World cruise for families with kids?! Please help :)

Carina79

Hi everyone,

Many of you have suggested amazing cruise lines that doesn't really "like" kids, some of them are even adults only. If you had three kids between 5 and 16, which WC cruise lines provide the best value for the money in your opinion?

Doing a world cruise for two adults is quite the undertaking, but doing it as a family of five? I desperately want it but feel a bit overwhelmed. We plan a sabbatical for a school year and aim for a WC with departure in early 2024. 

Before you recommend RC ultimate world cruise, 9 months is way too long. About 3-4 months seems ideal for us and Europe is the least interesting continent for us (as we live there and have been to a lot of it).

Any advice you could give is greatly appreciated. 

Have a lovely day all 🙂

Kind regards

/Carina

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HASPEN79 said:

Hi everyone,

Many of you have suggested amazing cruise lines that doesn't really "like" kids, some of them are even adults only. If you had three kids between 5 and 16, which WC cruise lines provide the best value for the money in your opinion?

Doing a world cruise for two adults is quite the undertaking, but doing it as a family of five? I desperately want it but feel a bit overwhelmed. We plan a sabbatical for a school year and aim for a WC with departure in early 2024. 

Before you recommend RC ultimate world cruise, 9 months is way too long. About 3-4 months seems ideal for us and Europe is the least interesting continent for us (as we live there and have been to a lot of it).

Any advice you could give is greatly appreciated. 

Have a lovely day all 🙂

Kind regards

/Carina

Well we are definitely in the "No kids' camp, as our preferred cruise line is 18+. However, I can provide some comments and suggestions for research.

As a party of 5, unless you are prepared to book multiple cabins, you will be severely limited on ships, as very few ships have cabins that can handle more than 4. When booking multiple cabins, cruise lines normally have rules on mimimum ages of those in a cabin, as many will probably require an adult in each cabin.

Therefore, I would start my research, by contacting the cruise lines to determine, which if any of them have cabins for 5 pax. If no suitable cruise line has cabins for 5, I would then ask for their policy regarding booking 2 cabins and what the minimum age is in each cabin.

Once you have a list of cruise lines that will accept your arrangement, you can start reviewing itinerary, schedules, value, etc. Good luck.

• Like 2

Another vote for Cunard, in addition to JA’s information, Cunard treat “Children” as intelligent young adults (Cunarders) not “kids”.   After all, they are future guests and the Cunard experiences will be made memorable.  
Each age group has it’s own supervised and safe programs, from morning to evening, with older children’s events outside parent involvement.  Which your young ones will love.
Many lifelong global friendships will be made in a natural way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HASPEN79 said:

... a world cruise for ... a family of five? 

Hello Carina, you should have a look at Costa. They are very family orientated and have also connected cabins for families. Just that by obvious reasons there might be no other kids aboard a world cruise. During school holidays there are many children, during school time and on longer voyages only very few to none are aboard. This might result in limited or no activities for the young ones. But for 2022 Costa definitely was prepared to accommodate children on their world cruise (cancelled a few weeks ago), all excursions were offered against cheaper prices for children. Their world cruise starting on January 6th, 2024 will last 127 days and go around the globe from Venice (usually every second year, in 2023 the other route around Africa and South America is offered). There are several stops in the Mediterranean for picking up and returning guests in Rome, Savona, Marseilles or Barcelona, besides this no segments and leaving Europe with just calling a few ports along the route.

• Like 2

Thank you 🌷. I realize it's unusual to bring kids for a massive cruise like this, but I feel like it would be an amazing family memory for life. The 5 year old girl will probably not remember much but my 14 and 16 year old boys most likely will. We also plan to "ship school" the big kids so they are ready for school after. We will have things to do on sea days 😉  A bonus is that the big boys will get a computer game detox during this trip 😈

I will definitely do research on Costa and Cunard and I will also look into the cabin limitations etc.

I really am hopeful we'll find an option that will work 🙂

• Like 2

When I sailed on my HAL world cruise, there was a family aboard with at least 2 kids, maybe 3.  Don't remember for certain the number and I was surprised that there were any children.  As far as I know, there were no children's cruise staff members.  I do remember that the area that would ordinary be used for the young people was being used as luggage storage.  (The rooms were packed floor to ceiling and side to side.)  I do remember that the children were being home schooled and they had their "lessons" to do each day.  They were never an issue for any of us on the cruise.  And, I enjoyed seeing them around from time to time.  (I like kids having been a teacher for many years.)  I suggest that you put HAL in the mix of cruise lines that you are considering.  Also, maybe Princess.  The activities on Princess vessels may be more of interest to young people than some of those offered on a HAL ship.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our long voyage experience - a 180 night on Oceania.  There were no children and very few passengers under 60 ding the full voyage.

