Issues with Royal Suites on Apex, true or no?

cunn9004

Extremely excited to have booked a bucket list cruise - Apex British Isles 2023.  We were torn between a Celebrity suite but in the end payed a bit more for a Royal.

Now I'm reading on FB some people saying that the Royals are problematic.  Nothing more specific other than the location being so far forward and right across from or next to Luminae.  

Can someone comment on this please as we could still move down to a Celebrity suite (moving up to a Villa suite is not an option).  

We almost booked the Royal right behind the wings (12102 which is now booked)  but decided it must block the view although perhaps it provides a nice wind and rain break.?  In the end we took 12105 - further from Luminae but closer to elevators.  

If you have been in a Royal on Apex (not sure if the location is the same on Edge) - would you book that class again?  Where there issues with location?  

As a side note - if anyone wants to pop in their recommendation for a hotel in Amsterdam - great.     

• Like 1

Our well cruised friends booked the RS on Edge and found it limited in the following ways…I assume the RS’s are the same on Apex.

Overhang on the balcony meant they hardly saw the sun. Also at night no stargazing. 

Balcony very small, chairs and small table only.

Chairs by the window looked nice but were uncomfortable.

Sinks in the bathroom again looked nice but were impractical.

Like us they had done several S class RS and did find the Edge RS far less enjoyable. However, they loved the ship and the Retreat Deck and would love to cruise on her or one of her sisters. They did say that on a future cruise they may book a Sky Suite and then buy a speciality dining package.

I don’t usually pass on second hand information but I am aware that RS queries on E class often have few responses. We are looking at booking an Edge class some time in the future but the balcony size and overhang are off putting. Again we may choose to book a standard Sky Suite in a good position rather than a RS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction - I had looked but hadn't found that post.  I'm not willing to pay $5,000 more for the Royal with bad reviews (small balcony, poor location, etc).  

I've also read that unlike an S or M class the Royal isn't really seen as an "upper" class suite - the person said for the first time they didn't get invited to any of the activities you might expect in a Royal.  Hearsay - may or may not be true.   

My excellent TA is moving us to a Celebrity suite.   We aren't big specialty diners so no big loss there and can always just buy a package.    

I love this site and the people always willing to help.  Thank you!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cunn9004 said:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction - I had looked but hadn't found that post.  I'm not willing to pay $5,000 more for the Royal with bad reviews (small balcony, poor location, etc).  

I've also read that unlike an S or M class the Royal isn't really seen as an "upper" class suite - the person said for the first time they didn't get invited to any of the activities you might expect in a Royal.  Hearsay - may or may not be true.   

My excellent TA is moving us to a Celebrity suite.   We aren't big specialty diners so no big loss there and can always just buy a package.    

You didn’t mention how recently the person you referred to sailed. I would suggest that the reason  they were not invited to any "expected activities" was actually due to Covid. X has suspended many social gatherings on board for the time being.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, cunn9004 said:

Extremely excited to have booked a bucket list cruise - Apex British Isles 2023.  We were torn between a Celebrity suite but in the end payed a bit more for a Royal.

Now I'm reading on FB some people saying that the Royals are problematic.  Nothing more specific other than the location being so far forward and right across from or next to Luminae.  

Can someone comment on this please as we could still move down to a Celebrity suite (moving up to a Villa suite is not an option).  

We almost booked the Royal right behind the wings (12102 which is now booked)  but decided it must block the view although perhaps it provides a nice wind and rain break.?  In the end we took 12105 - further from Luminae but closer to elevators.  

If you have been in a Royal on Apex (not sure if the location is the same on Edge) - would you book that class again?  Where there issues with location?  

As a side note - if anyone wants to pop in their recommendation for a hotel in Amsterdam - great.     

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm the one that booked 12102 but have switch it after thinking about the issue with the wing blocking the view. I am surprised that they made the balcony so small when compared to the M class ships for the RS, maybe they just want you to spend even more money for upgrading to an Icon?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cunn9004 said:

We stayed in a CS on Edge.  It was very nice.  The benefits are the same as a Sky suite but the room is bigger and it has an enclosed bedroom.  On EDGE and APEX the CS balconies are set up with two arm chairs (no footstools) and a small table with two chairs.  Our balcony was covered with an overhang.  Narrow.  No room for a lounger.

3 hours ago, cunn9004 said:

note - if anyone wants to pop in their recommendation for a hotel in Amsterdam - great.     

Hotel De L'Europe. One of two hotels (as of my last trip) that has balconies overlooking the canal. Great service, fantastic rooms and one of the largest breakfast spreads I've ever seen. 

Edge has the same layout and location.   I have traveled in 12102 and found it to be an excellent location and very quiet.    Would book again with no hesitation.

As for location, it is not as problematic as you may first think.  On the Edge Class ships they are more of a Ship on Ship concept and you will be spending a large portion of your time in The Retreat, Sundeck and Luminae - all of which are just steps away.

Elevators are also very close by

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, t18c97 said:

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm the one that booked 12102 but have switch it after thinking about the issue with the wing blocking the view. I am surprised that they made the balcony so small when compared to the M class ships for the RS, maybe they just want you to spend even more money for upgrading to an Icon?

