Jump to content

Borrowing jacket


SSCAF001
 Share

Recommended Posts

I will become permanent traveller starting summer 2022 and was wondering whether it is possible to "borrow" a jacket certain evenings for dinner. I know that I can go to Hot Rocks or Spaccanapoli, because theses locations are always casual, but I would like also to enjoy more formal atmosphere. I will have no problem to travel with a black trouser, a white shirt and a bow tie but it will definitely not be possible to carry a jacket with me just for the sake of using it a few evenings per year. Thanks for your advices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On "Informal" evenings (the most common of the three) you can go casual at La Terrazza.

 

I generally wear my jacket in transit, and then hang it up when I arrive at various destinations (hotels, ships, etc.)  This saves space in packing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SSCAF001 said:

Thanks but as mentioned I will travel full time and around the world without jacket. 

 

Understood.  But I would never travel for an extended period without a jacket.  Over the years, I have enjoyed several unexpected encounters with people that led to invitations (in one case to a rather fancy diplomatic event) that required a jacket. I would very much have regretted missing such events for want of a jacket.

 

Needless to say, to each his/her own.  🙂

 

Edited by Observer
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a fan of Bluffworks gramercy jackets - they look good (not like a travel jacket), are very packable and machine wash. I take one on basically every trip, cruise or not. They also have awesome zippered internal security pockets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SSCAF001 said:

I will become permanent traveller starting summer 2022 and was wondering whether it is possible to "borrow" a jacket certain evenings for dinner. I know that I can go to Hot Rocks or Spaccanapoli, because theses locations are always casual, but I would like also to enjoy more formal atmosphere. I will have no problem to travel with a black trouser, a white shirt and a bow tie but it will definitely not be possible to carry a jacket with me just for the sake of using it a few evenings per year. Thanks for your advices.

Hello future permanent traveler!  Husband and I are going this route starting between January 2022-March 2022. Total Nomads!!  All depends when we get everything sold and done.  We will have no home, just a "home base" at either daughters house or sons house where we will keep important papers and that's about it.  We are allowing ourselves one backpack and one suitcase each.  He will not be bringing a jacket either.  We plan to fly or take repo cruises to get from one continent to another,  and we have thought of this.  We plan to either have him one borrow one ( we have heard of them being avail) or just not dine formally.

One suitcase filled with clothing needed to hike Patagonia and live in a beach town a month later is a true packing challenge!!

We're very excited.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, kimanjo said:

Hello future permanent traveler!  Husband and I are going this route starting between January 2022-March 2022. Total Nomads!!  All depends when we get everything sold and done.  We will have no home, just a "home base" at either daughters house or sons house where we will keep important papers and that's about it.  We are allowing ourselves one backpack and one suitcase each.  He will not be bringing a jacket either.  We plan to fly or take repo cruises to get from one continent to another,  and we have thought of this.  We plan to either have him one borrow one ( we have heard of them being avail) or just not dine formally.

One suitcase filled with clothing needed to hike Patagonia and live in a beach town a month later is a true packing challenge!!

We're very excited.

Same for us. We will empty our appartement in Switzerland and have it rented for some years. We should have one suitcase each plus a medium backbag as a carry on. We intend to do some repo as well! Nice to read that it seems possible to borrow jackets on board SS ships. Where did you get this information? Thanks and enjoy the preparation of your long vacation around the world!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SSCAF001 said:

Same for us. We will empty our appartement in Switzerland and have it rented for some years. We should have one suitcase each plus a medium backbag as a carry on. We intend to do some repo as well! Nice to read that it seems possible to borrow jackets on board SS ships. Where did you get this information? Thanks and enjoy the preparation of your long vacation around the world!!!

I don't remember where I read it.  We've been devouring Youtube videos, Blogs, and any other source of information of how we can do this nomad thing, and I read it in passing. I'll try and remember the source.

We are in the final stretch of getting things in order.  We at one time owned 5 investment homes, plus our own home.  We are down to one investment home ( which we are selling in December) and our home, selling right after Christmas. Then that's it!  Just a matter where we start 1st. Somewhere in South America.  Staying in one city per month.  Wherever suits our fancy.  People either are jealous or think we're crazy.  Split about 50/50. Not sure if you get the same reactions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SSCAF001 said:

I will become permanent traveller starting summer 2022 and was wondering whether it is possible to "borrow" a jacket certain evenings for dinner. I know that I can go to Hot Rocks or Spaccanapoli, because theses locations are always casual, but I would like also to enjoy more formal atmosphere. I will have no problem to travel with a black trouser, a white shirt and a bow tie but it will definitely not be possible to carry a jacket with me just for the sake of using it a few evenings per year. Thanks for your advices.

I think the best way to get you answer (making sure it’s true or not) give a call to SS or your TA for information.  That’s then only way your know for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a specific reason you are cruising on Silversea?  All luxury cruise lines are somewhat formal and its my understanding that Silversea is the most formal.   We have no issue with more formal dress, its actually a positive for SS to us.   Considering not having a jacket is so important to you maybe a less formal cruise line would be better.   If you are set on Silversea there appear to be many not formal options (including room service) and I'm sure someone would be willing to lend you a sportscoat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How about a lightweight hopsack blazer “ranger rolled” (you can google the process).  It would fit in your backpack.  My son did this while backpacking & it worked great.  Also, there are ways to

fold a blazer so that it takes up very little room and doesn’t wrinkle.  Just a suggestion. 

