Caribbean itineraries on Oceania

nursinadream

We've been to the Caribbean several times.  Did cruises with our kids and grandids (Disney), parents (RCCL), workmates (Celebrity), Bareboat charter (BVI), and we lived on St Thomas while I was working.  Husband's summary is been there, done that - and we live in South Florida.  Is there something about an Oceania cruise to that region that might wow us or entice us (especially him) in anyway?

I enjoy this board and read most everyday.  Vikings and Baltic Shores cruise coming up late in 2022, our first one in many years and our first Oceania.

Thanks, Deb

41 minutes ago, nursinadream said:

We've been to the Caribbean several times.  Did cruises with our kids and grandids (Disney), parents (RCCL), workmates (Celebrity), Bareboat charter (BVI), and we lived on St Thomas while I was working.  Husband's summary is been there, done that - and we live in South Florida.  Is there something about an Oceania cruise to that region that might wow us or entice us (especially him) in anyway?

I enjoy this board and read most everyday.  Vikings and Baltic Shores cruise coming up late in 2022, our first one in many years and our first Oceania.

Thanks, Deb

Caribbean = Walmart of “exotic(?)” destinations. Except for an occasional crewed charter that gets you up close and personal with the marine life, your husband is correct: “one and done.”

In all honesty, most Caribbean itineraries are a waste of the Oceania experience. What is best done on O are longer itineraries e.g., 3-5 weeks +\- with adequate sea days in the mix and ports with truly interesting cultures/geography/history. 

Remember that O fares include air (or air credit). So if you want the “tropics,” I suggest a transpacific (partial or full) that includes French Polynesia and other far-more-interesting-than-the-Caribbean destinations (e.g., Rapa Nui, Fiji, Pitcairn, et al.). One of our favorite cruises is Sydney to SF (or LA) either direction.

Sure it’s a long haul from Swamplandia. But, you could add land stays at either end in SF or LA or both. 

• Like 1

Yes ... "been there and done that" ... many, many times. But we'll continue to book O's Caribbean itineraries as we thoroughly enjoy the ships, the crew and the food. Often we'll just remain onboard while in port ... relaxing in the peacefulness of an almost-empty ship. 😃

• Like 4

1 minute ago, nursinadream said:

"Sure it’s a long haul from Swamplandia".  LOL.  Have you seen what the developers have done to the Swamp to build Naples, FL🤔?  It's Paradise.  Thanks Flyer for your input though, makes sense.

Sorry - Californian here. Been to Florida - “one and done.”

• Haha 1

We always do a Caribbean cruise in February because we live in cold NJ and it's a chance to just get away without it being a long trip or flight.  We too have been to most of the islands many times previously on Celebrity, RCI, and Princess.  This February (2/7/22) will be our first time on Oceania and while some say it's a waste of the Oceania experience, we are totally excited.  To us, it's the fun of the ship, food, etc rather than the islands.  However, in past travels we have somehow missed St Barts and Guadalupe which are on this cruise so perhaps you, Nursinadream, can tell me something about those two islands since you have been to them all.  With no cruising for the past year there is very little current info on the ports of call board.  Thanks.

• Like 4

I know, I know - but there is something to be said for sitting on your balcony while your butler pours your champagne, dining on gourmet meals, floating around in the warm Caribbean water and snoozing under a palm tree.   For those of us who have an easy drive to Port of Miami it sure beats staying home.  We’ve traveled to lots of exotic destinations but the virus has kept us from international travel.  For now the Caribbean works for us.  Maybe in another six months we’ll venture farther from home.

• Like 4

If you haven't been to the Mayan coast and like archeology, there is a 10-day itinerary that you may like in December:
https://www.oceaniacruises.com/caribbean-cruises/miami-to-miami-RVA211213/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%23time_frame%3D2021-12%26sort%3DdepartureDate%3Aasc%26page%3D1%26pageSize%3D50

It doesn't occur again until Feb. 2023. I had no interest in cruising the Caribbean until I saw this itinerary; no offense to those who love the Caribbean, but we're mountain/snow people, not beach/sun people. We've been meaning to see the Mayan region via land, but I also want to try O (and cruising in general) so this satisfies two desires.

