Ancient Wonders Of The Black Sea. May 2022

woodcritic

1 hour ago, Truro001 said:

We certainly won't cancel as things stand but we also won't be getting the suitcases out of the attic just yet. The frustration at the moment is that 32 days in May and June have been set aside for a cruise in the Black Sea. If the cruise is not going to the Black Sea it would be nice to know so that we could explore other options. 

I completely agree gives us no time to plan, but at moment,  another cruise is not a realistic prospect,  as for flights wait to see if airports sort themselves out. If we get refund can afford 5star UK hotels with money, but it won't be the same. Saga did offer me chance to move it but only 2022, we are fully booked for 2022 and 2023.

In many ways Saga should offer compensation for their tardy decision making. Oops was that a pig in the sky

• Like 1

89 cabins for sale , up from 84 ( Cabins for 2), but fewer single cabins.

Looking at change in make up of cabin types available. Looks like they are continuing to  upgrade people in an effort to persuade them not to cancel.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

Piraeus port updated their schedules yesterday (April 14th) and the Spirit of Adventure is still listed to visit on 2nd June. The listing still does not show a visit from the Spirit of Adventure on 31st May which is the date Saga still insist is the the correct date for the visit.

• Like 1

I have had no response whatsoever from Saga following my email to Nigel Blanks on 8th April.

In my email I detailed my concerns regarding the security situation in the Black Sea and my disapproval of Saga’s purely arbitrary Covid protocols prohibiting Independent shore excursions.

I also requested clarification of Saga’s position with regard to the cruise itinerary. Saga are currently advertising the cruise as visiting Piraeus on 31st May. However, the routine updates issued by Piraeus port authority clearly show that the Spirit of Adventure is due to visit on 2nd June and there is no record for a visit on 31st May. This is hugely significant because if the information from the port authority is correct there is no way that that the Spirit of Adventure will visit Constanza on 3rd June.

The situation could easily be clarified if Saga were to state that that the information published by the port authority is incorrect and confirm that the Spirit of Adventure will NOT be visiting Piraeus on 2nd June. Saga’s failure to do so is a concern.

Looking at the maps in the papers of the position of the Russian cruiser where it was hit, it was southwest of Odessa mid way between Odessa and Constanza slightly nearer to Constanza , wont be going near there.

I do not understand the delay.  The ship is slowly emptying. More will leave when they announce its not going to black sea. The later they leave it , the less time they will have to sell the alternative intinerary. 

I just cannot believe it will be another leave it till they are on board gambit , like no independent excursions at ports. 

28 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Looking at the maps in the papers of the position of the Russian cruiser where it was hit, it was southwest of Odessa mid way between Odessa and Constanza slightly nearer to Constanza , wont be going near there.

I do not understand the delay.  The ship is slowly emptying. More will leave when they announce its not going to black sea. The later they leave it , the less time they will have to sell the alternative intinerary. 

I just cannot believe it will be another leave it till they are on board gambit , like no independent excursions at ports. 

As you rightly say - we won't be going anywhere near Constanza. That would be foolhardy. Every other company cancelled planned visits to that area long before this latest missile attack which sank the  Moskva. I can only assume that the reason behind the failure to respond to queries about changes to the itinerary are commercial. It certainly isn't for the benefit of Saga customers booked on this cruise. 

I suppose that if (when) it is announced that the cruise named as a Black Sea cruise will not actually be visiting the Black Sea, people would be legally entitled to a full refund, on the basis that the original cruise has been cancelled and replaced with (probably) a Med cruise. So Saga may be hoping that by the time this is announced, everybody who would have asked for a refund has already either cancelled (and lost the deposit) or rolled it over to another cruise (making the books look good).

In fairness, to date Saga have always been very good with refunds.

Anybody booked who wants to escalate this could contact one of the travel writers in the papers, such as Mail or Telegraph, and ask them if the Black Sea will be safe for a cruise ship, explaining that despite best efforts you cannot get a straight answer from Saga.

They may be able to get an answer from Saga about why they will not clarify the discrepancy between the port schedule and the cruise schedule.

Saga have been telling their shareholders how strong their bookings are, and the shareholders (judging by their forums) believe that the ships are sailing at full capacity for 2022 and the first part of 2023, it does seem as if their current priority for Saga is their shareholders rather than their customers.

• Like 1

One thing to note , I've looked at price per person per night , in 2022 cruises brochure. Mediterranean cruises were 5% cheaper than black sea. Which will be between £750 and £1500 depending upon cabin for a couple. This should be cash not OBC.

I'm waiting for Saga in no rush. I will make this point when they ask if I was to cancel or not. 

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

I have a feeling they will be selling cabins mainly on  a guarantee basis , to avoid their price promise coming into effect .

Also When they first put it back on sale there were 15 midships suites available,  about a month ago , this dropped to 3 but standard cabin availability went up at the same time by 12.  My interpretation of this is they offered people who wanted to move upgrades to stay. Those who paid full wack and didn't threaten to move have been taken for granted

I think they will be hoping passengers will just be happy to have a cruise and roll over onto a "cheaper" med cruise for the same money.

10 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I think they will be hoping passengers will just be happy to have a cruise and roll over onto a "cheaper" med cruise for the same money.

Going by previous experience, I would expect Saga to offer some form of compensation for such a major change, such as a 5% refund on the cruise cost but we shall see.

5 hours ago, david05 said:

Going by previous experience, I would expect Saga to offer some form of compensation for such a major change, such as a 5% refund on the cruise cost but we shall see.

Personally I think they are going to have to do much better than a 5% refund. I expect a full refund if the cruise does not go into the Black Sea. I would not be happy with a cruise just around the Med and back.  

Just now, WeLuv2Holiday said:

I've also been logging in on a daily basis and whilst the menu now shows an option to 'add new holiday excursions' there aren't actually any excursions to add! Most frustrating! 

30 days to go and we still don't know where we are going 🤪

Lucky  , I can login , but its temporarily lost my booking

42 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Lucky  , I can login , but its temporarily lost my booking

I can't see mine under "Your holidays" but when I look under "MySaga Overview" the booked cruises magically appear.

• Like 1

Last night I eventually received a reply to my emails about the itinerary for this cruise. I was informed that the itinerary has changed (as had been thought) and it was hoped that details of the new itinerary would be published either today or tomorrow. I am keeping an eye on Saga's website but at the moment they are still advertising the current itinerary. 

28 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Interesting to see if they tell us first

Funnily enough the itinerary has only been removed from the web page that was advertising this cruise. It is still on the original page relating specifically to this cruise.........