What to do in the Canaries?

Hi all, 

I appreciate I am being somewhat lazy but thought it might be nice to have a good old fashioned post about cruising (ie not COVID).

We are off to the Canary Islands in just over a week and looking for some tips and info on what to do on our own in port or within easy taxi/bus ride of the ports.

Lanzarote, Tenerife and Gran Canaria are the main ones. We've done Lisbon and Madeira before.

If anyone has any other info from the recent Ventura cruises please chip in.

Any info much appreciated.

You can also look in the "Ports of Call" section, which will give you lots of information.

Also, contact Peter Dagnell via other social media for his cruise booklets.

Edited by wowzz
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sir Cumference said:

How can I get these "Peter Dagnell" guides? I'm not on any other social media sites 😞

In short,  you can't.  You have to contact him through the messenger function of the site in question.

If you haven't been to Lanzarote before, a trip to Timanfaya National Park is fun. It is the volcanic area and the guides do a few fun things to show how hot it is not terribly far underfoot. Arrecife, the capital, is not the most inspiring town in the Canaries.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Britboys said:

If you haven't been to Lanzarote before, a trip to Timanfaya National Park is fun. It is the volcanic area and the guides do a few fun things to show how hot it is not terribly far underfoot. Arrecife, the capital, is not the most inspiring town in the Canaries.

In Lanza,  if you have done the national park,  I would get a taxi to  Playa Matagorda, and walk back to Arrecife along the prom, past the airport,  stopping  at various bars on the way for refreshments. 

In Arrecife itself,  El Charco has lots of tapas bars, overlooking the inland harbour, and the roof top restaurant at the Gran Hotel has great cakes,  great views and is reasonabky priced. 

Thank you for that link - it is helpful. However,  still can't find there how to get in touch with this gentleman. I don't intend to "hound" him - just to send him one message and if he choses not to respond, that will be respected.

I just don't understand  why nobody is able or willing to tell me how I can get in touch with him.

30 minutes ago, Sir Cumference said:

Thank you for that link - it is helpful. However,  still can't find there how to get in touch with this gentleman. I don't intend to "hound" him - just to send him one message and if he choses not to respond, that will be respected.

I just don't understand  why nobody is able or willing to tell me how I can get in touch with him.

Just google his name, and all will be revealed! 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 3:36 PM, Bobblehat71 said:

Hi all, 

I appreciate I am being somewhat lazy but thought it might be nice to have a good old fashioned post about cruising (ie not COVID).

We are off to the Canary Islands in just over a week and looking for some tips and info on what to do on our own in port or within easy taxi/bus ride of the ports.

Lanzarote, Tenerife and Gran Canaria are the main ones. We've done Lisbon and Madeira before.

Lanzarote the ship usually docks at Los Marmoles which is a fair distance from Arrecife so there is a shuttle bus that drops you off not far from the promenade. It depends what you like to do, in the past we've taken a taxi to Puerto del Carmen which was okay but nothing more (in our opinion anyway), taken a taxi to Rancho Texas which was ideal for our son, tried the beach in Arrecife which wasn't great (but we had a lovely lunch at La Tabla and enjoyed the walk down the promenade) and taken a (rare for us) excursion to Montanas del Fuergo which was pretty good.

In Tenerife the shuttle bus drops off close to Plaza de Espana (Santa Cruz de Tenerife) so we usually enjoy a stroll around the shops and some lunch (last time at El Lateral 27 which was lovely). We've also walked along the promenade to Cesar Manrique Parque Maritimo which is a family friendly water park with a nice, friendly atmosphere (near to the Auditorio - opera house). You can also take in the Mercado de Nuestra Senora de Africa (African Market) as part of the walk.

In Las Palmas de Gran Canaria we usually walk to the beach and promenade at Playa de las Canteras. The dock is right in the city centre so there are plenty of shopping options and Parque de Santa Catalina (where there are plenty of bars and restaurants) is on the way to and from the ship.

