Britannia Now … our personal opinion and observations on board

My husband and I are on day twelve of the first Britannia cruise out of British waters post Covid.  I am posting our observations and opinions about how everything is running on onboard at present, the good and the bad, in the hope that it might be useful to others. 

The staff are excellent as always and they have made us very welcome. Sadly, the Club Dining option is not operating (will it ever come back?) so there is no rapport with “your own” waiting staff at meal times.  The dining arrangements are that you have to join a virtual queue via the app or turn up and be given a pager at busy times.  The waiting times are very long at popular times.  See traffic light notification that is part of the daily Horizon newsletter.

FA4D873B-5DFC-4239-8326-EC1FC517FF9E.thumb.jpeg.3eccd9f316205228deb13888dd547436.jpeg

Tables are selected randomly for you so you rarely get to sit in the same section two days running.    We think this is a shame as the rapport we built up with our waiters was always a big part of our daily dining experience.  From comments made, it seems that the waiting staff don’t like this arrangement either.
Something else that has changed is that you are now asked to choose your dessert when you initially place your order. This isn’t always very satisfactory as it is difficult to gauge how full you will be feeling and which dessert will appeal once you have consumed the first two courses.  However, we found that if we made a request to look at the menu again later, we were able to do so.

Whilst on the subject of dining, if you want to book a speciality restaurant or The Limelight Club and the app shows the venue to be full, most definitely go to see the staff in person and most times there are tables available.  They do not book all the tables out via the app and you will more than likely be able to book if you ask in person.

Passengers are now permitted to get off the ship and explore independently in the ports.  Temperatures are taken at the point of leaving the ship using a device pointed at your forehead so it is very quick, giving instant results and creates no queues or backlog.

We have been told that the ship is sailing at around 75% capacity but most evenings a “House Full” sign is put outside The Live Lounge during the mid evening performance and a queue forms.  The band “Pulse” are excellent and they are very popular. 
Theatre shows and performances in The Live Lounge normally have three showings/sets and the early and late performances are usually the least well attended so we have opted to organise our evenings around this.  There are organised ballroom and sequence dancing sessions in The Crystal Room for an hour most evenings and some afternoon sessions. These are supervised by dance hosts and there are lessons on most sea days.  Masks are not required unless dancing with someone other than your own partner.

Our advice is to think ahead and plan what you want to do in advance.  It isn’t what we usually expect to do when we are on holiday but there has been very little spontaneity on this cruise !! 

Other notes that might be useful … our cruise is fourteen nights long and there are four formal nights which I believe is the way it used to be.  Some passengers on this cruise were rather surprised as they didn’t expect that there would be so many.

I will finish by adding a few of our own personal opinions and things that we have found to be  talking points …

On every ship we have been on in the past there have been two live bands on board.  On Britannia there is only one upbeat band who are the fantastic “Pulse,” plus the Britannia orchestra, and these musicians all produce the most phenomenal sounds.  There are couple of other quieter entertainers.
However there is no music filling the atrium and as a result the ship totally lacks any sort of holiday atmosphere.    
Dancing to live music anywhere on the ship is banned.  Disco dancing is allowed to recorded music between live performances in The Live Lounge but this doesn’t have the same feel good factor to it and it must be soul destroying for the musicians to be playing to a dead dance floor. Dancing is not allowed in The Limelight Club either and tables have been placed on the floor to prevent anyone using it.

This could make some sense if other protocols didn’t contradict it.  Guests are allowed to get off and explore ports independently and eat with other unknown people at the same table in groups of up to six.   Everyone mixes and mingles maskless in the bars yet masks are required when walking around the ship. In the past few days a sign appeared in the lifts to say we should refrain from talking which makes no sense as everyone happily chats maskless to one another in the lounges and dining rooms and there is not very much distance between tables.

B75EDEE0-ED2F-4DAE-90B2-5168EC4ACD03.thumb.jpeg.95f8b172295d9016f082f86b506163d3.jpeg

So, in our opinion, the protocols seem to be rather pointless.    We were told that during a bingo session you should not call “Bingo” but clap instead !!!!

In the conveniences washbasins are sealed over with film printed DO NOT USE but there are more cubicles in use than washbasins which then causes a queue waiting in a confined area to use the basin.  

