COVID on Ovation at the moment

Hoggiestravelbud

Seems like there is a COVID outbreak on Ovation at the moment. Any insights from the board members how many cases? https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2021/10/articles/disease/positive-covid-19-cases-on-the-seabourne-ovation-as-it-sails-to-cyprus/ 

What do the protocols look like in action? 

Hope everyone is safe and well. 

This is an awful situation and apparently unavoidable.  We were fortunate to have spent 3 weeks in Greece (including 2 weeks on the Ovation) in July-Aug without a problem.  During our cruise, on our turn around day in Pireaus, it was reported that two newly embarking passengers tested positive (in the tent adjacent to the vessel) and were denied boarding (Seabourn has a protocol to deal with those kind of cases).  

But the reality is that you can be fully vaccinated, follow all the protocols, get tested again and again, and still get a "breakthrough" case of COVID and ultimately test positive.  This is an ugly fact of life and as one who has traveled and will be again traveling later today it is just scary.  DW and I have our own personal protocol where we limit contact with any other human for the 2 weeks prior to a trip and where N95 Masks whenever we need to go out (such as to the supermarket) or when in travel mode.  Even this is not 100%, but it is the best we (or anyone else) can do.

What is even more troubling is that this new reality will likely be with us for the foreseeable future.  As lifelong avid travelers/cruisers we are cognizant that all travel involves some risk but COVID pushes the risk to a new level and creates lots of trip hassles.  For those that want to travel/cruise it is just our new way of life and, for lack of a better word, it sucks!

Hank

• Like 4

It looks like they allowed people to get off the ship for the day in Cyprus, since the blogger (not sure if I am allowed to mention his name here) posted a picture of himself on his Twitter feed. It would be helpful to hear more of how Seabourn is handling this event as well as more details re the positive tests. 

Friends are on board. They report that all is being handled well, and drama free. 

Seabourn is not the first cruise line to have Covid cases since the restart, and certainly won't be the last.

Wishing the guests who have tested positive a full and speedy recovery.

• Like 2

We are presently on board the Ovation. The captain has told us that there are a small number of Covid passengers on board but did not give the actual number. They have been isolated and quarantined. The crew are being very tight lipped and tell us that they do not know any more than we do.

We were all tested (antigen) on Monday morning and again this morning. Last night we were given N95 masks and told to wear them instead of the cloth masks provided at the beginning of the trip. Since Monday most of the entertainment and  all dancing has been moved outdoors and masks are compulsory indoors for all passengers and crew, except when eating and drinking. 

Tours are continuing and passengers are allowed off in all ports so far but reminded to wear masks when appropriate. 
We are hoping that this unfortunate outbreak has been contained and that no further restrictions are necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am currently on the ovation and in quarantine my wife tested positive (I am negative but still quarantined due to her) Monday am. We are in separate cabins on different  lower, forward decks. So far my only gripe is lack of communication on what to do as we have no idea on how this is going to move forward. We did our own air, have a lot of appointments scheduled at home next week,etc.  Seabourn is treating us as well as they can coordinating meals, ice, towels etc. We are on our second of two weeks, at least one case is on their first week.  I have no idea how many cases there are, from what I see is at least ten but could be more. Will add more when I know more.

• Like 2

To those currently on board, thank you for posting from the ship.  Braidmacd, I am sorry that your cruise was impacted.  I hope your wife and you are well and manage through this all ok.  If you can share any additional information we would all appreciate it (questions like: is Seabourn doing contact tracing, are quarantine cabins balcony or window cabins, will Seabourn offload positive guests before end of the cruise etc.) To everyone on the ship, stay well. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, braidmacd said:

I am currently on the ovation and in quarantine my wife tested positive (I am negative but still quarantined due to her) Monday am. We are in separate cabins on different  lower, forward decks. So far my only gripe is lack of communication on what to do as we have no idea on how this is going to move forward. We did our own air, have a lot of appointments scheduled at home next week,etc.  Seabourn is treating us as well as they can coordinating meals, ice, towels etc. We are on our second of two weeks, at least one case is on their first week.  I have no idea how many cases there are, from what I see is at least ten but could be more. Will add more when I know more.

Are the quarantined people in adjacent suites? Are you allowed on the veranda?  Should be able to talk to your neighbors there.

According to posters on a Facebook site for SB, those who tested positive were removed from the ship at the next port, no refunds, find your own way home. And until then, all indoor activities are suspended.  Trying to get real answers directly from SB and our TA but not forthcoming.     