We did a Princess 48 night from Rome to Sydney on their small ship that was sold during the covid period.   There was a family from Hawaii on board with a son 8 years old and daughters 15 and 17.  No other children on board.   The family stayed on for another 25 days after we left.  The young son became very well known around the ship and was even given a crew member name tag.  The daughters hung out at some times with the young dancers from the production shows.  For most ports they did family tours instead of ships tours.  The children had been assigned by the parents ports to investigate and organize tours,   Princess will have children programs when numbers warrant but not on a world cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing. I was tempted to splurge on a more high end cruise line, but I don't think it would be good for kids and I don't like to waste money 😄 I'm considering doing a segment of the RC ultimate world cruise, I know there will be at least a few kids there deeming by that cruise thread. However, will there even be anything to book left by December when the segments are supposed to go on market? Time will tell..

• Thanks 1

I think you are on the right track. Most luxury lines not equipped to handle children. I know some have summer family cruises but for us we have never seen any one under 18. I would consider Cunard. I do hope you have a good TA helping guide you. For this type of cruise they could be invaluable. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I would not limit choice to WCs. Most lines now have numerous Month or more cruises all over world. First find lines with cabins large enough or with adjoining cabins. You need a good cruise agent who does this market.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2021 at 3:38 AM, Carina79 said:

Thanks for sharing. I was tempted to splurge on a more high end cruise line, but I don't think it would be good for kids and I don't like to waste money 😄 I'm considering doing a segment of the RC ultimate world cruise, I know there will be at least a few kids there deeming by that cruise thread. However, will there even be anything to book left by December when the segments are supposed to go on market? Time will tell..

You might consider Crystal's WC. Crystal is considered in the luxury class. Its 2024 itinerary, which concentrates on Asia and the South Pacific, has options for lengths of either 89 or 105 nights. It has kids' clubs--one for the younger set and one for teens. Unfortunately, as you've noted, it is rare to find chlidren on a WC by its very nature, so the clubs are not very active as a result, but it does demonstrate a level of child-friendliness. Also, it is divided into segments, so there's more chance of having other children onboard for at least a segment or two.

It also has some adjoining cabins, so if they are available you'd be able to have the children with you but have a second cabin. With three children, you'd need to find one that has a fold-out couch in one of the two rooms.

• Like 1

I would stay away from the High End Cruise lines since the base price is already very high and your children do not drink, so will not take advantage of the drink-package calculated into the fare. In your case check out the base price and then calculate what your additional expenses are going to be. Inside Cabin a cruise critic member has a cost-calculator on her website which is very helpful. For example high end cruises also include excursions but doing my research I found that the included excursions were not what I wanted to do and I would have had to pay for the excursions I did want to book on top of the supposed to be all-inclusive base-price. So living in Europe you might want to check the European World cruises like Costa and P&O. My first cruise with my now Adult Children we were all 3 in an Ocean View cabin on Costa which was very spacious and we managed for 2 weeks in Asia without any problem. Not sure whether Ocean view cabins are connecting, but they probably do. Check cruise-mapper for layout of any ship you might consider. Now with my children being adults we all have our own cabins 😄which makes our trips pricey.

Edited by BVILady
forgot something
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys 💐

@RICHARD@SEA I'm pretty sure sail boat around the world would drive me crazy, and probably sea sick. Where are the multiple restaurant choices, gym, pools, library and entertainment options? 😋 Why don't you think a world cruise would be right for us btw? I could be wrong but I truly believe it would be the family experience of a life time. My boys will be 16, 14 and my daughter 5. So yeah, little Emilia is too little in a way, but she will appreciate the quality family time I think.

As for the grand parents, the three still alive are healthy and youngish, sometimes I feel older than my 80 yo mother in law at 42 😂

Edited by Carina79
  • Like 3

Carina79, I have been traveling with my kids from age 5 month old and would have loved to do a World Cruise if there would have been a possibility, but would never have been able to get away from work for an extended time like this. The more I think about your plans and if it would have been me, I think that I probably would have booked on Costa. Besides me having taken quite a few cruises on Costa and being booked on 2 World Cruises right now with them, I have been on Princess, HAL and several smaller not so wide known cruise companies included sailing the Greek Islands on a 16 Cabin Sail-boat. Costa has more an international clientele and your children might actually consider learning another language. I probably would take a language course with me onboard, in whatever language they decide on and then when on the ship besides learning on sea-days they can look for people speaking that particular language to practice. My World Cruise 2023 goes around Africa and South America, so I would probably take Spanish, even Brazil is Portuguese. Whatever you decide I know you will have a great time with your family. My "children" are now 41 and 43 and we are going to spend 2 month in Europe this summer together, quality Family-time. Costa 2024 World Cruise is Pacific Islands, Australia and New Zealand and Asia.