So, to sum up our findings on this cruise;   We haven’t been able to make sense of the inconsistencies and we have felt very frustrated at times.  
Having said that, we sailed with Celebrity onboard Silhouette for eight nights in July and everything on board apart from mask wearing, was cruising as we had hoped it would be and have previously enjoyed.  Therefore perhaps our expectations of this cruise were overly high as we were hoping for a similar experience.  I think if we had come with less expectation we wouldn’t have been disappointed and I think that might be the key.  

So our advice would be to expect many changes and come prepared for the fact that things will be different.  On a very positive note, the glorious sunshine we have had on this cruise has lifted our spirits tremendously and it has been a lovely break.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

25 minutes ago, BestGuessed said:

My husband and I are on day twelve of the first Britannia cruise out of British waters post Covid.  I am posting our observations and opinions about how everything is running on onboard at present, the good and the bad, in the hope that it might be useful to others. 

The staff are excellent as always and they have made us very welcome. Sadly, the Club Dining option is not operating (will it ever come back?) so there is no rapport with “your own” waiting staff at meal times.  The dining arrangements are that you have to join a virtual queue via the app or turn up and be given a pager at busy times.  The waiting times are very long at popular times.  See traffic light notification that is part of the daily Horizon newsletter.

FA4D873B-5DFC-4239-8326-EC1FC517FF9E.thumb.jpeg.3eccd9f316205228deb13888dd547436.jpeg

Tables are selected randomly for you so you rarely get to sit in the same section two days running.    We think this is a shame as the rapport we built up with our waiters was always a big part of our daily dining experience.  From comments made, it seems that the waiting staff don’t like this arrangement either.
Something else that has changed is that you are now asked to choose your dessert when you initially place your order. This isn’t always very satisfactory as it is difficult to gauge how full you will be feeling and which dessert will appeal once you have consumed the first two courses.  However, we found that if we made a request to look at the menu again later, we were able to do so.

Whilst on the subject of dining, if you want to book a speciality restaurant or The Limelight Club and the app shows the venue to be full, most definitely go to see the staff in person and most times there are tables available.  They do not book all the tables out via the app and you will more than likely be able to book if you ask in person.

Passengers are now permitted to get off the ship and explore independently in the ports.  Temperatures are taken at the point of leaving the ship using a device pointed at your forehead so it is very quick, giving instant results and creates no queues or backlog.

We have been told that the ship is sailing at around 75% capacity but most evenings a “House Full” sign is put outside The Live Lounge during the mid evening performance and a queue forms.  The band “Pulse” are excellent and they are very popular. 
Theatre shows and performances in The Live Lounge normally have three showings/sets and the early and late performances are usually the least well attended so we have opted to organise our evenings around this.  There are organised ballroom and sequence dancing sessions in The Crystal Room for an hour most evenings and some afternoon sessions. These are supervised by dance hosts and there are lessons on most sea days.  Masks are not required unless dancing with someone other than your own partner.

Our advice is to think ahead and plan what you want to do in advance.  It isn’t what we usually expect to do when we are on holiday but there has been very little spontaneity on this cruise !! 

Other notes that might be useful … our cruise is fourteen nights long and there are four formal nights which I believe is the way it used to be.  Some passengers on this cruise were rather surprised as they didn’t expect that there would be so many.

I will finish by adding a few of our own personal opinions and things that we have found to be  talking points …

On every ship we have been on in the past there have been two live bands on board.  On Britannia there is only one upbeat band who are the fantastic “Pulse,” plus the Britannia orchestra, and these musicians all produce the most phenomenal sounds.  There are couple of other quieter entertainers.
However there is no music filling the atrium and as a result the ship totally lacks any sort of holiday atmosphere.    
Dancing to live music anywhere on the ship is banned.  Disco dancing is allowed to recorded music between live performances in The Live Lounge but this doesn’t have the same feel good factor to it and it must be soul destroying for the musicians to be playing to a dead dance floor. Dancing is not allowed in The Limelight Club either and tables have been placed on the floor to prevent anyone using it.

This could make some sense if other protocols didn’t contradict it.  Guests are allowed to get off and explore ports independently and eat with other unknown people at the same table in groups of up to six.   Everyone mixes and mingles maskless in the bars yet masks are required when walking around the ship. In the past few days a sign appeared in the lifts to say we should refrain from talking which makes no sense as everyone happily chats maskless to one another in the lounges and dining rooms and there is not very much distance between tables.

B75EDEE0-ED2F-4DAE-90B2-5168EC4ACD03.thumb.jpeg.95f8b172295d9016f082f86b506163d3.jpeg

So, in our opinion, the protocols seem to be rather pointless.    We were told that during a bingo session you should not call “Bingo” but clap instead !!!!

