png

0924Europe.thumb.png.0776a6902115103cf6393ff46145a99d.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  Cherries Jubilee would be nice, I remember when they used to flame that at your table in the MDR, too bad they don't do that anymore.  We should honour Native Americans, and all indigenous people.  Save the koalas, they are so cute.

Love the quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds good.  Hope the drink and wine are good too.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  Koalas are definitely worth saving and I love Cherries Jubilee.  Native Americans are definitely worth more than one day.  The quote sounds a bit strange.  Been to Santa Barbara just once on the Crystal Symphony.   Chicken Parmesan sounds just wonderful.  I haven't actually been on a BHB September 24, but my alternate menu suggestion is Pot Rpast Vegetable Cassarole and Meringue Berry Tart as served on MS Oosterdam at the Mariner Brunch September 29, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/brunch.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer but responding VERY well
StLouisSal’s friend
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
Sam in rehab an hour away from home but doing well
From the rotation:
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Bon Voyage Cruising-along
HAL4NOWat sea
Welcome home Overhead Fred
NextOne helping with family move
One day for Jajmd
Great result for Grapau27 cataract surgery
Icand9223 away on river cruise
Booster for Quartzite Cruiser
Welcome home SusieKIslandGirl
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Off for my walk

• Like 31
  • Thanks 8

Good Friday morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  I love cherries jubilee.  Cheers to Native Americans and Koalas whom I didn’t know were endangered.  Fun quote today.  Chicken parm sounds delicious, I’m hungry just thinking about it.  I haven’t been to Santa Barbara and can’t wait to see the photos.  Prayers for all those in need of them and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today.  

• Like 22

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be a cool day here in Northeast Ohio, but we should get sunshine, an improvement over yesterday's gray skies.  

Carolyn, @Cruising-along, asked me to say hi for her.  She has tried to post to CC from Athens, Greece, but hasn't been able to do so.  Perhaps from on the ship.   Anyways, I wish my friend a wonderful cruise.  

Today is a pool day.  It is so good to be back.  

Today's meal is a real pleaser.   I like chicken parm and love eggplant parm.   You can reduce the carbs by substituting for the pasta with the zucchini swirls.  They have butternut squash ones as well and I like those a lot.  

Here's a traditional recipe with some ideas on how to cut the calories (bake the chicken instead of frying).  

https://natashaskitchen.com/chicken-parmesan-recipe/Chicken-Parmesan-Recipe-4.thumb.jpg.36e72b82067e0a5bbfa1a8242112a7b1.jpg

And, we have Bobby Flay's five star recipe here:   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/chicken-parmigiana-recipe-1952359

7076517_ChickenParmesan.jpeg.95120327833c3b58d84bd637c8ca4483.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10

Thank you Rich for today's daily and Roy for the care list's, celebrations and shout outs and also for kindly mentioning myself.

It is 12.30pm 66°F and sunny here.

A great selection of days.

I love cherries and currently eating a cherry 🍒 yogurt now.

I have watched many western movies when I was younger and have a lot of respect for the native Americans.

Koalas are cute and need to be protected and many were lost or badly injured in Australia's wildfires.

Excellent quote today.

Nice food and drink choice.

Today's port is unknown to us so looking forward to seeing photos.

Prayers 🙏 to everyone on the care list.

Take care everyone.

Graham.

IMG_20210924_121249.jpg

Screenshot_20210924_121927.jpg

Screenshot_20210924_121833.jpg

• Like 27

Good morning all!  The sky is crystal clear here and we are looking forward to a stretch of beautiful early fall weather here...thankfully, timed perfectly for the weekend!

Not a fan of cherries but my husband would never turn down a lovely jubilee.  As Roy said, we should celebrate Native Americans more than just a day.  Love the precious koala...I hope that their habitat in Australia is recovering from the terrible fires that were there a year or so ago.

Today's meal of chicken parm is a favorite in this household...we're doing takeout tonight, but now I have a dish to look for on the menu before ordering.  Will be curious to hear about today's drink.

Santa Barbara was a port we experienced while sailing on Eurodam in October 2019, our last "pre-COVID" cruise.  Such a beautiful area, though we opted to take an excursion that brought us up into the Santa Ynez valley to visit a couple of wineries and then time to explore the wonderful Danish village of Solvang.

Kalyra Winery was one we visited...the roots of their process are in Australia, which is a region I love for wines.  The tasting went so well I joined their 'Wine Thieves' club and now get 3 shipments a year.  A tornado had seriously damaged their tasting room earlier in the year so they had us all set up on the lawn overlooking the winery...it was a spectacular day and an enjoyable visit:

image.thumb.png.bf9cfc0d6a25cf9b18b8f371b52fcc95.png

Once dropped off in Solvang, we had about 2-3 hours to explore the village - the architecture was so special, and many of the shops with lots of unique goods.  We couldn't resist having some lunch at a nice little cafe and tasting the traditional "Aebleskiver", little puffy pancakes filled with fruit or jam...they were outstanding!

image.png.31da59ebcf007a2cae9e4887a8b1484f.png

image.png.b617e941cc33e73fa576b8c2f50cec61.png

It was a beautiful sail away that afternoon from our aft balcony...

image.thumb.png.2ac4f08c10a4ab4d81a4503b4a01f5b9.png

I do hope we can return again someday to explore that area some more.

