Jump to content

A first look at the Koningsdam Menus


zgscl
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, san diego spartan said:

So my cruise is end of October.   On the app could only see 1 menu for MDR.  It was disappointing for sure.  How did you find other night menus?

So on Friday there was one and on Saturday there was another. Today it hasn't changed. Not sure if these are the correct days for these menus though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only time we have ever been in the MDR, and we are 4 star mariners, was once. And that was on my Nieuw Statendam cruise, and that is because muster was held in the MDR. LOL!!!

 

Edited by Laminator
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Willard23 said:

Am not seeing daily MDR menus in navigator. Just one generic menu. Where did you find dailies? This is for Kdam November coastal.

I'm sailing in 20 days and I only see one generic menu, also.  I even updated the app. 

Also, my boarding pass shows up in my iPad mini, with an option to download it to my Apple Wallet, but the iPad mini is not compatible with Apple Wallet.  So I went to my phone, and it says the boarding pass will be available after I've checked in, but I've already checked in and downloaded my boarding pass on my computer, but the phone Navigator doesn't understand that.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, croozer said:

I'm sailing in 20 days and I only see one generic menu, also.  I even updated the app. 

Also, my boarding pass shows up in my iPad mini, with an option to download it to my Apple Wallet, but the iPad mini is not compatible with Apple Wallet.  So I went to my phone, and it says the boarding pass will be available after I've checked in, but I've already checked in and downloaded my boarding pass on my computer, but the phone Navigator doesn't understand that.  

Have you tried logging out of the app, closing it out, and then reopening it and logging back in?  That seems to fix a lot of the issues I've had.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

 

The quarrel I have with the MDR menus -- and this was the case pre-pandemic as well -- is that the menus have moved toward uncomplicated things that I can cook myself -- kind of "home cooking" types of dishes.  I do think the meals are nicely plated and presented, of good quality, and they taste good, but on a cruise, I like to get out of my range of capability.  I figure they should have enough kitchen help to compose more complex dishes that I would find tough to put together myself at home.

 

We ate in specialty restaurants every single night in Alaska.  That was a first for us and not something we will do again.  Just too much rich food.  For upcoming California Coast, we added the Club Orange to kind of plus the experience, but still stay in reality diet wise.  Seems like gone are the days of just appearing at the MDR and expecting something wonderful.  A little more thought has to go into things.

I guess as long as one accepts that, their cruise will be a good one.  And I think this applies to all of the mainstream cruise lines.  We bounce around and they've all been the same.

(And second that about main stage entertainment.  They really need to bring back the shows.)

 

 

I think you hit the nail on the head. We never had a bad meal but we also did not have anything in the MDR that was particularly exciting, unique or inspiring. There was chicken/beef/lamb/veal/fish throughout but the reduction of choice on any given night also makes it more of a challenge. 

I may also find that the specialty dining every night is too much but I think I will be happier erring on that side and maybe canceling a reservation onboard than not being able to get one. I also have never done Sal de Mer or Tamarind so want to give each a couple tries. 

 

I agree that it is all about expectations. Knowing what I know now I can plan to spend the extra on specialty dining and plan my days accordingly with the evening entertainment. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, roxybear135 said:

Have you tried logging out of the app, closing it out, and then reopening it and logging back in?  That seems to fix a lot of the issues I've had.

Hahahahaha! I'm NOT laughing at you, I'm laughing at the app.  An hour ago, when I tapped "Wallet,

" absolutely nothing happened, not even an error message, so I decided it wasn't important and set it aside.  I just opened it now and it's working.  Hahahahaha!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, croozer said:

Hahahahaha! I'm NOT laughing at you, I'm laughing at the app.  An hour ago, when I tapped "Wallet,

" absolutely nothing happened, not even an error message, so I decided it wasn't important and set it aside.  I just opened it now and it's working.  Hahahahaha!

Both HAL and the Navigator app are consistently inconsistent! Glad it is working 🤣

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zgscl said:

 

I think you hit the nail on the head. We never had a bad meal but we also did not have anything in the MDR that was particularly exciting, unique or inspiring. There was chicken/beef/lamb/veal/fish throughout but the reduction of choice on any given night also makes it more of a challenge. 

I may also find that the specialty dining every night is too much but I think I will be happier erring on that side and maybe canceling a reservation onboard than not being able to get one. I also have never done Sal de Mer or Tamarind so want to give each a couple tries. 

 

I agree that it is all about expectations. Knowing what I know now I can plan to spend the extra on specialty dining and plan my days accordingly with the evening entertainment. 

 

That sounds like a good plan.  Both Sel de Mer and Tamarind are really good.  In Alaska, I had the duck two times at Tamarind and DH had the filet two times.  That's how much we like them.  Sel de Mer is my personal favorite.  You'll have a wonderful time.  If it were just me, I'd probably alternate the specialty restaurants with casual Lido dinners, but DH absolutely will not have a dinner at the buffet.  We just all have our preferences and ways about us.  It's so nice how many choices we have, really.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

 

That sounds like a good plan.  Both Sel de Mer and Tamarind are really good.  In Alaska, I had the duck two times at Tamarind and DH had the filet two times.  That's how much we like them.  Sel de Mer is my personal favorite.  You'll have a wonderful time.  If it were just me, I'd probably alternate the specialty restaurants with casual Lido dinners, but DH absolutely will not have a dinner at the buffet.  We just all have our preferences and ways about us.  It's so nice how many choices we have, really.