 

 

Edited by cece50
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well goodness me how dare you consider travelling the world without a jacket and worse to have the temerity to consider travelling on Silversea without one!  😄   Dont worry my husband left our cabin on formal night on one ship wearing just a white shirt, bow tie and dark trousers, we were immediately accosted by our butler who said if necessary he could find a jacket for my husband to wear.   How fantastic to leave behind your old lifestyle and travel the world. I envy you your proposed peripatetic future and am sure you will have a wonderful time even on SS!!   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Is there a specific reason you are cruising on Silversea?  All luxury cruise lines are somewhat formal and its my understanding that Silversea is the most formal.   We have no issue with more formal dress, its actually a positive for SS to us.   Considering not having a jacket is so important to you maybe a less formal cruise line would be better.   If you are set on Silversea there appear to be many not formal options (including room service) and I'm sure someone would be willing to lend you a sportscoat.

Yes. We love Silversea and like formal evening. Hence my question trying to figure out whether there is a possibility of travelling without a jacket but still being able to enjoy formal evenings! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, labrasett said:

Well goodness me how dare you consider travelling the world without a jacket and worse to have the temerity to consider travelling on Silversea without one!  😄   Dont worry my husband left our cabin on formal night on one ship wearing just a white shirt, bow tie and dark trousers, we were immediately accosted by our butler who said if necessary he could find a jacket for my husband to wear.   How fantastic to leave behind your old lifestyle and travel the world. I envy you your proposed peripatetic future and am sure you will have a wonderful time even on SS!!   

Thank you so much!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, cece50 said:

How about a lightweight hopsack blazer “ranger rolled” (you can google the process).  It would fit in your backpack.  My son did this while backpacking & it worked great.  Also, there are ways to

fold a blazer so that it takes up very little room and doesn’t wrinkle.  Just a suggestion. 

 

 

Thanks for this advice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

I think the best way to get you answer (making sure it’s true or not) give a call to SS or your TA for information.  That’s then only way your know for sure.

Yes. I will ask my Travel advisor at Silversea. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, kimanjo said:

Not sure if you get the same reactions?

More or less, yes. So we take a lot of precautions before informing our families and friends!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

Wonderful to read your comments about travel and formal nights. I also start, hopefully,  constant travels soon for next several years. Packing is a challenge,  as well as electronic items. Any advice appreciated.  

I really enjoy www.onebag.com -have learned a lot from that. 
 

Unbound Merino has just announced a womens line. DW just pre ordered and plans to use these for our independent, lightweight travels in Greece. https://unboundmerino.com/pages/womens-line-coming-soon
 

I love bluffworks, especially their trousers (can wear them for any occasion from hiking to a dinner) and sports jackets. DW doesn’t like their womens line though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On our last SS trip in September one of the gentleman forgot his jacket in the cabin.  The Restaurant was so kind and said there was no need to run back to the cabin and provided one. They said it was acceptable to just hang it on the back of the chair.  This was an Alaskan cruise with 1/3 of the normal passengers. Things were very casual in general. On another night one of the gentleman had jeans on during post excursion cocktails. We joked that perhaps the restaurant could provide a pair of dress pant that he could lay atop his jeans so he didn’t have to stop at the cabin to change. One night he wore a rather jaunty fashion fedora to cocktails. It was quite the hit until we got to the restaurant and forgot to remove it. Ooops. We are probably on a "No Sail" list now.  For the record we did dress appropriately on all other occasions, even coats, ties and cocktail dresses when not required. Just having a bit of fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My take on the OPs question is that, even though he knows what the rules and protocols are for SS, he doesn't want to bring or wear a jacket.  There certainly won't be a lack of dining choices for someone going this route but it appears that that the protocols aren't what he's hoping for.  My suggestion would be to pack and send a jacket in advance to the ship so that it is available in the cabin on embarkation day. The pesky thing could be discarded at the end of the cruise without all the angst of packing issues. Problem solved.....if that really is the problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, rojaan19 said:

It always amazes me the  number of people who  think  the rules dont apply to  them !!

It always amazes me the number of people who are not able to read and understand a basic question!!

This is explicitly because I want to follow the rules that I have asked whether it was possible to borrow a jacket for formal evenings. I have never mentioned that I intended to attend a formal dinner without a jacket. I want to follow the rules. Next time please take a moment before writing your comment!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, fizzy said:

My take on the OPs question is that, even though he knows what the rules and protocols are for SS, he doesn't want to bring or wear a jacket.  There certainly won't be a lack of dining choices for someone going this route but it appears that that the protocols aren't what he's hoping for.  My suggestion would be to pack and send a jacket in advance to the ship so that it is available in the cabin on embarkation day. The pesky thing could be discarded at the end of the cruise without all the angst of packing issues. Problem solved.....if that really is the problem.

Sorry but you have not read my question properly : I have never mentioned that I do not want to wear a jacket. Knowing that I want to follow the rule and wear a jacket and knowing that I may be in a situation where I will not have one with me, I was just asking whether it was possible to borrow one on board. I think it's an easy question and even if English is not my mother tongue, I think it was understandable. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, SSCAF001 said:

It always amazes me the number of people who are not able to read and understand a basic question!!

This is explicitly because I want to follow the rules that I have asked whether it was possible to borrow a jacket for formal evenings. I have never mentioned that I intended to attend a formal dinner without a jacket. I want to follow the rules. Next time please take a moment before writing your comment!

AND  I was replying to  Fizzys post,  which is the post right before mine !!

 

"My take on the OPs question is that, even though he knows what the rules and protocols are for SS, he doesn't want to bring or wear a jacket.  There certainly won't be a lack of dining choices for someone going this route but it appears that that the protocols aren't what he's hoping for. "

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2021
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Enjoy the Gift of Travel with Regent Seven Seas Cruises
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...