In the conveniences washbasins are sealed over with film printed DO NOT USE but there are more cubicles in use than washbasins which then causes a queue waiting in a confined area to use the basin.  

So, to sum up our findings on this cruise;   We haven’t been able to make sense of the inconsistencies and we have felt very frustrated at times.  
Having said that, we sailed with Celebrity onboard Silhouette for eight nights in July and everything on board apart from mask wearing, was cruising as we had hoped it would be and have previously enjoyed.  Therefore perhaps our expectations of this cruise were overly high as we were hoping for a similar experience.  I think if we had come with less expectation we wouldn’t have been disappointed and I think that might be the key.  

So our advice would be to expect many changes and come prepared for the fact that things will be different.  On a very positive note, the glorious sunshine we have had on this cruise has lifted our spirits tremendously and it has been a lovely break.

Hi again,

Excellent and helpful advice.

All of this (apart from the traffic light system) is what we had on Iona's Maiden Voyage at the beginning of August, and it drove us mad as well.

Why, after restrictions on social distancing being lifted, and mask wearing no longer being requested in England, P&O have not changed their attitude even a little bit, I really don't know. They have been at pains to say they are following Government guidelines the whole time. Well they aren't anymore.

We, like you, have been on other cruise lines this Summer and have felt other lines were taking a more relaxed view. Cunard were the exception here, but probably because they had an 'outbreak' just before starting back.

We were looking forward to our first 'international' cruise after waiting over two years!  However, this has changed.

We will enjoy the sun (hopefully!) and the drinks, and the food, and our Suite. We will not, however, feel like we are on a cruise.

We will not be booking with P&O again until they are completely back to normal.

We have, however, already booked with other cruise lines next year.😊

Thank you for all your very helpful comments and advice. 😊

Enjoy the end of your holiday, and pray we get the same great weather you've had!😁

Cheers

CP

Excellent report.... Thanks

This is the first I have heard about no fixed dining on Britannia, we are on her in January and am expecting fixed dining and have had no notification about Dining options changing. Has there been an announcement I have missed ?

5 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

This is the first I have heard about no fixed dining on Britannia, we are on her in January and am expecting fixed dining and have had no notification about Dining options changing. Has there been an announcement I have missed ?

We weren’t informed beforehand and had expected to be on the 8.30pm sitting which we had opted for.   However once we were onboard we were told that everything would be freedom dining unless you want to eat at 6pm or 6.15pm for which you can pre-book a table.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

The general assumption is that this is in response to Covid and that that it will revert back to 'normal' post-pandemic, whenever that may be. I sincerely hope it is before I sail on Arcadia next summer.

6 minutes ago, BestGuessed said:

We weren’t informed beforehand and had expected to be on the 8.30pm sitting which we had opted for.   However once we were onboard we were told that everything would be freedom dining unless you want to eat at 6pm or 6.15pm for which you can pre-book a table.

Perhaps no club dining was due to the light passenger load,  and will be re-introduced as numbers increase.

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Perhaps no club dining was due to the light passenger load,  and will be re-introduced as numbers increase.

Not that light if sailing at 75% capacity...

Yes we are at 75% capacity, so reasonably full, however The Peninsula and Meridian restaurants are the only two main dining rooms in use at the moment. The Oriental isn’t being used so probably the other two dining rooms are catering for what would be considered normal numbers.

If I have the opportunity, I will ask at the dining room desk this evening to see if they can provide any insight as to whether this Freedom Dining is forevermore or whether the Club Dining option is likely to return and I will post the reply tomorrow. …. Watch this space !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Great report

Let's not forget not long ago some of us were thinking we might not be cruising again for many years

For the posters above who prefer the more relaxed attitudes of other cruise lines to masks etc the likelihood is as more cases and problems emerge they have to bring more rules back in

MSC has already had a superspreader cruise with 200 plus cases and 4 deaths allegedly since cruising returned

By being more lax than others on rules

And thats without being anywhere near full capacity

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

MSC has already had a superspreader cruise with 200 plus cases and 4 deaths allegedly since cruising returned

By being more lax than others on rules

And thats without being anywhere near full capacity

Having been on the following cruise to the one that's being alluded to (and having had a fantastic time), the majority of problems were created by passengers.   Of course, for some, mask wearing is difficult thus making them exempt, but some very vocal passengers just refusing to wear them, ignoring any form of distancing or squeezing into lifts.   Cases of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".   Virtuosa, at the end of a day, is a 181,500t, 331m long ship with 12 restaurants.