 

 

I plan to rotate the specialty dining, totally agree with your DH - I much prefer being served for dinner (and lunch for that matter) at least when on vacation. Yes, so glad there are options for us all! I do enjoy the lido on port days though as well as for the occasional late night snack. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We on this board have spent more time discussing the lackluster menus being offered than HAL executive chefs have spent planning them.  If these menus are the typical menus for my cruises planned for 2022, I will be disappointed and will have to consider moving on from HAL.  A good variety of food offerings is an important part of the experience.  I agree with others, I do not want to be only offered meals that I can easily prepare at home on my own.  Nor do I think we should have to cobble a meal together.   These menus are a far cry from the dover sole that periodically appeared on the main dining room menu.   

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tend to not like breakfast or lunch in the MDR simply because it always seems to take forever.  I don't mind spend 1.5-2 hrs at dinner but I feel like I'm being cheated out of my cruise time if I spend it sitting in the MDR morning and noon.

 

BUT, I may have to go to have a croque madame every day!

 

I sail Eurodam on 11/16 (was 11/14) and I only get the generic 1-day menu.  I even had an email this morning that my boarding time was assigned and to check my boarding docs.  Except they won't be available until Saturday.

 

I do have Club Orange for that sailing, so looking forward to the free mimosas at breakfast, which means I'll be in the MDR most mornings.  Don't suppose I can get them in the Lido, can I? 😁

 

Carnival decided a few years ago to add meatloaf as an everyday option.  Meatloaf for dinner on a cruise.  SMH.  But I'm amazed at the people out there who won't try different foods and want a plain grilled chicken breast every night.  I grew up a very picky eater because my mother was, so she only cooked what she wanted.  Never anything different and heaven forbid you try something new.  When I moved away from home, I forced myself to at least TRY things.  If you don't like it, fine.  But if you never do, you don't know what you're missing.  So many delicious things out there to try.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

BUT, I may have to go to have a croque madame every day!

We really enjoy a sit down breakfast and lunch but I understand everyone has their own personal preference. I did order the Croque Madam and it was very good but I do prefer my own recipe, I only use one slice of bread and use extra Mornay sauce. Here is the half order:
D8C61D25-780C-41F1-9A6A-D5D3CE8BB9D4.thumb.jpeg.aa6a0cf1f84be704e568d8b91336d2f9.jpeg
 

And the mimosas were wonderful!

C522A4D1-9016-4444-93D1-099904E26381.thumb.jpeg.df9525dc91f20e9b3fbb4b60227ea2c5.jpeg
 

Enjoy!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Trapper44 said:

That has not been my experience, but I ask for ice cream with it so maybe that helps.

I missed them this last trip. I’ll have to make up for that next trip. Never be afraid to order two deserts either!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2021 at 7:38 AM, Sir PMP said:

That's the future, boring and monotonous set menu's..:

 

 

I see no big differences between these menus and the ones they've always had, which IMO have been consistently good over the years. Don't understand what everyone's complaining about. 🙄

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2021 at 9:08 AM, zgscl said:

 

Interesting, I suppose it would make sense that both itineraries have the same menus. Totally uninspiring IMO

 

I find them very inspiring, as they've always been 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, KroozNut said:

I see no big differences between these menus and the ones they've always had, which IMO have been consistently good over the years. Don't understand what everyone's complaining about. 🙄

 

Same with me.  The only difference I see is the lack of choices on the every day menu.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Roz said:

 

Same with me.  The only difference I see is the lack of choices on the every day menu.  

Yes, that is what it is for me.  Why can't they put the always available on the menu? Also, the fact that there is an upcharge for steak and lobster.  Its just not worth the $35.  Maybe $10 extra if that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, KroozNut said:

 

I find them very inspiring, as they've always been 🙂

I guess it depends on how you cook at home.  When I saw someone saying how delicious fruit and cottage cheese was I was a little surprised.  That's not what I would say about that but ok.  Would love to hear what you find inspiring about them.  I hope you'll share.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I guess it depends on how you cook at home.  When I saw someone saying how delicious fruit and cottage cheese was I was a little surprised.  That's not what I would say about that but ok.  Would love to hear what you find inspiring about them.  I hope you'll share.

We all sure do have our own tastes & preferences don’t we! I agree, fruit and cottage cheese would do nothing for me 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I guess it depends on how you cook at home.  When I saw someone saying how delicious fruit and cottage cheese was I was a little surprised.  That's not what I would say about that but ok.  Would love to hear what you find inspiring about them.  I hope you'll share.

 

You're right about depending on how one cooks at home, and I'll be the first to admit that no matter how much of an accomplished cook I think I am, my at home cooking typically doesn't even come close to what is on a typical HAL menu.
 

And apparently my bar for the menus being inspiring is much lower than yours. In fact, I'm just thrilled to be going back to sea again (hopefully), and seeing these menus inspires me to anticipate even more, the exciting prospect of dining on a ship once again. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2021
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Free Charter Air & Hotels on Antarctica Cruises
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...