Jump to content

No Cruising In New Zealand Before October 2022 :(


Recommended Posts

From Cruise Passenger:

 

No Cruising In New Zealand Before October 2022, Association Reveals

Anyone looking to cruise to New Zealand this season is out of luck – there are no plans to resume cruising into New Zealand until late next year at the earliest.

 

 Cruising will not resume into New Zealand until the nation has achieved its 90 per cent vaccination rate, which is well above Australia’s target of 80 per cent before international borders re-open.
 

 The New Zealand Cruise Association Chief Executive Officer Kevin O’Sullivan told Cruise Passenger that cruising will not return to New Zealand until 90 per cent of New Zealanders have rolled up their sleeves and had their vaccination.
 

 “90 per cent of cruises are cancelled. The cruise lines are still booking but the cruises are being cancelled,” he said.
 

 Mr O’Sullivan said that the New Zealand cruise industry had not yet spoken to the Health Minister Chris Hipkins, and that talks were unlikely until the government’s desired vaccination rate was achieved – a mirror of the treatment being metered our to the industry body in Australia.....

 

Read More >

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have not seen anything about this on the New Zealand Cruise Association website https://newzealandcruiseassociation.com/news/ 

 

 

If this is the case, I cannot see cruising resuming here in New Zealand till the 2023/2024 season as its going to take at least another year before we get to 90% of New Zealanders vaccinated, and that is even if New Zealand can get 90% of New Zealanders vaccinated!

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

October 2022 is a year away. I'm pretty confident that NZ and Oz can hit their respective vaccination targets by then. It looks like Oz may hit 90% before the end of the year.

 

The 21/22 season is already a wipeout, so this really doesn't make much difference to a 22/23 season start.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I hope NZ can get the vax rates up for their own sakes but I couldn't see the major lines cruising until the 2022/23 season anyway.

I agree. For a while I have thought that our February 2022 NZ cruise didn't have much chance of going ahead, but after NZ's latest announcement, it is a 'dead duck'.  We now wait for Princess to cancel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Big blow to the NZ economy all those cruise pax not there during, pre and post cruises. Plus the NZ fresh food suppliers missing out on trade re the victualling of the ships in NZ Ports.  

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree. For a while I have thought that our February 2022 NZ cruise didn't have much chance of going ahead, but after NZ's latest announcement, it is a 'dead duck'.  We now wait for Princess to cancel.

And the Worldies cannot call in at NZ either. The 2022 Coral Princess Worldie does NZ, does it not?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And the Worldies cannot call in at NZ either. The 2022 Coral Princess Worldie does NZ, does it not?

Yes. The WC is on the Coral Princess. I am pretty sure the cruise before the WC goes to Tahiti and Hawaii and calls into NZ on the way back to Aust. This allows NZers to go on the Tahiti/Hawaii itinerary and others to join the ship to start their WC. I believe Princess sell the WC to NZers as Auckland to Auckland. If the NZ government keeps its ban on cruise ships until Oct 2022, that would cause a major re-adjustment of the WC - probably fly pax from NZ to Sydney for the cruise. However, I do not think the 2022 WC will go ahead. I booked on it ages ago, but have felt for the last 6-7 months that it is also a dead duck. Shortly after the 2023 WC went on sale I booked on it. I didn't jump on it immediately because my TA assured me that the 2022 WC would go ahead. Of course, in March or April this year, no-one knew what would happen. We still don't know for sure.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m waiting for my Antarctica cruise from Dunedin to be cancelled.

Ive already got plan C, but need them to cancel so I can transfer the deposit onto it.

Each week they delay it, the cruise sells out more and the prices go up!

Edited by gogo65
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/10/2021 at 12:53 AM, Kiwi_cruiser said:

From Cruise Passenger:

 

No Cruising In New Zealand Before October 2022, Association Reveals

Anyone looking to cruise to New Zealand this season is out of luck – there are no plans to resume cruising into New Zealand until late next year at the earliest.

 

 Cruising will not resume into New Zealand until the nation has achieved its 90 per cent vaccination rate, which is well above Australia’s target of 80 per cent before international borders re-open.
 

 The New Zealand Cruise Association Chief Executive Officer Kevin O’Sullivan told Cruise Passenger that cruising will not return to New Zealand until 90 per cent of New Zealanders have rolled up their sleeves and had their vaccination.
 

 “90 per cent of cruises are cancelled. The cruise lines are still booking but the cruises are being cancelled,” he said.
 

 Mr O’Sullivan said that the New Zealand cruise industry had not yet spoken to the Health Minister Chris Hipkins, and that talks were unlikely until the government’s desired vaccination rate was achieved – a mirror of the treatment being metered our to the industry body in Australia.....

 

Read More >

Really poor journalism. 

 

The health minister isn't Hipkins - its Andrew Little - Hipkins is the Covid Response minister. 

 

Small ship curising happened last season Heritage Expeditions did a full season except for Antarctica 

 

Ponant was turned back because they though lying about needing to arrive in Auckland for maintenance was a good approach  to ask for an exemption. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, NSWP said:

Big blow to the NZ economy all those cruise pax not there during, pre and post cruises. Plus the NZ fresh food suppliers missing out on trade re the victualling of the ships in NZ Ports.  

My mum who lives just out of Auckland said a couple of years ago that when a cruise ship docks in Auckland it brings in 1 Million dollars revenue for the economy around there. That a lot of $$$ to miss out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, icat2000 said:

My mum who lives just out of Auckland said a couple of years ago that when a cruise ship docks in Auckland it brings in 1 Million dollars revenue for the economy around there. That a lot of $$$ to miss out. 

