CocoCay snorkeling... a report

Birdnutty

Before our cruise, I went crazy trying to find info on the snorkeling here, and was never able to get a complete answer.  I was concerned that the re-work of the island had changed it significantly from the snorkeling perspective. So for others, I am answering all the questions I had in my own head.  This way, you can hopefully concentrate on planning your cruise rather than chasing questions down blind alleys.

We brought our own gear. Having snorkeled there many years ago, we didn’t know if we could still access the areas we used to go to.

1). The snorkel area is the same.  Off Chill Beach.  There are three “rocky” areas at Chill Beach. The one in the center has the best selection of fish behind it.  

2)  GO EARLY!  The sand is so fine there that vision is severely impeded by suspended particles from people swimming, walking, hanging out in the water, etc.  Visibility by lunch time is quite bad. 

3) There’s no significant coral there anywhere, so set your expectations low and just be happy to see the fish

4). We saw mostly the usual suspects, including Sargent Majors, jacks, parrotfish, needlefish, clownfish, tangs, some butterfly fish. Some pretty big ones (over two feet) that I couldn’t identify and a bunch of all different sizes that I also couldn’t ID.  We saw a school just hanging there, right next to the rocks that had to have at least 200 fish in it, about 8” long.  

5) When we were there, the roped off area did not include the area that housed the sunken plane.  Maybe with the reduced amount of pax they find it easier to keep track of everyone in a smaller section. When you go, ask a lifeguard if the airplane is within the ropes or not.  Save yourself some time.  

Not everyone had a vest.  They didn’t seem to be monitoring it, either.  

If if you have questions I did not answer, feel free to ask!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you thank you for this info!  I too have been trying to learn as much as possible before our April stop at Coco Cay.  While any day we get to put our face in the water is good, it is so helpful to set expectations realistically.  

We have a Chill Island cabana reserved.  Did you think these were in a good location for getting to the snorkel area?  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/31/2021 at 7:38 PM, Birdnutty said:

Before our cruise, I went crazy trying to find info on the snorkeling here, and was never able to get a complete answer.  I was concerned that the re-work of the island had changed it significantly from the snorkeling perspective. So for others, I am answering all the questions I had in my own head.  This way, you can hopefully concentrate on planning your cruise rather than chasing questions down blind alleys.

We brought our own gear. Having snorkeled there many years ago, we didn’t know if we could still access the areas we used to go to.

1). The snorkel area is the same.  Off Chill Beach.  There are three “rocky” areas at Chill Beach. The one in the center has the best selection of fish behind it.  

2)  GO EARLY!  The sand is so fine there that vision is severely impeded by suspended particles from people swimming, walking, hanging out in the water, etc.  Visibility by lunch time is quite bad. 

3) There’s no significant coral there anywhere, so set your expectations low and just be happy to see the fish

4). We saw mostly the usual suspects, including Sargent Majors, jacks, parrotfish, needlefish, clownfish, tangs, some butterfly fish. Some pretty big ones (over two feet) that I couldn’t identify and a bunch of all different sizes that I also couldn’t ID.  We saw a school just hanging there, right next to the rocks that had to have at least 200 fish in it, about 8” long.  

5) When we were there, the roped off area did not include the area that housed the sunken plane.  Maybe with the reduced amount of pax they find it easier to keep track of everyone in a smaller section. When you go, ask a lifeguard if the airplane is within the ropes or not.  Save yourself some time.  

Not everyone had a vest.  They didn’t seem to be monitoring it, either.  

If if you have questions I did not answer, feel free to ask!

This is great. We wondering if we could bring snorkeling gear. How deep is the water where you were snorkeling? I am not the best swimmer so I may need a float or vest. Do they have them available?

7 hours ago, shelpt said:

This is great. We wondering if we could bring snorkeling gear. How deep is the water where you were snorkeling? I am not the best swimmer so I may need a float or vest. Do they have them available?

Yes, in fact an inflatable snorkeling vest is technically required and they rent them, but apparently enforcement is spotty.  

Our March cruise with RCL has just changed the itinerary to include Coco Cay instead of Nassau. I do enjoy snorkeling so was wondering if it's worth it to take it along. We were scheduled for Coco Cay last year but then of course the cruise was rescheduled to '22. So sounds like Chill Island is the best place?

I came across a recommendation for "Snorkel Beach" on the east side of Coco Cay. Saw it on a few maps. Is this a better spot than Chill Island? 

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2022 at 2:55 PM, jean87510 said:

Husband and I will be at Coco cay on 3/4 and will be snorkeling.  I will come back with a report and pictures.

We opted out of snorkeling today as we were in Roatan and Cozumel and its not worth dragging out gear.  Just enjoying the relaxing day!

2 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Why not? 

because its our last day and we have to get everything cleaned and dried.  Ship docks tomorrow in Miami. Husband has a special dry bag plus free diving fins.  We have to pack when we get back to ship.

Edited by jean87510

4 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

because its our last day and we have to get everything cleaned and dried

OH!  Ok...I read something different into your statement - that perhaps you did it on CocoCay and found it wasn't very good. Wrong interpretation!  

• Haha 1

Just now, AnyWayIsGood said:

OH!  Ok...I read something different into your statement - that perhaps you did it on CocoCay and found it wasn't very good. Wrong interpretation!  

trust me if it was bonaire we may have had wet suitcases!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 9:40 PM, ridge123 said:

We just came back. The snorkeling on chill island is fabulous. We saw a lot of fish and several stingrays. 

Can you be specific on where you went in when you snorkeled? I have snorkeled Coco Cay and all times on the chill island side and have never seen anything even close to this. Going back 1st week of April and would love to have your experience vs what I've had there before!