Cruise lines have made tremendous progress to allow holidays to re-start, but they were always going to have to rely to an extent on passengers to do their bit too, not least making a conscientious decision whether their health, age or logistics was worth a holiday, knowing that covid hasn't suddenly disappeared.   

Edited by showingdiva
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

Having been on the following cruise to the one that's being alluded to (and having had a fantastic time), the majority of problems were created by passengers.   Of course, for some, mask wearing is difficult thus making them exempt, but some very vocal passengers just refusing to wear them, ignoring any form of distancing or squeezing into lifts.   Cases of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".   Virtuosa, at the end of a day, is a 181,500t, 331m long ship with 12 restaurants.

Cruise lines have made tremendous progress to allow holidays to re-start, but they were always going to have to rely to an extent on passengers to do their bit too, not least making a conscientious decision whether their health, age or logistics was worth a holiday, knowing that covid hasn't suddenly disappeared.   

All I can say is the passengers who caught Covid (it is alleged 3 died from Covid and a fourth died but may not have been Covid on that cruise) actually needed that cruise line to protect them and not allow some passengers to abuse rules. 

Don't you think ?

The fact is the victims of Covid on that ship may not necessarily be the same ones who were breaking the rules?

29 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

All I can say is the passengers who caught Covid (it is alleged 3 died from Covid and a fourth died but may not have been Covid on that cruise) actually needed that cruise line to protect them and not allow some passengers to abuse rules. 

Don't you think ?

The fact is the victims of Covid on that ship may not necessarily be the same ones who were breaking the rules?

Cruise lines can only do so much - testing, insurance, mask wearing, hand washing / sanitising, visible and audible reminders - they aren't the police any more than supermarket security guards are.   In the majority of cases, these passengers are grown ups, capable of making their own decisions and weighing up the overall risks.  I can understand entirely why many people, both long-time cruisers and newly interested, would be horrified by the idea of taking a cruise at the moment.   But to put all onus on cruise lines / crew when - at the time of that particular MSC cruise, the rate of infection was 1/70 in England and 1/45 in Scotland - is unrealistic, irrespective of the company involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, showingdiva said:

Cruise lines can only do so much - testing, insurance, mask wearing, hand washing / sanitising, visible and audible reminders - they aren't the police any more than supermarket security guards are.   In the majority of cases, these passengers are grown ups, capable of making their own decisions and weighing up the overall risks.  I can understand entirely why many people, both long-time cruisers and newly interested, would be horrified by the idea of taking a cruise at the moment.   But to put all onus on cruise lines / crew when - at the time of that particular MSC cruise, the rate of infection was 1/70 in England and 1/45 in Scotland - is unrealistic, irrespective of the company involved.

Shouldn't it be a joint enterprise between cruise line and passenger, on the understanding that crew and passengers are living in a closed community, not just popping into the supermarket?

I'm not 100% sure that a lot of people are very good at risk assessment.  Many people choose not to wear masks, thus increasing the risk of passing the virus to other people. Equally, many over estimate what the vax alone can achieve and think they are virtually immune or won't be ill if they do catch the Virus

In an ideal world people would use all mitigations available to them.

Due to the nature of the closed community on board ship, it's even more vital that everyone plays their part in protecting themselves and each other. It's in the cruise ship's interest to keep Covid infections down, so perhaps they have a duty to police the protocols, to protect everyone on board.

Unless it's ;left to the passengers to police it, which is less than optimum. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, BestGuessed said:

Hi, Thank you for the update - very useful.  

One question about the 3 Main Dining Restaurants. Can you book them in advance?  Say to dine at 7PM?  Recently I was on Princess Cruises and they let you book a time slot for the main restaurants rather than queueing for hours or waiting for a pager that never goes off!

What is the onboard WiFi like?  What package do you have?

Edited by Mrk2868

2 minutes ago, Mrk2868 said:

Hi, Thank you for the update - very useful.  

One question about the 3 Main Dining Restaurants. Can you book them in advance?  Say to dine at 7PM?  Recently I was on Princess Cruises and they let you book a time slot for the main restaurants rather than queueing for hours or waiting for a pager that never goes off!

On our recent Iona staycation you could book MDR dining slots in advance via the app.

