Carnival Pride 10/24 Sailing live, questions welcome...

IntrepidFromDC

(EDIT: the title should say 10/24, not 10/22)...

We sailed on the first Pride sailing post-pandemic (review below) and I included a fair amount of pics... I didn't check cruisecritic every day while on cruise but you can see I do make a reasonable effort to answer questions.  Embarkation will be the first topic but I doubt I'll have anything different to report from the pics and commentary in the 9/12 review below.

I'm hoping for a much-improved David's Steakhouse experience.  After reading a few threads today, I'm also hoping for no power failure.

Otherwise, if this cruise is exactly like the 9/12 cruise, I'll be very happy!

Edited by IntrepidFromDC
  • Like 1

First subject is actually the last-minute email from Carnival saying we need to complete a health assessment, but when I looked at my to-do list everything was checked off.  As others have reported, the email saying (in an alarming style) you have to complete your health assessment (as if we're late) goes out hours (in our case many hours) before it pops up in the to-do list.  I called Carnival and had the worst experience ever (for me).  One hour and four minutes on hold, only to get the worst customer service agent in the universe.  I explained we got an email saying we had to complete a health questionnaire but I don't see it in my to-do list.  She went on and on about "using your mouse" to navigate to the to-do list.  I explained that the email explicitly said this health questionnaire is different from the vaccination survey already completed.  She said "no it's the same thing so if your vaccination survey has a checkmark, you don't need to worry".  I asked to transfer to a supervisor.  Got the "satisfaction survey" and was hung up on.  Called back.  Long wait.  Immediately the new agent agrees the "health assessment" and "vaccination survey" are two separate items...  but she has no explanation as to whether I should have received the email or not and except that she was more pleasant she was no more helpful at resolving the situation.  What do I do?  Come to cruise critic to rescue me!  Sure enough there are already two threads about the email coming long before the health assessment pops up online.  TERRIBLE CARNIVAL, all around.  Anyway, hours later sure enough it pops up and I complete it, take multiple photos from all angles in case I get flack at check-in, take a deep breath and believe it's probably settled...  (next up, covid test)

Covid Test went smoothly, we tested at the same CVS as we did for the 9/12 cruise.  We showed up five minutes early and swabbed ourselves without a wait.  Took about 30 minutes to get the results.  This time we got a phone call as well as the text messages with the link to the results.  The phone call was a live person asking us to confirm we got our texts.  Following the text instructions to obtain the digital certificate was quick and easy and while we were both anxious, we were very happy to see NEGATIVE in green.  So we are good to go.  My daughter is having mixed feelings because she thinks she's going to miss the dogs and ferrets more this time.  When I surprise her with $200 extra for gambling money I think she'll come to her cruise senses.  We choose 1230 boarding time so our cabins will be ready - we only do carry-on luggage and a backpack, a trick we learned from many Europe trips where we typically spend three nights in each city and train around.  We're looking forward to our first Europe trip in four years in the spring, but for now really looking forward to tomorrow!

Embarkation followed the same process as our 9/12 cruise (details and pics in that review). We have our first aft balcony.  Maybe too early to tell but I don't think I like aft balcony as much as port and starboard balconies.  Waking up and looking outside I thought we were docked for a second cuz the movement of the sea isn't as apparent.  Watched 4 games at a time in the sports bar. It's been a long time since I had the joy of watching 4 games on big screens simultaneously.  Lost $80 gambling last night. OJ in the MDR is good. Bacon is another story.

1 hour ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Lost $80 gambling last night.....

As a Carnival stockholder I thank you for your contribution to the bottom line.  😁

We haven't been on Pride or any of her sister ships yet, will be doing 2 cruises on Pride in the next 2 months and really looking forward to it.  I have a feeling the Spirit Class may become my favorite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunonfire said:

Have they said how many passengers are sailing?

I was on Magic about 3 weeks ago and a crew member said we were at 70% capacity.  Someone may prove me wrong but I haven't heard anything to indicate that things have changed yet.

• LauraS changed the title to Carnival Pride 10/24 Sailing live, questions welcome...

I ordered a  #10.  She started putting iceberg lettuce and mealy-looking tomatoes on it and I pointed at the menu and said  "no, I want #10, with avocados, basil and cucumbers" and she said there are no avocados on the ship. I said what about cucumbers and basil,  she said they don't have any.

20211025_150016.jpg

20211025_150056.jpg

• Like 2

The platinum gift is the cheap white luggage tag again.  On the 9/12 cruise there was no sushi or snacks at the PLATINUM PARTY.   Hoping for better luck this time.  Speaking of luck, last night a lady hit a straight flush at my table.  $1,900. Two hands later I hit quads but I don't bet big, only made $520.  But that was enough to put me up for the cruise. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I ordered a  #10.  She started putting iceberg lettuce and mealy-looking tomatoes on it and I pointed at the menu and said  "no, I want #10, with avocados, basil and cucumbers" and she said there are no avocados on the ship. I said what about cucumbers and basil,  she said they don't have any.

Could you please order a #9, for science?  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

If so I missed it.  As much as I love Italy and Italians I'll be damned if I can understand the Captain announcements.

Our last Carnival cruise the Captain sounded like someone doing a bad imitation of an Italian accent. It was weird.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

My daughter threw up as a result of the aft balcony rock-n-rolling for 2 straight nights. I'm waiting a few days to decide but I don't think I will ever book aft balcony again,  at least not on Pride.

Sorry to hear that.  Between that and potential soot issues, looks like we'll stay with midship balconies.

16 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Sounds like our guy!

His Italian accent is very heavy and it can be difficult to understand his onboard announcements with all of the background noise.  What is interesting is that the announcement about the power outage last week.  was easily understood.  It may be because we were in the cabin and there was otherwise a silence that we had never encountered on a cruise ship.

3 hours ago, davy jones said:

How has the weather been?  I hope you escaped the noreaster storm that came up the coast late Monday into Tuesday.

In Nassau today the weather is beautiful.  About 85 and sunny. Monday and Tuesday were very rough, huge white-capped swells and our cabin shuddered enough to wake us. I guess it was the noreaster you mentioned because I noticed on the ship map we were hugging the coast and passing North Carolina on Tuesday. 

• Like 1