Transport chair vs "regular" wheelchair?

LuAnn

I asked a question about using a transport chair awhile ago..and thank you to all for your input. A friend brought a "regular" wheelchair for me to try/use on our cruise today so I spent time "pushing" DH Kenneth around.

Let's face it..the regular chair weighs a lot more than the transport chair. I'm a bit concerned that with the increased weight the pushing is going to be a lot more tiring with the regular chair.  He can walk very short distances but I will need the chair to go from one end of the ship to the other. He's 6 foot tall and 170 lbs. 

What do you all think? Thanks for any input!!

Has your DH tried wheeling himself around a little bit? We have a transport chair and a wheel chair. My DH wants to bring the wheelchair on our cruise just so he would have the option of wheeling himself around a little bit if he wanted to. To me it isn't any harder to push wheelchair. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, LuAnn said:

Let's face it..the regular chair weighs a lot more than the transport chair. I'm a bit concerned that with the increased weight the pushing is going to be a lot more tiring with the regular chair.  He can walk very short distances but I will need the chair to go from one end of the ship to the other. He's 6 foot tall and 170 lbs. 

My husband has a transport chair that we take on all our cruises.  I push him through the airport until we get assistance, to our hotel and then to the point at the pier where we get assistance from the porters and/or Celebrity personnel (sometimes both).   This works out great (especially when someone at the pier is doing the pushing).  

Once we get to our room, we have a rented scooter that is waiting for him, which seems to be the most exciting thing about the cruise for him.  We fold up the transport in the room and use the scooter throughout the cruise.   This is new-found freedom for him and we would never do it any other way.  Ships are huge, docks are often very long  and then there's going around the port, so there is a lot of walking and work for someone having to push another person (sometimes uphill).

Actual wheelchairs are typically heavier and bulkier than transport chairs.   Transport chairs are easier to get into the trunk of a vehicle (we've had no trouble getting it into the trunk of even the smaller taxis because you can remove the foot rests if necessary).   But they do require someone else to do the pushing.  

I personally would go with a transport chair based on it being easier to get into a vehicle (lighter and smaller).  

You might go to a mobility store in your area and try out different chairs (they come in different sizes, like for smaller or heavier people) and some are more comfortable than others.  

This is my husband's transport chair but we actually ended up with the bariatric version (22" wide seat) since he weighed more in 2017 when it was purchased:   https://www.novajoy.com/our-products/transport-chairs/transport-chairs-heavy-duty/

We bought it at Amazon.  

PS:   If you decide on renting a scooter, you will need an accessible room.

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2021 at 4:31 PM, lubedobedo said:

Has your DH tried wheeling himself around a little bit? We have a transport chair and a wheel chair. My DH wants to bring the wheelchair on our cruise just so he would have the option of wheeling himself around a little bit if he wanted to. To me it isn't any harder to push wheelchair. Good luck!

Thank you!! 

On 11/7/2021 at 9:14 AM, kokopelli-az said:

My husband has a transport chair that we take on all our cruises.  I push him through the airport until we get assistance, to our hotel and then to the point at the pier where we get assistance from the porters and/or Celebrity personnel (sometimes both).   This works out great (especially when someone at the pier is doing the pushing).  

Once we get to our room, we have a rented scooter that is waiting for him, which seems to be the most exciting thing about the cruise for him.  We fold up the transport in the room and use the scooter throughout the cruise.   This is new-found freedom for him and we would never do it any other way.  Ships are huge, docks are often very long  and then there's going around the port, so there is a lot of walking and work for someone having to push another person (sometimes uphill).

Actual wheelchairs are typically heavier and bulkier than transport chairs.   Transport chairs are easier to get into the trunk of a vehicle (we've had no trouble getting it into the trunk of even the smaller taxis because you can remove the foot rests if necessary).   But they do require someone else to do the pushing.  

I personally would go with a transport chair based on it being easier to get into a vehicle (lighter and smaller).  

You might go to a mobility store in your area and try out different chairs (they come in different sizes, like for smaller or heavier people) and some are more comfortable than others.  

This is my husband's transport chair but we actually ended up with the bariatric version (22" wide seat) since he weighed more in 2017 when it was purchased:   https://www.novajoy.com/our-products/transport-chairs/transport-chairs-heavy-duty/

We bought it at Amazon.  

PS:   If you decide on renting a scooter, you will need an accessible room.

Thank you!! I wanted to try the scooter but DH is afraid...he has Dementia and it just seems to be something he doesn't think he could handle. The regular wheelchair just seems ..as you say so much heavier/bulkier and I think I feel more comfortable with the transport chair. I know the "regular" type he could do his own pushing but I'm not sure he could really co-ordinate that. All such new adventures!! But so happy we can get on a boat soon!!! 🙂

11 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

Thank you!! I wanted to try the scooter but DH is afraid  🙂

That's too much.  ❤️.   My husband was kicking and screaming about getting a scooter the first time I suggested it.   We went to a mobility store and he thought it might be ok but he still didn't want to rent one.  I finally said, let's just rent one once and if you don't like it you can use your transport chair.

He was so excited about the scooter after the first day.   He's never looked back.   It's been a life saver for him and me.   

It is the most exciting part of a cruise for him.  "Did you order my scooter?"

We'll never cruise without a scooter again.  He also suffers with some dimetria.