I hope that this helps, if you give us an idea of what you like to do I'm sure you'll get more suggestions.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

Lanzarote the ship usually docks at Los Marmoles which is a fair distance from Arrecife so there is a shuttle bus that drops you off not far from the promenade. It depends what you like to do, in the past we've taken a taxi to Puerto del Carmen which was okay but nothing more (in our opinion anyway), taken a taxi to Rancho Texas which was ideal for our son, tried the beach in Arrecife which wasn't great (but we had a lovely lunch at La Tabla and enjoyed the walk down the promenade) and taken a (rare for us) excursion to Montanas del Fuergo which was pretty good.

In Tenerife the shuttle bus drops off close to Plaza de Espana (Santa Cruz de Tenerife) so we usually enjoy a stroll around the shops and some lunch (last time at El Lateral 27 which was lovely). We've also walked along the promenade to Cesar Manrique Parque Maritimo which is a family friendly water park with a nice, friendly atmosphere (near to the Auditorio - opera house). You can also take in the Mercado de Nuestra Senora de Africa (African Market) as part of the walk.

In Las Palmas de Gran Canaria we usually walk to the beach and promenade at Playa de las Canteras. The dock is right in the city centre so there are plenty of shopping options and Parque de Santa Catalina (where there are plenty of bars and restaurants) is on the way to and from the ship.

I hope that this helps, if you give us an idea of what you like to do I'm sure you'll get more suggestions.

The last few times I visited Arrecife the shop berthed at the 'new' cruise berth next to the marina which is well within a reasonable walking distance of the town.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 3:40 PM, Gettingwarmer said:

Tenerife. Turn left past the circle pool and catch the tram to the old capital La Laguna. Face sitting backwards and watch the views. 

I always suggest taking the tram to La Laguna, which is well worth seeing as very old with some interesting churches and museums, as well as being a lovely place to stroll around. One point though is that, as it is considerably higher than sea level it will be a fair bit colder up there, so take a good jacket with you and wear long trousers, even if warm in the port if you go in winter.  In summer, I suspect it may be a welcome break from extreme heat, but we have always been there in winter.

I did not realise you got views down from the tram as it travels through built up areas, but will sit facing backwards when we go there in December.  Thanks for that tip.

• Like 1

I agree that a trip on the tram is good.

Details can be found here

https://metrotenerife.com/routes-and-timetables/

The destination on the tram will show “La Trinidad” which is the Main Street in La Laguna. You can get the tram at Fundacion which one block past the main square.

You need to buy a ticket from the machine at any tram stop. You need to validate when you get on the tram.

The trip takes about 35mins each way.

Brian 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tring said:

One point though is that, as it is considerably higher than sea level it will be a fair bit colder up there, so take a good jacket with you and wear long trousers, even if warm in the port if you go in winter. 

That is very true. We have also got off the tram half way down by the fountain and walked along the wide tree lined street and through the park back to the ship. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/12/2021 at 10:36 AM, Bobblehat71 said:

Hi all, 

Hi

how did your cruise go?

any tips to share?

we are going to Portugal, Spain-Canaries on the Sky Princess March 28/22. 

• 4 weeks later...

On one of our visits to Tenerife (our favorite visit) we rented a car (within walking distance from the port) and drove to Mt Teide making a few stops along the way.   Once at Mt Teide we drove all the way to the top (we were above the clouds) and did a little walking/hiking (a bit difficult at that altitude) and made a stop at one of the visitor center/restaurants.  We then drove down the back way (towards the North and Puerto de la Cruz and then continued on to Santa Cruz (and back to the port).  It was a fantastic day and it cost us less than $100 (including the rental car and lunch).    Unlike the bus tour excursions we had unlimited flexibility which we really appreciated when we relaxed at lunch at watched bus tours being rushed back to their buses, waiting for dozens to go to the rest rooms, etc.

If you do decide to rent a car you might want to Google "CICAR" which is a popular local rental car company.

Hank

• Thanks 1