Sending good thoughts to all for a happy Friday - Hope you all have a wonderful day today!

image.png

Edited by msmayor
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Happy Friday Dailyite family! Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I will happily give my cherries away to anyone who likes them, but I will celebrate Native Americans and Koalas!

Thank you for our lists, Roy. Hope you caught the sunrise. It was cool enough here this morning for me to need a long sleeved shirt at 6:40 a.m. Hope Fall stays around for good. It felt so lovely. 

Mani-pedi, PT, Bindi walks and dinner at a friend’s who just moved into a new place.  Excited to see it. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Joseph Drouhin Vosne Romanee

Pricey, but perhaps the excellent reviews will entice you to splurge.It does sound lovely.  I found a few online distributors with prices starting at $74.00. 

JM93 Jasper Morris: Including declassified 1er Cru Les Chaumes, with 20% whole bunch vinification. Bright mid purple with an extremely concentrated vivid fruit, this is very striking, with an additional kick on the second half of the palate, a touch of strawberry, but especially raspberry, and good acidity behind. Bravo.  Barrel Sample: 91-93

JS93 James Suckling: Fragrant nose of black raspberries and summer flowers with a delicate hint of oak. Suave and sophisticated, this is light on its feet, like a tiny dancer, but held aloft by a very solid support of fine tannins. Drink or hold.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all. Just an FYI that bill and maryanne are sailing this Saturday to Alaska. @WCBhas started a thread. The posts are always very descriptive. This is the first thread since they got off the world cruise.

we are chilly this morning but will have sunshine today after two days of rain and before more rain tomorrow. 

@dfishi made the crustless caprese quiche for my Wednesday ladies group and it was a huge hit. Two vegetarians, one celiac, one keto and all enjoyed it.

prayers to all who need them and will raise a glass to the celebration list at Happy Hour this afternoon!

• Like 26

6 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Good morning all!  The sky is crystal clear here and we are looking forward to a stretch of beautiful early fall weather here...thankfully, timed perfectly for the weekend!

Not a fan of cherries but my husband would never turn down a lovely jubilee.  As Roy said, we should celebrate Native Americans more than just a day.  Love the precious koala...I hope that their habitat in Australia is recovering from the terrible fires that were there a year or so ago.

Today's meal of chicken parm is a favorite in this household...we're doing takeout tonight, but now I have a dish to look for on the menu before ordering.  Will be curious to hear about today's drink.

Santa Barbara was a port we experienced while sailing on Eurodam in October 2019, our last "pre-COVID" cruise.  Such a beautiful area, though we opted to take an excursion that brought us up into the Santa Ynez valley to visit a couple of wineries and then time to explore the wonderful Danish village of Solvang.

Kalyra Winery was one we visited...the roots of their process are in Australia, which is a region I love for wines.  The tasting went so well I joined their 'Wine Thieves' club and now get 3 shipments a year.  A tornado had seriously damaged their tasting room earlier in the year so they had us all set up on the lawn overlooking the winery...it was a spectacular day and an enjoyable visit:

image.thumb.png.bf9cfc0d6a25cf9b18b8f371b52fcc95.png

Once dropped off in Solvang, we had about 2-3 hours to explore the village - the architecture was so special, and many of the shops with lots of unique goods.  We couldn't resist having some lunch at a nice little cafe and tasting the traditional "Aebleskiver", little puffy pancakes filled with fruit or jam...they were outstanding!

image.png.31da59ebcf007a2cae9e4887a8b1484f.png

image.png.b617e941cc33e73fa576b8c2f50cec61.png

It was a beautiful sail away that afternoon from our aft balcony...

image.thumb.png.2ac4f08c10a4ab4d81a4503b4a01f5b9.png

I do hope we can return again someday to explore that area some more.

Sending good thoughts to all for a happy Friday - Hope you all have a wonderful day today!

image.png

Nice photos including of yourself.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 14

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion is one of my favorites.  It’s also a meal that I use to see if a restaurant is reasonably priced.  @dfish cherries jubilee is a great dessert you should give it a try.  Today promises to be a very wet one, tomorrow too.

Tucker and Jasper turned 10 this week.  Where did the time go?

image.png.28294461b0743242639044cb31af2da5.png

• Like 30

5 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Hmmm...the pictures are a bit out of order as that final one should have been positioned as the second...I can't seem to fix it.  Oh well...

I see it as the second and final. Lovely pictures.

• Like 13

TGIF  Love all the days today.  The meal is one of our favorites.  We've been to today's port, but not on a BHB.  Last year we took the Eurodam from FLL and then spent 10 days going up the coast from San Diego to San Francisco and back to San Diego.  Spent the night in Santa Barbara but only saw the ocean.  I don't like today's quote.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and continue to wear your mask.