28 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

That's too much.  ❤️.   My husband was kicking and screaming about getting a scooter the first time I suggested it.   We went to a mobility store and he thought it might be ok but he still didn't want to rent one.  I finally said, let's just rent one once and if you don't like it you can use your transport chair.

He was so excited about the scooter after the first day.   He's never looked back.   It's been a life saver for him and me.   

It is the most exciting part of a cruise for him.  "Did you order my scooter?"

We'll never cruise without a scooter again.  He also suffers with some dimetria.

Thank you!! What type of scooter do you order? 3 or 4 wheels? Don't you have a hard time getting an accessible cabin? Doesn't seem like there are very many to start with on a ship!!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LuAnn said:

Thank you!! What type of scooter do you order? 3 or 4 wheels? Don't you have a hard time getting an accessible cabin? Doesn't seem like there are very many to start with on a ship!!

3 wheel.    My husband weighs 204 now but he was quite a bit above that a   few years ago.   Book early,!    That's all I can say.  The accessible staterooms are filled up quickly.  We book a year out.  And more.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Another question.  First time using one, and I am the pusher of 150 pound adult. A scooter is not an option.  We will not be leaving ship.

Is a transport chair sturdy enough for a new user to push on carpet, into and out of elevators? Up and down slight inclines, saddles?  

Thank you 

22 hours ago, JFontaine said:

Another question.  First time using one, and I am the pusher of 150 pound adult. A scooter is not an option.  We will not be leaving ship.

Is a transport chair sturdy enough for a new user to push on carpet, into and out of elevators? Up and down slight inclines, saddles?  

If you have a local mobility store, you might go there and try out different transport chairs.   There are definitely ones that are not as sturdy as others, which is fine if only used for limited trips (like going to the doctor, inside the grocery store, etc).   See how much the different transport chairs weigh, too, so you will know if you are able to get it in your car.  

Using it for travel, you might want to consider a sturdy chair as it will be more comfortable for the user and easier for the pusher to navigate.   You shouldn't have any trouble using a transport chair on the ship and you will quickly discover the routes of least resistance.  If you come across a place where it's harder to push the chair across it, try backing the chair over (the larger wheels in the rear of the chair will make it easier to get over bumps).   We always back into an elevator.   You won't have any inclines on the ship but if you get off at a port stop, you will probably avoid any place that's much of a hill.  The ship employees asisst wheelchair/transport/scooter passengers up and down the ship's ramp.  If you do a search on this board, you will see discussions of wheelchair/transport chairs on the ship.

If you travel by plane, you can have the airport pushers push the chair (and the user of the chair) from the check-in counter all the way to the door of the plane.   They will then take the chair and put it below the plane with the strollers, etc, and return it to you when you reach your next stop.   Make sure you sign up for wheelchair assistance if you make airplane reservations.  

And request wheelchair assistance at the pier, too.   The ship's pushers can push the chair to your destination inside the ship (lounge, stateroom, restaurant, etc).

This is the transport chair we have (they come in smaller sizes which sounds like what you might want):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016JDBSM/ref=?th=1

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

If you have a local mobility store, you might go there and try out different transport chairs.   There are definitely ones that are not as sturdy as others, which is fine if only used for limited trips (like going to the doctor, inside the grocery store, etc).   See how much the different transport chairs weigh, too, so you will know if you are able to get it in your car.  

Using it for travel, you might want to consider a sturdy chair as it will be more comfortable for the user and easier for the pusher to navigate.   You shouldn't have any trouble using a transport chair on the ship and you will quickly discover the routes of least resistance.  If you come across a place where it's harder to push the chair across it, try backing the chair over (the larger wheels in the rear of the chair will make it easier to get over bumps).   We always back into an elevator.   You won't have any inclines on the ship but if you get off at a port stop, you will probably avoid any place that's much of a hill.  The ship employees asisst wheelchair/transport/scooter passengers up and down the ship's ramp.  If you do a search on this board, you will see discussions of wheelchair/transport chairs on the ship.

If you travel by plane, you can have the airport pushers push the chair (and the user of the chair) from the check-in counter all the way to the door of the plane.   They will then take the chair and put it below the plane with the strollers, etc, and return it to you when you reach your next stop.   Make sure you sign up for wheelchair assistance if you make airplane reservations.  

And request wheelchair assistance at the pier, too.   The ship's pushers can push the chair to your destination inside the ship (lounge, stateroom, restaurant, etc).

This is the transport chair we have (they come in smaller sizes which sounds like what you might want):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016JDBSM/ref=?th=1

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. One more question.  You said you back into the elevator on the ship.  Do you turn around in the elevator and back off the elevator as well?  Thank you again. 

We back into the elevator so that the person in the transport chair is facing the elevator door.   When we get to our floor, we just go straight out (no turning around).   So, no, we don't back out of the elevator when we get to our floor.   If there are too many people on the elevator, we just wait until the next one.  We like to have lots of room.   Empty elevators are our favorite🙂

You may discover that if the elevators are busy, you should just take any available elevator no matter which direction it is going.  At least you'll have your elevator and you will get to your floor eventually.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 6:51 AM, JFontaine said:

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. One more question.  You said you back into the elevator on the ship.  Do you turn around in the elevator and back off the elevator as well?  Thank you again. 

Personally I drive in and turn around, always had enough room to do so, I detest backing out, frequently the stairs are way too close.

• Thanks 1