Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

Because we have a cruise in December out of Fort Lauderdale, and our travel schedule will require us to be tested there rather than before leaving home for Florida, I began keeping a list of test sites in and around Fort Lauderdale as people posted them here on CC.   This is the list of places, in addition of course to CVS and Walgreens, and the FLL Airport (I've read here that only departing pax can be tested, but I've also read that arriving pax can be as well, so please check to be sure).   

Obviously, I have no personal experience with any of these, so this is not a recommendation, just a list compiled from mentions here on CC that I hope will be of help to others:

Fast Test Now https://fasttestnow.com/

Beepermd.com  866-550-2212  

Labdoctor.org   954-530-4447  

labmastersmd.com/   305-794-7948  

Center for Covid Control   centerforcovidcontrol.org  (847)810-7604.  

https://synergydx.com/   

bluemedconsultants.com   954-361-8239  

Air/Land/Sea Physicals and Consultations; at the airport (but not in a terminal), located at Sheltair FLL https://www.covidfll.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvLyf1pal8gIVmZOzCh3cWgN4EAAYAyAAEgILa_D_BwE

1100 Lee Wagener Boulevard, Suite 346, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Wanted to find out if anyone has used the Celebrity "Conciege" service where Bioreference Company sends a technician to your hotel, home, or office to be given the PCR test.  Supposedly takes 48 hours or less to receive the test results.  We are scheduled for testing on Friday morning before our Edge cruise on Sunday (December 12th),  I am concerned that we may not get the results Sunday for our cruise.  Any feedback?  Thank you.

Lang

I am curious if anyone has used the personic healthcare testing available in Fort Lauderdale (covidtestflorida.com). They allow you to book more than two weeks out which is very helpful. I don’t travel until later I December but curious if anyone has any experience with them. I know I can order the tests from optum but am worried as a number of people appear to have issues so prefer an in person test where possible. 

Curritive dot com is another testing location.  Looks to be about a 10-15 minute drive from the port (across the street from Broward County courthouse) and results in about an hour. It also looks like you can book a day/time 2 weeks out.  

Edited by EMS8
The website is Curative dot com

Be advised that you shouldn't count on the CVS rapid antigen test in Fort Lauderdale.  I've been checking and checking and they do not offer it at any CVS within 25 miles or more of FLL.  They do offer a PCR test, but for those of us flying in a couple days ahead of time that is not really an option as it does not guarantee results in time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Be advised that you shouldn't count on the CVS rapid antigen test in Fort Lauderdale.  I've been checking and checking and they do not offer it at any CVS within 25 miles or more of FLL.

They offer rapid antigen tests at the CVS located at 10241 W Broward Blvd, Plantation Florida, 33324.  Definitely within 25 miles of FLL. 

On 11/21/2021 at 6:50 AM, RichYak said:

Laptop is easier to maneuver the camera while keeping your hands free. Also, the larger screen makes it easier to follow instructions. Combination is not really an option as you need one active session during the test.

Thank you this helps.

22 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

They offer rapid antigen tests at the CVS located at 10241 W Broward Blvd, Plantation Florida, 33324.  Definitely within 25 miles of FLL. 

Interesting. Maybe they just weren’t available.  I kept getting the message that there were non available within 25 mi of Lauderdale.  Could get a reservation for pcr, but not rapid antigen  

1: Has anyone used Fast Test Now?  They have a test location in Ft Lauderdale.  https://fasttestnow.com/ 

2:  Over the counter Abbott Binax test kits have 2 tests in each kit.  The Optum mail order option is a 2 pack or 3 pack.  Does their pack have 2 tests in each pack?  I want to know if I should order the 2 pack for 2 people or a 3 pack as a backup.

3:  How far in advance should I order the mail order kits? 

Thanks in advance for your feedback.  

1 hour ago, johnasmith99 said:

1: Has anyone used Fast Test Now?  They have a test location in Ft Lauderdale.  https://fasttestnow.com/ 

2:  Over the counter Abbott Binax test kits have 2 tests in each kit.  The Optum mail order option is a 2 pack or 3 pack.  Does their pack have 2 tests in each pack?  I want to know if I should order the 2 pack for 2 people or a 3 pack as a backup.