6 hours ago, braidmacd said:

I am sorry to hear about your wife and hope she will be fine.  Posters on a Facebook site for SB say that those who test positive are being removed from this ship at the next port. Is that true?  If not, for how long will you both be quarantined?  If you knew this information ahead of time, would you have gone on the cruise?  (I am booked for Holiday Cruise aboard Ovation and re-thinking.). 

2 hours ago, Hobar said:

According to posters on a Facebook site for SB, those who tested positive were removed from the ship at the next port, no refunds, find your own way home. And until then, all indoor activities are suspended.  Trying to get real answers directly from SB and our TA but not forthcoming.     

If this is true, it’s contrary to the policy Seabourn has been putting out to TAs about how these cases would be handled with refunds/allowances, passenger quarantine coordination, and travel changes.  

I hope that it’s just rumors because it would be disturbing to think that Seabourn would just dump positive passengers at the next port.

4 minutes ago, jenidallas said:

If this is true, it’s contrary to the policy Seabourn has been putting out to TAs about how these cases would be handled with refunds/allowances, passenger quarantine coordination, and travel changes.  

I hope that it’s just rumors because it would be disturbing to think that Seabourn would just dump positive passengers at the next port.

As I follow two FB groups regarding Seabourn, I have seen that they were disembarked, but not on their own. And I have followed the threads.

We have two friends that were on a Holland America ship a while back and during the final testing prior to disembarkation, their table mate tested positive. Due to the close contact, they had to be retested before disembarkation, which fortunately provided the right results and they were able to disembark normally.

The table mate and one other onboard were taken to an Athens hotel to quarantine on HAL's dime, not theirs, so I can't imagine that Seabourn would not take care of this for them as well. I don't know how the flights were handled if they were not booked through HAL though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, braidmacd said:

So very sorry to hear this and hope that your wife is doing better.  We know how awful it is to be in quarantine away from home.  

• Like 1

I first heard of this on Sunday evening from friends we cruise with but who aren't on Ovation currently. Then our friends who are on the ship had emailed us early Tuesday morning. (UK time).At that time they were clear that all bars and restaurants were operating as normal.

What does that mean then 'all indoor activities cancelled' ? Activities like trivia, moved outside I guess, but all indoor dining is still happening or has the situation changed now?

Disturbing news when you have a cruise coming up. We too try to minimize contacts 2 weeks before the cruise... as a sort of mini-quarantine. But one can never be 100% safe.

On a side note: Why Seabourn keeps inviting G.B. remains a mystery to me. His vlogs are so boringly repetitive and his filming on board can't really be described as discrete. He doesn't even care whether you're being filmed nor does he ask if you mind. Very rude.

We met the lovely "Visit with us" couple on the Silver Moon this August who were extremely careful not to disturb any passengers with their filming. The same can be said about Matthias Morr ("Schiffstester") who is the most well known German cruise vlogger.

Onboard the Ovation: Approx. 6pm local time the Captain informed us that the Covid positive passengers were disembarked in Rhodes and were being cared for there. (No info about who was paying for it etc!). We hoped that we could now return to “normal”, that is no masking onboard etc. but that did not happen. We are still following the N95 masking policy indoors and all entertainment is outdoors. Dining is indoor and outdoor depending on the restaurant, tours are still happening and independent travel in Santorini tomorrow is still a go as far as we know now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, CanAmBrit said:

Onboard the Ovation: Approx. 6pm local time the Captain informed us that the Covid positive passengers were disembarked in Rhodes and were being cared for there. (No info about who was paying for it etc!). We hoped that we could now return to “normal”, that is no masking onboard etc. but that did not happen. We are still following the N95 masking policy indoors and all entertainment is outdoors. Dining is indoor and outdoor depending on the restaurant, tours are still happening and independent travel in Santorini tomorrow is still a go as far as we know now.

Really appreciate the update, thank you. 

25 minutes ago, CanAmBrit said:

Onboard the Ovation: Approx. 6pm local time the Captain informed us that the Covid positive passengers were disembarked in Rhodes and were being cared for there. (No info about who was paying for it etc!). We hoped that we could now return to “normal”, that is no masking onboard etc. but that did not happen. We are still following the N95 masking policy indoors and all entertainment is outdoors. Dining is indoor and outdoor depending on the restaurant, tours are still happening and independent travel in Santorini tomorrow is still a go as far as we know now.. 

Thanks for this informative and first-hand update, much appreciated.