We moved down one deck to a Celebrity suite 11109.  I will save the Royals for S or M class.  

I'll be checking roll calls - maybe we can touch base there.  

Jane

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brownc424 said:

Hotel De L'Europe. One of two hotels (as of my last trip) that has balconies overlooking the canal. Great service, fantastic rooms and one of the largest breakfast spreads I've ever seen. 

This, I’m not the OP, but I’m also looking for Amsterdam hotel recommendations- we are taking the same cruise in May 2022.

• Like 1

Greetings from New Zealand! 

In anticipation of emerging from our Covid chrysalis we have just booked a RS B2B on the Edge for 2024. Intrigued to see how this post unfolds. We changed from 12102 to 12108 because of the interconnecting door with the iconic suite. Probably no biggie but made the change anyway.

Thank you for your comments  @chemmo and @Jim_Iainobjective and informative as always. I had picked up on those pros and cons. For us the itineraries are all 'home ports' so it will be all about experiencing the Edge class at the pointy end of the ship🤞

Edited by Redking
Correction of tag

Here is a video tour of 12105 that was posted recently, maybe it will change your mind.

I have not sailed in a RS on an E class, but I have on Eclipse and there is a huge difference from a CS. The half bath was a big plus and the “bedroom”  and bathroom in the CS are really small. 

15 hours ago, cunn9004 said:

We've always stayed at the Movenpick when in Amsterdam for business or cruising... and sailed from a few yards away!  Very nice hotel, and if X is still using the same dock, you can roll your suitcase down 3/4 of a block and drop it at the luggage intake!  

We booked an S1 on Apex and was thinking of upgrading to an RS. I was a little disappointed by the balcony after looking at a Youtube review. We get a lot of use out of our balcony and it doesn't come close to the RS balcony on an M Class.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cangelmd said:

This, I’m not the OP, but I’m also looking for Amsterdam hotel recommendations- we are taking the same cruise in May 2022.

Like I said, I highly recommend this hotel. I will point out that it is not a budget option (my room with a balcony was over a thousand dollars a night), but it was spectacular. 

• Like 1

Thank you very much for starting this thread.  I was also very curious about the location and balconies in RS on Edge and Apex.  We booked RS for a Panama Canal cruise on Edge in March 2023.  I kept going back to look at the balcony and was very unsure.  It's a celebration cruise (dh's special birthday) and, after reading all these posts and doing yet another virtual tour, decided to break the bank and do the PS. 

Thanks to all who added great info. 

• Like 1

Although RS on the Edge class is a nice suite, it could have been nicer if they would have placed a full size balcony rather than the half-size one.  Wonder if they did a customer survey and found that customers prefer a larger cabin and a smaller balcony--I would be surprised if a majority of customers said that.

Also would have been nice if they would not have placed that huge overhang over the RS balcony.

In view of all that I decided to go with an Edge Villa instead on our next cruise...a bit more expensive but I think it's nicer (at least from the online videos)...will know for sure once we've done it.

I think the balcony for the S1 and S2 Sky suites on E-class are fine.

It's just the RS balcony that is disappointing given the cost of this suite (if paying full fare).

EV looks great.  and Iconic looks fantastic.

The Retreat area (lounge + sundeck) is better on the E-class.

As with everything else in life, there's +/- with each choice.

• Like 3

On 10/20/2021 at 10:33 AM, brownc424 said:

I would second De L’Europe.  We stayed there before our first Celebrity Cruise (2015).  We booked the cruise and paid for airfare without securing a hotel.  There was a convention that weekend and there were no hotel rooms in Amsterdam near the canals.  We were only finding rooms in private homes or over priced rooms out by the airport.  De L’Europe still had a few suites available, so we booked one.  As brownc424 states it is spectacular.  The location is perfection, right on the Amstel River.  Service is excellent.  We laughed because the bill for 3 nights at the hotel was about what we paid for 1 of us to cruise the Baltic in Aquaclass.   We have been back twice since then.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, canderson said:

We've always stayed at the Movenpick when in Amsterdam for business or cruising... and sailed from a few yards away!  Very nice hotel, and if X is still using the same dock, you can roll your suitcase down 3/4 of a block and drop it at the luggage intake!  

🤣 Me and how many bellhops?  Clearly you have never seen me travel.  LOL 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

If you truly want a nice balcony for your cruise and it makes a difference to you, then just avoid E-Class ships entirely.  Even for suites.  Unless you can afford the E Villa, PH or Iconic suites.

I was not a fan of the E class from the very first concept drawing.  Bigger is not better when it come to cruise ships for me, I love the intimacy of the smaller ships.  M class would always be first choice and next choice would be S class.  

However - I wanted that itinerary so there I will be.  I think a Celebrity suite will give us the room we need.  

If I'm going to splurge - I'll wait on an M class.  The villas look lovely but I managed to tear the meniscus in my knee - best not to be running the stairs although it would help with the caloric intake.  PH or Iconic are NOT in the budget on an E class.