Last summer it wasn't that bad because locals filled the gap to a large extent. But now we've got Auckland locked down and  masks everywhere I'm sure i'm not the only one who are going out far less than I did last year - even though I'm allowed to travel as I live outside of Akl.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2021 at 11:01 PM, Kiwi_cruiser said:

I have not seen anything about this on the New Zealand Cruise Association website https://newzealandcruiseassociation.com/news/ 

 

 

If this is the case, I cannot see cruising resuming here in New Zealand till the 2023/2024 season as its going to take at least another year before we get to 90% of New Zealanders vaccinated, and that is even if New Zealand can get 90% of New Zealanders vaccinated!

Why is the NZ vax rate going up so slowly? 

 

The ACT hit 98% first dose today, for those age 12+, and is expected to be 90%+ double dosed inside of 2 weeks.  Granted, the ACT is a small & highly urbanised jurisdiction, without any of the lunatic anti-vax idiots making trouble in Vic & NSW - but surely if the ACT can do it in 8 months, it shouldn't take NZ 20 months to get there?

 

I fully support the NZ Govt, in refusing to open the borders until 90% of the population is vaccinated.  It makes a lot more sense than the Aus Govt's 80% of the 16+ population (i.e. ~60% of the total population).  I'm just wondering why your vax program is so slow?  Australia's was badly run from the start, but numbers have really risen steeply since the start of September.  I would have expected the same from NZ.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Why is the NZ vax rate going up so slowly? 

 

The ACT hit 98% first dose today, for those age 12+, and is expected to be 90%+ double dosed inside of 2 weeks.  Granted, the ACT is a small & highly urbanised jurisdiction, without any of the lunatic anti-vax idiots making trouble in Vic & NSW - but surely if the ACT can do it in 8 months, it shouldn't take NZ 20 months to get there?

 

I fully support the NZ Govt, in refusing to open the borders until 90% of the population is vaccinated.  It makes a lot more sense than the Aus Govt's 80% of the 16+ population (i.e. ~60% of the total population).  I'm just wondering why your vax program is so slow?  Australia's was badly run from the start, but numbers have really risen steeply since the start of September.  I would have expected the same from NZ.

The reason the overall Australian vaccination rate has gone up so quickly is because NSW, VIC and the ACT all had major outbreaks and people there all suddenly decided it might be a good idea to get vaccinated immediately.

 

Vaccination rates in most of the other states are worse than NZ's.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Why is the NZ vax rate going up so slowly? 

 

The ACT hit 98% first dose today, for those age 12+, and is expected to be 90%+ double dosed inside of 2 weeks.  Granted, the ACT is a small & highly urbanised jurisdiction, without any of the lunatic anti-vax idiots making trouble in Vic & NSW - but surely if the ACT can do it in 8 months, it shouldn't take NZ 20 months to get there?

 

I fully support the NZ Govt, in refusing to open the borders until 90% of the population is vaccinated.  It makes a lot more sense than the Aus Govt's 80% of the 16+ population (i.e. ~60% of the total population).  I'm just wondering why your vax program is so slow?  Australia's was badly run from the start, but numbers have really risen steeply since the start of September.  I would have expected the same from NZ.

A certain demographic listening to misinformation, perhaps?🤔

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to see the government open up the borders on a state by state basis, and only for residents of each state. That might encourage a few of the other states to up their vaccination rates.. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The reason the overall Australian vaccination rate has gone up so quickly is because NSW, VIC and the ACT all had major outbreaks and people there all suddenly decided it might be a good idea to get vaccinated immediately.

 

Vaccination rates in most of the other states are worse than NZ's.

Not quite so sure the outbreak changed anyone's mind here in the ACT, as we were having getting high vax rates but a limited supply well before the outbreak

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I fear a massive covid case surge in States that have unlocked and we will have to live like UK and USA, wear the cases and deaths, look at the uk and usa stats peeps, that could be us in a month.

Edited by NSWP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I fear a massive covid case surge in States that have unlocked and we will have to live like UK and USA, wear the cases and deaths, look at the uk and usa stats peeps, that could be us in a month.

Based on the UK rolling average that could put NSW at 3500+ cases a day. Let's hope it doesn't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Based on the UK rolling average that could put NSW at 3500+ cases a day. Let's hope it doesn't. 

Watch this space.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

Why is the NZ vax rate going up so slowly?

 

That is a very good question!

First I think it was because New Zealand was about to run out of pfizer Vaccine, then we got enough just in time! and this this happened for a second time! then we got enough just in time!

The Māori are not helping things......

Also By The Bay is correct about misinformation.

 

Also Anti Vax causes are not helping things.
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, numbers will most probably go through the roof in NSW but hey we can't be locked up for ever. Vaccination rates are now good so this is the only way forward and for cruising.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't agree, the vax rates are good but they are still not great.

70% fully vaxed for 15+ is only just over 54% of the population.Of course this 70% is an average and some areas are much lower.

 

I think there are many ways to move forward which can remove some restrictions  but still protect the vulnerable (those who are unvaccinated but want to be), without just throwing open the doors n the state at this stage.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I think NSW should have remained in lockdown for another 3 months. People will be going beserk in the coming weeks too much interaction.  Qld Premier is urging Queenslanders to get vaccinated in the next 6 weeks, does that mean Qld might reopen their border on 1 November? Who knows.🤐

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...