Macua:

The Macuá is a cocktail made with white rum and fruit juices, usually lemon and guava juice. The Macuá is noted as the national drink of Nicaragua. The drink is named after pajaro macuá, a tropical bird native to the country. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Rum
Ingredients: 1 part Lemon juice, 2 parts Guava juice, 2 parts White rum (preferably Flor de Caña), Sugar to taste
Preparation: Blend the ingredients with 1 cup of ice and serve well chilled. Garnish with an orange slice.
Served: On the rocks
Standard garnish: Lemon slice
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 8.01.28 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Odd coincidence, but we had cherries jubilee for dessert last night at a restaurant.  🔮  🍒

Wish I'd had chicken parm, too.  That's a favorite.  Thanks Debbie @dfishfor all the yummy recipes for these good things.

Koalas are favorites to visit here at our San Diego Zoo.  They have a nice habitat for them there. I've never heard of the Macua cocktail, so that will be something to learn about.  I've been to Santa Barbara many times, but am still disappointed that it has been removed from California coast itineraries.  ☹️

It's great to see the long celebration list and shorter care list.  Roy@rafinmd, thanks once again for our lists.  I hope you had a nice autumn day walk.  

Thanks @richwmn and all other contributors here at the Daily.  Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Maxine

Edit to add that I see @summer slopeposted about the drink of the day just as I was typing.  Yum.  Looks good.  But I'm with you there on the quote, summer...I don't like it either!

Edited by AncientWanderer
  • Like 25

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

I love cherries jubilee. Native Americans should be celebrated often. Koalas are cute and need protection.

My daughter makes a delicious chicken parmesan. @dfishthank you for the alternatives to pasta.

Shrimp fried rice is on the menu for tonight.

A run to Home Depot followed by some trim painting and shower building is on the agenda. I keep telling DH, slow and steady and one day next spring we'll wake up to a completely renovated house.  Yesterday he said we spend more time taking breaks than working. I told him that will change but that's how it has to be for now.

Wishing everyone a fabulous Friday.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 27

Good Morning: Thanks for the daily and the lists.

I love chrreis. It's been a while since I've had cherries jubilee. It's a great desert.

Chicken Parm is great as an entree with pasta or on a ssandwich with fresh crusty bread.

Native Americans have had the short end of the stick for five hundred years and are still not treated equally today.

Koalas are in serious trouble. Huge numbers of them have perished in recent years.

I've been to Santa Barbara but not by ship.It's a beautiful area.

Another warm day here. The pool is calling.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 20

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our TGIF smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  Koalas are precious and our indigenous peoples’ situation has to be addressed every day.  Love cherries jubilee.  Takes me back to the PG on the P’dam when they were still flaming them.  Every time they came out the fire alarm went off because of the heat.  And the captain would call down.  By the end of the cruise, they were no longer lit.

It was supposed to be a sunny day but the weather man was wrong and it’s turned in to a drizzly day and looks like a very rainy one again tomorrow. Guess I am relegated to housework or cruise planning.  Hmm - wonder which one I will choose 😉. Fortunately it’s not cold yet but for those that are suffering from the early morning cold - this will be me soon 😉 

CF7C98FF-B4FE-4FD6-9995-CB9F265C9BC3.thumb.jpeg.62718d51fdec7966362bc6bf34af0d2d.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Friday everyone !!!!!!

B874700D-78CB-4DEB-BB91-553F144C727F.thumb.jpeg.8c8f5a4e9d7e20cafc5c83a798c583ab.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 17
  • Haha 16

Good Friday morning, Dailyite Family!

This will be a quick one since we will be planted in front of the TV all weekend watching the

images.jpeg.8dbf8097f835267a4618f57fa0f22dc2.jpeg

When we took our land tour of Australia/New Zealand in 2010, we visited the Koala Park outside Sydney

36.thumb.jpg.0586639db9fd1d20426bd4586005a693.jpg

Photo op with one of them

936107042_43PS.thumb.jpg.90414f7a900b7a9184ac45e46e27f8ae.jpg

Awwww

49645930_47PS.thumb.jpg.582818e6e77163a117561121b31a3523.jpg

Have a good day!

Kay

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a chilly central Texas where its 55F, but will warm up during the day. It will be cool when I head to the store in a few minutes.

As others have said, Native Americans deserve a day.  Without the Navajo code talkers, WWII in the Pacific would have lasted a lot longer.  Somewhere on my maternal grandmother's side there a Cherokee, but too far back to be eligible to join the Cherokee Nation.  Love koalas 🐨 and just read their numbers are way down.  It's been a long time since I had cherries jubilee.

The quote is interesting, but not one I really like.  

We had chicken parm without the pasta last night.  To cut down on the fat content, you could also grill the chicken.  I cook it in the air fryer so there is little oil involved.  I can share my recipe if anyone is interested.

The drink and the wine sound good, but the wine is pricey.

DH has been to Santa Barbara, but I haven't.  I was looking at a CA coastal cruise until SB banned cruise ships 🚢 until March.

Lenda

• Like 22