Hello again …. firstly to answer Mrk2868 …. No you cannot book a time/table in either of the two MDR’s unless you want to eat at 6pm or 6.15pm.  You have to join a virtual queue via the app when you are ready to eat or a little before you are ready.   The alternative is to go to the desk and if there are no tables available at that time you will be given a pager.  

With regard to wifi, we started with the standard package but after two days we upgraded to premium as the wifi is very poor.
All I can say is the premium package works “adequately” !!

Secondly, as promised,  I asked about whether the Freedom Dining system that is operating at present is here to stay and I have been told “No” … (thank goodness for that!!).  
Apparently they had hoped to have resumed Club Dining by the time the international cruises started but they are still using the Oriental restaurant for staff dining to enable social distancing which has meant they only have Meridian and Peninsular restaurants available for guests at present, hence this system.
So from what I learned, Club Dining will eventually be brought back but not just yet.

It’s a bit vague, I know, but the good news is that the Freedom Dining system isn’t set to be permanent from what I was told.

Something else I will add here is that there are massive queues today to get into The Live Lounge to take advantage of the free wifi the ship is providing for the purpose of completing the PLF.   

My husband’s advice is that anyone who struggles with IT should perhaps ask someone at home to set up the account before you leave to make it simpler once on board.

He set ours up before we left home so that all he had to do was log into the account and finalise the details using this iPad but using our personal email addresses.   

It was quick and fairly easy process because he had completed everything he could do beforehand, while still at home. 

The problem is, that if on future cruises Passenger Locator Forms are still required and you haven’t purchased a wifi package and haven’t got a 4G enabled phone, you will have to queue to use the facility the ship is providing unless you are able to find some free wifi when ashore.

Forewarned is forearmed so hope this might help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your insight into the current state of Britannia.We are booked on the re-positioning cruise to the Caribbean on Oct 22nd.

We are also cruise virgins which may well work in our favour as we have no experience of pre-pandemic cruising to compare it with.

It's perhaps why our expectations are reasonably realistic - we're quite looking forward to two weeks mooching about doing not much.

If there are queues for dining we'll just head off for a few more drinks until things ease off - we'd be quite happy enjoying our meal after just about everyone else has been and gone.

We're quite looking forward to not having WiFi as well for the entire trip apart from days in port when we can pick up roaming - the daily packages seem very expensive for having the privilege of people still being able to bother us !

Most of all we can't get over the exceptional value of 15 nights in an outside cabin with clear-view balcony and a return flight to the UK for £950pp.

That's around £60 a day each for unlimited food and entertainment and use of the free facilities while crossing the Atlantic in luxury which is extraordinary value for money.

Putting up with a few inconveniences such as no independent shore visits on some of the Caribbean islands and some inevitable  queuing and mask-wearing instructions seems to us a small price to pay.

We're interested to know how many people will be venturing on Britannia's first return to TA sailing since the pandemic.

We are hugely looking forward to it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BestGuessed said:

The problem is, that if on future cruises Passenger Locator Forms are still required and you haven’t purchased a wifi package and haven’t got a 4G enabled phone, you will have to queue to use the facility the ship is providing unless you are able to find some free wifi when ashore.

You can now complete your PLF up to 19 days in advance of your refurn date to the UK, so the PLF can be completed before you start your cruise. 

In fact, Princess are checking that the PLF has been completed when you embark. It would make sense if P&O did the same.

• Like 2

For main dining you don't actually have to queue 

When you are about 45 mins from wanting to dine just use the app on the phone to join the virtual queue and you will be able to walk right in

Once you reach the front of the virtual queue you get a message to head to the restaurant but you have another 15 mins to get there 

It's easy. 

Plus if it took you longer than 15 mins I'm sure the table will still be waiting 

Just join the queue whilst in your room getting ready. Or in the bar or in a show

Book shows days in advance. You can always cancel or change 

You are right it's incredible value 

6 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

When you are about 45 mins from wanting to dine just use the app on the phone to join the virtual queue and you will be able to walk right in

Two issues here. 

1. Complete lack of spontaneity. (Book shows days in advance - really!)

2.  You need a smart phone (or to be bothered carrying one about with you on what is after all supposed to be a holiday).

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Two issues here. 

1. Complete lack of spontaneity. (Book shows days in advance - really!)

2.  You need a smart phone (or to be bothered carrying one about with you on what is after all supposed to be a holiday).

I agree on both counts - they will be showing us 14 days menus next and asking us to prebook all our evening meals. This business of needing a smartphone and pre-booking things is killing it a bit for us.

• Like 4