New Ontario Vaccine Receipts With QR

Fouremco

Starting today, the new receipts are available for download on a staggered basis depending on your DOB. There's a second page explaining the use of the proof of vaccination and the QR code. While this will be handy for Ontario purposes, I'm not sure that it is any more useful than the original receipts for cruises.

VAXPROOF.thumb.jpg.e3b2008b3fe99009838b9bd51d5e7ea9.jpg

I think their website crashed! 😲 I've been trying for the last three hours to get my husband's code (January birth date) and I keep getting a message that the site is down but they're working on it... try again later!   No big deal because we'll just continue using our printed vaccine receipts.

1 minute ago, hancogran said:

I think their website crashed! 😲 I've been trying for the last three hours to get my husband's code (January birth date) and I keep getting a message that the site is down but they're working on it... try again later!   No big deal because we'll just continue using our printed vaccine receipts.

Strange, as I downloaded both my DW's and mine about 30 minutes ago with zero wait time. Maybe they system had just come back up and it was lucky timing on my part.

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

Strange, as I downloaded both my DW's and mine about 30 minutes ago with zero wait time. Maybe they system had just come back up and it was lucky timing on my part.

Thank you for  posting that.    I will go try again. I basically gave up and thought I'd wait till later this afternoon.  Glad it worked for you and hope I have better luck!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

I understand photo ID is still required as well .... And the government is already talking about phasing them out! 

Yes, photo ID too. 

As for phasing out the requirement, does it really surprise you given the huge resistance to even looking at a passport system?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Starting today, the new receipts are available for download on a staggered basis depending on your DOB. There's a second page explaining the use of the proof of vaccination and the QR code. While this will be handy for Ontario purposes, I'm not sure that it is any more useful than the original receipts for cruises.

I downloaded it and then emailed myself a copy . Is there anything else to do with this ?

regards,

17 minutes ago, loman said:

Ontario released a new app (Verify Ontario) a couple of days ago to enable businesses to read the QR code, but to date hasn't released an app for storing the QR code. Whether this is still in the works or not I don't know, but in the mean time, keeping a copy elsewhere on your smartphone saves carrying around the printed sheet.

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

This looks perfectly acceptable as it has the dates and vaccine types - why could it not replace the receipts?  Or do they need to be able to 'read/access' the QR code to confirm?  In which case this would only be useful here/locally.

Would have to get the 'cruiselines' to download the Verify app! 🙂

...and now looks like those 'receipts' are no longer available!!!

Can I still use the vaccine receipt I have been using?

Yes, people can continue to use their current vaccine receipt if they prefer that. Businesses are required to accept that as proof of vaccination.

However, people can no longer download these receipts off the province’s online portal

Edited by Froufie

Just now, Froufie said:

This looks perfectly acceptable as it has the dates and vaccine types - why could it not replace the receipts?  Or do they need to be able to 'read/access' the QR code to confirm?  In which case this would only be useful here/locally.

It probably could substitute for the original, even though it lacks some of the information.  I simply said that "I'm not sure that it is any more useful than the original receipts for cruises."

AFAIK, the only QR reader that will work properly with this document is the Verify Ontario app released within the last couple of days. 

This probably won't work as easily for the Ontario QR code as released as it is a sheet of paper, but you may be able to invent something similar.

BC's QR code release is a credit card sized photo release and you just save it in photos in your phone.

To enter anywhere we have to bring up the photo and produce our DL or other photo ID. This can be rather cumbersome, even when getting everything in hand before leaving the car.

What we have done, and is being accepted (so far), is photocopy both our VaxQR and DL, places them back to back, then laminate them into one card the size of a credit card. Much easier to show.

I am wondering if these QR codes will at least be viable across Canada as BC's, at least, were developed using federal guidelines. One can only hope, and hope they will be good internationally eventually.

Cheers, h.

As an afterthought. BC has/is phased out the original card issued when jabbed for use in BC so I hope no one planning to travel cross province or internationally has discarded the original card.

Edited by middlehaitch

13 minutes ago, middlehaitch said:

This probably won't work as easily for the Ontario QR code as released as it is a sheet of paper, but you may be able to invent something similar.

BC's QR code release is a credit card sized photo release and you just save it in photos in your phone.

To enter anywhere we have to bring up the photo and produce our DL or other photo ID. This can be rather cumbersome, even when getting everything in hand before leaving the car.

What we have done, and is being accepted (so far), is photocopy both our VaxQR and DL, places them back to back, then laminate them into one card the size of a credit card. Much easier to show.

I am wondering if these QR codes will at least be viable across Canada as BC's, at least, were developed using federal guidelines. One can only hope, and hope they will be good internationally eventually.

Cheers, h.