• Like 1

Amhuntferry, that looks like a nice itinerary.  We will be taking our first Oceania cruise in January, 2023 also a 10 day Riviera to the Caribbean but including st barts.  As this will be our first cruise we felt this was a great way to experience the Oceania product.  We wanted to try the larger ship to give all four specialties a chance.  For us, this cruise at least, will be more of a ship is the destination, relax in the sun and eat great food type of vacation.  We do plan to go ashore at the ports but probably mostly a stroll through town or a single excursion.  We plan to eat all, or at least almost all, of our meals aboard.  My wife might just add afternoon tea as a forth meal every day.  10 days will be our longest vacation ever and we are looking forward to turning off the real world for more than just a weekend.

Hardest part is we have so long to wait...

• Like 3

My 17 Nov 2021 Rome to Miami TA will stop at Gustavia, St. Barts. Oceania has 0 (zero) shore excursions for this port, and I read on the ports section of cruisecritic that cruisers are NOT welcome at this port. 
Any suggestions on how we could/should spend our time in the port? 
Thx!

1 minute ago, PhD-iva said:

My 17 Nov 2021 Rome to Miami TA will stop at Gustavia, St. Barts. Oceania has 0 (zero) shore excursions for this port, and I read on the ports section of cruisecritic that cruisers are NOT welcome at this port. 
Thx!

Not missing much if you stay on the ship.

8 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Thx!

Maybe there is a glitch or excursions will show up soon?  We stop there right after you on December 6, 2021 and there are five excursions offered by O.

8 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

My 17 Nov 2021 Rome to Miami TA will stop at Gustavia, St. Barts.

Do you like Paris? France? If you know how to travel in France, then you will love St. Barts! French and Swedish - the only Swedish colony. Population of less than 10,000, the only industry is retail & restaurants. I would suspect those who find St Barts unfriendly, would say the same of France.

Language is French. Currency is Euros (use your credit card). Signs in Swedish and French. French architecture.

Visit high end shops - Hermes, Louis Vuitton, Cartier, Bulgari.

One of the prettiest, small beaches.

Sip a pastis in a "French" cafe overlooking a luxury yacht harbour.

Have a hamburger at the cafe where Jimmy Buffett wrote "Cheeseburger in Paradise".

If you miss French cuisine, have a seafood lunch.

Couple of museums but I have never visited.

Don't miss it.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Do you like Paris? France? If you know how to travel in France, then you will love St. Barts! French and Swedish - the only Swedish colony. Population of less than 10,000, the only industry is retail & restaurants. I would suspect those who find St Barts unfriendly, would say the same of France.

Language is French. Currency is Euros (use your credit card). Signs in Swedish and French. French architecture.

Visit high end shops - Hermes, Louis Vuitton, Cartier, Bulgari.

One of the prettiest, small beaches.

Sip a pastis in a "French" cafe overlooking a luxury yacht harbour.

Have a hamburger at the cafe where Jimmy Buffett wrote "Cheeseburger in Paradise".

If you miss French cuisine, have a seafood lunch.

Couple of museums but I have never visited.

Don't miss it.  

Thanks v much!

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not missing much if you stay on the ship.

You are being a bit harsh on the Caribbean.  Although we have long (decades) been active world travelers we still enjoy heading down to the Caribbean at least once a year.  Since we love the sea, sun and sand the Caribbean has all of that although I would be the first to agree that there are some islands where we think the best way to spend a day is on the ship.  But St Barts is a really charming island (popular with many jet setters and others of means) where one can enjoy the relatively unspoiled beaches and world-class restaurants (some right on the beaches).  The Caribbean is also a fantastic region for those who enjoy SCUBA and snorkeling.

Hank

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

0 (zero) shore excursions for this port

Definitely a small island where you don't need one. Consider hiring a taxi (convertible mini?) and asking him to show you the island? 

There was a high end wine store there where you might want to restock your stateroom supplies.

• Like 2

Perhaps I was trying to say that there is a reason why very knowledgeable and wealthy folks (who have the means to go anywhere in the world) choose to spend thousands of dollars a day to stay on islands like St Barts or Anguilla.   While I could make a very good case to stay on your ship when docked in St Thomas, there is no way I would stay on the ship when anchored off St Barts.  Perhaps Flatbush Flyer would not understand that we would rather spend a week on St Barts then a week in California :).  On St Barts I could leave all my valuables on the beach and go into the water without any concern that somebody would steal our stuff.  And you will not find any homeless folks on St Barts, crime is something you read about that happens elsewhere, and the worst restaurants are still darn good.  On the other hand, I would take most of California over places like St Thomas.

Hank 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I happen to love St. Barths. Hire a taxi and have them take you to Nikki Beach (beautiful white sand) and order a glass of champagne while overlooking the blue sea. People watching is also great there.

Thanks! And thx to others for all their good options for me to consider.