Family holiday w/ Grandparente - what cabin type is best?

Hi everyone,

We’re looking at sailing 7 nights on the Odyssey of the Seas on the 31 July 2022 to the Greek islands as a reunion for family scattered around the world.

Our party is of 9 pax:

Wife and I and our 2 young girls ages 6 and 8

Grandparents on one side

Grandmother on the other

2 teen nephews

We’re looking at potentially 4 or 5 cabins. A 5th if we book an interconnected cabin for our 2 girls with ours.

Current prices for interior ~$1,200 USD and Balcony $1,400.

Before we book, I wanted to understand 

1) if there may be other configuration of cabins that may allow us for more family time rather than separate ones. Are 3-4 bedroom cabins an option at all?

2) if we book only 1 cabin for little kids, wife and I, where do they sleep? Is the sofa pull out? Sounds like space would be really crammed 

3) If we go for the 2 connected cabins for little ones and wife and I, the price bumps almost to that of one suite. Does it make sense to upgrade to a suite or is space not enough when compared to 2 cabins connected?

4) do you expect to see kids sail free in the near future?

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks 😊 

Edited by marcoakis

• marcoakis changed the title to Family holiday w/ Grandparente - what cabin type is best?

Feel like I can only help with #3… we are going with our 2 kids, and booked 2 connecting rooms. It was actually cheaper than a suite, but I prefer the 2 rooms anyway. Extra bathroom, and whoever is in the room with the kids after the go to sleep can watch TV or something in the other room. 

• Like 2

On some other ships I have seen the family rooms in both interior and ocean view. These hold like 5 or 6 with some of them having bunk beds. 

An internet search came up with these ship classes:

Radiance, Voyager, Freedom, Oasis (as well as Vision of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas, and Enchantment of the Seas)

• Like 1

In my opinion, multiple cabins are always superior to a larger cabin or suite. If for no other reason, the extra bathrooms. There are plenty of opportunities for the family to all spend time together on a cruise. You don’t need to sleep “under the same roof.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure what is best for your family, but we have sailed with DH and myself, 2 kids (starting when about 7 and 10), one maternal grandmother, and paternal grandparents. We decided to do an inside or balcony room for DH and the paternal grandparents, and then a 3/4 person fitting balcony room for the grandmother and our 2 children. We always made sure that room was very near ours. It worked well for us because my mom was very close with our kids and knew them well, and she enjoyed evenings with them after they finished in the kids club around 10pm. This way my mom was able to share pricing on a cabin rather than going solo (and living alone she preferred to vacation with family) and the 3/4 person configuration of room allowed for 2 single beds and a double pull out couch. So youngest child slept on the pull out, and Grandma and oldest child each had a single bed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, brookmill18 said:

Not sure what is best for your family, but we have sailed with DH and myself, 2 kids (starting when about 7 and 10), one maternal grandmother, and paternal grandparents. We decided to do an inside or balcony room for DH and the paternal grandparents, and then a 3/4 person fitting balcony room for the grandmother and our 2 children. We always made sure that room was very near ours. It worked well for us because my mom was very close with our kids and knew them well, and she enjoyed evenings with them after they finished in the kids club around 10pm. This way my mom was able to share pricing on a cabin rather than going solo (and living alone she preferred to vacation with family) and the 3/4 person configuration of room allowed for 2 single beds and a double pull out couch. So youngest child slept on the pull out, and Grandma and oldest child each had a single bed.

I was going to suggest this.  

Put paternal grandparents in a balcony room, Mom and Dad in a connecting room, maternal grandmother with two little girls in other connecting room, and teen boys across the hall in an inside. 

You can open the balcony dividers to have access to the three balcony rooms.  Alternative to a connecting room is a next-door balcony with the divider opened for access.  Just check with a TA to make sure you won't be in separate fire zones (the dividers can't be opened between zones).

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 1

Many have posted that cabins for 3 are sometimes not even available to be booked, shut down. They are trying to discourage families with younger children most think.

I've seen 2 threads where its stated do not expect kids sail any time soon, as that's not what they want to promote right now, a bunch of kids. They want adults fully vaccinated and while kids over 12 can be now too having a kids sail free would also appeal for younger kids. 

Maybe when kids 5 and up are approved you might see a kids sail free but until then I wouldnt hold my breath. 

I personally like connecting promenade cabins with balconies across from them. Kids love these, prim would and I'm a big kid. They want to see what's going on. 

• Like 1

For you and your kids...2 connecting staterooms are great.  We do this when the price is right.  Two washrooms and more space overall.  But I will also say that we have stayed in a single stateroom before with 2 kids as well, and manage fine....especially at your kids ages.  When we can, we get a room where they each have their own bed or mattress.  I'm not sure how the beds work on Odyssey.  On some of the newer ships like Symphony, the sofa bed turns more into a trundle (vs a double mattress), which is great.

For the rest, it depends on the relationship and budget.  If grandparent and nephews can stay together then that would save money, but the grandparent may want privacy.  Would be nice if at least you can get your rooms close together.  Or of course, one of the larger suites.

Not sure about kids sale free, but I wouldn't expect it with Royal's shut down.

Good luck. Report back what you decide.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your input 🙏🏽

We decided to pull the trigger and rather than trying to find a big cabin with multiple bedrooms, we booked separate balcony cabins, close to each other on the same deck level.

The general consensus here is that there won't be kids sail free, so rather not wait.

• Like 2