As an afterthought. BC has/is phased out the original card issued when jabbed for use in BC so I hope no one planning to travel cross province or internationally has discarded the original card.

For now, I've simply photographed the QR code and stored it on my iPhone, then tested it with the Verify Ontario app. I will carry a copy of the document until I see whether businesses in. Quebec can read it.

@Fouremcodo let us know if you QR code works across provinces.

When ours first came out out of province and international travelers had to just show what they had available. That was early September though,  more provinces are going QR now so it may have changed.

(Not sure about now as I'm living a quiet life on the island.)

Cheers, h.

18 minutes ago, middlehaitch said:

@Fouremcodo let us know if you QR code works across provinces.

When ours first came out out of province and international travelers had to just show what they had available. That was early September though,  more provinces are going QR now so it may have changed.

(Not sure about now as I'm living a quiet life on the island.)

Cheers, h.

Will do.

• Thanks 1

The Ontario QR certificate is a joke. Why it took more than 3 weeks to deliver is a mystery. Only the Ontario app is able to interpret the QR code likely making it useless outside the province. Also makes it incompatible with other systems, so GOC will likely have more work creating it's international travel version.

Lack of a display app for Android is another irritant.

The only good thing is that the printed certificate includes on a single page the information necessary for cruise check-in.

Edited by broberts
  • Like 1

Just been doing some looking and both provinces are using the Smart Health Card QR code so one can hope they will, if not now, eventually be interlinked.

(sorry I havn't got the patience to check all provinces)

Privacy and your BC Vaccine Card

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/proof#required

Your QR code is not connected to other health records. B.C. is using the SMART Health Card QR code format, a requirement of the federal government. 

Ontario https://covid-19.ontario.ca/verify-privacy

The app will read SMART Health Card QR codes presented by individuals in order to verify that it is a legitimate government-issued code that has not been tampered with, and to confirm if an individual’s certificate shows they have been fully vaccinated. The app will, based on the reading of the QR code, notify users if an individual has been verified and is eligible to enter the premises. Use of the app is voluntary.

Cheers, h.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, middlehaitch said:

Just been doing some looking and both provinces are using the Smart Health Card QR code so one can hope they will, if not now, eventually be interlinked.

(sorry I havn't got the patience to check all provinces)

Privacy and your BC Vaccine Card

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/proof#required

Your QR code is not connected to other health records. B.C. is using the SMART Health Card QR code format, a requirement of the federal government. 

Ontario https://covid-19.ontario.ca/verify-privacy

The app will read SMART Health Card QR codes presented by individuals in order to verify that it is a legitimate government-issued code that has not been tampered with, and to confirm if an individual’s certificate shows they have been fully vaccinated. The app will, based on the reading of the QR code, notify users if an individual has been verified and is eligible to enter the premises. Use of the app is voluntary.

Cheers, h.

I'll be interested in seeing if Quebec, with the first passport app, used this format.

• Like 1

I thought I read the Ontario app will also read the QR codes from BC and Quebec? Nice for those visiting here I guess. I am glad I downloaded the two sheets before though, what do you put in the ArriveCan app? Doesn't it want both sheets? Hopefully it all works for my upcoming trip any way. 

28 minutes ago, broberts said:

I believe the web site indicates that the QR can be loaded into Apple health wallet.

The Apple Health app will accept the information, but to access the QR code you have to first open the app, find the vaccine folder, then dig down several levels to get to the code. It's not a viable replacement for a display app.

On the other hand, the privately developed grassroots app was so much better, as you placed the QR code in your Apple Wallet. You just opened the Wallet, tapped on the Vaccine Receipt and there was the QR code. Not only that, but with just two clicks I can call it up on on my Apple watch, no need to even get my iPhone out. Too bad Ontario didn't hire the developers of this far more user friendly system. Unfortunately, their solution was intended to be a stop-gap measure until Ontario got up and running and will expire on October 22.

Consequently, I'm waiting for an Ontario display app, just like you. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The Apple Health app will accept the information, but to access the QR code you have to first open the app, find the vaccine folder, then dig down several levels to get to the code. It's not a viable replacement for a display app.

On the other hand, the privately developed grassroots app was so much better, as you placed the QR code in your Apple Wallet. You just opened the Wallet, tapped on the Vaccine Receipt and there was the QR code. Not only that, but with just two clicks I can call it up on on my Apple watch, no need to even get my iPhone out. Too bad Ontario didn't hire the developers of this far more user friendly system. Unfortunately, their solution was intended to be a stop-gap measure until Ontario got up and running and will expire on October 22.

This is were all provinces and Federal government drop the ball, they should have working to together 

everyone knew that we would need a code to travel back in January 

10 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I put it into the health app , what a pain, I will keep a screen shot in photos