The Douro-----

Lois R

2 hours ago, steamboats said:

Only one??? We bought two at the Quinta and another one at the airport 🤣!

steamboats

Haha, you should know better, with us. We brought 12 or 13 bottles of wine home all told. One was pink Port. Cheers! 🍷

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I brought 1 bottle home with me.........first time I have even brought any type of beverage home with me from any cruise and I have been cruising for almost 20 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Makes an excellent long cold drink with tonic or other fizz, or as with Tio Pepe Sherry (very dry) chill in the fridge. Scenic put a bottle of Tio Pepe in the fridge for me. That’s been done twice for me without asking as the bar man remembered me from previous cruises both different. Now that’s what I call service.

• Like 1

I have been researching multiple lines today for the Douro.......Scenic, Uniworld,......Tauck is sold out.

I know most folks don't talk price on here but the 10 night on AMA is about 5 grand less than Scenic and Uniworld.!  That is ALOT of money to me.  I know the other 2 lines are "higher end" but I sailed with AMA once and really loved it. 

Looks like my cruise thread has become a booze thread😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

Just checked our local liquor store (online), they have Croft Pink Port available, as well as a Pacheca.  Worth picking up if you don't care for regular port?

Pacheca is where we tasted it, and bought our bottle. It's less heavy than darker ports. I found it less cloying. And the flavors were different. There will be some fruitiness.

Mind you, I am fine with a sip of regular Port, in the appropriate setting. This isn't interchangeable. 

The pink Port was good with Fever Tree light tonic. I thought the combo of regular Fever Tree tonic and the pink Port was a little too sweet. Pacheco also makes a white Port that we didn't try.

It's cheap enough to try. If you don't like it, send it to me! 😉

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It's cheap enough to try. If you don't like it, send it to me! 😉

I'd offer to bring it, but that $200.00 test to get back is a little much.  We miss our trips to the Finger Lake district.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

I have been researching multiple lines today for the Douro.......Scenic, Uniworld,......Tauck is sold out.

I know most folks don't talk price on here but the 10 night on AMA is about 5 grand less than Scenic and Uniworld.!  That is ALOT of money to me.  I know the other 2 lines are "higher end" but I sailed with AMA once and really loved it. 

Lois, I’m sorry that your experience is the same as mine. If you’ve found an AMA cruise that works for your schedule, may I suggest that you call and hold a reservation. They will hold it for a week and meanwhile you can research all your options to find what’s best for you. If you change your mind or find something better you can cancel the AMA ressie with no repercussions. 

16 minutes ago, TakingFlight said:

Lois, I’m sorry that your experience is the same as mine. If you’ve found an AMA cruise that works for your schedule, may I suggest that you call and hold a reservation. They will hold it for a week and meanwhile you can research all your options to find what’s best for you. If you change your mind or find something better you can cancel the AMA ressie with no repercussions. 

Hi, thanks for the reply🙂 but not sure what you are sorry about.....no need to apologize for anything.

I will find something--not worried about that😀........actually, I spoke to AMA earlier today and I am doing exactly what you have referred to......I have a cabin on hold!👍

Out of 3 river cruises we have been on, The Douro was my favorite so far.  We used Viking in 2017 and thought they did a fantastic job.  We did the pre-extension in Madrid which was a perfect way to start the trip.  This allowed us to get into Lisbon early and explore on our own.  I would say the only negative of the Douro compared to the Rhine would be the small towns where the ship docks overnight.  While the towns are quaint, there is not much to see if you have time on your own.  The ports along the Rhine offered more free time to explore.  I guess it doesn't really matter with the way travel is nowadays as you can't explore on your own.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 3:16 PM, Lois R said:

Looks like my cruise thread has become a booze thread😀

I was fortunate that my TA was able to reschedule my Douro on Uniworld to May 2022 at the same price, same cabin level.  They are now about 3k more for solo traveler. This is my 3rd attempt at Douro, was cancelled twice.  Got my voucher on TAP restored after hitting  them over the head with a foam bat for 15 months. I am just 3 days back from AMA in the south of France.  Always need something booked or I wont go to work!

3 hours ago, CUTTERSAM said:

I was fortunate that my TA was able to reschedule my Douro on Uniworld to May 2022 at the same price, same cabin level.  They are now about 3k more for solo traveler. This is my 3rd attempt at Douro, was cancelled twice.  Got my voucher on TAP restored after hitting  them over the head with a foam bat for 15 months. I am just 3 days back from AMA in the south of France.  Always need something booked or I wont go to work!

Good morning, welcome home and how was your recent cruise? Hope you had a wonderful time🙂

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, welcome home and how was your recent cruise? Hope you had a wonderful time🙂

@CUTTERSAM Yes how was AMA? We sailed on the AmaKristina in late August and really enjoyed the cruise. Hope you did too.

The Douro, probably with Uniworld or Scenic, is on my wish list for 2023.

Paul

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

It was good but not great. There were only 45 of us,  39 was one group and then there was me and 5 folks that were with me in Geneva. Food and service excellent but I felt like I was in a new high school.  Also, not many "dressed" for dinner (raggedy jeans and sneakers) and it didn't feel special.   

5 hours ago, Wings55 said:

@CUTTERSAM Yes how was AMA? We sailed on the AmaKristina in late August and really enjoyed the cruise. Hope you did too.

The Douro, probably with Uniworld or Scenic, is on my wish list for 2023.

Paul

See my response to Lois R. This was my third AMA and my first love but it seems to be trending more to a "Carnival" vibe. I am doing Uniworld next to see if this is an overall trend in the river cruise biz.

35 minutes ago, CUTTERSAM said:

It was good but not great. There were only 45 of us,  39 was one group and then there was me and 5 folks that were with me in Geneva. Food and service excellent but I felt like I was in a new high school.  Also, not many "dressed" for dinner (raggedy jeans and sneakers) and it didn't feel special.   

Hi....that sounds not so good😟........I HATED high school👎........and certainly don't want to feel like my cruise is in that genre.......hopefully my sailing to Paris will feel more normal...........

2 hours ago, CUTTERSAM said:

See my response to Lois R. This was my third AMA and my first love but it seems to be trending more to a "Carnival" vibe. I am doing Uniworld next to see if this is an overall trend in the river cruise biz.

Trending?  It sounds more like that large group set the – unusual – tone for that one AMA cruise.