I hope Seabourn will continue with the mask mandate on board (except when eating or drinking).  It's a small inconvenience to reduce the risk of positive cases in the future and is in the best interest of all passengers and crew.  I was on an Iceland cruise on Silversea this past August with such a policy, and it was neither uncomfortable nor cumbersome to wear a mask at all times (except, again, when eating or drinking).  I'd hate to test positive during the cruise and to have to deal with all the real inconveniences and major hassles as a result!

• Like 1

Unfortunate news, but our life's adventures will carry on. 🤞  We are headed back to the Ovation on Saturday for 4 weeks from Athens to Lisbon.  Had our PCR tests today at Quest Diagnostics and waiting for results.  Will keep everyone apprised of how the cruise has changed with the current outbreak.  Prayers for those affected and that they reach home safely from an unfortunate and difficult situation.

Unfortunately, Covid enjoys people having a good time.  When you bring different people from different counties/regions together on a holiday, without masks and social distancing and then send them out on their own to various ports then back to the ship to socialize/interact….the inevitable will happen. And it has on Ovation. This is all despite a vaccination and testing protocol. It’s too bad.  It seems that the new reality/risk for vaccinated cruisers is perhaps a lower risk of severe health/hospitalization impact…but a higher risk of testing positive on a ship and then being offloaded in whatever country/destination for days of quarantine. Something to think about before booking another cruise. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

Unfortunately, Covid enjoys people having a good time.  When you bring different people from different counties/regions together on a holiday, without masks and social distancing and then send them out on their own to various ports then back to the ship to socialize/interact….the inevitable will happen. And it has on Ovation. This is all despite a vaccination and testing protocol. It’s too bad.  It seems that the new reality/risk for vaccinated cruisers is perhaps a lower risk of severe health/hospitalization impact…but a higher risk of testing positive on a ship and then being offloaded in whatever country/destination for days of quarantine. Something to think about before booking another cruise. 

The concern about being offloaded wherever is what is preventing us from booking right now. We actually had a reservation on this same Ovation cruise with our friends but we decided, toward the end of July, to not go ahead. Lately we've been thinking of booking the Ovation Holiday cruise but we are not sure we can take the risk of being stuck somewhere, especially near the end of the cruise which could delay our return to the UK.

I just had another email from our friends who feel that communication onboard could be rather more transparent right now. The offloading of guests has somewhat unnerved them.

Would appreciate further feedback on this if possible from those CCers who are onboard.

If you test positive for COVID you will not be getting on any flights back home until you test negative.    This is not Seabourn’s rule.   When we cruised in July we were aware of the COVID policy.   We were on a B2B but if we tested positive at the end of the first cruise we would be off the ship.   If you have a concern about this policy don’t book the holiday cruise.   Any travel during this pandemic can be subject to all kinds of changes and/or delays.   

31 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

The offloading of guests has somewhat unnerved them.

Would appreciate further feedback on this if possible from those CCers who are onboard.

I think this is the basic protocol for all cruise lines now. If someone tests positive, they will be immediately isolated, and then removed from the ship at the earliest practical opportunity. (I'm are there are multiple test first, to rule out a false positive from causing such disruption.) The cruise lines must have agreements in place with local authorities to provide for quarantine housing, and hospitalization if necessary. I'm not sure if the protocols call for offloading passengers who are asymptomatic, or only for someone who exhibits any symptoms. But it makes sense that the immediate two concerns are (1) insuring the individual has proper care while being isolated, and (2) protecting everyone on the ship from the potential of catching the virus. The safest way to achieve those two goals is to get an infected person off the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

I think this is the basic protocol for all cruise lines now. If someone tests positive, they will be immediately isolated, and then removed from the ship at the earliest practical opportunity. (I'm are there are multiple test first, to rule out a false positive from causing such disruption.) The cruise lines must have agreements in place with local authorities to provide for quarantine housing, and hospitalization if necessary. I'm not sure if the protocols call for offloading passengers who are asymptomatic, or only for someone who exhibits any symptoms. But it makes sense that the immediate two concerns are (1) insuring the individual has proper care while being isolated, and (2) protecting everyone on the ship from the potential of catching the virus. The safest way to achieve those two goals is to get an infected person off the ship. 

I absolutely agree with you, I think what's bothering them most, rather than the actual offloading, is what they're not being told. Main point was how many cases were on the ship. The offloading just brought the reality of the situation into focus.

My friends are still enjoying the cruise and have expressed concern for everyone affected.