The Key

RhondaC

I'm considering buying The Key, since the price is only $16.99pp for our cruise.  Voom alone makes it worth it!

It says priority embarkation -- does that mean that we can show up at the earliest time in the morning?  Or would we still have to show up at our assigned time?

Thank you!! 🙂

You still have to show up at assigned time but you will get an hour each way I believe. Right now suites and pinnacles have an hour leeway. That will be the deal for Key holders. So if you snag a 12:30 check-in, if the ship is ready you can board by 11:30. But you won't be able to show up at 10:30 or whatever the earliest time is.

• Like 1

I just did my check in for my Nov 14th Anthem cruise. 

I purchased the Key a few weeks ago when i purchased the dining and beverage packages. 

When I checked in I got a 2:00 pm boarding time. 

I called to see if that could be moved earlier, because otherwise I'd miss the lunch and also, the Key is supposed to give priority boarding. 

I'm on the phone with them now and they're checking with their team, but they're saying there's  no lunch and no early boarding and they're literally arguing with me that that's not what the program is and reading something else completely. But I have the website up, where you buy it and it still says.

"Summary of your benefits:
• Priority check-in and boarding on Day 1. Upon arrival at the terminal, follow The Key check-in signage to your designated check-in area.
• Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off your carry-on bags in the Main Dining Room until 1:30pm.
• Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille Lunch menu. Seating is from 11:30am – 1:30pm."

I know it's a pandemic and things can change, but it's a very expensive add on to lose two of the best benefits. And they're still advertising it as this is what you get!

The accommodation is free room service (I don't use it) and a discount on all on-board dining, but I already bought unlimited dining so that isn't helpful.  

Please don't pile on me, I'm not complaining about it changing, just that they didn't notify. They were just going to charge me and have me show up to not have those benefits? And right now on the website they are still selling The Key saying it's all these things that it isn't. 

They just came back on the line and said that yes, it's changed and that's just how it is. So I cancelled. I'll just buy vrooom. the other things don't make it worth $350 for 2 people. 

6 hours ago, ampurp85 said:

You still have to show up at assigned time but you will get an hour each way I believe. Right now suites and pinnacles have an hour leeway. That will be the deal for Key holders. So if you snag a 12:30 check-in, if the ship is ready you can board by 11:30. But you won't be able to show up at 10:30 or whatever the earliest time is.

This is not accurate.  

You get priority (line jumping) within your arrival time period only, not an hour leeway.

4 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Several reports here on CC in the last week that the Key was canceled after being purchased.

Which ships have been cancelling The Key in the last week?

They cancelled some in the beginning of the return to sailing, but I haven't seen any reports of cancelling since they recently changed the program.

34 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Which ships have been cancelling The Key in the last week?

They cancelled some in the beginning of the return to sailing, but I haven't seen any reports of cancelling since they recently changed the program.

CC members have stated in the past week their key purchases were canceled.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2806259-key-unavailable/

10 minutes ago, clochette said:

I have seen new language for the key and lunch was no longer included instead it was free room service of course now I cannot find it and when I check the key on my sailing it gives me the old info with lunch on arrival.

How do you check the Key for  a specific sailing? I only see it when I get a cruise planner email. If I pull up “plan my cruise”, I get dining, beverages, gifts, etc, but no Key. 
I had purchased it for 19.99 per day for my canceled cruise last year, but of course lost that price. 
If it doesn’t cost much more than Voom by itself, the no charge room service would be worth it. To me!

14 minutes ago, clochette said:

I have seen new language for the key and lunch was no longer included instead it was free room service of course now I cannot find it and when I check the key on my sailing it gives me the old info with lunch on arrival.

There's a thread with the updated benefits here:

1 minute ago, jagsfan said:

How do you check the Key for  a specific sailing? I only see it when I get a cruise planner email. If I pull up “plan my cruise”, I get dining, beverages, gifts, etc, but no Key. 
I had purchased it for 19.99 per day for my canceled cruise last year, but of course lost that price. 
If it doesn’t cost much more than Voom by itself, the no charge room service would be worth it. To me!

It's under the "Internet & More" tab on the Cruise Planner if it's available for your cruise.

2 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

it is under internet and gifts

5 minutes ago, clochette said:

it is under internet and gifts

I just looked again. Internet only shows Surf and Stream and just Surf.
Maybe for Harmony March 27, it’s not available yet. 
But when I get a cruise planner email, the Key is there. 

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

It could be not available yet, or be sold out for your cruise. 

The Cruise Planner emails are generic sales flyers, not specific to each individual sailing. 

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

It's listed as it's own tab on my Symphony sailing for next summer.  (between INTERNET and ONBOARD ACTIVITIES)

3 hours ago, brillohead said:

I'm going by what actual cruisers have experienced.  

Most of the reps have never set foot on a cruise ship.

I haven't actually read from a cruiser who has experienced the Key recently though.

That being said it is pretty crappy to only have priority boarding during your scheduled time. That basically means if it is 3pm, you just get to go in front of the other 3pm folks. On the newer/amped ships the Key is $20+.....this makes it the worst "deal."

Hello all

i just cancelled my key.

I wanted it for the early arrival time and the welcome lunch.

But the verbiage changed about the boarding and I believe it’s in my best interest not to line jump in front of people waiting in the Florida sun.

Does anyone know how the boarding time is assigned for people who are not VIP club members and are not staying in the suites?

Thank You

I have it for the 11/20 Odyssey. 
Im sad about Chops cancellation. RC states Covid safety protocols but…they will open it that same night. Makes no sense. 

I am Still going to keep it for the priority boarding and exclusive times for other attractions.