Royal Caribbean Covid testing requirement

zabs

We are sailing on December 5th on the Oasis. I'm concerned about Royal's 48 hour Covid test requirement. We're arriving in Miami Friday for a Sunday sailing. If I understand correctly that means we have to find a testing site in Miami on Friday. Has anyone encountered this situation? I also understand there is LIMITED testing at the port. Has anyone had luck getting their test at the port? Also, I know there are 2 testing sites at Miami airport. Has anyone used them?  We are fully vaccinated and I feel the 48 hour requirement is over the top for vaccinated passengers. Royal are you listening? 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, zabs said:

We are sailing on December 5th on the Oasis. I'm concerned about Royal's 48 hour Covid test requirement. We're arriving in Miami Friday for a Sunday sailing. If I understand correctly that means we have to find a testing site in Miami on Friday. Has anyone encountered this situation? I also understand there is LIMITED testing at the port. Has anyone had luck getting their test at the port? Also, I know there are 2 testing sites at Miami airport. Has anyone used them?  We are fully vaccinated and I feel the 48 hour requirement is over the top for vaccinated passengers. Royal are you listening? 

Hopefully they are listening - to the science. Vaccination does not stop Covid transmission.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, zabs said:

You can could use  Emed, Abbott  tests online in your hotel or wherever  your staying.   https://store.optum.com/royal-caribbean/

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

Edited by SConnolly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zabs said:

And testing is Not over the top -- if you want to travel out of the country you need to test.    I am pretty sure every island in the Caribbean requires ALL travelers to be tested before arrival.     

You can either order online the proctored emed antigent test kits that are approved by Royal (have to make sure you get the correct ones).    Last I looked they were selling 6 kits for $150 / 3 kits for $99 or 2 kits for $70      Website to order is provided above by fellow CC member.

Or you can call Royal's special number - you can find on their website to see if you are able to schedule one of the limited tests they offer at various cruise ports for $99 and up per person.

Or you can check out the website for Miami airport as they have 2 testing facilities onsite.   Not sure how much they charge. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I personally know 2 people (an adult and a teen-ager) who were fully vaccinated and had completely non-symptomatic break through cases.   The 48 hour requirement is not over the top.

DON

It is over the top. Their vaccines played a factor in then being completely asymptomatic, as would very likely be the case if they somehow spread it to another passenger. It’s okay to admit when rules and precautions go too far

• Like 7

1 hour ago, chiguy67 said:

There is a Covid testing site at the Miami airport, passed by last weekend.

There’s also testing at the port. I seem to remember Terminal J is one of two locations. But, the J one is only open weekdays.

As for the Abbott tests tele-proctored by E-Med, make sure you get the correct one - specifying  “telemedicine” and note that most cruising couples opt for the six-pack (backup tests are a smart move).

However, the six-pack E-Med Abbott tests are currently “out of stock.”

10 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

It is over the top. Their vaccines played a factor in then being completely asymptomatic, as would very likely be the case if they somehow spread it to another passenger. It’s okay to admit when rules and precautions go too far

Would you prefer to not have vaccines and have everyone be symptomatic? What a bizarre statement.

The cruiselines cannot afford an outbreak.  The precautions are appropriate.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, George C said:

I think the two days is pretty inconvenient, for us that is thanksgiving then we fly Friday to Florida, my July cruise on Celebrity needed no test if you were vaccinated. 

Things change. Celebrity now requires tests too. 

I’m not paying for a test that I can get for free at home.  My next cruise is on Sunday Nov 14th.  I plan to schedule the earliest test time on Friday.  I always get my results the next day.  Even though I’ll fly in on Saturday, I’ll still be able to get the email and hopefully the hotel will print it for me.

1 hour ago, hotsauce126 said:

We have 2 alternatives if you are a break through case which is likely to be less severe or even non-symptomatic.  My granddaughter tested positive for Covid even though she was fully vaccinated through school testing.  She never had any symptoms.

1) Be tested.  If you test negative - good.  If you test positive - you get quarantined.  

2) Don't be tested.  Because you are non-symptomatic, you walk around spreading your Covid viruses to your friends, family and to random strangers making a lot of people who are trying to avoid the disease sick.

Which is better - option 1 or option 2.

DON

• Like 7

2 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

So a vaccinated passenger is positive and asymptomatic...and spreads it to another passenger who is then asymptomatic...and then another and another.  Well eventually it gets to somebody, who will have symptoms and will possibly die.  And we know that this is happening because we are still losing 2,000 Americans/day.  I'm very happy to go through the slight inconvenience of a covid test if it can save lives.  

It's not a big deal.  People can buy the proctored home test and just get it done.   

• Like 5

Not blaming Royal for the 48 hr test. It is what it is without Royal's control. Bought the mail order test and if there is an issue, we will pay extra at the pier if there is an issue with the at home test. Glad there is a backup at least.  Royal cant do handhold you anymore.  Be proactive and deal with it.

Edited by coaster

3 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

Maybe you should find a cruise line that isnt doing pre cruise testing.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

I'm totally happy with the restrictions, very glad that they are in place. How can precautions go "too far"? The precautions aren't onerous. 

• Like 3