1. I haven't used it.

2. There is only one test per package in the ones from Optum. I recommend getting the 3 pack for 2 people, especially if you can use the spare kit later on.

3. I ordered on a Tuesday for a ship that was sailing the next Monday. I got my kits the next day, but I was probably a bit lucky. You probably don't want to cut it that fine. I would say anywhere between a month and a week out would be ideal.

On 11/9/2021 at 8:55 AM, Nebr.cruiser said:

After much searching and agonizing I have found a local place that sounds very easy and possible for our Covid tests.  We had looked at CVS (apparently not available here; possibly at 13 days out) and Walgreens--only can sign up 5 days out, as well as possibilites at the airport or in Fort Lauderdale, as well as buying the monitored tests.

I called a local convenient clinice (walk-in, urgent care type of clinic) and they assured me that we can just walk in for our rapid antigen test on Friday the 26th of November, with a 15 minute turn-around.  Since we must leave for the airport by about 1PM, that is good news.  We sail the 28th.

We will still probably have some kind of back-up plan in place, of course.

We were told to bring our insurance information; I think it will be covered, but if not at this point we don't care!  We are on Medicare and have supplemental insurance. Very relieved!  We also might try our other urgent care clinic.

Edit to say that at our other Urgent care clinic they will do a PCR only, but results guaranteed 24-48 hours later and they said it's usually 24 hrs.  Results would be sent to my phone.  So I guess another back-up option if something doesn't work out with the rapid test.

Let us all know how that worked out with location, cost etc. 

I'm paranoid because when we travelled to the BVI in August, the test had to be PCR (results took about 48 hours).  So just to be clear, a rapid test is acceptable for the Celebrity requirement within two days of embarkation...is that right?  

1 hour ago, tijc52 said:

I'm paranoid because when we travelled to the BVI in August, the test had to be PCR (results took about 48 hours).  So just to be clear, a rapid test is acceptable for the Celebrity requirement within two days of embarkation...is that right?  

Celebrity's web site (quoted in relevant part below) is very clear as to what tests are accepted for its own requirement, including the rapid antigen test.   (As you found, an individual country might have different requirements.)  

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either one: 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test
  • The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth representative.
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes provider name, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Handwritten doctor’s notes will not be accepted.
  • Telehealth testing at home is only accepted when it meets certain guidelines. See below.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

• Thanks 1

Good morning!  We were on the Nov 20 Reflection cruise.   Back in Sept, before eMed had updated their website, we had ordered a 6-pack from them.  I ordered on Sept 22, and they tests had an original expiration date of Sept 18, extended to Dec 18. 

DH and I used 2 of them at home on Nov 18 in the morning before work.  Got results quickly in our email.  We found we needed to use a laptop to get it to work right. Neither my iPad nor my android phone would work for the test.  The laptop was easy though. 

My DD and DSIL had gotten tested at a CVS near their home (not on FL) about 10am on Nov 18th.  When we met at the airport the morning of the 19th, neither of them had results yet.  Even after landing, they didn’t have results.  Luckily, I had tossed 2 of the Abbot tests into my carry on and they used my laptop in the hotel to test in Fort Lauderdale.  They also tried their phone, and the camera wasn’t good enough on their Pixel 3 phones.  They tested on the hotel and had results in their email quickly and easily. 

DSIL finally got his CVS results in his email about midnight, a few hours before boarding the ship.  So, about 38 hours after testing.

DD got an email after we boarded the ship - her results were inconclusive.  Meaning, if we had depended on that, my DD would not have been able to board the ship.  

The tests from Abbot/eMed were easy and accepted.  That is what we will use on Dec 19 before we head out again.  Sadly, the set of tests I bought before expire the day before.  Luckily, I have a friend sailing a week earlier and she can use them.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 11:00 AM, johnasmith99 said:

Ref question 3. I ordered the tests on  a Tuesday and received them the following Tuesday. That was a few days more than I expected based on input from this forum.

On 11/9/2021 at 2:52 PM, cunn9004 said:

Interested to know where in the FTL airport the testing is done and how long till results.

I like to never found information. The banner link just takes you to the page to make an appointment. Finally, in all of the protocols and advisories, I found A LOT of information along with some FAQ. Hope this helps somebody out! Below is a link.

https://www.broward.org/airport/passengers/flights/advisories/pages/default.aspx

• Like 1