• Like 1

Dear @BVILady Thank you for great advice and insight. Costa is definitely on my short list along with MSC and MAYBE Cunard (not sure what I think about their class system and maybe it's too "stiff" for us, but I am intrigued)

The downside with Costa is the bad selection of cabins left (I think it's almost sold out which does say something!) and that I've never tried the line before. I've seen people strongly dislike MSC, but I have been with them twice and liked it. 

MSC and Cunard have not yet released WC 2024..I'm a bit sad I missed the chance with Costa, but I can't book two expensive balcony cabins on deck 4 😑

The boys are already taking Spanish, I do hope it will improve! We have to make sure they are well prepared for school the year after so there will also be lots of reading and maths on sea days.

What do you think about Cunard and MSC btw? 

Edited by Carina79

Sorry for some reason I have not been on Cunard or MSC. Of the well-known cruise-lines I have been on Princess, Holland America and P&O. I saw HAL had an interesting itinerary for their WC, but they are probably sold out by now also.

• Like 1

I think it is a wonderful idea to cruise the world with your children!  While I haven't yet cruised the world (but will be on the QM2 in January 2023) I have been on a few cruises that were actually segments of the world cruises, both on Cunard.  Both times I met families world cruising with children. I agree with "Port Royals" suggestions.  The kiddos "clubs" always look  so engaged and fun.  And the entire staff on Cunard go above and beyond to make every passengers voyage the best regardless of their ages.  

I have cruised around 35 times on different lines and wouldn't hesitate to go for it on Cunard.  I may be oblivious but I have not witnessed the "class" differences.  Yes, they offer staterooms in all categories as does most cruise lines.  Yes, they have specialty restaurants and private areas as do many cruise lines.  Walking around and taking part in the ships activities people are just people, as they are anywhere.

Just my two cents worth and my own opinions.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2022 at 11:26 PM, stoogesmom said:

I think it is a wonderful idea to cruise the world with your children!  While I haven't yet cruised the world (but will be on the QM2 in January 2023) I have been on a few cruises that were actually segments of the world cruises, both on Cunard.  Both times I met families world cruising with children. I agree with "Port Royals" suggestions.  The kiddos "clubs" always look  so engaged and fun.  And the entire staff on Cunard go above and beyond to make every passengers voyage the best regardless of their ages.  

I have cruised around 35 times on different lines and wouldn't hesitate to go for it on Cunard.  I may be oblivious but I have not witnessed the "class" differences.  Yes, they offer staterooms in all categories as does most cruise lines.  Yes, they have specialty restaurants and private areas as do many cruise lines.  Walking around and taking part in the ships activities people are just people, as they are anywhere.

Thank you for your input. I have done lots of research over the last couple of weeks and I lean more and more towards Cunard. What is fine during a week is not necessarily great for 3 months.. While I am patient and haven't experienced a bad cruise (I've done at least 10), I am sure our expectations would be higher/different when the ship will be our home for a quarter of a year! It's hardly cheap to bring five, but at the same time this will be a once in a life time family trip. 

You make a really good point about the "class issue", tbh every cruise line has it.

I'm pretty sure a Cunard WC will be somewhat full of golden oldies, but that doesn't bother me, I like them 😉 I just hope they will like us back ha ha.

I remember when the boys were little and a few grand old ladies of the ship called them "double trouble" 😬 although with a smile 😊

What about the new ship Queen Anne, does anyone think she will venture around the world?

On 2/17/2022 at 2:30 PM, BVILady said:

Carina79 - check costacruises.de - they seem to still show more availability. You might need to call Italy to get what you need (skype to the rescue).

Thanks. I will keep Costa on my short list, maybe Cunard will have a dreadful itinerary or some other dealbreaker. I will just wait and see until spring until I decide for sure..

Edited by Carina79

23 minutes ago, Carina79 said:

Thank you for your input. I have done lots of research over the last couple of weeks and I lean more and more towards Cunard. What is fine during a week is not necessarily great for 3 months.. While I am patient and haven't experienced a bad cruise (I've done at least 10), I am sure our expectations would be higher/different when the ship will be our home for a quarter of a year! It's hardly cheap to bring five, but at the same time this will be a once in a life time family trip. 

You make a really good point about the "class issue", tbh every cruise line has it.

I'm pretty sure a Cunard WC will be somewhat full of golden oldies, but that doesn't bother me, I like them 😉 I just hope they will like us back ha ha.

I remember when the boys were little and a few grand old ladies of the ship called them "double trouble" 😬 although with a smile 😊

What about the new ship Queen Anne, does anyone think she will venture around the world?

I realized golden oldie doesn't mean what I thought it meant, to be clear I meant it as a compliment for senior cruisers 😊 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 11:26 PM, stoogesmom said:

Hi @stoogesmom I now sadly know Queen Anne is not a WC option for us (she will do her first in Jan 2025). Which of Queen Victoria and QM2 do you recommend for a family? If any other Cunerds  😉 would honour me with a response it would also be very much appreciated 😊🙏🌹