I Can’t Take it Anymore…..

Duffysmom

Princess has a multi million dollar investment in the Medallion.   It is not going away.   IMHO  They tried to fix something that wasn't broken.  Some folks apparently like.  I am just off the Majestic and I hated it.   While on board there was an announcement for a class explaining how to use it.   Now seriously who wants to do that on vacation?   The phone app is worthless as is the interactive TV.  I think all this was developed by the folks who developed New Coke and the Obamacare website. 

Edited by joeyancho
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Duffysmom said:

Is it possible to sail without the medallion?

Yes you can.  They are supposed to bring back many of the features that they took off the Princess web site in November?  You can also request an old fashion card onboard.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Duffysmom said:

Is it possible to sail without the medallion?

You will want to print your travel summary. It's up by where you print your luggage tags. Then take all of your check in documents that you have used in the past. I used it twice late 2019 on the Royal Princess and it worked great. Good luck. I use an iPhone.

I found the Medallion app not worth messing with. I ultimately got it squared away, but wish I had given up much sooner (due to many hours wasted). I had no problem with the medallion on board (it's the same as a cruise card) and I liked that I didn't have to get it out of my pocket except at port. I agree with @CineGraphic; bring your documentation and travel summary to embarkation and they will get you on board.

In my experience, the onboard functions of the app worked much better than the pre-cruise functions. I am grateful they are bringing back the online check-in at some point because the pre-cruise portion is unnecessarily difficult as is.

• Like 5

I didn't have as much issue with the app as some seem to be.  I don't know what the problem is some are having.  I ordered drinks and food all the time no problems.  The token part works fine to get in room and order drinks out of the room.  

If they offered to teach you how to use something you don't understand I can't see passing an opportunity to learn.  I doubt it's a long lesson and you'll be happy knowing how to use it instead of just being pissed and frustrated not knowing what you're doing.  Get a beer and sit there.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, trey420 said:

If they offered to teach you how to use something you don't understand I can't see passing an opportunity to learn.

They can't teach you how to use something that doesn't. It doesn't matter that it worked for you, it doesn't work for lots of us, and for the most part, it's not due to user error.

The app insists I need to enter my credit card info even though it's shown, and my wife has a green check-mark as an authorized user. I've tried on an iphone running the latest operating system, and on a new ipad.

Nothing works. I can't pre-book any specialty dining thanks to this snafu.....thankfully the ship will be mostly empty, so I should be able to eat just about anywhere I want to at any time, but what a huge freakin' waste of time  trying to get this poorly programmed app to work.

Edited by CineGraphic
  • Like 2

I called princess to deal with things on the app that wouldn't work for me.  They entered that info for me.  I couldn't book anything till very close to sailing.  If you'd rather not try and see if they can help you on the ship with the class that's your own choice.  

2 hours ago, trey420 said:

I didn't have as much issue with the app as some seem to be.  I don't know what the problem is some are having.  I ordered drinks and food all the time no problems.  The token part works fine to get in room and order drinks out of the room.  

Well, we couldn't order food and drinks and it turned out that the problem was our phones weren't "smart" enough. We didn't find this out until halfway through the cruise, and it was very frustrating. I guess if we want to enjoy that option on a future Princess cruise, we'll both have to buy new, smarter phones. (Or they could have a version of the app that isn't so bloated with graphics and works with less RAM, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that...)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, late2cruisin said:

Well, we couldn't order food and drinks and it turned out that the problem was our phones weren't "smart" enough. We didn't find this out until halfway through the cruise, and it was very frustrating. I guess if we want to enjoy that option on a future Princess cruise, we'll both have to buy new, smarter phones. (Or they could have a version of the app that isn't so bloated with graphics and works with less RAM, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that...)

I wouldn't buy anything to make a ridiculous abuse of technology work.  You do know that there are cruise lines out there that do not subject you to inadequate untested technology.  Cancel all of your booked Princess cruises and tell them what they can do with the medallion and w their ships.

DON

• Like 3

I wouldn't hold my breath for that either.  The app isn't at all some high graphics thing.  I have a note 8 and it worked.  My SO had a iPhone 4s and she had just upgraded when we cruised to a new iPhone.  I know that iPhone 4 wouldn't have worked.  I guess if you want to stay old school don't worry about the app.  Just go and use the medallion like a cruise card. Or take that other guys suggestion and find a new line.