Which horseshoe bay did you go out of the closet to the ship or small middle section or  the closer to Breezy Bay. And how early did you snorkel?

Thanks for any info

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/perfect-day-cococay-map

Ridge...how far from the beach were you on Chill Island?  Wish I would have seen a few things. Was just there a few days ago and it was a total bust. Very windy and so didn't want to venture out close to the white roped off section. I'm told that's where most of the action is. I only snorkeled in close to the shore areas and so just grass. Not a single fish. It was just too windy. Got two good mouthfuls of sea water due to the waves - blew the water right over the top of the tube. Oh well...maybe next time. Couldn't even have any of the umbrellas up. The one attendant said the day before we were there was the exact opposite. Luck of the draw. I talked to him and he said if I'd go farther out (to the really dark area, that's where the fish, rays, etc. are) Just wasn't brave enough I guess. Nobody was out anywhere near that far. Only a few people swimming and all close to shore. Felt more like I was swimming off the Jersey shore. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

On 3/24/2022 at 2:33 AM, udamom said:

Can you be specific on where you went in when you snorkeled? I have snorkeled Coco Cay and all times on the chill island side and have never seen anything even close to this. Going back 1st week of April and would love to have your experience vs what I've had there before!

Which horseshoe bay did you go out of the closet to the ship or small middle section or  the closer to Breezy Bay. And how early did you snorkel?

Thanks for any info

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/perfect-day-cococay-map

the rock area circled on the map is where I were snorkeling. The picture 1, 2,4,6,7 were taken along the rock area. The stingrays were swimming far away from the beach of Chill island, around  the float stations. The picture 5 was taken at the wreck of the boat which is located near one of float station. 

850776C0-096F-41B5-9B5B-040C59E6B141.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Ridge...how far from the beach were you on Chill Island?  Wish I would have seen a few things. Was just there a few days ago and it was a total bust. Very windy and so didn't want to venture out close to the white roped off section. I'm told that's where most of the action is. I only snorkeled in close to the shore areas and so just grass. Not a single fish. It was just too windy. Got two good mouthfuls of sea water due to the waves - blew the water right over the top of the tube. Oh well...maybe next time. Couldn't even have any of the umbrellas up. The one attendant said the day before we were there was the exact opposite. Luck of the draw. I talked to him and he said if I'd go farther out (to the really dark area, that's where the fish, rays, etc. are) Just wasn't brave enough I guess. Nobody was out anywhere near that far. Only a few people swimming and all close to shore. Felt more like I was swimming off the Jersey shore. 

the rock area of Chill island  is close to the shore and easy to reach. When we stand in the water, there were a lot of fish swam around us . When we snorkeling around the rock area, we saw more fish there. The float stations are a little bit away from the shores. When we were there, the weather was perfect, not windy at all. We could swim to the float station and take a rest on the station. Then jump into the water and snorkel around the float station. There are a wreck of the boat on the bottom, a group of fish hiding under it. 

91A55467-F981-4632-8542-0825BA469959.jpeg

DE5A71A0-223B-4B0E-B36A-F42FDB0822B2.jpeg

1E68563F-938A-4EF5-8A70-15095A2988F1.jpeg

65C2DFB9-E42E-4D30-B2F6-993B54B26FDD.jpeg

913AAFD2-0D81-4326-A460-90B0F2C35EC6.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ridge123 said:

the rock area circled on the map is where I were snorkeling.

Interesting. We were to the left of your circle AND also to the left of where it says "Chill Island" - I swam / snorkeled right out from the beach.  The area you were in (and apparently the best place) is straight out from the Grill (at least on the map). I will have to take some notes for next time. I'm confused on your last picture. Were you snorkeling over that far?  That area, as we came in, literally had huge waves crashing against the rocks. Had to hold on to your hat (literally) or it would have blown right off coming from the ship. There was NOone even out anywhere near the white markers. I'm suitably envious since I bothered to pack the gear and it was almost a complete waste of time - fun to paddle around of course but a few gulps of saltwater quickly put an end to the effort. Now I really want to go back!  I clearly saw a darker area straight out from where I was swimming, but the conditions were so bad that I wouldn't have dreamed of attempting to go out anywhere near that far. Very few people were even in the water. Still not clear on where this "float station" is. I can see I should have investigated more before going. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

1 hour ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Interesting. We were to the left of your circle AND also to the left of where it says "Chill Island" - I swam / snorkeled right out from the beach.  The area you were in (and apparently the best place) is straight out from the Grill (at least on the map). I will have to take some notes for next time. I'm confused on your last picture. Were you snorkeling over that far?  That area, as we came in, literally had huge waves crashing against the rocks. Had to hold on to your hat (literally) or it would have blown right off coming from the ship. There was NOone even out anywhere near the white markers. I'm suitably envious since I bothered to pack the gear and it was almost a complete waste of time - fun to paddle around of course but a few gulps of saltwater quickly put an end to the effort. Now I really want to go back!  I clearly saw a darker area straight out from where I was swimming, but the conditions were so bad that I wouldn't have dreamed of attempting to go out anywhere near that far. Very few people were even in the water. Still not clear on where this "float station" is. I can see I should have investigated more before going. 

The float stations are marked as yellow circle on the map. Maybe it is not that far as I marked. 

You can see one of float station (yellow circle) on the second picture I post here. 

CB488D61-15C4-4C1A-A0C6-06B7E0085ADA.jpeg

91C1A445-940D-4754-B632-7A541511A7CF.jpeg

1 hour ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

No, the last  photo with  the cruise ship is just to show how good the weather was. We did not snorkel  at that area at all.