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I wouldn't buy anything to make a ridiculous abuse of technology work.  You do know that there are cruise lines out there that do not subject you to inadequate untested technology.  Cancel all of your booked Princess cruises and tell them what they can do with the medallion and w their ships.

DON

Yes, I am well aware that other cruise lines (basically all of them) don't have this problem. This was our first Princess cruise and I really enjoyed it, except for this one thing. And I did tell them what I thought of it, in great detail, on my post-cruise survey. A few weeks after our Majestic cruise, we went on the Ovation (Royal Caribbean) and their app worked just fine with our stupid phones. No, we couldn't order food and drinks to be delivered to us in any location on the ship, but I was able to see menus, activities, shows and all the other things I needed. 

6 hours ago, trey420 said:

I wouldn't hold my breath for that either.  The app isn't at all some high graphics thing.  I have a note 8 and it worked.  My SO had a iPhone 4s and she had just upgraded when we cruised to a new iPhone.  I know that iPhone 4 wouldn't have worked.  I guess if you want to stay old school don't worry about the app.  Just go and use the medallion like a cruise card. Or take that other guys suggestion and find a new line.

Actually, I went to the help desk (kiosk) and talked to the young lady who was in charge of trouble-shooting these things. She is the one who told me that they had re-designed the app with more graphics and that it now wouldn't work on a phone with less than 4GB of RAM. Her phone only had 2 GB (like ours) and so it wouldn't even work on her phone! The problem is that if your iPhone won't support the app, it won't even load. With Android, you can load it and therefore you assume it will work, but no one tells you that your phone doesn't have enough RAM.  BTW, my  phone is about 2 years old, so I guess that makes me "old school".  

• Thanks 1

I just booked a last minute cruise on RCI and downloaded their navigator app.  It worked flawlessly.  I was able to take a self photo for boarding, a photo of my vaccination card, and it scanned my passport.  Easy beezy.

On my most recent Princess cruise, I gave up trying to get the Medallion app to work and just showed up at the pier with my papoerwork.  They processed me in, gave me a Medallion "coin" that I used like a sea pass card.

BTW, I used the same phone for both apps so that tells me it's not my phone, but their wonky app.

Classic case of what happens when the suits let the whiz bang kids sit at the big table.

• Like 6

I received a letter from guest services that I need to set up how my balance on the current cruise will be paid in order to disembark. I showed that shipboard account was completed on the app and green mark is still there as it was done initially - answer was that ship system does not have any information about it and I need to provide my credit card information to guest services.

another glitch with a “great” app😟

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I just booked a last minute cruise on RCI and downloaded their navigator app.  It worked flawlessly.  I was able to take a self photo for boarding, a photo of my vaccination card, and it scanned my passport.  Easy beezy.

On my most recent Princess cruise, I gave up trying to get the Medallion app to work and just showed up at the pier with my papoerwork.  They processed me in, gave me a Medallion "coin" that I used like a sea pass card.

BTW, I used the same phone for both apps so that tells me it's not my phone, but their wonky app.

Classic case of what happens when the suits let the whiz bang kids sit at the big table.

What time did you show up at the port?
I gave up on the app to so I think I will arrive early boarding time. 
what can they say??? I couldn’t chose a time, the app didn’t work…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, traceytd said:

What time did you show up at the port?
I gave up on the app to so I think I will arrive early boarding time. 
what can they say??? I couldn’t chose a time, the app didn’t work…

It was pre-Covid.  I just showed up at the pier around 12:00 and if memory serves I was in my cabin by 12:25.

The Medallion device worked well for opening the cabin door and I carried it in a small leather pouch in my pocket that I use for sea pass cards.  When I ordered a drink, I pulled it out and the server scanned it.  After a couple of nights at the same bar, the server recognized me and just wrote down my cabin number.

Why waste hours trying to make a wonky app work when you can accomplish the same results by just showing up at the pier with paperwork?

Do you recall Einstein's quote about insanity?

• Like 2